come here for music recommendations.

Comments

• benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited November 2008
    Hey any body checked out this?
    Vast - Dont take your love away from me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOOT7vCAo1Q
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    wrldindstries302;1592932 said:
    OUTSTANDING POST
    Great job. :) I'd like to add a few more to the list, as I also feel the 90's was second only to the 60's as far as good music. Here's some of the heavy stuff:

Ministry: 302 mentioned NIN, and they get a lot of the industrial rock attention, but they were still a bit poppy for a lot of people's tastes. Ministry was anti-pop. Psalm 69 and the Mind is a Terrible Taste are seminal albums of the 90's.

Karma to Burn: before every dude with a guitar and a bong started a stoner metal band, these hillbillies were making some of the heaviest music in the world. They were so good, no one noticed they didn't have a vocalist until they added one.

Clutch: See Karma to Burn, and add intelligent, with just a hint of ironic humor.

I'd also like to mention Biohazard, who weren't quite my cup of tea but if you're into hardcore you'd prolly like them. They, along with RATM, were the pioneers of Hip Hop/Rap, but don't hold that against them LOL.

Aside from the heavy, the 90's were really the golden age of electronic music, and the movement evolved out of the clubs and into the mainstream. Everyone from the Prodigy to Moby to Portishead to Republica to Future Sound of London and Orbital had amazing releases.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking for obscure New Wave bands or deep cuts from well-known groups of this genre.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    Runesmith;1601089 said:
    I'm looking for obscure New Wave bands or deep cuts from well-known groups of this genre.
    here's a handful. let me know if you're already familiar with them.

camouflage
    gina x performance
    rational youth
    q lazzarus
    toyah
    fad gadget
    real life
    silicon teens
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1601206 said:
    here's a handful. let me know if you're already familiar with them.

camouflage
    gina x performance
    rational youth
    q lazzarus
    toyah
    fad gadget
    real life
    silicon teens
    I actually just heard a Camouflage song yesterday on XM, but I can't remember the title of it. Fad Gadget and Real Life (Send Me An Angel is a staple around here) used to be played semi-frequently on one of the 80s alternative stations I listen to, and I know who Toyah is, though I don't think I've heard any of her music before.

I've never heard of the other four, which is great. Thanks. :)

EDIT: I just remembered that Silicon Teens was one of Daniel Miller's sideprojects. I'm a big fan of The Normal.
    edited November 2008
    Runesmith;1601236 said:
    I actually just heard a Camouflage song yesterday on XM, but I can't remember the title of it. Fad Gadget and Real Life (Send Me An Angel is a staple around here) used to be played semi-frequently on one of the 80s alternative stations I listen to, and I know who Toyah is, though I don't think I've heard any of her music before.

I've never heard of the other four, which is great. Thanks. :)

EDIT: I just remembered that Silicon Teens was one of Daniel Miller's sideprojects. I'm a big fan of The Normal.
    ah, hope you can find some new stuff... i'm surprised those three you listed are played on the radio! very cool!

i grew up in a very small town in the south where all but the absolute most popular new wave and synthpop bands were totally unheard of in the 80's, so i have a skewed recognition of what's well-known...

i had no clue that bands like the human league, OMD, and devo were actually quite successful until the internet came into my life.
  • koolwankkoolwank Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Ok, so there's this video compilation (don't be scared, it's about soccer) that has this brilliant background music. I've been trying to figure out what this music is, but so far nothing has helped me (even those services where you can use your phone to identify it).

Here's the link, it's the music that starts right away and lasts for about 2:30.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drScL8q956o&feature=related#

I think it's by this French band named Era, but I've tried listening to their stuff and can't find it. I don't really like this kind of new age music, but for some reason that first song really hits home.

Would appreciate any help on this!

By the way, if you're going to watch 6 minutes of soccer this year, this is probably your best bet... :)
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited November 2008
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    schmeankman;1602710 said:
    http://www.last.fm/user/schmeankman

Look at my page and suggest away.
    If you like Crosy,Steels, Nash & Young, I suggest some of the stuff they did individually. Check out the Byrds, Hollies, Buffalo Springfield, and Neil Young.
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1602744 said:
    If you like Crosy,Steels, Nash & Young, I suggest some of the stuff they did individually. Check out the Byrds, Hollies, Buffalo Springfield, and Neil Young.
    I have some Hollies and Neil Young. I haven't checked out the others yet. (Steels?)
    edited November 2008
    Byrds are Crosby, Buffalo Springfield are both Stills and Young.
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1602788 said:
    Byrds are Crosby, Buffalo Springfield are both Stills and Young.
    Any album reccomendations?
    edited November 2008
    The easiest option would be to go for a greatest hits.

For the Byrds, this would be the one to get. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Byrds_Greatest_Hits

If you're looking for an album, I would reccomend Mr. Tambourine Man or Turn! Turn! Turn!.

Buffalo Springfield have only released three albums. I'd say their second attempt is the best.
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1603352 said:
    The easiest option would be to go for a greatest hits.

For the Byrds, this would be the one to get. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Byrds_Greatest_Hits

If you're looking for an album, I would reccomend Mr. Tambourine Man or Turn! Turn! Turn!.

Buffalo Springfield have only released three albums. I'd say their second attempt is the best.
    Okie dokie. Thanks.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Check them out: http://www.amouthful.fr/
    It's some interestingly original alt rock.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking for some great psychedelic tunes, specifically from the 60's. Don't mention Jeff. Airplane, as I already have a lot of them.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited November 2008
    Try Gong's Magick Brother if you don't mind really weird tracks. :)
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    Couple bands i want to get into

Bad Brains

Bad Religion

Black Flag

And Bands Similar To Coheed and Cambria,Silversun Pickups,Muse or Rise Against.

Any Suggestions?
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Ok, question for all you doom/sludge metal fans. I've been thinking about trying some of this stuff out (like Sleep and Electric Wizard), but I don't have much of a metal background at all. Do you think I would hate this stuff if I just jumped into it? Should I ease myself into it with some more mainstream stuff first? Thanks.
    edited November 2008
    And Cubecubed, I would look into a band called Fair to Midland...there isn't really much to compare them to, but I think they're most like Coheed.
    edited November 2008
    Cubecubed;1604051 said:
    Couple bands i want to get into

Bad Brains

Bad Religion

Black Flag
    it's hard to recommend a bad brains album, because the "self-titled", "i against i", and "rock for light" are all pretty damn close in quality, but i'd start with the self-titled and then get one of the other two if you like it.

black flag's "damaged" is definitely the place to start with them.

i'm afraid i can't help with bad religion... they never did it for me.
    edited November 2008
    kwami42;1604064 said:
    Ok, question for all you doom/sludge metal fans. I've been thinking about trying some of this stuff out (like Sleep and Electric Wizard), but I don't have much of a metal background at all. Do you think I would hate this stuff if I just jumped into it? Should I ease myself into it with some more mainstream stuff first? Thanks.
    i'd recommend checking out one of the easier to swallow bands (the two you mentioned are fine), and if it doesn't click for you maybe step back into more stoner rock stuff and try doom again later.

also, sludge is typically much easier to get into than doom so if the two bands you listed seem too heavy or repetitive you can try some stuff like neurosis, rwake, or cult of luna.

one band that i recently got into who would be great for newbies to the genre is hex thoth... they come from more of a psychedelic-folk background and it really shows... also, the songs are very short for doom metal and rather progressive/varied.

i know it's a lot to swallow at once, but i'm pretty sure most of these bands have some stuff you can listen to on last.fm for free...
    i will suggest you at least seek out high-quality mp3's (if not the actual albums) of the artists you enjoy, because this style of music is especially handicapped by low-quality audio.
    edited November 2008
    timmay9;1603711 said:
    I'm looking for some great psychedelic tunes, specifically from the 60's. Don't mention Jeff. Airplane, as I already have a lot of them.
    i'm pretty sure these bands were all active in the 60's... if not, it was early 70's...

the zombies, love, 13th floor elevators, amon duul, os mutantes, the electric prunes, kaleidoscope, aphrodite's child, brainticket, and flower travellin' band.

there's a boatload more, but that'll get you started on a wide variety of psych rock.
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1604170 said:
    i'm pretty sure these bands were all active in the 60's... if not, it was early 70's...

the zombies, love, 13th floor elevators, amon duul, os mutantes, the electric prunes, kaleidoscope, aphrodite's child, brainticket, and flower travellin' band.

there's a boatload more, but that'll get you started on a wide variety of psych rock.
    I definitely already have these guys. Odessey and Oracle is almost a flawless album. I'm going to check out the others. Thanks 'stasis.

Edit: Which Kaleidoscope did you mean? British or American?
    edited November 2008
    timmay9;1604286 said:

Edit: Which Kaleidoscope did you mean? British or American?
    actually, both of them are good. "a beacon from mars" is especially incredible.

i prefer the american one, and apparently jimmy page agrees... he said that they were his favorite band of all time.
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1604304 said:
    actually, both of them are good. "a beacon from mars" is especially incredible.

i prefer the american one, and apparently jimmy page agrees... he said that they were his favorite band of all time.
    I can't seem to find them on Youtube or iTunes. Are they on last.fm or Pandora?

Edit: Found them on Pandora.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited November 2008
    Okay, I want some good dance/trance/house stuff. All I know about is Daft Punk. Anyone got some suggestions?
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited November 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1604395 said:
    Okay, I want some good dance/trance/house stuff. All I know about is Daft Punk. Anyone got some suggestions?

Psy Trance - Astrix - Optical Vibes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvCEgNgphyQ

Eskimo - Time To Get Serious
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCA4B25wdGo
  • vandalizemenow00vandalizemenow00 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I need some recomendations. I am pretty picky when it comes to music. I like bands that have some talented musicians and good lyrics. Any song that tells a story word for word is a no no. I like songs that you have to think about and make your own interpretation on what the meaning is. I do not like: Country, Rap, Metal, Pop, Pop Punk. I like: Grunge, Punk, Rock. My top five favorite bands are: Modest Mouse, Pixies, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and The Beatles. What bands that I have never heard of do you guys think I would like?

MMMP
    edited November 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1604395 said:
    I would check out the album "Movements" by Booka Shade.

Mandarine Girl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He80v05zXz8

Night Falls
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Td8xYHrEZ8&feature=related

And thanks for the reply, Afterstasis.