Fallout 3 question...

tsl141tsl141 Rising Star
edited November 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
I was going to post this in the Fallout 3 thread, but it seems as if that thread is stuck talking about how to do things in the game, and I figured this would be a quicker way to get a response.

I'm kind of knee deep into games right now (I need to beat GoW, GoW2, GTAIV, plus the on going fun of GH, RB, Scene It, and NHL 09. oh and Assassin's Creed which I totally got out of and will probably never finish now) BUT! I am looking at Fallout 3, and thinking about getting in when I finish the other 3 games, and when it drops in price.

Dilemma: To say I *hate* RPG games is an understatement. I just could never get into any RPG, and they're quite boring to me. HOWEVA! It seems that Fallout 3 isn't your typical RPG game. and looks like it could be some fun.

Now be honest, and don't answer just because you love the game. But, for someone that doesn't like RPG games, would you recommend this game to them? Is there enough parody in the game for it not to be considered a true RPG? I don't want to waste my money on something that I wont like or will never play.

Oh and no, neither renting or borrowing is an option.

Comments

• zack10housezack10house Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Do you like shooters? I feel that (for me at least) it's a shooter with RPG elements. I use the VATS system to aim, but you can just fire freely as well. Yes, there are quests and the like but I often find myself completing them accidentally while just talking to people and...well killing stuff. It's a really good story and I got wrapped up in it really quickly. If this says anything, I hated Fable (liked fable 2), never enjoyed Final Fantasy a whole lot...I'm not really an RPG guy. before I bought this game (due to the awesomeness of the E3 footage i even dropped the extra 20 bucks for the collector's edition which includes a DVD detailing the making of the game, a Vault Boy bobblehead, and an art book) I only had GH, RB, and Halo 3.

i know that was just a mess of words, but get what you can from it and check out some gameplay videos on youtube and see what you think
  • edited November 2008
    I didn't like Mass Effect or Oblivion but I have picked up Fallout 3 and have been addicted to it, theres so much stuff to do and its FPS and a shooter so that makes it even better.
    edited November 2008
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;1580951 said:
    I didn't like Mass Effect or Oblivion but I have picked up Fallout 3 and have been addicted to it, theres so much stuff to do and its FPS and a shooter so that makes it even better.
    FPS=First Person Shooter, so the second "shooter" isn't really necessary, but otherwise I could apply this post to myself 100% (I thought Mass Effect was boring...never really gave oblivion a chance, but still)

EDIT: Fallout Avatar/Location overhaul! :p
    edited November 2008
    bumping so the OP can find their own thread :p
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited November 2008
    I find it to be more of a shooter/pick-up-everything-and-sell-it game than an RPG.
  • R0ck3rR0ck3r Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    You can play it as FPS or third person shooter. Along with what everybody else said, you can make your own weapons, including a rocket launcher that fires teddy bears. Heres a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYxrEX9o6hg

The teddy bear thing is at 6:17 if anybody wanted to know.
    edited November 2008
    R0ck3r;1581350 said:
    You can play it as FPS or third person shooter. Along with what everybody else said, you can make your own weapons, including a rocket launcher that fires teddy bears. Heres a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYxrEX9o6hg

The teddy bear thing is at 6:17 if anybody wanted to know.
    not only does it fire teddy bears....it also fires anything else you could possibly think to put in it
  • tsl141tsl141 Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    zack10house;1581198 said:
    bumping so the OP can find their own thread :p
    Haha. Actually, I posted this right before I went to bed. This is the first time I've been able to check the thread. :o

It's cool that people are saying it's more of a FPS, because that's what I originally thought it was. But after watching and reading all the reviews, they all say it's an RPG. :confused:

I'll probably drop the money down when I finish the other games. I hope eBay is still offering 25% off by then, that's how I got Gears of War 2. I used BIN for $46 - 25% = $34.50 + $4 shipping. I basically got Gears of War 2 for $38 or so. :D
    edited November 2008
    tsl141;1581998 said:
    Haha. Actually, I posted this right before I went to bed. This is the first time I've been able to check the thread. :o

It's cool that people are saying it's more of a FPS, because that's what I originally thought it was. But after watching and reading all the reviews, they all say it's an RPG. :confused:

I'll probably drop the money down when I finish the other games. I hope eBay is still offering 25% off by then, that's how I got Gears of War 2. I used BIN for $46 - 25% = $34.50 + $4 shipping. I basically got Gears of War 2 for $38 or so. :D
    cool. I still recommend you read a little and watch a few vids before you drop the cash, but if you do buy it the game will own your soul. for example, my Fallout purchases: $80 for Collector's Edition, $25 Strategy Guide, not to mention the several hours I have on the game itself and the 2 hours I spent making a wallpaper this morning ( http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/zd10house05/?action=view&current=Fallout3Wallpaper.jpg ) I'm hopelessly obsessed with a game for the first time since rock band dropped back in November. I love it....a lot