Loudest Bands in the World.

benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
edited December 2008 in History of Rock
Loudest bands in the world!

Decibel records

The Who were listed as the "record holder", at 126 dB, measured at a distance of 32 meters from the speakers at a concert at Charlton Athletic Football Ground on 1976-05-31.[2]

1984 and 1994
The heavy metal band Manowar is one claimant of the title of "loudest band in the world", citing a measurement of 129.5 dB in 1994 in Hanover. However, Guinness Book of World Records listed Manowar as the record holder for the loudest musical performance for an earlier performance in 1984. Guinness does not recognize Manowar's later claim, because it no longer includes a category of loudest band, reportedly because it does not want to encourage hearing damage Manowar broke their own record again in 2008 at the Magic Circle Fest with 139dB.

Metallica has styled itself the "loudest band in the world". However, after one concert on 1997-11-11, which the band dubbed the "Million Decibel March", the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that "neighbors who [had] feared the worst from the self-styled Loudest Band in the World complained more about the sound from the news choppers circling overhead".[11]

British punk band Gallows allegedly broke Manowar's previous record for loudest band in the world, claiming to have achieved 132.5 dB; however, this record was claimed in an isolated studio environment as opposed to live.[12]

Other dates
Other previous record holders include Deep Purple (117 decibels), Iron Maiden (1985 Guinness World Book of Records), The Rolling Stones, Motörhead, AC/DC, My Bloody Valentine (132 decibels), and KISS. Although it has never been made official, some reports suggest that New York noise rock band, Swans reached 140 decibels at some gigs

Comments

• Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    So Manowar is the Loudest Band in the World?
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Needs moar Guitar Wolf.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    a lot of it has to do with the setting...

both of the loudest shows i've ever experienced were in a small building that was once used for pressing vinyl in nashville...
    first prurient ripped my ears to shred with his high-pitched, piercing feedback and then lightning bolt just made me feel like i could barely breathe for an hour.

some others who really stood out in volume were dinosaur jr, mogwai, sonic youth, wolf eyes, and (bass frequency worship-wise) arab strap.

i've always heard from those who saw swans live that they were indeed as loud as legend tells...
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Cool list. I'm often asked by friends and poeple that know me what was the loudest concert I've been to? I gert asked simply due to the many concerts I've been to. My answer is still the same after all these years. The loudest shows I've been to was...

3. AC/DC on the Razor's Edge Tour SkyDome in Toronto. VERY loud. Twice they blew out the PA and onstage amps and had to stop playing while the roadies fixed things.

2. David Lee Roth Eat 'Em And Smile Tour Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. At times it was excruciating. When Dave would hit the high notes of I'm On Fire from Van Halen 1 it was ear shattering. My ears rang for days afterwards.

1. The loudest show I've ever been to was easily Cinderella The Long Cold Winter Tour at the CNE Grandstand. I lost 5-10% of my hearing out of my left ear at that show. I still have bouts of tinnitis with it. Great show though.

Honarable mention goes to Bon Jovi any show any tour. I'm still amazed at the how much the decibel level increases in an arena or stadium from the crowd when he sets foot onstage for the first time. Soccer moms scream very very loud.:D
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    the loudest band in the world was the one I had playing in my basement every night for 5 years. Wow, they were freaking loud and they'd drink all of my beer, too!
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Huh... I thought you meant "Loudest" as a sort of figurer of speech. I had no Idea they actually measured this sort of thing:D

Totally knew the Who would be mentioned here somewhere.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I'm not sure they've ever held any official records, but Blue Cheer definitely deserve mention as one of the first real volume obsessed bands. The only article I've found that cites decibels stated that they would routinely reach 130 db, and then of course, there's the old legend of how a dog exploded while sitting on top of a stack of amps at a Blue Cheer show.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Suprised by no Led Zeppelin, I knew The Who would be there.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I knew about Manowar, the others, I wouldn't say surprising, but it's quite interesting to know.

Either way, Manowar = awesome =p To be louder than a jet engine is pretty damn epic.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited December 2008
    My bet would be some drone, noise rock or grind band.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    Gowienczyk;1638946 said:
    My bet would be some drone, noise rock or grind band.
    the loudest drone i've ever experienced was hive mind... he was really working the low frequencies that night and several people complained about being sick. it ruled.