come here for music recommendations.

Comments

  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Lolicat;2231745 said:
    DO WANT: Something that fuses intelligent (King Kamonzi, Afriika Bambaata, Public Enemy, ATCQ) hip hop with hardcore punk.
    Really, the only thing I can think of is Clutch's song Tight Like That, and that's a little bit more Stoner than Hardcore Punk.

    On the topic of The Boondocks, I love that show. Everyone I know dislikes it for the stereotypical humor, but they don't see that the show is about more than that.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Hungryfreak;2231177 said:
    What could be so inconsistent about the albums? Just wondering, since I try to avoid compilations if I can.

    And if indeed I should go for a compilation, anyone in particular?
    I find that a lot of their songs are a tad...well, aimless and dated. The songwriting isn't exactly the best, either, but this is just me. They're better songs are amazing, though.

    I'd probably recommend getting this (http://www.amazon.com/New-Hope-Wretched-Metal-Priestess/dp/B00005ALHY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239233373&sr=1-4) or one of their live DVDs/albums first.
  • MdrnDayWarriorMdrnDayWarrior Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    What would be a good starting point for Genesis?
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited April 2009
    MdrnDayWarrior;2234204 said:
    What would be a good starting point for Genesis?
    Selling England by the Pound
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Lolicat;2231745 said:
    DO WANT: Something that fuses intelligent (King Kamonzi, Afriika Bambaata, Public Enemy, ATCQ) hip hop with hardcore punk.
    P.O.S. is hip hop with a clear punk influence. I also sort of hear a punk influence in Saul Williams and El-P music, but they lead much more towards hip hop.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    wrldindstries302;2234487 said:
    P.O.S. is hip hop with a clear punk influence. I also sort of hear a punk influence in Saul Williams and El-P music, but they lead much more towards hip hop.
    Uh, no, not really.

    And Hardcore Punk is A LOT different from Punk.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Ultimatum;2234536 said:
    Uh, no, not really.

    And Hardcore Punk is A LOT different from Punk.
    Agreed on both counts. Saul Williams is pretty good, but needs to get over his boner for NIN.
  • thedanielthedaniel Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Lolicat;2231745 said:
    DO WANT: Something that fuses intelligent (King Kamonzi, Afriika Bambaata, Public Enemy, ATCQ) hip hop with hardcore punk.
    Body Count.
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Call me crazy, but I need a good starting point for the Misfits. Any recommendations in particular?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    ZosoBaron;2235210 said:
    Call me crazy, but I need a good starting point for the Misfits. Any recommendations in particular?
    static age and walk among us.
  • FourstringOrionFourstringOrion Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone here knows of a band that has a kind of Thrash sound but without the singing about.. "Questionable" things lol ya know, no Satan stuff. Besides the obvious ones like, Metallica and Megadeth.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited April 2009
    FourstringOrion;2235585 said:
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone here knows of a band that has a kind of Thrash sound but without the singing about.. "Questionable" things lol ya know, no Satan stuff. Besides the obvious ones like, Metallica and Megadeth.
    To think that most thrash bands sing about satan is stupid to begin with.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Check out Exodus and Flotsam & Jetsam, for starters. Also, the german bands like Kreator, Sodom and Destruction. Those guys are pretty obvious, but not big 4 or anything, so if you haven't checked them out, do so. If you've heard them, say so, and Ill give you some other recommendations.
    Runesmith;2234182 said:
    I find that a lot of their songs are a tad...well, aimless and dated. The songwriting isn't exactly the best, either, but this is just me. They're better songs are amazing, though.

    I'd probably recommend getting this (http://www.amazon.com/New-Hope-Wretched-Metal-Priestess/dp/B00005ALHY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239233373&sr=1-4) or one of their live DVDs/albums first.
    Guess I'll check that out, then, thank you.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited April 2009
    supernova1324;2235710 said:
    To think that most thrash bands sing about satan is stupid to begin with.
    I honestly can't think of a single thrash band that has any satanic lyrics.
    Hungryfreak;2235732 said:
    Guess I'll check that out, then, thank you.
    No problem. Let me know if you enjoy it!
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Runesmith;2235752 said:
    I honestly can't think of a single thrash band that has any satanic lyrics.
    Slayer? Venom? Those are the two that come to mind.
    No problem. Let me know if you enjoy it!
    Will do!
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Hungryfreak;2235758 said:
    Slayer? Venom? Those are the two that come to mind.



    Will do!
    But Slayer isn't made of Satanists and they don't worship him. In fact, most if not all of them I believe are Catholic.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    supernova1324;2235771 said:
    But Slayer isn't made of Satanists and they don't worship him. In fact, most if not all of them I believe are Catholic.
    Neither Slayer nor Venom are truly Satanic, but I think FO was referring to lyrics with Satan in them anyways, which they do.
  • FourstringOrionFourstringOrion Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    supernova1324;2235710 said:
    To think that most thrash bands sing about satan is stupid to begin with.

    *Facepalm* I meant that the one's that I've come across all had some sort of thing that they sang about that I didn't like.:rolleyes:

    Or some sort of demonic/satanic themes in their music.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    There aren't very many Thrash bands that sing about Satan or are openly Satanic....
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Hungryfreak;2235758 said:
    Slayer? Venom? Those are the two that come to mind.
    Slayer is more anti-Christianity than Satanist, Araya said that his lyrics are more for point out the flaws in Christianity than being outwardly Satanic.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    In fact, I don't know any that are actually Satanic, unless you count Mercyful Fate's stuff on Don't Break The Oath as thrash.
    Ultimatum;2235905 said:
    Slayer is more anti-Christianity than Satanist, Araya said that his lyrics are more for point out the flaws in Christianity than being outwardly Satanic.
    I know that. Their lyrics mention Satan, though, which is what FO was trying to avoid, methinks.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Ultimatum;2235905 said:
    Slayer is more anti-Christianity than Satanist, Araya said that his lyrics are more for point out the flaws in Christianity than being outwardly Satanic.
    So like the Bill Maher of music?
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited April 2009
    FourstringOrion;2235585 said:
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone here knows of a band that has a kind of Thrash sound but without the singing about.. "Questionable" things lol ya know, no Satan stuff. Besides the obvious ones like, Metallica and Megadeth.
    Anthrax
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Hungryfreak;2235908 said:
    In fact, I don't know any that are actually Satanic, unless you count Mercyful Fate's stuff on Don't Break The Oath as thrash.
    aura noir, onslaught, sabbat, and abigail come to mind.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    supernova1324;2235913 said:
    So like the Bill Maher of music?
    Except unfunny and a general ignoramus.

    Or that might be King....
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    afterstasis;2235941 said:
    aura noir, onslaught, sabbat, and abigail come to mind.
    Gah, you proved me wrong! I didn't really know about the Satanic sides of the last three, though I should have known better with Aura Noir...
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited April 2009
    I already got album reccomendations for Violent Femmes and Melvins, but I still need some for NOFX and Anti-Flag.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    For Melvins, I would actually suggest Houdini, but I can get behind Gluey Porch Treatments as well.

    For NOFX, Punk In Drublic. Can't say I'm fan enough of Anti-Flag to hand out recommendations.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Hungryfreak;2236035 said:
    For Melvins, I would actually suggest Houdini, but I can get behind Gluey Porch Treatments as well.

    For NOFX, Punk In Drublic. Can't say I'm fan enough of Anti-Flag to hand out recommendations.
    Thanks. Hopefully my dad will be willing to drive down to Amoeba so I can get these.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    thedaniel;2234617 said:
    Body Count.
    lolwut?

    Metal =/= Punk
Sign In or Register to comment.