come here for music recommendations.

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    instantdeath999;1741924 said:

I'm really open to any era, but I would like to find some good newer bands. Genre's I haven't explored very much include, but aren't limited to, No-wave, Krautrock, Shoegaze, New-wave (you already gave me some recommendations that I plan to try out eventually), Jazz, preferably Free Jazz, Black metal, and Symphonic metal.

Yeah, I'm pretty open right now. For Jazz and Black metal, I'm actually looking for the bigger, essential artists to scratch the surface.
    i already covered classic no wave in that previous post, but i'll throw in more recent ones. i'll try to throw in a variety of eras for the other genres.
    here goes...

no wave: night wounds, be bad, duchesses, malade de souci

krautrock: birth control, annexus quam, german oak, circle

shoegaze: amusement parks on fire, moose, drop nineteens, all natural lemon & lime (the shoegaze thread will have these names and more)

new wave: yeah, just check the bands i sent you before. i'll name more if you want. i'll relist them for anyone reading the thread...
    sparks, the flying lizards, XTC, split enz, the sound, prefab sprout, the boomtown rats, the teardrop explodes, OMD

doom metal: jex thoth, the hidden hand, unearthly trance, harvey milk

(i'll name bigger, but still not 100% totally obvious artists for the below genres... i doubt you need me to tell you to check out darkthrone or john coltrane. but if you need me to fine-tune these suggestions just let me know)

free jazz: alice coltrane, peter broztmann, matthew shipp, last exit

black metal: leviathan, mutiilation, bethlehem, weakling
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited January 2009
    instantdeath999;1745069 said:
    I love the creative band name :)

Also, can anyone recommend me some Doom Metal?
    I'm hardly an expert, but:

Goatsnake, the Obsessed, Electric Wizard, Saint Vitus, Weedeater, Burning Witch.

Also, can someone give me some good Zombies-like 60's pop-rock bands?
    edited January 2009
    schmeankman;1746112 said:
    Also, can someone give me some good Zombies-like 60's pop-rock bands?
    love, the turtles, the left banke, kaleidoscope, os mutantes, the millenium, chocolate watch band, the association, chamaeleon church, the free design, tomorrow, and the lemon pipers.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Alright_Computer;1744752 said:
    I'm starting to get into 80's synthpop stuff like Depeche Mode and New Order, and I'd like to go further. Recommendations?
    Heaven 17 - Recommended Songs: Penthouse and Pavement, We Don't Need This Fascist Groove Thing, We Live So Fast, Let Me Go

Gary Numan & Tubeway Army - Recommended Songs: Bombers, Cars, Down in the Park, Are "Friends" Electric?, Me! I Disconnect From You

Sparks - Recommended Songs: Mickey Mouse, Upstairs, Angst in My Pants, Cool Places, Tips for Teens, All You Ever Think About Is Sex

Yaz - Recommended Songs: State Farm, Don't Go, Winter Kills, Situation, Midnight

Erasure (Warning: Erasure is quite possibly the cheesiest band to ever exist outside the power metal sub-genre; you have been forewarned) - Recommended Songs: Oh L'Amour, Star, Chorus, Who Needs Love Like That, Love To Hate You

Hope this helps! Most of these songs can be found on Youtube.
    edited January 2009
    Runesmith;1746406 said:
    Heaven 17 - Recommended Songs: Penthouse and Pavement, We Don't Need This Fascist Groove Thing, We Live So Fast, Let Me Go

Gary Numan & Tubeway Army - Recommended Songs: Bombers, Cars, Down in the Park, Are "Friends" Electric?, Me! I Disconnect From You

Sparks - Recommended Songs: Mickey Mouse, Upstairs, Angst in My Pants, Cool Places, Tips for Teens, All You Ever Think About Is Sex

Yaz - Recommended Songs: State Farm, Don't Go, Winter Kills, Situation, Midnight

Erasure (Warning: Erasure is quite possibly the cheesiest band to ever exist outside the power metal sub-genre; you have been forewarned) - Recommended Songs: Oh L'Amour, Star, Chorus, Who Needs Love Like That, Love To Hate You

Hope this helps! Most of these songs can be found on Youtube.
    awesome! i somehow missed AC's post (i can't express how hungover i am after last night), and those are some great picks.

AC, also check these bands out that i recommended to instantdeath when he asked about new wave... it's not all synthpop, but i think you'll find it still tickles a similar bone...

sparks (sound familiar?), the flying lizards, XTC, split enz, the sound, prefab sprout, the boomtown rats, the teardrop explodes, OMD
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1746235 said:
    love, the turtles, the left banke, kaleidoscope, os mutantes, the millenium, chocolate watch band, the association, chamaeleon church, the free design, tomorrow, and the lemon pipers.
    Y thank u.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited January 2009
    Thanks to both of you. I'm not exclusively looking for synthpop, so I'll definitely check out afterstasis's recommendations as well as Runesmith's.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Alright I went through them all.

Battles wasn't too bad, I wouldn't mind looking more up by them.

Dol Ammad has a solid sound but I didn't particularly like that songs as well as the others.

Kaddisfly is along the same line of Battles.

Karnataka was great, it's a different take on progressive rock then I am use to but it was a cool song. Magenta was awesome, both of these female fronted bands were good. I haven't heard a lot of progressive rock with female vocals really(besides Renaissance), so it's a nice change from the norm.

Now that I think about it, I've heard of Orphaned Land, Nevermore, and Battles(from you) before hand. Nevermore was solid and Orphaned Land was decent too.

Thanks for putting up the video samples, even if they weren't the best that you wanted.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    JukeBoxHero;1747125 said:
    Alright I went through them all.

Battles wasn't too bad, I wouldn't mind looking more up by them.

Dol Ammad has a solid sound but I didn't particularly like that songs as well as the others.

Kaddisfly is along the same line of Battles.

Karnataka was great, it's a different take on progressive rock then I am use to but it was a cool song. Magenta was awesome, both of these female fronted bands were good. I haven't heard a lot of progressive rock with female vocals really(besides Renaissance), so it's a nice change from the norm.

Now that I think about it, I've heard of Orphaned Land, Nevermore, and Battles(from you) before hand. Nevermore was solid and Orphaned Land was decent too.

Thanks for putting up the video samples, even if they weren't the best that you wanted.
    I am music library. Lolol.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I'm curious about glam rock. David Bowie and now Semi-Precious Weapons got me curious about the genre. Other recommendations?
    edited January 2009
    jeccaneko;1748513 said:
    I'm curious about glam rock. David Bowie and now Semi-Precious Weapons got me curious about the genre. Other recommendations?
    sweet, t.rex, slade, wizzard, mud, gary glitter, and later shudder to think (though not really glam rock it's definitely got a similar vibe, and were one of my last hopes for quality music of that sort).
  • SevinWoohooSevinWoohoo Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone know any bands similar to Gogol Bordello?
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1748852 said:
    sweet, t.rex, slade, wizzard, mud, gary glitter, and later shudder to think (though not really glam rock it's definitely got a similar vibe, and were one of my last hopes for quality music of that sort).
    Would Hanoi Rocks count as glam rock, too?
    edited January 2009
    Runesmith;1749052 said:
    Would Hanoi Rocks count as glam rock, too?
    definitely.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Afterstasis, do you have any mental asylum music similar to Stallagh?
    edited January 2009
    back_blows;1749993 said:
    Afterstasis, do you have any mental asylum music similar to Stallagh?
    check out gulaggh (stallagh's new moniker), silencer, diagnose:lebensgefahr (more ambient but close enough), bethlehem,

musically (but not 100% in line with themes of insanity/asylums), i'd recommend abruptum, urfaust, lifelover, spektr, and velvet cacoon.
    edited January 2009
    Awesome. I'll check 'em out ASAP.
    edited January 2009
    back_blows;1750142 said:
    Awesome. I'll check 'em out ASAP.
    awesome.
    i just noticed i misread your post. i thought you only wanted metal...

you should also check out a lot of outsider stuff... daniel johnston, robbie basho, dave cloud, charles manson, joe meek, scott walker, reynols, wild man fischer, and (my favorite) jandek.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Not to hijack the thread away from the metal conversation that has been happening, but...
    What are the best starting points for the following bands:

Nirvana
    Soundgarden
    Alice In Chains
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Deep Purple
    Foghat
    Judas Priest
    Queens of the Stone Age

Thanks in advance.
    edited January 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;1750216 said:

Nirvana - bleach (i think nirvana's a good band to explore in chronological order)
    Deep Purple - machine head
    Judas Priest - painkiller or screaming in vengeance
    sorry, i can't help with the others.
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1750199 said:
    awesome.
    i just noticed i misread your post. i thought you only wanted metal...

you should also check out a lot of outsider stuff... daniel johnston, robbie basho, dave cloud, charles manson, joe meek, scott walker, reynols, wild man fischer, and (my favorite) jandek.
    I'm just looking for anything psychotic and bizarre really. Thanks again.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Deep Purple:Machine Head/Burn
    Queens of the Stone Age:Songs for the Deaf/Era Vulgaris

Those are the only ones I can help you with.
    edited January 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;1750216 said:

Nirvana - Nevermind
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Alice In Chains - Dirt or Alice in Chains
    Deep Purple - Machine Head, then In Rock
    Foghat - They have more than one song?

I'm no expert here either..
    edited January 2009
    back_blows;1750227 said:
    I'm just looking for anything psychotic and bizarre really. Thanks again.
    awesome. that's my specialty. :)
    let me know when you need more. i could honestly go on forever.
    edited January 2009
    Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger
    Alice In Chains-Facelift

You might also want to check out the supergroup Temple of the Dog.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited January 2009
    back_blows;1750242 said:
    Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger
    Alice In Chains-Facelift

You might also want to check out the supergroup Temple of the Dog.
    I've heard one song by Temple, I think it was Hunger Strike. Thought it was great, if a little repetitive.
    edited January 2009
    TheCrimsonSaint;1750283 said:
    I've heard one song by Temple, I think it was Hunger Strike. Thought it was great, if a little repetitive.
    That song is a bit bland, in my opinion. Say Hello 2 Heaven is a great tune. Chris Cornell lets it go all out on that one.
  • xX_Sandman_XxxX_Sandman_Xx Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1749402 said:
    definitely.
    I would love to have Hanoi Rocks!
  • xX_Sandman_XxxX_Sandman_Xx Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Fizzeler;1741607 said:
    Ok I have another I am going to give Coheed And Cambria and Dream Theater a try what would be any good recommendations for both bands
    Here's a couple great Dream Theater songs

Honor Thy Father (gr8 for drums!) -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxkmPMSzHlE

6:00 -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-yoflzRtE

Pull Me Under (already in GHWT) -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQlygVVlIGE

These Walls -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-W3flzvjrQ

Those are just a couple of the many amazing songs Dream Theater has made.
  • SlashboiSlashboi Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Van Halen - Great for working out.

As for a metal sub-genre...try Ozzy Osbourne's solo stuff. It is Metal but not like today's crazy Metal, a little less crazy.