Rolling Stones 50 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
edited November 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys
3. Revolver, The Beatles
4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan
5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles
6. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
7. Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones
8. London Calling, The Clash
9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan
10. The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles
11. The Sun Sessions, Elvis Presley
12. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis
13. Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground
14. Abbey Road, The Beatles
15. Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
16. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
17. Nevermind, Nirvana
18. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
19. Astral Weeks, Van Morrison
20. Thriller, Michael Jackson
21. The Great Twenty-Eight, Chuck Berry
22. Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon
23. Innervisions, Stevie Wonder
24. Live at the Apollo (1963), James Brown
25. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
26. The Joshua Tree, U2
27. King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol. 1, Robert Johnson
28. Who's Next, The Who
29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
30. Blue, Joni Mitchell
31. Bringing It All Back Home, Bob Dylan
32. Let It Bleed, The Rolling Stones
33. Ramones, Ramones
34. Music From Big Pink, The Band
35. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, David Bowie
36. Tapestry, Carole King
37. Hotel California, The Eagles
38. The Anthology, 1947 - 1972, Muddy Waters
39. Please Please Me, The Beatles
40. Forever Changes, Love
41. Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, The Sex Pistols
42. The Doors, The Doors
43. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
44. Horses, Patti Smith
45. The Band, The Band
46. Legend, Bob Marley and the Wailers
47. A Love Supreme, John Coltrane
48. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Public Enemy
49. At Fillmore East, The Allman Brothers Band
50. Here's Little Richard, Little Richard

Of course I am pleased, but not surprised, to see The Beatles have six of the top fifty albums of all time.

Comments

• theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Still wondering why Rolling Stone neglects Boston...
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Yes, Boston does have some awsome music.
  • bse523bse523 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    And how they think Nevermind is better than Hotel California? Discredits them instantly.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Marvin Gaye's a little bit too low, but such is life. What's Going On should definitely be in the top four.
    edited November 2008
    I am glad to see they included some stuff that isn't "mainstream" or very well known in today's world...like Muddy Waters.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    Sargehalo51;1595246 said:

8. London Calling, The Clash
    23. Innervisions, Stevie Wonder
    30. Blue, Joni Mitchell
    36. Tapestry, Carole King
    37. Hotel California, The Eagles
    41. Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, The Sex Pistols
    though my top 50 would look WAY different, the above are the only albums i don't care for so i don't think it's bad at all for a "playing it safe" list.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Never Mind the Bollocks should be much higher...top to bottom punk greatness. Shouldn't be higher than The Ramones, but Ramones 20-25 and Bollocks 25-30 seems more fitting.
  • FloodOneFloodOne Headliner
    edited November 2008
    I'm a little surprised Metallica's "Black Album" didn't make the list... I mean, it DID introduce metal into the mainstream, even tho it was a decidedly(sp?) less metal album than their previous work... but this is Rolling Stone after all....
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited November 2008
    Hard on for the Beatles much? :rolleyes:

The Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme picks smack of "we should put a couple of jazz albums on the list to show how diverse our list is, and we've heard that those two are totally awesome, so let's go with those".

And #38 is a lazy pick - an anthology? Really?
  • HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Isn't this list from 2002 or something?
    edited November 2008
    I don't know when it was put out by Rolling Stone, I just happened to see it and thought it was interesting.
  • SatoshiSatoshi Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    What? No OK Computer from radiohead? That is one of the best albums of all time.... This list fails in my opinion
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I really don't understand why people cling to the idea of Sgt. Pepper's being some kind of rock and roll masterpiece. It's an extremely uneven album, and while some tracks are excellent, others are completely average.
    It's nowhere near the Beatles' best work, and it hurts my head that people still think it's the best rock album of all time.
    Oh, and also, it's not a concept album just because Paul McCartney says it is. Sorry.
  • Firepenguin99Firepenguin99 Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Nevermind is higher than Who's Next, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Dark Side of the Moon and The Joshua Tree. Huh?
  • MeleeManMeleeMan Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Where is Weezer?! PINKERTON!!!! THE BLUE ALBUM!!!!!!
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    MeleeMan;1596156 said:
    Where is Weezer?! PINKERTON!!!! THE BLUE ALBUM!!!!!!
    I think both those albums are on their 500 list.
  • MeleeManMeleeMan Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    instantdeath999;1596157 said:
    I think both those albums are on their 500 list.
    They better ******* be on their ******* **** ************ *** 500 **** list!!!!!!! **** Rolling Stone!!!!!! =w=
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1595316 said:
    though my top 50 would look WAY different, the above are the only albums i don't care for so i don't think it's bad at all for a "playing it safe" list.
    I'm rather sad that there is no Cream(I have a lot more bands in mind but the fact that their are not mentioned saddens me). :(
  • Chief StubbsChief Stubbs Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Dark Side of the Moon is top ten material. Nevermind is top 200 material.
    Also, I never noticed that Nation of Millions was on the list.
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    First of all, no way in hell does Nevermind the Bullocks deserve to be top 50. Granted...it's not in my top 200, but even an unbiased person shouldnt even be able to put that 2 song album into there. (Yes...it's 2 songs repeated over and over again, with less talented writing..even by their standards).

Secondly....I'm really getting upset with this notion that Sgt. Peppers is the best album of all time. And more importantly, I'm tired of the "you had to be there" argument when you debate it. Guess what...anyone that "wasn't there" knows Sgt. Peppers isn't even the best Beatles album. Probably not top 3 in their list (Abbey Road, Revolver, White Album blow it away). It's an unfufilled promise, with two of the best songs that were SUPPOSED to be on the album thrown off. You can't do revisionist history and act like Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane are on the album.
  • rgdraftingrgdrafting Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Aww hell, now we're going to have another Nirvana hate-fest.

Although, how can they have Nevermind before any of the Led Zeppelin albums???

Lists are the worst.
  • visualdeityvisualdeity Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    I'm appalled that The Wall isn't on this list.
  • edited November 2008
    Yup, thats London Calling at number 8, thats just another reason to bring it to Rock Band. Why did Rolling Stone choose 4 Beatles albums in the top 6? Thats just stupid
  • miche.csmiche.cs Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I don't know why you guys even bothered with this thread. It'll just erupt into an argument. Rolling Stone aren't exactly known for have an unbiased opinion when these lists are published. No one is ever going to agree with it completely.
  • HMXHypnotoadHMXHypnotoad Harmonix Developer
    edited November 2008
    thedoorsdk;1595611 said:
    I really don't understand why people cling to the idea of Sgt. Pepper's being some kind of rock and roll masterpiece. It's an extremely uneven album, and while some tracks are excellent, others are completely average.
    It's nowhere near the Beatles' best work, and it hurts my head that people still think it's the best rock album of all time.
    Oh, and also, it's not a concept album just because Paul McCartney says it is. Sorry.
    The very top of the list reads to me more like a list of the 50 "Most Important" albums of all time, which is interesting in its own right but is different from "Greatest" albums. You can make an argument for Sgt. Pepper's as the most important album. But I agree that, as much as I love Sgt. Pepper's -- and it's one of my favorite albums of all time -- I would argue that Abbey Road, Revolver, and Rubber Soul are "greater" albums.

Similarly, looking at the Dylan albums they chose, putting Highway 61 Revisited first makes sense from a "most important" standpoint, since it's the album where Dylan fully embraces electric. Like Sgt. Pepper's, you could make a good argument for Highway 61 Revisited being the most important album of all time. But I would argue that Blonde on Blonde is the better album (and I think Dylan would agree). In my own rankings, I would even put Blood on the Tracks ahead of Highway 61 Revisited.