Ion Drum Rocker Problems

id0itwitmys0x0nid0itwitmys0x0n Opening Act
edited December 2012 in Peer To Peer Support Forum
Day 1: Well after the longest wait...I finally got my ion's today! But i have been having some problems...It seems like im having a tough time adjusting to the wider pads and spacing. I never thought i would have that much trouble with the transition. I know it is my first day with them but i often find myself missing the pads. It also seems like i need to hit the pads much harder than my EL model. Any suggestions?

Day 2: I was finally able to play a song without wacking the rims of the pads, woot. I played Ready, Set, Go, a song that i fc'd on sightread to see if it was me or the pads. I missed two reds notes that were not mistimed but showed as unregistered. So i went back into freestyle and it seems that when i tap very lightly or near the edges of the pads the sensitivity is lousy. Is there a problem with my drum brain?

Problems found with PS3/PS2 Drum Rocker:

- Unsensitive Pads/Cymbals
- Drum Brain Problems (May be the cause of unsensitive pads)
- PS3 Button Does Not Light Up (Not sure if it is supposed to or not)

Comments

  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2008
    id0itwitmys0x0n;1666683 said:
    It also seems like i need to hit the pads much harder than my EL model. Any suggestions?
    Give yourself a bit more than a day to adjust to the new configuration. :)

    As for your other point, no, you shouldn't have to slam the pads to get a response. Does that happen on all of your pads or just 1 in particular? Cymbals too? If so, it sounds like the controller module (brain) might be defective. Watch any of my new videos and you'll see that I barely have to tap the drums or cymbals to get a "hit".
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited December 2008
    I couldn`t play worth **** when I first got my IONs because I hadn't played in a month. I couldn't hit simple fills because of the spacing so give it time and you will be able to play the same as before.

    The sensitivity sounds like a problem with the brain. Go into freestyle and lightly tap the drum until it triggers something. If you need to really whack it then you should return it under warranty and get a new brain. Some of the first 360 brains had the same problem if I remember right

    EDIT: Damn you Scuba Steve! You ninja'd me in the exact same minute!
  • id0itwitmys0x0nid0itwitmys0x0n Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    davidshek;1666710 said:
    Give yourself a bit more than a day to adjust to the new configuration. :)

    As for your other point, no, you shouldn't have to slam the pads to get a response. Does that happen on all of your pads or just 1 in particular? Cymbals too? If so, it sounds like the controller module (brain) might be defective. Watch any of my new videos and you'll see that I barely have to tap the drums or cymbals to get a "hit".
    i noticed dropping red and green notes randomly (may be others though too)...on a song with a constant rhythm of greens there were random notes dropping and i knew it wasn't me. i was playing the same way i played on my EL which is pretty light.
  • EveningEvening Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    I had the same exact problem. I became this angry fake drummer. Had to hit the pads extremely hard to register, especially the red one. Also had issues with the size / spacing of pads, but I'm sure that's just a matter of time, muscle memory stuff. And the pedal was loose and sticky. I gave up. It's sitting in the corner gathering dust. I use my rock band 1 kit. When I have more time, I'll definitely try again as the ion kit cost so much. Everyone else seemed to love the ion so much, so I figured it was just me.
  • id0itwitmys0x0nid0itwitmys0x0n Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Evening;1666738 said:
    I had the same exact problem. I became this angry fake drummer. Had to hit the pads extremely hard to register, especially the red one. Also had issues with the size / spacing of pads, but I'm sure that's just a matter of time, muscle memory stuff. And the pedal was loose and sticky. I gave up. It's sitting in the corner gathering dust. I use my rock band 1 kit. When I have more time, I'll definitely try again as the ion kit cost so much. Everyone else seemed to love the ion so much, so I figured it was just me.
    well i dont want to give up on the ions just yet considering the hefty pricetag. im sure if i stick with it i will see good results...obviously i need a little more time. but i am worried about the sensitivity of the pads...may have to look into that.
  • EveningEvening Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    I gave up just for now. But I was very surprised as to how much I liked the GH world tour drum set. Sort of resembles the real thing more than the rock band or ion set up. And it works great for me. I was impressed also with the quality of the product. BUT, when I change from GH to rock band (and also change drum kits), oh boy it screws up the calibration big time. I was failing songs like "Say it aint so" for crying out loud.
  • NomadicLassNomadicLass Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Give yourself some more time to adjust to the setup. I've moved my pads around quite a bit, and it always takes me a while to adjust - I still find myself catching the rim of a pad every now and then.

    As for the sensitivity, here is one thing to check. Make sure the pads are plugged in correctly. When I first received my Ion I was dropping random notes, and I realized I had plugged my green and yellow pads into the cymbal ports by mistake. :o

    edited to add: I forgot to mention - with my RB1 kit I never ran into calibration issues. With the Ion, however, I did have to calibrate it to work correctly with RB2.
  • v1g1lance1v1g1lance1 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I just got mine and I'm struggling a bit too. It's natural when the 'kit' changes. To start with, I've nixed using the cymbals, spaced the pads more like a regular kit and will slowly move them to where I want them to be (more real kit like). When I'm comfy with that I'll add the cymbals - one at a time.

    It'll take time, but I noticed a big improvement over just a few songs - still not nearly as good as I was on the stock kit though - but that's temporary I think :)

    Ian
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2008
    Evening;1666815 said:
    But I was very surprised as to how much I liked the GH world tour drum set. Sort of resembles the real thing more than the rock band or ion set up.
    Wow, from that statement I can't decide whether 1) You were joking, or 2) You have no idea what you're talking about.

    The GHWT drum set resembles a real kit more than the Ion? :confused:
  • hamlet423hamlet423 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    I got my kit today...but...uh...no remote module to plug all the things into...is it in a special box or something? I took everything out and its NOT there!
  • Motley KeithMotley Keith Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Evening;1666815 said:
    But I was very surprised as to how much I liked the GH world tour drum set. Sort of resembles the real thing more than the rock band or ion set up.
    I was going to comment on this, but i noticed Dave's beat me too it. So i'll just have to say the same thing..

    your kidding right?!?
  • PatNantelPatNantel Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    My Ion took some time to get used to...even more so when I moved my snare between my legs and added the cymbals...but REALLY... stick to it! You have to readjust and develop new muscle memories... once you'll have it you will just love this drum! Mine never dropped notes or gave me double hits...my cymbals have always been perfect also...Guess I was lucky. It's been three months now that I drum around 24hours a week on average and it is a pleasure to drum on it.

    Note some changes made: Rockpedal instead of its original pedal
    2 extra Roland CY5 cymbal.

    On another note...Ion just sent/charged me for the extra cymbal pack that I ordered originally...even thaugh I cancelled the order...hope they will manage to fix that situation soon at inMusicsales.
  • b0kkieb0kkie Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    davidshek;1667268 said:
    Wow, from that statement I can't decide whether 1) You were joking, or 2) You have no idea what you're talking about.

    The GHWT drum set resembles a real kit more than the Ion? :confused:
    I wondered the same thing. :|

    To the OP, I also take a day or two to get used to the wider spacing between pads, but once you get used to it, you'll never be able to go back to the stock kit. Playing on the Ion is such a pleasure.

    However, if you continue to experience problems with having to hit the pads really hard to register, then perhaps there is a problem with your kit, in which case you should try to get a replacement.

    Good luck.
  • v1g1lance1v1g1lance1 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    davidshek;1666710 said:
    Give yourself a bit more than a day to adjust to the new configuration. :)

    As for your other point, no, you shouldn't have to slam the pads to get a response. Does that happen on all of your pads or just 1 in particular? Cymbals too? If so, it sounds like the controller module (brain) might be defective. Watch any of my new videos and you'll see that I barely have to tap the drums or cymbals to get a "hit".
    Mine don't require much to trigger them either. I have noticed, though, that my one cymbal requires a teeny bit more of force to activate - other than that they're really sensitive and I LOVE the bigger pads, even if they're messing with me right now :)

    Oh, and Dave, you making it tonight?

    Ian
  • id0itwitmys0x0nid0itwitmys0x0n Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    i also forget to mention that i am using a lighter drum sticks than the ones that come with the set. Will that have any effect on the sensitivity of the pads?
  • id0itwitmys0x0nid0itwitmys0x0n Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    v1g1lance1;1667800 said:
    Mine don't require much to trigger them either. I have noticed, though, that my one cymbal requires a teeny bit more of force to activate - other than that they're really sensitive and I LOVE the bigger pads, even if they're messing with me right now :)

    Oh, and Dave, you making it tonight?

    Ian
    Will the lighest tap set off your pads?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2008
    v1g1lance1;1667800 said:
    Oh, and Dave, you making it tonight?
    I don't see why not :)
  • TonytTonyt Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    With the new update today i can get nice controlled 3 hit bounces off the all the pads, and even off the cymbols but i have to change my grip. Maybe i could before but by the time i hit the third bounce i would not have been able to hear it.
  • TonytTonyt Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    PatNantel;1667621 said:
    My Ion took some time to get used to...even more so when I moved my snare between my legs and added the cymbals...but REALLY... stick to it! You have to readjust and develop new muscle memories... once you'll have it you will just love this drum! Mine never dropped notes or gave me double hits...my cymbals have always been perfect also...Guess I was lucky. It's been three months now that I drum around 24hours a week on average and it is a pleasure to drum on it.

    Note some changes made: Rockpedal instead of its original pedal
    2 extra Roland CY5 cymbal.

    On another note...Ion just sent/charged me for the extra cymbal pack that I ordered originally...even thaugh I cancelled the order...hope they will manage to fix that situation soon at inMusicsales.

    I think alot of these problems might have stemed from ppl using the Ion with RB1. I had the kit b4 RB2 came out in the UK and i wasnt happy with my cymbols. As soon as RB2 came the cymbols just started working perfectly, i made no adjustments atall.

    Now i have the kit set up just the way i want it and have no complaints.
  • v1g1lance1v1g1lance1 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    id0itwitmys0x0n;1667808 said:
    Will the lighest tap set off your pads?
    Yep. Just the one cymbal needs a slightly harder tap, but the pads are very sensitive (but not OVERLY sensitive).

    Peace,
    Ian
  • bisqbisq Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    I'm liking the Ion a lot in the day or so I've used it...I haven't gotten all the cymbals hooked up quite yet but I'm trying to adjust to the new pad layout first. I do have the hi hat going and I'm trying to work it in although I mostly use it when it is convenient for me and not every time it is supposed to be used.

    So far everything is working fine...the only 2 problems I have are related to my technique. I'm used to the rb1 drums where the red pad is in front of you at an angle and so my stupid and hard to train left hand is accustomed to hitting the drum in that way. Now that the snare is more flat and closer to me I'm often hitting the rim, especially on quick double taps. Compound that with the fact that I'm using a used PDX-8 which has a very pronounced rim and it makes it even worse. I like the mesh feel though when I actually manage to hit the drum so I'm going to stick with it and hope that my technique improves over time. I've put the drum at a slight angle toward me for the time being and I'll just gradually flatten it out as I get better.

    The other problem I have is when alternating snare and high hat hits come up I end up clacking my sticks together when using the cymbal. Once again I'm used to lifting my left hand quite a bit from using the rb1 drums so its a struggle to keep my hand low enough. I can do it when practicing but in the middle of a song I end up reverting to old techniques.

    Drums are working great though and I was happy that my hi hat seems to be plenty sensitive and I can pull off a long string of fast 8th notes without dropping any.
  • id0itwitmys0x0nid0itwitmys0x0n Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    v1g1lance1;1668143 said:
    Yep. Just the one cymbal needs a slightly harder tap, but the pads are very sensitive (but not OVERLY sensitive).

    Peace,
    Ian
    There's something wrong with mine then because if i tap lightly it doesn't pick up very well. Also as i get closer to the edge of the pads they barely pick up at all.
  • firemedic4500firemedic4500 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    id0itwitmys0x0n;1669152 said:
    There's something wrong with mine then because if i tap lightly it doesn't pick up very well. Also as i get closer to the edge of the pads they barely pick up at all.
    Mine are the same way, I just got them this afternoon. It seems like I am dropping notes and on freestyle,the velocity sensitive function is non existent. Any ideas???
  • bbqchickenbbqchicken Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    I just received my Ion kit the other day (PS3) and the controller module is wonky. It triggers the yellow pad, blue pad, and green cymbal simultaneously at random times, selecting things while I am scrolling through menus and breaking multiplier while playing. I went into Freestyle mode and unplugged all the pads and cymbals, and it would still trigger those same 3 hits at random times.

    I have to give a mention to Zzounds.com here, as they have gone above and beyond the call of duty in offering excellent customer service. I initially called Ion about obtaining a replacement brain. They told me I would have to send the module to their repair facility in California and wait for them to send me a new one, which would take approximately 10 days. I'm going out of town next week and was planning to take the drums with me for an event, so I contacted Zzounds. They are replacing the entire set and shipping the new set via Next Day Air at no cost to me! Can you imagine how much it must cost to ship a 35lb item Next Day Air?

    If you haven't purchased an Ion yet and are considering it, I would definitely recommend getting it from Zzounds.
  • Sudden_InfluxSudden_Influx Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Yep, lots of rim clacking for me at first. I moved my pads to resemble the RB kit, but it's still going to take time to adjust.
  • xSkanerxxSkanerx Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    firemedic4500;1670072 said:
    Mine are the same way, I just got them this afternoon. It seems like I am dropping notes and on freestyle,the velocity sensitive function is non existent. Any ideas???
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. No velocity in any of the pads or cymbals. Anyone else?
  • HindesiteHindesite Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    PatNantel;1667621 said:
    Note some changes made: Rockpedal instead of its original pedal
    2 extra Roland CY5 cymbal.
    Just looked those up and it looks like the pedal and each individual cymbal is $70! :eek: That's a total of $210. Ouch!

    But thanks, I knew the stock ION pedal was subpar and I'm getting my set in a couple days but I couldn't remember which pedal it was everyone recommended most and your post reminded me! :)
  • miller302miller302 Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    took me 2 weeks to get things going.... and now im happier than ever with NO regrets :)
  • bondsmxbondsmx Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    bbqchicken;1670344 said:
    It triggers the yellow pad, blue pad, and green cymbal simultaneously at random times, selecting things while I am scrolling through menus and breaking multiplier while playing. I went into Freestyle mode and unplugged all the pads and cymbals, and it would still trigger those same 3 hits at random times.

    .
    i am having the exact same problem!!!! its driving me insane... im scrolling threw the song list and it will pick and song and all kinds of things i dont want it to do... im totally pumped with the kit, and i think with some time to get used to it i'd love it.. but i cant even keep a streak with it triggering things im not doing!!!! anyone have a fix for this???? bb129
  • TenshiTenshi Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    My ION drums (PS3) are on the way here to Sweden as we speak but I'm getting a bit worried now when I read about people having problems (not talking about the getting used to problems). It seems like this is just on the PS3 version so is there anyone that have a working ION drumrocker for PS3? If mine is faulty when I receive them I cant just send them back cause I don't have the same warranty when I live in Sweden.
Sign In or Register to comment.