Ion Drum Rocker Problems

id0itwitmys0x0nid0itwitmys0x0n Opening Act
edited December 2012 in Peer To Peer Support Forum
Day 1: Well after the longest wait...I finally got my ion's today! But i have been having some problems...It seems like im having a tough time adjusting to the wider pads and spacing. I never thought i would have that much trouble with the transition. I know it is my first day with them but i often find myself missing the pads. It also seems like i need to hit the pads much harder than my EL model. Any suggestions?

Day 2: I was finally able to play a song without wacking the rims of the pads, woot. I played Ready, Set, Go, a song that i fc'd on sightread to see if it was me or the pads. I missed two reds notes that were not mistimed but showed as unregistered. So i went back into freestyle and it seems that when i tap very lightly or near the edges of the pads the sensitivity is lousy. Is there a problem with my drum brain?

Problems found with PS3/PS2 Drum Rocker:

- Unsensitive Pads/Cymbals
- Drum Brain Problems (May be the cause of unsensitive pads)
- PS3 Button Does Not Light Up (Not sure if it is supposed to or not)

Comments

• id0itwitmys0x0nid0itwitmys0x0n Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    i also forget to mention that i am using a lighter drum sticks than the ones that come with the set. Will that have any effect on the sensitivity of the pads?
    edited December 2008
    v1g1lance1;1667800 said:
    Mine don't require much to trigger them either. I have noticed, though, that my one cymbal requires a teeny bit more of force to activate - other than that they're really sensitive and I LOVE the bigger pads, even if they're messing with me right now :)

Oh, and Dave, you making it tonight?

Ian
    Will the lighest tap set off your pads?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2008
    v1g1lance1;1667800 said:
    Oh, and Dave, you making it tonight?
    I don't see why not :)
  • TonytTonyt Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    With the new update today i can get nice controlled 3 hit bounces off the all the pads, and even off the cymbols but i have to change my grip. Maybe i could before but by the time i hit the third bounce i would not have been able to hear it.
  • TonytTonyt Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    PatNantel;1667621 said:
    My Ion took some time to get used to...even more so when I moved my snare between my legs and added the cymbals...but REALLY... stick to it! You have to readjust and develop new muscle memories... once you'll have it you will just love this drum! Mine never dropped notes or gave me double hits...my cymbals have always been perfect also...Guess I was lucky. It's been three months now that I drum around 24hours a week on average and it is a pleasure to drum on it.

Note some changes made: Rockpedal instead of its original pedal
    2 extra Roland CY5 cymbal.

On another note...Ion just sent/charged me for the extra cymbal pack that I ordered originally...even thaugh I cancelled the order...hope they will manage to fix that situation soon at inMusicsales.

I think alot of these problems might have stemed from ppl using the Ion with RB1. I had the kit b4 RB2 came out in the UK and i wasnt happy with my cymbols. As soon as RB2 came the cymbols just started working perfectly, i made no adjustments atall.

Now i have the kit set up just the way i want it and have no complaints.
  • v1g1lance1v1g1lance1 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    id0itwitmys0x0n;1667808 said:
    Will the lighest tap set off your pads?
    Yep. Just the one cymbal needs a slightly harder tap, but the pads are very sensitive (but not OVERLY sensitive).

Peace,
    Ian
  • bisqbisq Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    I'm liking the Ion a lot in the day or so I've used it...I haven't gotten all the cymbals hooked up quite yet but I'm trying to adjust to the new pad layout first. I do have the hi hat going and I'm trying to work it in although I mostly use it when it is convenient for me and not every time it is supposed to be used.

So far everything is working fine...the only 2 problems I have are related to my technique. I'm used to the rb1 drums where the red pad is in front of you at an angle and so my stupid and hard to train left hand is accustomed to hitting the drum in that way. Now that the snare is more flat and closer to me I'm often hitting the rim, especially on quick double taps. Compound that with the fact that I'm using a used PDX-8 which has a very pronounced rim and it makes it even worse. I like the mesh feel though when I actually manage to hit the drum so I'm going to stick with it and hope that my technique improves over time. I've put the drum at a slight angle toward me for the time being and I'll just gradually flatten it out as I get better.

The other problem I have is when alternating snare and high hat hits come up I end up clacking my sticks together when using the cymbal. Once again I'm used to lifting my left hand quite a bit from using the rb1 drums so its a struggle to keep my hand low enough. I can do it when practicing but in the middle of a song I end up reverting to old techniques.

Drums are working great though and I was happy that my hi hat seems to be plenty sensitive and I can pull off a long string of fast 8th notes without dropping any.
    edited December 2008
    v1g1lance1;1668143 said:
    Yep. Just the one cymbal needs a slightly harder tap, but the pads are very sensitive (but not OVERLY sensitive).

Peace,
    Ian
    There's something wrong with mine then because if i tap lightly it doesn't pick up very well. Also as i get closer to the edge of the pads they barely pick up at all.
  • firemedic4500firemedic4500 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    id0itwitmys0x0n;1669152 said:
    There's something wrong with mine then because if i tap lightly it doesn't pick up very well. Also as i get closer to the edge of the pads they barely pick up at all.
    Mine are the same way, I just got them this afternoon. It seems like I am dropping notes and on freestyle,the velocity sensitive function is non existent. Any ideas???
  • bbqchickenbbqchicken Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    I just received my Ion kit the other day (PS3) and the controller module is wonky. It triggers the yellow pad, blue pad, and green cymbal simultaneously at random times, selecting things while I am scrolling through menus and breaking multiplier while playing. I went into Freestyle mode and unplugged all the pads and cymbals, and it would still trigger those same 3 hits at random times.

I have to give a mention to Zzounds.com here, as they have gone above and beyond the call of duty in offering excellent customer service. I initially called Ion about obtaining a replacement brain. They told me I would have to send the module to their repair facility in California and wait for them to send me a new one, which would take approximately 10 days. I'm going out of town next week and was planning to take the drums with me for an event, so I contacted Zzounds. They are replacing the entire set and shipping the new set via Next Day Air at no cost to me! Can you imagine how much it must cost to ship a 35lb item Next Day Air?

If you haven't purchased an Ion yet and are considering it, I would definitely recommend getting it from Zzounds.
  • Sudden_InfluxSudden_Influx Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Yep, lots of rim clacking for me at first. I moved my pads to resemble the RB kit, but it's still going to take time to adjust.
  • xSkanerxxSkanerx Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    firemedic4500;1670072 said:
    Mine are the same way, I just got them this afternoon. It seems like I am dropping notes and on freestyle,the velocity sensitive function is non existent. Any ideas???
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. No velocity in any of the pads or cymbals. Anyone else?
  • HindesiteHindesite Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    PatNantel;1667621 said:
    Note some changes made: Rockpedal instead of its original pedal
    2 extra Roland CY5 cymbal.
    Just looked those up and it looks like the pedal and each individual cymbal is $70! :eek: That's a total of $210. Ouch!

But thanks, I knew the stock ION pedal was subpar and I'm getting my set in a couple days but I couldn't remember which pedal it was everyone recommended most and your post reminded me! :)
  • miller302miller302 Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    took me 2 weeks to get things going.... and now im happier than ever with NO regrets :)
  • bondsmxbondsmx Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    bbqchicken;1670344 said:
    It triggers the yellow pad, blue pad, and green cymbal simultaneously at random times, selecting things while I am scrolling through menus and breaking multiplier while playing. I went into Freestyle mode and unplugged all the pads and cymbals, and it would still trigger those same 3 hits at random times.

i am having the exact same problem!!!! its driving me insane... im scrolling threw the song list and it will pick and song and all kinds of things i dont want it to do... im totally pumped with the kit, and i think with some time to get used to it i'd love it.. but i cant even keep a streak with it triggering things im not doing!!!! anyone have a fix for this???? bb129
  • TenshiTenshi Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    My ION drums (PS3) are on the way here to Sweden as we speak but I'm getting a bit worried now when I read about people having problems (not talking about the getting used to problems). It seems like this is just on the PS3 version so is there anyone that have a working ION drumrocker for PS3? If mine is faulty when I receive them I cant just send them back cause I don't have the same warranty when I live in Sweden.
  • Lanceloter89Lanceloter89 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    My PS3 Ion Drum Rocker seems to work fine. I don't seem to have much problems with it so far. However, there are a few issues...
    -As the original poster stated, the PS3 button on the module doesn't light up, not a big deal though
    -My drums seems to have trouble with velocity sensitivity. They work perfectly just fine, but I can't seem to pull off a light hit on the pads
    -My Rock Pedal would disconnect me if I vibrate the kit too much, seems like my plug is getting too loose (Not a problem with the Drum Rocker, just the pedal itself, help Jordan?)

Other than that, my kit works perfectly fine.
  • RagingDoofusRagingDoofus Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Got mine today. Good fun, though I too need to readjust to the new spacing, and assess my hitting speed (my hands got tired rather quickly from the stick vibration). I think I may have just been hitting harder than usual. I did do a little better than normal.

As a few noted, there doesn't seem to be any velocity sensing in the pads or cymbals for me. Perhaps a PS3 software issue, since...there should be in game right? I mean if the RB2 set has it...

It kind of seems like the green cymbal isn't as sensitive as it should be. Light taps that worked for me on the RB2 cymbal set don't always set it off, then suddenly they do after a string. Doesn't come up too often in game, but makes me wonder.

Also, yes no lighting up of the PS3 button on the brain.

"Bass" pedal sucks as noted, due to the poor bounce back of a mislabeled hi-hat pedal, though I had a little luck going heel down I just used a mini adapter to use my standard pedal in the end.

I'd play with it more, but it's too late, so that's for the morning.
  • Squirrel1971Squirrel1971 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    I am a bit let down again with no velocity sensitivity and cymbals that you need to whack so hard you just hear the sound of plastic instead of the cymbal sound in the game. Why didn't I just switch to Xbox 360 and eat the price of my DLC investment from RB1?

Cmon Harmonix, patch us up please!!!
    edited December 2008
    It seems like many people are having trouble with the ions for the PS3/PS2 compared to those who have it for the 360. Im starting to wonder if it has something to do with the PS3? Or is it the drum brain?
  • SnafufluxSnafuflux Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    id0itwitmys0x0n;1669152 said:
    I have this exact same problem. I just got mine yesterday and was using the yellow hihat, and I was dropping notes left and right. I noticed if I really whack the cymbal it registers, but if I tap it like I would a drum pad, it doesn't register at all. I really hope there isn't anything wrong with these, as I don't want to replace/return/refund it.
    firemedic4500;1670072 said:
    I noticed this too!!

No ps3 light either. Though I don't care about this at all. I want the cymbals to register with light taps, and I want velocity sensing!! ugh, wtf. why did I pay this high price tag for this!?
    edited December 2008
    Squirrel1971;1671298 said:
    I am a bit let down again with no velocity sensitivity and cymbals that you need to whack so hard you just hear the sound of plastic instead of the cymbal sound in the game. Why didn't I just switch to Xbox 360 and eat the price of my DLC investment from RB1?

Cmon Harmonix, patch us up please!!!
    Actually, the lack of velocity sensitivity is not specific to the PS3, and it IS the result of a patch.

The X360 got a RB2 patch yesterday that removed the velocity sensitivity for the Ion kits too :(

I think this was the answer to the "my fill volume is too low!" problem.

And again, if you're having sensitivity problems (have to hit pads or cymbals really hard to get a "hit"), you need to contact Ion because something in your kit is defective.
    edited December 2008
    The cymbal problems... have there been no cases reported with x360?
    edited December 2008
    Snafuflux;1671626 said:
    The cymbal problems... have there been no cases reported with x360?
    Yes there were some reported when the X360 Ions were first shipping out. Some people ended up getting new cymbals from Ion, others got replacement brain modules.

Do some troubleshooting to figure out which one is defective on your kit, it will help greatly when you do contact Ion.

* Are ALL of your cymbals not sensitive, or is it just one?
    * Did you make sure they're plugged into the ports marked "Cymbal" on the module? (yes, people have made that mistake)
    * If just one seems to be bad, plug it into a different cymbal port and try it there. Does it work any better there?
    * Plug the other "working" cymbal into the port where the "non-working" one was previously. Is it any better?
    edited December 2008
    there has to be something wrong with my drum brain then because my pads and symbols are much less sensitive then id like. ill have to contact ion and see whats up.
    edited December 2008
    davidshek;1671642 said:
    Yes there were some reported when the X360 Ions were first shipping out. Some people ended up getting new cymbals from Ion, others got replacement brain modules.

Do some troubleshooting to figure out which one is defective on your kit, it will help greatly when you do contact Ion.

* Are ALL of your cymbals not sensitive, or is it just one?
    * Did you make sure they're plugged into the ports marked "Cymbal" on the module? (yes, people have made that mistake)
    * If just one seems to be bad, plug it into a different cymbal port and try it there. Does it work any better there?
    * Plug the other "working" cymbal into the port where the "non-working" one was previously. Is it any better?
    Yah, I'll have to try these tonight. I only had the yellow and green cymbals hooked up. so anytime I hit the green, I was hitting it hard like a crash. Hi hat I expected to allow light hits. I'll have to try the crash tonight in freestyle and see if it responds. If it does not, then can we assume it's the drum brain, rather than the cymbal? I did make sure all cymbals are in their correct ports!
  • Sid KafizzSid Kafizz Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone else had problems with the ION pads? I've been using mine since early October, and lately, the most-used pads have been separating from whatever is directly underneath them. This causes a definite decrease in sensitivity.

First my yellow pad, and now my red have shown this problem. I plan on returning them, but I'm curious about any possible fixes there might be. Taking apart the pads and "burping" them like a tupperware container hasn't worked very well so far.

I'm getting closer and closer to just sucking it up and buying a Roland kit, but I'd like to hold off until at least January if I can.
    edited December 2008
    * Are ALL of your cymbals not sensitive, or is it just one? All cymbals suck.
    * Did you make sure they're plugged into the ports marked "Cymbal" on the module? (yes, people have made that mistake)100% sure they're in the right port
    * If just one seems to be bad, plug it into a different cymbal port and try it there. Does it work any better there?Hi hat into crash with same results.
    * Plug the other "working" cymbal into the port where the "non-working" one was previously. Is it any better?I plugged the crash into the hihat (green into yellow) with the same results.

One last question, how light can you hit the drum before it registers? I can hit it light and it won't register, but if I drop the stick on it, it will.

Sounds like I have cymbal problems :S

edit: while I was typing this msg, my drums just disconnected themselves. I will make sure this wasn't the ps3 setting which turns off controllers after 10mins of inactivity.
    edited December 2008
    Snafuflux;1673470 said:
    One last question, how light can you hit the drum before it registers? I can hit it light and it won't register, but if I drop the stick on it, it will.

Sounds like I have cymbal problems :S

edit: while I was typing this msg, my drums just disconnected themselves. I will make sure this wasn't the ps3 setting which turns off controllers after 10mins of inactivity.
    From what you said above, it sounds to me like you have a defective controller. Both the cymbals and drums should be registering very light hits. Watch some of my latest videos on Youtube and you can see how lightly I hit the pads and cymbals.
    edited December 2008
    yah I'm going to. I've been playing for a bit, and it seems to be better in songs than in freestyle. odd