Reccomend Me Some Punk

HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
edited December 2008 in History of Rock
Well, as much as I love punk and have been trying to get into it, I really don't know where to start. I've got material by the basic three (Ramones, Sex Pistols and the Clash) as well as one Wipers album(since I liked them so much on Afterstasis's mix), one Bad Brains album and a bunch of crossover thrash/punk. I've also recently downloaded Afterstasis's hardcore punk mix. I'm looking for recommendations of the basic bands, though.

What I want to find in particular is good hardcore, good skater punk (if you call that a subgenre of punk) and whatever other bands are good starting points in the genre (basic bands I should know, basic albums by the bands, etc...).

Misfits is really all I know that Im looking for (need an album recommendation). Whatever you can sggest is good, thank you.

Comments

• polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    And for regular punk, along with the previously listed bands, I would recommend:
    Rancid (They are descendants of Operation Ivy)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFNfMwdHez0
    Dropkick Murphys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn7F9vJXTBY
    Bad Religion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lOcRI37cu0

For the misfits I just got Misfits I & II which are compilations of their songs and both are great.

I'll let some other punk fans tell you more.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited December 2008
    I do have some Flogging Molly on my computer actually that I got from a friend on the Israel trip. I've heard of all of the bands mentioned so far, actually, but I haven't looked into them at all. Thank you, though. Album recommendations for all artists mentioned would be great, too.
  • SchmealSchmeal Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Here are some of my favorites albums with a song from each:

Bad Religion - Against the Grain (really you can't go wrong with most of their work)
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AJP3aiYBKPI&feature=related

Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tkv52exOZTU

Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punk
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hjRDDg252A0

Minor Threat - Minor Threat: The Complete Discography
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1WlAbGhHffw

Misfits - Walk Among Us
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-pzX3J_-9vY&feature=related

One Minute Silence - Buy Now...Saved Later
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WEF5qqpOdfY

Operation Ivy - Operation Ivy:Energy
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-9zIFfE8IkU

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11lBQ7fDYYE

Rise Against - The Sufferer and the Witness
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=94vo6NzQD5c

Enjoy!
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    it's gonna be tough not mentioning any post-punk, emo, and so forth but here goes...

amebix - arise and monolith
    dead kennedys - plastic surgery disasters and in god we trust, inc.
    black flag - damaged
    crass - penis envy
    minutemen - double nickels on the dime
    x - los angeles (and then just move forward from there if you like what you hear)
    the mob - let the tribe increase
    MDC - more dead cops
    zounds - the curse of the zounds
    eater - all of eater
    stiff little fingers - inflammable material
    descendents - milo goes to college
    youth in asia - sex object
    the qu*ers - a day late and a dollar short
    zegota - movement in the music
    buzzcocks - love bites
    the germs - MIA
    rudimentary peni - cacophony
    x-ray spex - germ free adolescents
    negative approach - total recall
    minor threat - complete discography
    discharge - hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing
    void/faith split
    flex your head compilation on dischord records

i'll also second the recommendation for the misfits - walk among us.

if you need more, just give me a heads up.
    edited December 2008
    Thank you, guys. Lots of stuff for me to look at.

Also, I would be excepting of emo recommendations. It's a misunderstood enough genre, so it might be good to brush up on.
  • CycoMiko138CycoMiko138 Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    I saw Minor Threat mentioned, but no Fugazi? Repeater is a classic album.

Fugazi - Blueprint
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkfy9F5XO4I

As for some skater punk, check out the 1st Suicidal Tendencies album...

Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tBaMlAUj08

Misfits, Bad Religion, Operation Ivy/Rancid, and Dead Kennedys are all great starting points, too.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Here are a couple of my personal favorites.

Setting Sons by The Jam (If you like The Who, you'll like The Jam. Be aware, though, that they are not a straight-up punk group: they combined elements of punk, garage, funk, and Motown.)
    Under The Big Black Sun by X (I also second afterstasis' recommendation of Los Angeles. You can't really go wrong with any of X's records.)
    The Incredible Shrinking Dickies by The Dickies (I have a Dickies mix up on the blog, if you'd like to give the band a try.)
    Damned Damned Damned by The Damned
    Warehouse: Songs and Stories by Husker Du (For a generally more melodic approach to hardcore, look no further than Husker Du.)
    Singles Going Steady by The Buzzcocks (Probably the best greatest hits album ever assembled.)
    Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! by Devo (I'm a shameless plug.)
    edited December 2008
    Already have Suicidal Tendencies. In fact, that album is what sparked my interest to the point of making this thread, haha.

And thanks for more recommendations. I've checked out Walk Among Us and am loving it. Haven't had the time to look into much else yet, but I hope to get through 3-4 more albums today, at least.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    quality emo records

moss icon - lyburnum wits end liberation fly (reissue version has great bonus tracks)
    the hated - everysong
    native nod - today puberty, tomorrow the world
    shudder to think - funeral at the movies & ten spot (genre is debatable, but just listen regardless)
    saetia - a retrospective
    gray matter - food for thought
    i hate myself - ten songs
    heroin - discography
    gauge means nothing - the absent trail of an echo and my future plagued by surrender
    orchid - chaos is me
    i would set myself on fire for you - believes in patterns
    city of caterpillar - self titled
    antioch arrow - in love with jetts
    still life - the incredible sinking feeling
    envy - insomniac doze
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    also, even if you didn't like the husker du mix i put up a while back you should still check out more of their stuff. i didn't list them 'cuz i was avoiding post-punk, though "land speed record" is basically a really insane chaotic hardcore record.
    'twas the first thing i heard that made me realize that i wanted to hear pure energy transformed into noise one day... about one year later, i discover noise via merzbow, masonna, etc. :)
  • PennsylvanianPennsylvanian Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Classic Style:
    -If you'd like a darker take on The Clash or even Sex Pistols, give Crass a shot, they've got catchy songs with pretty good lyrics, and a really solid album collection
    -Operation Ivy's Energy is easily one of my favorite albums of all time. It's a great mix between classic, hardcore, pop, and ska punk.

Skate Punk:
    -TSOL and the Descendents are the classic standbys(pretty much any album will do),
    -Screeching Weasel's Boogodaboogodaboogoda album is a personal favorite
    -Anything from The ____ about until the middle of the 90's is really good stuff (Ah, just noticed, they cut out the band names, just think of the Q word for "strange")

Hardcore:
    Husker Du- Try anything before Zen Arcade, as most of it is pretty accessible
    Aus Rotten is one of my few favorite post-80's hardcore groups, and one of the few to have a decent female singer later in their life. If you liked Suicidal Tendencies, then you can probably easily drop into these guys.

Too late for me to name every one I can think of, but it's a good start. If you want to look at emo, may as well start with its creators, Rites of Spring. They were the first band I could find that were referred to as "emo," while these days nobody would even think to call them that.
    edited December 2008
    Lets see, I've gone through Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Amebix and Black Flag so far. Loving it all. Thanks again for the recommendations, guys! This should keep me occupied for quite a while, haha.
  • edited December 2008
    Plenty of amazing suggestions so far. I would check out anything punk that Afterstasis or Runesmith ever recommend. My meager contributions:

Hardcore Punk.
    I could almost recommend getting any album from any of the "big bands" (Black Flag, The Misfits, DK, Bad Brains, Minor Threats) and then working your way through most of the other bands on the same labels. The punk scene in 1980-84 was not as diverse or as accepted as it is now, so all of the outcasts stuck together and put out stuff on the same label. The early SST, Dischord, Touch N Go, and XClaim stuff is all solid. Here are a few albums that haven't been mentioned.

*Negative Approach - Total Recall. Heavy, gritty stuff, all very raw. This is their full discography.
    *DYS - Brotherhood. Some of Boston's finest hardcore. Snotty anthems about unity, fashion, being pissed off, etc.
    *FEAR - The Record. Either one of the best examples of punk extremism or one of the better pranks put to vinyl, FEAR are abrasive, insulting, and hilariously sarcastic. Includes the 0:45 second single F*** Christmas!

Skate Punk.
    *The Adolescents - S/T. Bleak poppy hardcore out of LA. Think Bad Religion crossed with The Descendents. Amoeba and Kids of the Black Hole are shining tracks.
    Circle Jerks - Group Sex. I like this far more that Keith Morris's stint in Black Flag. Rude and crude, as only punk rock can be.
    *Agent Orange - Living In Darkness. One of my favorite punk albums of all time. Nihilistic surf punk, on an album that tackles the end of the world as effectively as it does Dick Dale's Pipeline. This is what I would skate to if I could skate.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Get some Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie, two of the greatest Punk musicians ever.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Alot of these have been said before but

Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Bad Religion, The Vandals, Rancid, Operation Ivy, Reel Big Fish, Me First And The Gimmie Gimmies, The Sex Pistols, The Suicide Machines, Crass, NOFX, Social Distortion, The Stooges, Black Flag, Minor Threat.
  • GNRrockslifeGNRrockslife Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Most of these albums/bands have already been suggested, but whatever:
    Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables, In God We Trust Inc., Plastic Surgery Disasters
    Bad Brains - Bad Brains, Rock For Light, I Against I
    Minor Threat - Complete Discography
    SS Decontrol - Power, The Kids Will Have Their Say
    Bad Religion - How Could Hell Be Any Worse?, No Control
    Black Flag - any and all albums, EP's, etc.
    MDC - Millions Of Dead Cops
    McRad - Absence Of Sanity (Hands down, the best skatepunk album EVER!!!)
    BL'AST! - The Power Of Expression, It's In My Blood, Take The Manic Ride (Very similar to Black Flag, deffinitely worth checking out if you like Black Flag)
    D.O.A. - Hardcore '81
    Circle Jerks - Group Sex
    Cro-Mags - The Age Of Quarrel
    The Misfits - Static Age, Walk Among Us
    Fear - The Record
    Fugazi - EP
    Agression - Don't Be Mistaken (The second best skatepunk album of all time!)

There's plenty others I'm forgetting, but that should do you a while!
  • bood-boybood-boy Headliner
    edited December 2008
    just get some NOFX.... 'Punk in Drublic' and 'Heavy Petting Zoo' albums are good starting points..... but u must get 'The Decline'... best punk song ever!!
  • SchmealSchmeal Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    HMXHenry;1686477 said:

*FEAR - The Record. Either one of the best examples of punk extremism or one of the better pranks put to vinyl, FEAR are abrasive, insulting, and hilariously sarcastic. Includes the 0:45 second single F*** Christmas!
    I can't believe I forgot these guys especially since they sing my favorite Christmas song! I second this endorsement.
  • iWargasmiWargasm Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    only punk band i like bar rise against are Municipal Waste although they are thrash/punk IMO

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VtGt7Vnufyc
    edited December 2008
    I already love Municipal Waste. Hilarious and addicting. Still going through the list and still loving everything. Got the Circle Jerks and Fugazi. Love everything I've heard so far. Of course I only just started the Fugazi album, but it sounds great so far. Love the humor, energy and/or emotion the genre brings out.
  • SweatyKSweatyK Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Lots of good stuff listed so far, I'll try to avoid repeats.

Poison Idea - Kings of Punk: My all time favorite album. "The Best of Poison Idea" contains this plus the Pick Your King and Record Collectors albums, both of which are good as well. Best $15 you'll ever spend in my opinion.

7 Seconds has some good stuff as well. Take it Back, Take it On, Take it Over is their most recent one and is pretty respectable. The Crew and Walk Together, Rock Together are great albums as well.

SNFU - And No One Else Wanted To Play: One of the classics in my opinion. Their recent stuff is worthwhile as well.

Angry Samoans - Back From Samoa: Funny as all get out, no skill, great album.

Slapshot - Step On It: A classic. 16 Valve Hate is good as well.

Dirty Rotten Imbeciles - Crossover: Yeah, they start to get a bit metal here, but where do you draw the line between punk and metal anyways?

Elvis Hitler: If you can find their version of "The Ballad of the Green Berets" anywhere, you're in for a treat.

Sick of it All - Built to Last: Great stuff here, actually can't go wrong with any of their stuff.

Subhumans (the British ones): Their recent album didn't really do it for me, but all their old stuff did.

The Toy Dolls: This is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you can handle to the singer's voice, and their unique sense of humor, these guys have some great stuff. I consider Wakey Wakey their best album.

Cheers,
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I'm late and don't want to repeat but there's some stuff that I think hasn't been mentioned and should have been:
    The Germs - (MIA) The Complete Anthology (featured Pat Smear of Foo Fighter/Nirvana fame)
    The Heartbreakers - LAMF (Revisited, or the Lost Mixes will do just fine)
    The Rezillos - Can't Stand the Rezillos (get the "Almost Complete" anthology version if possible)
    Dead Boys - Young, Loud and Snotty
    The Undertones - The Undertones
    Richard Hell and the Voidoids - Blank Generation

Most of this qualifies as "old" punk, though the Germs paved the way for the LA Hardcore scene.

As for Skate punk... I didn't see JFA or McRad mentioned.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Why is there no mention of Bob Dylan! Highway 61 is the best Punk Album ever!!!!
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    I'll try and name bands not already mentioned.
    You should check out Agent Orange. They're pretty good, and I'd say try out their debut, Living in Darkness, first.

If you liked The Clash, Ramones, and Sex Pistols, definitely look into The Damned, if you haven't already. Damned Damned Damned is a good start. Iggy Pop and the Stooges, particularly Raw Power, also represent that era well.

Bad Religion has been mentioned, but I haven't seen too many albums. I'd look for No Control or Suffer.

Reagan Youth is a very good band. The band released two albums, Volume One and Volume Two, but they combined both in A Collection of Pop Classics.
  • bierfahtbierfaht Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    so many awesome bands already listed, but if you are looking for catchy modern punk bands that are actually good, check out
    Smoke or Fire
    The Gaslight Anthem
    edited December 2008
    So much to check out... But so good...

I've gotten myself simultaneously addicted to Descendants, Circle Jerks and Dead Kennedys at the moment and am still continuing to look through most of these bands.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited December 2008
  • DayZIfUDoDayZIfUDo Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Hmmmm, here are a couple that immediately came to mind that I don't think have been listed yet:

The Butthole Surfers
    Social Distortion
    The Buzzcocks

Would have to think a little more on this one. :)
  • GNRrockslifeGNRrockslife Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    King_Nuthin;1690271 said:
    I'm late and don't want to repeat but there's some stuff that I think hasn't been mentioned and should have been:
    The Germs - (MIA) The Complete Anthology (featured Pat Smear of Foo Fighter/Nirvana fame)
    The Heartbreakers - LAMF (Revisited, or the Lost Mixes will do just fine)
    The Rezillos - Can't Stand the Rezillos (get the "Almost Complete" anthology version if possible)
    Dead Boys - Young, Loud and Snotty
    The Undertones - The Undertones
    Richard Hell and the Voidoids - Blank Generation

Most of this qualifies as "old" punk, though the Germs paved the way for the LA Hardcore scene.

As for Skate punk... I didn't see JFA or McRad mentioned.
    I recommended him Absence Of Sanity. Hands down the most skateable album of all time, up until Words Of Life.
  • indiegeekindiegeek Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    The Showcase Showdown
    Crimpshrine
    Jawbreaker
    Propaghandi
    JFA
    The Circle Jerks
    August Spies
    Doc Hopper
    J Church

...geez, I need to start ripping my vinyl to MP3...