What's are good starting places for The Cramps
    i like "psychedelic jungle".
  • AraghaAragha I posted 10,000 times and all I got was this lousy title
    edited April 2009
    ken i hez sum punk sugeschunz?

i ken hez lyk teh klash lotz
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    Quick, give me suggestions on places to start with these bands.

Ministry
    KMFDM
    Pelican
    Marillion
    Motorhead
    The Melvins
    Athiest
    Cynic
    Wolves in the Throne Room
    The Sword
    Venom
    Xasthur
    Death
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    kwami42;2253434 said:

Motorhead
    The Melvins
    Athiest
    Cynic
    Wolves in the Throne Room
    The Sword
    Venom
    Death
    Ace Of Spades
    Houdini
    Unquestionable Presence
    Focus
    Diadem Of 12 Stars
    Age Of Winters
    Welcome To Hell
    Human
    edited April 2009
    Hungryfreak;2253445 said:
    Ace Of Spades
    Houdini
    Unquestionable Presence
    Focus
    Diadem Of 12 Stars
    Age Of Winters
    Welcome To Hell
    Human
    Thank you kindly! Can someone else cover the others?
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Atheist-Unquestionable Presence
    Cynic-Focus
    Death-Symbolic (favorite Metal album ever), but really anywhere is good, start with anything up to and past Spiritual Healing to hear the Prog
    Pelican-Australasia
    Wolves In The Throne Room-Two Hunters
    Marillion- possibly Misplaced Childhood, Script for a Jester's Tear is good too
    Xasthur-The Funeral of Being
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited April 2009
    kwami42;2253434 said:

Ministry
    Definately look into The Land of Rape and Honey.
    edited April 2009
    Ultimatum;2253456 said:
    Atheist-Unquestionable Presence
    Cynic-Focus
    Death-Symbolic (favorite Metal album ever), but really anywhere is good, start with anything up to and past Spiritual Healing to hear the Prog
    Pelican-Australasia
    Wolves In The Throne Room-Two Hunters
    Marillion- possibly Misplaced Childhood, Script for a Jester's Tear is good too
    Xasthur-The Funeral of Being
    Runesmith;2253459 said:
    Definately look into The Land of Rape and Honey.
    Thanks! I'll just figure out the last two myself, haha. :p
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    kwami42;2253434 said:

Marillion
    Motorhead
    Athiest
    Cynic
    Marillion - Misplaced Childhood or Fugazi
    Atheist - Unquestionable Presence or Elements
    Cynic - Focus
    Motorhead - Ace Of Spades or Overkill
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited April 2009
    HARCORE PUNK

I really need more than the classics like Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, and Minor Threat.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;2262021 said:
    HARCORE PUNK

I really need more than the classics like Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, and Minor Threat.
    the spectacle, zegota, negative approach, discharge, void, faith, red c, tragedy, chokehold, infest, and cursed.
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Besides Apostrophe, what would be a good Frank Zappa album to check out in particular?
    edited April 2009
    ZosoBaron;2262366 said:
    Besides Apostrophe, what would be a good Frank Zappa album to check out in particular?
    "freak out!" is where it's at!
  • dabears116dabears116 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Atheist has a solid 3 album discography, if you like them I'd recommend their other two albums as well.

For Death, Symbolic is the most accessible. Their earlier stuff is death metal (Scream Bloody Gore), and you can try their last album "The Sound of Perseverance", which is less accessible and more of a grower (due to Chuck's black metal-esque vocals), although it has become a favorite of mine.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    afterstasis;2262378 said:
    "freak out!" is where it's at!
    We're Only In It For The Money! is my choice :D
    edited April 2009
    Both are awesome (though We're Only In It For The Money will always be my favorite).

Being a person who jumped on the Harvey Milk bandwagon with their latest release, can anyone recommend me some of their earlier material? I know they've covered a few different territories, so you don't need to give me something that sounds like Life... The Best Game In Town, but just whichever albums are their best.
    edited April 2009
    Hungryfreak;2277047 said:

Being a person who jumped on the Harvey Milk bandwagon with their latest release, can anyone recommend me some of their earlier material? I know they've covered a few different territories, so you don't need to give me something that sounds like Life... The Best Game In Town, but just whichever albums are their best.
    my favorite is "special wishes", but be sure to check out "courtesy and good will toward men" as well.

i love all of their stuff, but those are probably my two favorites with "life..." coming in a close third.
    edited April 2009
    Thank you. I'll be sure to check those out!
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited April 2009
    Looking for all the Bloc Party and Silversun Pickups fans. Lazy Eye being on the main setlist and Melatonin and Well Thought Out Twinkles being Rock Band DLC has gotten me into SP a bit and I would like to know if it would be better to buy Carnavas or Swoon first. For Bloc Party, I've been interested since Helicopter was in GH3 and I've made put Banquet and Hunting For Witches as custom songs for GH2 on my PS2. I'd like some input from you guys on which of their 3 albums to buy first. Thanks for reading this.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited April 2009
    LegendofRock3021;2299606 said:
    Looking for all the Bloc Party and Silversun Pickups fans. Lazy Eye being on the main setlist and Melatonin and Well Thought Out Twinkles being Rock Band DLC has gotten me into SP a bit and I would like to know if it would be better to buy Carnavas or Swoon first. For Bloc Party, I've been interested since Helicopter was in GH3 and I've made put Banquet and Hunting For Witches as custom songs for GH2 on my PS2. I'd like some input from you guys on which of their 3 albums to buy first. Thanks for reading this.
    Silversun Pickups: Pikul >>>> Swoon > Carnavas
    edited April 2009
    LegendofRock3021;2299606 said:
    Carnavas is better imo, so I would go for that. For Bloc Party, I think Intimacy is their best, but I would start with Silent Alarm.

Can I get some good noise and jazz (outside of Miles Davis and John Coltrane) recommendations?

Edit: Oh yeah, and some indie pop reccs for a huge fan of Belle & Sebastian? I love this thread.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited April 2009
    Gowienczyk;2299623 said:
    kwami42;2299628 said:
    Carnavas is better imo, so I would go for that. For Bloc Party, I think Intimacy is their best, but I would start with Silent Alarm.

Can I get some good noise and jazz (outside of Miles Davis and John Coltrane) recommendations?
    Appreciate the feedback guys, thanks a lot.
    edited April 2009
    kwami42;2299628 said:
    Edit: Oh yeah, and some indie pop reccs for a huge fan of Belle & Sebastian? I love this thread.
    Eric Dolphy (Out There)
    Hank Jones (Great Standards, Vol. 2)
    Joe Pass (For Django)
    Mostly Other People Do The Killing (Shamokin)
    Norah Jones (Come Away With Me)
    Oscar Peterson Trio (Sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio)
    Renee Olstead (Renee Olstead)
    Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (World Famous, Wild Peace, Paradise Blue)

Some jazzy records I like, half golden-era half modern-era.
    edited April 2009
    kwami42;2299628 said:

i've been working on a "my favorite of each genre" post forever, so i'm gonna copy/paste some of this out of laziness. :)

jazz albums: peter brotzmann - machine gun, miles davis - *****es brew, alice coltrane - universal consciousness, sun ra - space is the place, and don cherry - brown rice

noise/noise-rock albums: prurient - body language, lightning bolt - wonderful rainbow, orthrelm - ov, panicsville - sterile, and wolf eyes - dead hills

as for stuff similar to belle & sebastian i'd recommend camera obscura, the magnetic fields, and jens lekman.
    edited April 2009
    Gowienczyk;2299663 said:
    Eric Dolphy (Out There)
    Hank Jones (Great Standards, Vol. 2)
    Joe Pass (For Django)
    Mostly Other People Do The Killing (Shamokin)
    Norah Jones (Come Away With Me)
    Oscar Peterson Trio (Sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio)
    Renee Olstead (Renee Olstead)
    Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (World Famous, Wild Peace, Paradise Blue)

Some jazzy records I like, half golden-era half modern-era.
    afterstasis;2299885 said:
    i've been working on a "my favorite of each genre" post forever, so i'm gonna copy/paste some of this out of laziness. :)

jazz albums: peter brotzmann - machine gun, miles davis - *****es brew, alice coltrane - universal consciousness, sun ra - space is the place, and don cherry - brown rice

noise/noise-rock albums: prurient - body language, lightning bolt - wonderful rainbow, orthrelm - ov, panicsville - sterile, and wolf eyes - dead hills

as for stuff similar to belle & sebastian i'd recommend camera obscura, the magnetic fields, and jens lekman.
    Thanks a lot! As you can maybe tell, I'm working on gaining some semblance of knowledge in as many genres as I can.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Gowienczyk;2299623 said:
    Pretty much what he said, but change Swoon and Carnavas. Pikul was a pretty good EP.
    edited April 2009
    timmay9;2300098 said:
    Pretty much what he said, but change Swoon and Carnavas. Pikul was a pretty good EP.
    I personally believe Swoon topped Carnavas, it was a great continuation of that style and really had better songs overall, imo. Carnavas still rules.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Any album reccomendations for these bands?

Bad Brains
    The Posies
    edited April 2009
    Everything they've ever recorded, Supernova.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Gowienczyk;2300488 said:
    Everything they've ever recorded, Supernova.
    I don't have enough money. I have a $100 budget and i'm already using most of it to buy L4D, 2 foo albums, a rise against albums, SOAD s/t, and then one album for each person. What is their best album that I should get?