The Rolling Stone's 100 greatest singers of all time

Comments

  • LZ_69LZ_69 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Agreed TopperHarley, How dare they not include singers like Sammy Davis Jr.

    I have always considered Kurt Cobain (who is in the list) a great musician/songwriter but one terrible singer....well maybe not terrible but he was certanly no Sammy Davis.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited November 2008
    ...This isnt a good list.
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited November 2008
    Cpt. Overkill;1594447 said:
    ...This isnt a good list.
    I ask why you think so.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited November 2008
    brobot;1594453 said:
    I ask why you think so.
    Kurt Cobain is higher than a lot of singers that are way better than him, hell, he doesnt even belong on the list.

    Ill look at it again and list. Also, Aguilera doesnt even belong on that list.

    Jim Morrison
    Roger Daltrey
    Axl Rose
    Thom Yorke
    Gregg Allman
    Steve Perry
    Stevie Nicks
    Steven Tyler

    Just a quick list of people that I scrolled through in about 1 minute.
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited November 2008
    I can see why people would Kurt Cobain is to high but he had a very large impact on many of todays singers.
  • WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I love Nirvana and am only marginally into Tool, but come on. Kurt Cobain is on the list and Maynard James Keenan isn't? This list seems more like verbal fellatio for old/respected artists than serious journalism.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited November 2008
    brobot;1594488 said:
    I can see why people would Kurt Cobain is to high but he had a very large impact on many of todays singers.
    Does that make him a great singer? No. It makes him influential.
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited November 2008
    Cpt. Overkill;1594498 said:
    Does that make him a great singer? No. It makes him influential.
    What makes a good singer though?

    Many people love Tom Waits and he sounds like he is gurgling acid. I think it is very subjective as many things are but you also have to think of lyrics.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited November 2008
    brobot;1594507 said:
    What makes a good singer though?

    Many people love Tom Waits and he sounds like he is gurgling acid. I think it is very subjective as many things are but you also have to think of lyrics.
    Lyrics=/=Singers Talent.

    They may be a talented lyricist, but that doesnt make them a singer. Sure, a lot of people might LOVE something, like The Jonas Brothers, but that doesnt mean they have a lot of talent.
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited November 2008
    Cpt. Overkill;1594512 said:
    Lyrics=/=Singers Talent.

    They may be a talented lyricist, but that doesnt make them a singer. Sure, a lot of people might LOVE something, like The Jonas Brothers, but that doesnt mean they have a lot of talent.
    Ok what makes a good singer?

    Many jazz and blues artists and what not are great singers but don't have a great voice.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited November 2008
    brobot;1594488 said:
    Kurt Cobain ... he had a very large impact on many of todays singers.
    Cpt. Overkill;1594498 said:
    Does that make him a great singer? No. It makes him influential.
    Exactly. Granted, any list of "great" singers is going to be subjective, but influence should not be a factor. You might as well include number of records sold as a factor if you're going to do that.

    And while Aguilera does have a decent enough voice, she is in no way a better singer than a lot of the people on that list that she's higher than.
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited November 2008
    Then what else would you gauge a list against. There is no singular aspect of any vocalist that you can judge on.

    If you want objective results you would have to have something like loudest or highest pitch. There are many more people that I would put on the list that many would disagree with but the "greatest" anything is going to be subjective and based on opinion.
  • Rock_Band_OverRock_Band_Over Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Each voter was asked to list his or her 20 favorite vocalists from the rock era, in order of their importance. Those ballots were recorded and weighted according to methodology developed by the accounting firm of Ernst & Young, which then tabulated and verified the results for Rolling Stone.

    There's no way of knowing how the panel interpreted this... it does seem that maybe not everyone really focused that much on actual singing talent. The term 'importance' is highly subjective and 'rock era' is also vague. And of course, the actual ranking is being done by a financial auditing firm, so take that as you will.

    These lists always use "Greatest" and it just means whatever they want it to mean. But then again, who wants to read a list of the "Favorite Singers of the Rock Era (sorted by order of importance)"?
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited November 2008
    Mike Patton is nowhere to be found on the page
    fail
  • theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Am I the only one who does not see Brad Delp?
  • edited November 2008
    Joe Strummer isn't on there? Whats up? You try singing at punk speeds and play guitar at the same time....How is Christina Agulera (or however you spell it) on this list?
  • Metal_ManMetal_Man Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    is bruce dickinson on this list

    EDIT: no he is not so this list of so called "greatest singers" is therefore A LIE
  • edited November 2008
    Metal_Man;1595198 said:
    is bruce dickinson on this list
    No, I don't know how they could leave him out. He's a beast of a singer
  • Metal_ManMetal_Man Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;1595204 said:
    No, I don't know how they could leave him out. He's a beast of a singer
    I know, personally I think they choose the wrong bruce
  • andrewyamoandrewyamo Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Tiny Tim isn't on here. That is insane. That guy had huge vocal range and was an amazing singer.
  • visualdeityvisualdeity Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Cpt. Overkill;1594498 said:
    Does that make him a great singer? No. It makes him influential.
    Yeah. Kurt Cobain had one of the worst voices I've ever heard. The fact that he's even on the list makes this list a failure, much less the fact that he's above other artists with actual talent.
  • theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    visualdeity;1595376 said:
    Yeah. Kurt Cobain had one of the worst voices I've ever heard. The fact that he's even on the list makes this list a failure, much less the fact that he's above other artists with actual talent.
    Although I wouldn't say he had a horrible voice and was a bad singer, you guys have to take into account this isn't a most TALENTED singers of all time list. This is greatest, the best overall package of a singer, and that includes he or she's mark on history.
  • visualdeityvisualdeity Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    theantkid12;1595387 said:
    Although I wouldn't say he had a horrible voice and was a bad singer, you guys have to take into account this isn't a most TALENTED singers of all time list. This is greatest, the best overall package of a singer, and that includes he or she's mark on history.
    In that case, the list is still complete fail. Kurt Cobain is listed ahead of Steven Tyler, John Fogerty (sp?), Roger Daltrey, and Art Garfunkel. ALL of those artists (well, maybe except Tyler, he's influential, but an average singer) have more talent in their little finger than Cobain had in his entire body, AND they made a much huger impression on history than him.

    This list is made of so much fail.
  • HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    lol... Axl Rose? Really?
  • AraghaAragha I posted 10,000 times and all I got was this lousy title
    edited November 2008
    theantkid12;1594975 said:
    Am I the only one who does not see Brad Delp?
    No. He definitely should have been on there. He's the second most talented singer I listen to often. Only behind Mercury.
  • ElegyElegy Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;1595204 said:
    No, I don't know how they could leave him out. He's a beast of a singer
    RS hates Iron Maiden, don't they?
  • spheresphere Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Really, they threw on Axl Rose and Joe Perry and no mention of Brad Delp?

    Did they actually leave off Brad Delp?
  • theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    sphere;1595836 said:
    Really, they threw on Axl Rose and Joe Perry and no mention of Brad Delp?

    Did they actually leave off Brad Delp?
    Exactly.

    And, they left the "Boston" album off of the top 25 greatest albums.
  • Metal_ManMetal_Man Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Elegy;1595416 said:
    RS hates Iron Maiden, don't they?
    ok it's official rolling stones is NOT a music magazine in fact it's a poser magazine for people who think they like rock but they really listen to hannah montana.
  • spheresphere Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Metal_Man;1596197 said:
    ok it's official rolling stones is NOT a music magazine in fact it's a poser magazine for people who think they like rock but they really listen to hannah montana.
    My good sir, while I fully agree with your post, your signature appears to have one too man close color tags.
Sign In or Register to comment.