come here for music recommendations.

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    vandalizemenow00;1604426 said:
    I like: Grunge, Punk, Rock. My top five favorite bands are: Modest Mouse, Pixies, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and The Beatles. What bands that I have never heard of do you guys think I would like?
    are you familiar the following...?

broken social scene, cursive, yo la tengo, pinback, the shins, built to spill, band of horses, superchunk, belle & sebastian, volcano i'm still excited, kind of like spitting, the dambuilders, wipers, green river, belly, thingy, and (assuming you definitely know this one, but just in case) ugly casanova.
  • vandalizemenow00vandalizemenow00 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1604680 said:
    are you familiar the following...?

broken social scene, cursive, yo la tengo, pinback, the shins, built to spill, band of horses, superchunk, belle & sebastian, volcano i'm still excited, kind of like spitting, the dambuilders, wipers, green river, belly, thingy, and (assuming you definitely know this one, but just in case) ugly casanova.
    I love Built to Spill, the Shins, and of course Ugly Cassanova, but I will DL a few songs by each of the other artists and if they seem like my cup of tea I will come back and ask which albums to purchase. Thanks for the suggestions.

MMMP
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited November 2008
    I have been posting a buttload of album reviews, that would be a good starting point for all kinds of music. We all have a diverse music palatte, and i am taking suggestions for reviews as well, be it bands, genre's, or whatever. :D
    ^^ great list of bands stasis, i have heard most of them and the ones i havent i will be checking out after posting this. ;)
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited November 2008
    timmay9;1603711 said:
    I'm looking for some great psychedelic tunes, specifically from the 60's. Don't mention Jeff. Airplane, as I already have a lot of them.
    I don't know if this is much help, but I suggest early Steve Miller Band and Joe Cocker (not physcadelic, really, but 60's hard rock). wo0O
  • Cid410Cid410 Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    timmay9;1603711 said:
    I'm looking for some great psychedelic tunes, specifically from the 60's. Don't mention Jeff. Airplane, as I already have a lot of them.
    Alright, the stuff afterstasis listed was good, but here's a few more.
    Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn (obvious but Syd Barrett era Floyd is good stuff.)
    Tomorrow (UK)
    United States of America (kinda Jefferson Airplaney but more experimental and electronic based.)
    The Pretty Things
    Love
    The Misunderstood
  • OomingmakOomingmak Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Anybody know some good french music with female vocalists? Preferably early sounding, stuff from the 50's and 60's would be great.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited November 2008
    Withdrawing my request
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    kwami42;1604068 said:
    And Cubecubed, I would look into a band called Fair to Midland...there isn't really much to compare them to, but I think they're most like Coheed.
    ok ty for this suggestion, i Checked em out. i dont really think they are much Like Coheed,but then again not much is. they are awesome tho.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Oomingmak;1606566 said:
    Anybody know some good french music with female vocalists? Preferably early sounding, stuff from the 50's and 60's would be great.
    It's not old, but I've been listening to Carla Bruni a lot lately. Very folky.
    edited November 2008
    Oomingmak;1606566 said:
    francoise hardy, anna karina, france gall, alice dona, sylie vartan, chantal goya, marie laforet, claire dixon, sheila, christine pilzer, ria bartok, cleo, and patricia carli.

a lot of these artists can be found on the "ultra chicks" series of compilations, so that may be a good place to turn for more names.
  • RyykeRyyke Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    I need some good doom metal albums to listen to. Suggestions?
    edited November 2008
    Ryyke;1607572 said:
    here are some good albums for an intro to doom...

sleep - holy mountain
    rwake - voice of omens
    electric wizard - dopethrone
    sunn 0))) - black one
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Ryyke;1607572 said:
    St. Vitus - Mournful Cries
    Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics, We Live
    Sleep - Dopesmoker/Jerusalem
    Everything Afterstasis mentioned

Where to start with Darkthrone? I already have Transilvanian Hunger, is that good enough to start or should I get anything else?
    edited November 2008
    DarkSide247;1608750 said:

Where to start with Darkthrone? I already have Transilvanian Hunger, is that good enough to start or should I get anything else?
    yeah, i'd say that's a great starting point (and their finest album).
    if you're into exploring their more punk-influenced material you can check out "F.O.A.D." and if you'd like to hear their take on death metal then check out "soulside journey".

if you'd rather work your way up to "transilvanian hunger" then the two preceding albums are also fantastic... "a blaze in the northern sky" and "under a funeral moon".
  • bierfahtbierfaht Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Alright_Computer;1592891 said:
    What genre? There's tons of rock genres from the 90's, but if you're looking for grunge, then go with what instantdeath said. Especially Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. and the Backstreet Boys
    good grunge? the band Tad: inhaler and infrared riding hood are awesome!
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1608776 said:
    yeah, i'd say that's a great starting point (and their finest album).
    if you're into exploring their more punk-influenced material you can check out "F.O.A.D." and if you'd like to hear their take on death metal then check out "soulside journey".

if you'd rather work your way up to "transilvanian hunger" then the two preceding albums are also fantastic... "a blaze in the northern sky" and "under a funeral moon".
    Okay, thanks.
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1604159 said:
    it's hard to recommend a bad brains album, because the "self-titled", "i against i", and "rock for light" are all pretty damn close in quality, but i'd start with the self-titled and then get one of the other two if you like it.

black flag's "damaged" is definitely the place to start with them.

i'm afraid i can't help with bad religion... they never did it for me.
    for bad religion, start with generator, then recipe for hate
    edited November 2008
    now a request...indie with electronic elements like The Notwist. please don't say postal service though
    edited November 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1604395 said:
    Okay, I want some good dance/trance/house stuff. All I know about is Daft Punk. Anyone got some suggestions?
    I suggest Ben Neill and Apoptygma Berzerk.
    edited November 2008
    bierfaht;1608797 said:
    now a request...indie with electronic elements like The Notwist. please don't say postal service though
    ulrich schnauss
    architecture in helsinki (particularly "in case we die")
    caribou
    schneider tm
    boy in static
    casiotone for the painfully alone
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited November 2008
    Starship Trooper by Yes has infiltrated my "best songs ever" list. Recommend me some Yes!
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited November 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;1609056 said:
    Starship Trooper by Yes has infiltrated my "best songs ever" list. Recommend me some Yes!
    Check out Fragile. One of the best prog albums ever. Also, you should check out The Yes Album, which Starship Trooper is on.
    edited November 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;1609056 said:
    Start with Tales from Topographic Oceans, Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, and Fragile.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited November 2008
    DarkSide247;1609070 said:
    Start with Tales from Topographic Oceans, Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, and Fragile.
    I would recommend listening to Tales from Topographic Oceans last due to the length of each four songs. Other wise that is exactly what I would suggest besides possibly trying Drama.
    edited November 2008
    DarkSide247;1608801 said:
    I suggest Ben Neill and Apoptygma Berzerk.
    Beware of Apop! They turned into a really bad emo band for the last record.
  • RyykeRyyke Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1607644 said:
    here are some good albums for an intro to doom...

sleep - holy mountain
    rwake - voice of omens
    electric wizard - dopethrone
    sunn 0))) - black one
    Darkside247 said:
    St. Vitus - Mournful Cries
    Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics, We Live
    Sleep - Dopesmoker/Jerusalem
    Thanks for the recommendations! I'm listening to Electric Wizard's Come My Fanatics now, and liking it.
  • betlwedlbetlwedl Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    Hey, I've been looking for some good Prog metal lately. I already know all the obvious ones though (Dream theater, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, Cynic). Thanks!
    edited November 2008
    Soror_YZBL;1609575 said:
    Beware of Apop! They turned into a really bad emo band for the last record.
    Hm, I wasn't aware of that. (I've mainly only heard stuff from 7 and Soli Deo Gloria)
    edited November 2008
    betlwedl;1612448 said:
    Hey, I've been looking for some good Prog metal lately. I already know all the obvious ones though (Dream theater, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, Cynic). Thanks!
    If you don't mind Prog. Death, try Gojira.
    edited November 2008
    DarkSide247;1612592 said:
    Hm, I wasn't aware of that. (I've mainly only heard stuff from 7 and Soli Deo Gloria)
    Those are great records, and Welcome to Earth is AMAZING. The next record was actually more synthpop, but I love it anyhow. the last record though, 3 years ago, was just awful.