come here for music recommendations.

afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
edited September 2013 in History of Rock
i'm sure there's been one of these in the past, but i've been seeing several instances where a thread like this would be really useful to keep bumped.

just tell us what you're looking for, or even just what you're into and what you'd like to find. a few examples below...

i'm really digging these mission of burma tracks in the DLC this week. what else should i check out if i'm unfamiliar with this sorta stuff?

i'm new to metal and would like beginners' suggestions for the various subgenres i see mentioned all over the forums.

i wanna get buff. give me energetic music recommendations i can put on my ipod and take to the gym.

i'll do my best to keep up, but it'd be awesome if others will help out.

Comments

• instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    TheCrimsonSaint;1592734 said:
    Good 90's bands? (I only know Nirvana and then Metallica's 90's stuff and Iron Maiden's 90's stuff). I need massive help in this area!
    Are you looking for Grunge?

In that case, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains (absolute must), Screaming Trees, Mudhoney, The Melvins and the Backstreet Boys.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited November 2008
    Good 90's bands? (I only know Nirvana and then Metallica's 90's stuff and Iron Maiden's 90's stuff). I need massive help in this area!
    What genre? There's tons of rock genres from the 90's, but if you're looking for grunge, then go with what instantdeath said. Especially Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. and the Backstreet Boys
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited November 2008
    I also suggest checking out Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Spock Beard, and The Flower Kings if your interested in power metal or progressive rock.(Iced Earth, Hammerfall, power metal, Spock Beard, The Flower Kings, progressive rock).

I'm referring to TheCrimsonSaint, just to clear that up.

Edit:Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention Porcupine Tree.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking for some really raw, angry Black Metal. Something in the vein of Belketre.
  • thesemodrnsocksthesemodrnsocks Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    back_blows;1592908 said:
    I'm looking for some really raw, angry Black Metal. Something in the vein of Belketre.

Hmm.

Off the top:

Beherit- The Oath of Black Blood
    Averse Sefira- Advent Parallax
    Cobalt- Eater of Birds
    Antaeus- Blood Libels
    Funeral Mist- Salvation
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Oh God where do I start? The 90s are, in my opinion, easily the best decade for music.

First of all, I guess it's important to check out what was one of the biggest sounds of the time: grunge. The main groups of this movement were Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots. Of those, I personally think Soundgarden was the best, and since you seem to like harder stuff, I'd highly recommend the albums "Badmotorfinger" or "Superunknown". Pearl Jam's "Ten" is also a great album. I can't speak for the other groups, though, as I'm not really a big fan of them.

What really made the 90s great, though, was the explosion of excellent indie rock and alternative bands. The most influential of the 90s alt-rock bands was probably Pavement. They made 5 superb albums; the best one to start out with is "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain". Keep in mind that it takes a couple listens to grow because it really isn't a hugely accessible album. Some other important indie rock bands in the same vein are Built To Spill (check out "Perfect From Now On" or "There's Nothing Wrong Wth Love") and Flaming Lips (many say "Soft Bulletin" is their best, and it's their most accessible, but I think "In A Priest Driven Ambulance" and "Clouds Taste Metallic" far superior).

On the poppier side of 90's indie, there's stuff like Belle & Sebastian's "If You're Feeling Sinister" which is considered one of the best albums of the time, though again, it may be too poppy for you. Another well-regarded, and probably universally loved album is Neutral Milk Hotel's "In An Aeroplane Over The Sea", which is a great folk rock album that defies description, really. Apples In Stereo are a very Beatles/Kinks sounding band, check out "Tone Soul Evolution" from them.

Another album that's considered really important to alt-rock is "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine; though I really could never get into it, I feel it's worth mentioning.

Getting back to more mainstream stuff, some of the biggest great bands of the 90s were the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Beck, Beastie Boys, Weezer, Radiohead, Ben Folds Five, Rage Against The Machine, Cake, Oasis, and Smashing Pumpkins:

Red Hot Chili Peppers were a funk rock band with hints of pop in the first half of the 90s, then a pop rock band with hints of funk in the second half. You probably know them, but check out "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" (for more funk) or "Californication" (for more pop)

Nine Inch Nails broke industrial rock into the mainstream. From what you said, it sounds like you like harder stuff, so you'd probably like them. Their best album, bar none, is "Downward Spiral", which is sort of a hard rock album with some electronica thrown in. "Broken" is also an excellent hard rock album.

Beck, who you probably know for the song "Loser" is an excellent genre-hopper in the vein of David Bowie. His album "Odelay" is a masterpiece; a combination of hip hop, rock, pop, folk, and numerous other styles. It's one of my top 10 albums of all time, and it's highly recommended. Also worth hearing is his 1999 album "Midnite Vultures" which was a homage to Prince music, and probably one of the most fun albums ever made.

The Beastie Boys may have had some of their biggest hits in the 80s, but they made most of their best music in the 90s. "Check Your Head" is an excellent example of rap-rock done right, and it manages to squeeze quite a few other genres into it. With some punk rock tracks, some jazzy instrumentals, and some great straight-up hip hop, it's almost their best album. (And I have to mention "Paul's Boutique" which was released 5 months before the 90s, but was hugely influential and proved that sampling is an artform).

Weezer made two perfect albums in the 90s in the form of The Blue album and Pinkerton. Both are alt-rock classics, and have tons of memorable melodies and hooks.

Radiohead are probably best known for being incredibly pretentious, but they certainly deserve all the praise they get for "OK Computer" and "The Bends". Both are rock masterpieces, though the vocals may take some getting used to. (If you like Muse, you'll probably like them though). I'd highly recommend listening to both, as usually people like one but not the other at first; they are also growers.

Ben Folds Five are a piano rock band best known for the song "Brick" which actually is nothing like the rest of their music. Both "Ben Folds Five" and "Whatever And Ever Amen" are great pop rock albums.

Rage Against The Machine is probably responsible for more terrible bands than any other band of the 90s, as they made rap-metal huge, but their self-titled album is excellent. With hard-hitting riffs, and charged vocals, it's a great album to rock out to.

Cake are sort of known as a novelty band for their hits like "The Distance" and "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" but they made several very solid albums of horn-boosted alt-rock, the best of which is probably "Fashion Nugget".

You probably know Oasis for "Wonderwall"; they're another Beatles-y alt-rock band. "(What's The Story) Morning Glory" and "Definitely Maybe" are two landmark rock albums that are strong from start to finish.

Finally, Smashing Pumpkins are a harder alt rock band that are sort of linked to the grunge scene but not really. They're very talented (just listen to those solos on "Siamese Dream") and have some very memorable hard and soft tracks on their albums (especially on "Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness")

Also, I can't get through talking about the 90s without mentioning Ween, who are my favorite band. Their music spans a wide variety of genres, and is often jokey in tone, but rarely musically. They are incredibly talented, and they made what is probably my favorite album of all time: "The Mollusk". It's a homage to/send-up of classic prog, and though it has songs like "Waving My Dick In The Wind" it doesn't feel like a joke. Each song is in a different style, but it flows together excellently as an album, and it has some of the most epic songs every written (seriously, check out "The Golden Eel" and "Buckingham Green")

I'm not that well-versed in metal of the 90s, so I'll let someone else take that one, but I would highly recommend Megadeth's "Rust In Peace" and "Countdown To Extinction".

Finally, I feel the need to point out that hip-hop was at it's best in the 90s. Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Hieroglyphics, Wu-Tang Clan (and associates), A Tribe Called Quest, 2Pac, Outkast, The Roots, Nas, Public Enemy, Souls Of Mischief, Snoop Dogg, Digital Underground, and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien are all worth checking out. However, I know many probably have some predisposition to hating rap as a genre, so here are the albums that I would recommend to change the mind of a rap hater:

Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
    Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Ice Cube - Death Certificate
    Outkast - Aquemini

If you hate those, I don't know what to say.

(Wow, I didn't mean to write this much. Congratulations if you actually got this far. I hope it was helpful)
    edited November 2008
    back_blows;1592908 said:
    This is my specialty.

7 things- Miley Cyrus

SOS- the Jonas Brothers

Dead on Arrival- Fallout Boy

Achey Breaky Heart- Billy Ray Cyus

Take a Bow- Rihanna

That's just to start you off.
    edited November 2008
    thesemodrnsocks;1592921 said:
    Hmm.

Off the top:

Beherit- The Oath of Black Blood
    Averse Sefira- Advent Parallax
    Cobalt- Eater of Birds
    Antaeus- Blood Libels
    Funeral Mist- Salvation
    I know the last 4, I need to check out Beherit though. Thanks.
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1592941 said:
    This is my specialty.

7 things- Miley Cyrus

SOS- the Jonas Brothers

Dead on Arrival- Fallout Boy

Achey Breaky Heart- Billy Ray Cyus

Take a Bow- Rihanna

That's just to start you off.
    Damn, that is some angry ****.
    edited November 2008
    wrldindstries302;1592932 said:
    Essay
    This is about as good of a summary you can get about the 90's.
  • thesemodrnsocksthesemodrnsocks Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    back_blows;1592954 said:
    I know the last 4, I need to check out Beherit though. Thanks.
    Nice. I'll throw a few more out suggestions out, although I'm guessing you'll probably already be familiar with them:

Ashdautas- Shadow Plays of Grief and Pain
    Bone Awl- Meaningless Leaning Mess (it definitely fits the bill if you're looking for "raw")
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited November 2008
    Very long post
    I agree here. I'd like to emphasize Beck, since he's my favorite artist. Check out his album Odelay for a surprisingly seamless blend of styles.
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited November 2008

Large List.
    I agree with this, but if you are looking for some "Unpopuler" 90's music that is still quite good, i suggest...

Corrosion of Conformity;
    Deleverance
    Wise Blood

Steve Vai;
    Passion and Warfare

Tesla
    Five Man Acoustical Jam

Slint
    Spiderland

Sterolab
    Space Age Bachelor Pad Music

To name a couple.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    nice to see everyone's been hitting this thread hard.
    back_blows;1592908 said:
    yeah, definitely check out that beherit. there's a reason the largest patch i own is a silkscreened picture of "the oath of black blood".

also check out ildjarn...
    while i personally prefer "forest poetry", i believe you'll find "strength and anger" to be just what you're looking for.
    edited November 2008
    Thanks you two. I haven't given Ildjarn a fair shake, so I'll definitely check out Strength and Anger. In the mean time I'll check out Ashdautus and Bone Awl.
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited November 2008
    Hey any body checked out this?
    Vast - Dont take your love away from me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOOT7vCAo1Q
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    OUTSTANDING POST
    Great job. :) I'd like to add a few more to the list, as I also feel the 90's was second only to the 60's as far as good music. Here's some of the heavy stuff:

Ministry: 302 mentioned NIN, and they get a lot of the industrial rock attention, but they were still a bit poppy for a lot of people's tastes. Ministry was anti-pop. Psalm 69 and the Mind is a Terrible Taste are seminal albums of the 90's.

Karma to Burn: before every dude with a guitar and a bong started a stoner metal band, these hillbillies were making some of the heaviest music in the world. They were so good, no one noticed they didn't have a vocalist until they added one.

Clutch: See Karma to Burn, and add intelligent, with just a hint of ironic humor.

I'd also like to mention Biohazard, who weren't quite my cup of tea but if you're into hardcore you'd prolly like them. They, along with RATM, were the pioneers of Hip Hop/Rap, but don't hold that against them LOL.

Aside from the heavy, the 90's were really the golden age of electronic music, and the movement evolved out of the clubs and into the mainstream. Everyone from the Prodigy to Moby to Portishead to Republica to Future Sound of London and Orbital had amazing releases.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking for obscure New Wave bands or deep cuts from well-known groups of this genre.
    edited November 2008
    Runesmith;1601089 said:
    I'm looking for obscure New Wave bands or deep cuts from well-known groups of this genre.
    here's a handful. let me know if you're already familiar with them.

camouflage
    gina x performance
    rational youth
    q lazzarus
    toyah
    fad gadget
    real life
    silicon teens
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1601206 said:
    here's a handful. let me know if you're already familiar with them.

camouflage
    gina x performance
    rational youth
    q lazzarus
    toyah
    fad gadget
    real life
    silicon teens
    I actually just heard a Camouflage song yesterday on XM, but I can't remember the title of it. Fad Gadget and Real Life (Send Me An Angel is a staple around here) used to be played semi-frequently on one of the 80s alternative stations I listen to, and I know who Toyah is, though I don't think I've heard any of her music before.

I've never heard of the other four, which is great. Thanks. :)

EDIT: I just remembered that Silicon Teens was one of Daniel Miller's sideprojects. I'm a big fan of The Normal.
    edited November 2008
    Runesmith;1601236 said:
    I actually just heard a Camouflage song yesterday on XM, but I can't remember the title of it. Fad Gadget and Real Life (Send Me An Angel is a staple around here) used to be played semi-frequently on one of the 80s alternative stations I listen to, and I know who Toyah is, though I don't think I've heard any of her music before.

I've never heard of the other four, which is great. Thanks. :)

EDIT: I just remembered that Silicon Teens was one of Daniel Miller's sideprojects. I'm a big fan of The Normal.
    ah, hope you can find some new stuff... i'm surprised those three you listed are played on the radio! very cool!

i grew up in a very small town in the south where all but the absolute most popular new wave and synthpop bands were totally unheard of in the 80's, so i have a skewed recognition of what's well-known...

i had no clue that bands like the human league, OMD, and devo were actually quite successful until the internet came into my life.
  • koolwankkoolwank Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Ok, so there's this video compilation (don't be scared, it's about soccer) that has this brilliant background music. I've been trying to figure out what this music is, but so far nothing has helped me (even those services where you can use your phone to identify it).

Here's the link, it's the music that starts right away and lasts for about 2:30.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drScL8q956o&feature=related#

I think it's by this French band named Era, but I've tried listening to their stuff and can't find it. I don't really like this kind of new age music, but for some reason that first song really hits home.

Would appreciate any help on this!

By the way, if you're going to watch 6 minutes of soccer this year, this is probably your best bet... :)
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited November 2008
    edited November 2008
    schmeankman;1602710 said:
    http://www.last.fm/user/schmeankman

Look at my page and suggest away.
    If you like Crosy,Steels, Nash & Young, I suggest some of the stuff they did individually. Check out the Byrds, Hollies, Buffalo Springfield, and Neil Young.
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1602744 said:
    If you like Crosy,Steels, Nash & Young, I suggest some of the stuff they did individually. Check out the Byrds, Hollies, Buffalo Springfield, and Neil Young.
    I have some Hollies and Neil Young. I haven't checked out the others yet. (Steels?)
    edited November 2008
    Byrds are Crosby, Buffalo Springfield are both Stills and Young.
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1602788 said:
    Byrds are Crosby, Buffalo Springfield are both Stills and Young.
    Any album reccomendations?
    edited November 2008
    The easiest option would be to go for a greatest hits.

For the Byrds, this would be the one to get. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Byrds_Greatest_Hits

If you're looking for an album, I would reccomend Mr. Tambourine Man or Turn! Turn! Turn!.

Buffalo Springfield have only released three albums. I'd say their second attempt is the best.
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1603352 said:
    The easiest option would be to go for a greatest hits.

For the Byrds, this would be the one to get. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Byrds_Greatest_Hits

If you're looking for an album, I would reccomend Mr. Tambourine Man or Turn! Turn! Turn!.

Buffalo Springfield have only released three albums. I'd say their second attempt is the best.
    Okie dokie. Thanks.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Check them out: http://www.amouthful.fr/
    It's some interestingly original alt rock.