Chinese Democracy sells like---Poo.

benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
edited May 2011 in History of Rock
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/22500/week-ending-nov-30-2008-wests-numbers-head-south/

Chinese Democracy is GN'R's first studio album of new material in more than 17 years. It debuts with sales of 261,000, which is less than one-fifth of the band's combined first-week sales bounty for its simultaneous September 1991 releases, Use Your Illusion II (which started with 770,000) and Use Your Illusion I (which bowed with 685,000). GN'R's only releases in this long gap are a 1993 album of covers, a 1999 double-disk live album and a 2004 greatest hits set.

Comments

• HazzyRapHazzyRap Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    I have yet to buy the album. Why? There's no goddamn Best Buy anywhere near me! It's not worth the crap weather, risking my life to drive two hours from here to get to one. AC/DC went with Wal*Mart, a store that's just about everywhere- could this have something to do with it?
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    the atomic sasquatch;1648499 said:
    i hope axl knows old GRN= more money and talent
    Money, maybe.
    Talent is arguable. I think new GnR are much more technically proficient and play much tighter as a group than the original line-up ever did.
  • theguywitdafacetheguywitdaface Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Isn't Buckethead the guitarist on Chinese Democracy?
    edited December 2008
    Buckethead is one of several guitarists, along with Ron Thal (aka Bumblefoot), Robin Finck (the touring guitarist for NIN), Richard Fortus (a complete and utter badass), and Paul Tobias.
    The last time the band toured they had Bumblefoot, Finck, and Fortus on guitar. No one knows who they'll have if/when they tour in '09.
  • DyWeaselDyWeasel Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    All I know is that "Shackler's Revenge" seems like the kind of song written by someone who's trying so hard to prove how "hard" and "cool" they are that they totally miss out on the groove.

I instantly abandon any gig that comes up that has this steaming pile of song in it and as a result, haven't even bothered with rest of "Chinese Democracy".
  • xX_Sandman_XxxX_Sandman_Xx Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    thedoorsdk;1649210 said:
    Buckethead is one of several guitarists, along with Ron Thal (aka Bumblefoot), Robin Finck (the touring guitarist for NIN), Richard Fortus (a complete and utter badass), and Paul Tobias.
    The last time the band toured they had Bumblefoot, Finck, and Fortus on guitar. No one knows who they'll have if/when they tour in '09.
    Finck is gone and Bucket has been gone for awhile.
    edited December 2008
    I know Buckethead left, I'm really hoping Finck comes back after touring with NIN, since he's my favorite guitarist in the group.
    edited December 2008
    thedoorsdk;1650165 said:
    I know Buckethead left, I'm really hoping Finck comes back after touring with NIN, since he's my favorite guitarist in the group.
    Trent Reznor of NIN said that Finck isn't leaving.
    edited December 2008
    Well he should at least loan him out for a tour.
    Come on Trent, don't be a dick.

Also, this is all ASSUMING they can get their act together for another tour. It seems kind of unlikely to me, but I guess I can hope.
    I would also rather see an emphasis placed on Chinese Democracy songs as opposed to older tunes, but I have a feeling I'm in the minority on that one.
    edited December 2008
    Look Chinese Democracy is the #1 album in the world!!!

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums.htm
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    thedoorsdk;1650186 said:
    I would also rather see an emphasis placed on Chinese Democracy songs as opposed to older tunes, but I have a feeling I'm in the minority on that one.
    Nah, I'm with ya on that. The last few tours have largely been the exact same setlist. It's time to mix it up with some seldom played classics along with a nice chunk of Chinese Democracy.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    I just picked up Chinese Democracy for 1.99 at Best Buy today! It is a very underrated album.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    It's actually easily one of the 5 worst albums i have ever heard in my life,to be honest.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    I thought Chinese Democracy was pretty decent for what it was and for over a decade in the making, it better have been. I'd give it a 6.75/10.

And if you compare it to classic GNR, I'd say it's at least better than The Spaghetti Incident.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    People consider 261,000 sales in the first week to be bad?
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited May 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4389725 said:
    People consider 261,000 sales in the first week to be bad?

That's the thing - album sales anymore are so depressed that 200K in a debut week is actually an insane number. The days of a seven-figure debut are long gone.
    edited May 2011
    killer_roach;4389746 said:
    That's the thing - album sales anymore are so depressed that 200K in a debut week is actually an insane number. The days of a seven-figure debut are long gone.
    Seriously. I've seen recent albums debut with 188,000 and people tout that as amazing and they deserved it and blah blah.
    edited May 2011
    maybe back then it was bad? Didn't a Kanye west album debut with over 1 million sales that year? Even Green Day's last album debuted with like 6 or 700 K.
    edited May 2011
    Making the US retail release a Best Buy exclusive didn't help sales much either. If I remember right, it was expected to have at least 700-800K in the first week, so I guess a little over 250K is considered a disappointment.
    edited May 2011
    Cubecubed;4389787 said:
    maybe back then it was bad? Didn't a Kanye west album debut with over 1 million sales that year? Even Green Day's last album debuted with like 6 or 700 K.

The most recent Green Day album sold 215K in its first week out...
    edited May 2011
    killer_roach;4389815 said:
    The most recent Green Day album sold 215K in its first week out...

oh,wait,maybe that was worldwide or something.I don't know where i got that number,but it know its a real number,lol.
    Mega-Tallica;4389800 said:
    Making the US retail release a Best Buy exclusive didn't help sales much either. If I remember right, it was expected to have at least 700-800K in the first week, so I guess a little over 250K is considered a disappointment.
    The Best buy near my house still has TONS of Chinese democracy cd's/records.They were giving them out for free when people bought Rock band 3,and i saw more than a few in the trash can outside of the store.I see the vinyl on sale for 1.99 every time i go to Best Buy to buy records,but i don't think i will ever buy it,even for that price.
    edited May 2011
    Cubecubed;4389787 said:
    Didn't CoDBLOps debut with several million sales day one? So anything less than that is considered a disappointment and sold horribly?
    edited May 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4389822 said:
    Didn't CoDBLOps debut with several million sales day one? So anything less than that is considered a disappointment and sold horribly?

Its all about expectations.CD was expected to be a blockbuster album,and it fell FAR short of that.
    edited May 2011
    Cubecubed;4389832 said:
    Its all about expectations.CD was expected to be a blockbuster album,and it fell FAR short of that.
    That doesn't mean it can't be profitable ever, or be critically enjoyed.
    edited May 2011
    GNFfhqwhgads;4389837 said:
    That doesn't mean it can't be profitable ever, or be critically enjoyed.

Well considering it was by many accounts the most expensive album of all time,that first one is damn near impossible.The second it achieved somewhat,you could say.
    edited May 2011
    Cubecubed;4389816 said:

The Best buy near my house still has TONS of Chinese democracy cd's/records.They were giving them out for free when people bought Rock band 3,and i saw more than a few in the trash can outside of the store.I see the vinyl on sale for 1.99 every time i go to Best Buy to buy records,but i don't think i will ever buy it,even for that price.
    That's because classic GNR fans can't accept change. They were expecting another Appetite For Destruction and what they got was completely different so they hated it. It's not even the same band (for the most part), you can't expect the classic sound to still be intact after 15 years.

The expectations were too high for this album. People were expecting something spectacular and what they got was just decent. I guess between the decade long wait + high cost of production + all the drama that went into it, you can't blame people for overhyping it.
    edited May 2011
    I think it would've gone over better if it were simply billed as an Axl Rose solo album than a GnR release, to be honest.
    edited May 2011
    Then you and I definately have different tastes.
    edited May 2011
    Cubecubed;4389521 said:
    It's actually easily one of the 5 worst albums i have ever heard in my life,to be honest.

Then you and I definately have different tastes.
  • DackAttacDackAttac Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    killer_roach;4389746 said:

It seems every time I read a Billboard article on the week's new entries, the week's #1 album wound up breaking the record for "lowest sales for a record to still end up being #1". Times a-changin' and whatnot.