The Rolling Stone's 100 greatest singers of all time

Comments

• brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited November 2008
    I can see why people would Kurt Cobain is to high but he had a very large impact on many of todays singers.
  • WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I love Nirvana and am only marginally into Tool, but come on. Kurt Cobain is on the list and Maynard James Keenan isn't? This list seems more like verbal fellatio for old/respected artists than serious journalism.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited November 2008
    brobot;1594488 said:
    I can see why people would Kurt Cobain is to high but he had a very large impact on many of todays singers.
    Does that make him a great singer? No. It makes him influential.
    edited November 2008
    Cpt. Overkill;1594498 said:
    What makes a good singer though?

Many people love Tom Waits and he sounds like he is gurgling acid. I think it is very subjective as many things are but you also have to think of lyrics.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited November 2008
    brobot;1594507 said:
    What makes a good singer though?

Many people love Tom Waits and he sounds like he is gurgling acid. I think it is very subjective as many things are but you also have to think of lyrics.
    Lyrics=/=Singers Talent.

They may be a talented lyricist, but that doesnt make them a singer. Sure, a lot of people might LOVE something, like The Jonas Brothers, but that doesnt mean they have a lot of talent.
    edited November 2008
    Cpt. Overkill;1594512 said:
    Lyrics=/=Singers Talent.

They may be a talented lyricist, but that doesnt make them a singer. Sure, a lot of people might LOVE something, like The Jonas Brothers, but that doesnt mean they have a lot of talent.
    Ok what makes a good singer?

Many jazz and blues artists and what not are great singers but don't have a great voice.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited November 2008
    brobot;1594488 said:
    Kurt Cobain ... he had a very large impact on many of todays singers.
    Exactly. Granted, any list of "great" singers is going to be subjective, but influence should not be a factor. You might as well include number of records sold as a factor if you're going to do that.

And while Aguilera does have a decent enough voice, she is in no way a better singer than a lot of the people on that list that she's higher than.
    edited November 2008
    Then what else would you gauge a list against. There is no singular aspect of any vocalist that you can judge on.

If you want objective results you would have to have something like loudest or highest pitch. There are many more people that I would put on the list that many would disagree with but the "greatest" anything is going to be subjective and based on opinion.
  • Rock_Band_OverRock_Band_Over Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Each voter was asked to list his or her 20 favorite vocalists from the rock era, in order of their importance. Those ballots were recorded and weighted according to methodology developed by the accounting firm of Ernst & Young, which then tabulated and verified the results for Rolling Stone.

There's no way of knowing how the panel interpreted this... it does seem that maybe not everyone really focused that much on actual singing talent. The term 'importance' is highly subjective and 'rock era' is also vague. And of course, the actual ranking is being done by a financial auditing firm, so take that as you will.

These lists always use "Greatest" and it just means whatever they want it to mean. But then again, who wants to read a list of the "Favorite Singers of the Rock Era (sorted by order of importance)"?
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited November 2008
    Mike Patton is nowhere to be found on the page
    fail
  • theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Am I the only one who does not see Brad Delp?
  • edited November 2008
    Joe Strummer isn't on there? Whats up? You try singing at punk speeds and play guitar at the same time....How is Christina Agulera (or however you spell it) on this list?
  • Metal_ManMetal_Man Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    is bruce dickinson on this list

EDIT: no he is not so this list of so called "greatest singers" is therefore A LIE
  • edited November 2008
    Metal_Man;1595198 said:
    is bruce dickinson on this list
    No, I don't know how they could leave him out. He's a beast of a singer
    edited November 2008
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;1595204 said:
    I know, personally I think they choose the wrong bruce
  • andrewyamoandrewyamo Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Tiny Tim isn't on here. That is insane. That guy had huge vocal range and was an amazing singer.
  • visualdeityvisualdeity Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Yeah. Kurt Cobain had one of the worst voices I've ever heard. The fact that he's even on the list makes this list a failure, much less the fact that he's above other artists with actual talent.
    edited November 2008
    visualdeity;1595376 said:
    Yeah. Kurt Cobain had one of the worst voices I've ever heard. The fact that he's even on the list makes this list a failure, much less the fact that he's above other artists with actual talent.
    Although I wouldn't say he had a horrible voice and was a bad singer, you guys have to take into account this isn't a most TALENTED singers of all time list. This is greatest, the best overall package of a singer, and that includes he or she's mark on history.
    edited November 2008
    theantkid12;1595387 said:
    Although I wouldn't say he had a horrible voice and was a bad singer, you guys have to take into account this isn't a most TALENTED singers of all time list. This is greatest, the best overall package of a singer, and that includes he or she's mark on history.
    In that case, the list is still complete fail. Kurt Cobain is listed ahead of Steven Tyler, John Fogerty (sp?), Roger Daltrey, and Art Garfunkel. ALL of those artists (well, maybe except Tyler, he's influential, but an average singer) have more talent in their little finger than Cobain had in his entire body, AND they made a much huger impression on history than him.

This list is made of so much fail.
  • HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    lol... Axl Rose? Really?
  • AraghaAragha I posted 10,000 times and all I got was this lousy title
    edited November 2008
    theantkid12;1594975 said:
    Am I the only one who does not see Brad Delp?
    No. He definitely should have been on there. He's the second most talented singer I listen to often. Only behind Mercury.
  • ElegyElegy Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;1595204 said:
    RS hates Iron Maiden, don't they?
  • spheresphere Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Really, they threw on Axl Rose and Joe Perry and no mention of Brad Delp?

Did they actually leave off Brad Delp?
    edited November 2008
    sphere;1595836 said:
    Really, they threw on Axl Rose and Joe Perry and no mention of Brad Delp?

Did they actually leave off Brad Delp?
    Exactly.

And, they left the "Boston" album off of the top 25 greatest albums.
    edited November 2008
    Elegy;1595416 said:
    RS hates Iron Maiden, don't they?
    ok it's official rolling stones is NOT a music magazine in fact it's a poser magazine for people who think they like rock but they really listen to hannah montana.
  • spheresphere Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Metal_Man;1596197 said:
    ok it's official rolling stones is NOT a music magazine in fact it's a poser magazine for people who think they like rock but they really listen to hannah montana.
    My good sir, while I fully agree with your post, your signature appears to have one too man close color tags.
  • rgdraftingrgdrafting Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    It seems that there is an unusually large percentage of people that have an almost vehement hatred for Kurt Cobain. Is it because he (allegedly :rolleyes:) commit suicide?

Let me first say that I don't believe he should be at #45 on this list....he probably shouldn't even be at #145 on a list of "great singers". But why people try to completely discount his influence on music & pop culture is beyond me.

Anybody care to explain this to me?

For the record:
    Bob Marley shouldn't be on this list (at least as high as he is). Massively influential - yes. Greatest singer - maybe.

Johnny Cash. See Bob Marley.

Christina Aguilera should definitely be on this list. The girl can sing.
    edited November 2008
    rgdrafting;1596360 said:
    It seems that there is an unusually large percentage of people that have an almost vehement hatred for Kurt Cobain. Is it because he (allegedly :rolleyes:) commit suicide?
    I think "hate" is the wrong word. I have nothing against him personally (and wouldn't even if he were still alive), but I do think he shouldn't be appearing on a list of great singers, because he was an awful singer (seriously, worst voice I have ever heard from a professional singer... he could hit notes properly, but that's all one could say for him).

More generally, I'm strongly of the opinion that he was a talentless musician in general, so I'd object to him being on any list of "great musicians", whether he wields influence or not.
  • InpheksionInpheksion The Cat's Meow
    edited November 2008
    Agree with
    rgdrafting.

Cobain has made some good music, and his lyrics are outstanding.

However, singing talent, was one thing this man did not possess in great amounts.

As well as guitar skills. He can play decent. However, if you think Cobain is an "Amazing" guitarist, you really are a fanatical follower of Nirvana

EDIT: And how can you say he is a talentless musician? If there was a list of greatest lyricists of Music I would definitely put him near the top.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    No Ronnie James Dio despite being well into his 60s and sounding almost exactly the way he did 30+ years ago and sporting some incredibly difficult vocal lines.

And if Dylan's No. 7, I can see how Kurt ended up in the high 40s.