Battle of the Bands: Judas Priest vs Iron Maiden

Stones_ClashStones_Clash Rising Star
edited December 2008 in History of Rock
in my opinion, priest and maiden are the two best metal bands ever, and it's really hard to decide who to choose, but i think ill give the edge to priest just by a tad.

your thoughts?

Comments

• Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Maiden are the better band. Priest had quite a few clunkers. Maiden's albums were packed with memorable hits.
  • Stones_ClashStones_Clash Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    while i agree that maiden was probably more consistent, i think that priest's best material slightly edges out maiden's.

if we're going member by member...

halford vs dickenson: the two best singers in metal by a wide margin. however, i have to give the edge to halford here. i love bruce but halfords screams and range are just killer.

downing/tipton vs murray/smith/gers- this is close as well. maidens guitarists play very well, but tipton and downing are in a class of their own as far as dual leads go.

steve harris vs ian hill: definitely harris here, one of the best bassists ive heard, and completely essential to the bands songwriting and sound

nicko mcbrain vs any priest drummer besides scott travis- edge to nicko here, priests drummers up through dave holland were solid, but unspectacular. however, scott travis' painkiller intro and his performance on that entire album makes me give the edge to him over mcbrain in that comparison.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    I gotta go with Judas Priest however it is a very small marginal difference and mostly because I have listened to Priest more than I have of Maiden
  • GNRrockslifeGNRrockslife Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Maiden, no comparison at all. Priest are possibly the most overrated metal band of all time and aren't very talented. Halford used to be a decent singer, but that's all I can really say for Priest. They wrote bland songs, the guitar work is boring and the lyrics were uninspired. Compare that to Maiden who have three of the best songwriters of all time (Harris, Dickinson, Smith), all members shine on their instruments and are all incredibly influential to other musicians, and they had a high output of quality music.I mean, up until No Prayer For The Dying they didn't have a single sub-par song. Sure, their 90's stuff was average with a few shining moments (whole Fear Of The Dark album, Sign Of The Cross, Clansman, etc.). But they win just for writing the 3 most epic metal songs ever: Hallowed Be Thy Name, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner and Phantom Of The Opera.

In other words, Maiden pwns Priest.
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Gotta go with Maiden.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    GNRrockslife;1691185 said:
    Maiden, no comparison at all. Priest are possibly the most overrated metal band of all time and aren't very talented. Halford used to be a decent singer, but that's all I can really say for Priest. They wrote bland songs, the guitar work is boring and the lyrics were uninspired. Compare that to Maiden who have three of the best songwriters of all time (Harris, Dickinson, Smith), all members shine on their instruments and are all incredibly influential to other musicians, and they had a high output of quality music.

In other words, Maiden pwns Priest.
    Funny, I was gonna say basically the exact same thing, only with the bands reversed.
    Iron Maiden have always been spectacularly average to me; all their best elements were borrowed from Priest, who had already done it much better than Maiden ever did or could. Plus Bruce Dicksinson is annoying as hell.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    To me, every Iron Maiden song sounds exactly like the other, but I guess people could say the same thing about Judas Priest.
    So for me it's:
    Voice: Judas Priest
    Guitar: Iron Maiden
    Bass: Iron Maiden
    Drums: Judas Priest
    Sound and style: Judas Priest.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    I was gonna do this awhile ago, but never actually so thanks for actually posting it and I agree Maiden is pretty overrated
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    I went with Maiden more consistent and over all better in my opinions. Priest bas a lot of great songs but they don't have a single perfect album where as I would say Maiden has at least 5. Priest has 6/16 Albums that I would consider spectacular (not that the others are bad) but all have some flaws, Maiden has 10/14 and I would say the first 5 are essentially flawless ("Stranger in a Strangle Land" and "Can I play with Madness?" throw off their 6th and 7th albums)

Maiden also gives a significantly more exciting live show despite Janick's dancing.
    Voice: Judas Priest
    Guitar: Iron Maiden
    Bass: Iron Maiden
    Drums: Judas Priest
    Sound and style: Judas Priest.
    The drumming on the Clive albums blows the priest drumming out of the water but over all I can see what your saying. I've never really thought that either bands technical skill on any instrument is what makes them great but rather how everything works together so great.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Do you really need to ask me?

Halford/Dickinson - Bruce easily. Rob has a better range and great screams, but he doesn't know how to use them effectively. I refuse to believe that "Painkiller" is a good vocal song. Halford's screams are best in moderation. Bruce's range is only a tad smaller than Rob's, and his screams are not only better, but more controlled. Also, since blowing out his voice, he can actually sing better. Figure that one out.

Tipton & Downing/Murray, Smith, & Gers - Maiden easily here as well. Murray and Smith perfected what Tipton and Downing forged, and no one does it better than the Maiden duo. Add Gers (sloppy though he can be) into the mix and you've got a freakish triple-lead monster. Murray has the greatest guitar tone I've ever heard, and it compliments Smith's more traditional metal tone perfectly, and they are both complimented by Gers' rather uncontrollable sounding tone. Tipton and Downing both sound very alike, with no way to distinguish between the two very easily. Their riffs were not only less complicated than Maiden's, but they were also less compelling.

Hill/Harris - Not really a contest here. One of metal's greatest (Harris) against the most boring bass player in recent history.

Priest drummers/Burr & McBrain - Maiden wins again. Burr and McBrain are quite simply two of the most technically skilled drummers to grace metal. McBrain being the wack-job amalgam of Keith Moon and Neil Peart, Burr being ridiculously clever with his guitar following fills and blindingly fast rolls. The Priest stable of drummers are average at best. Sure, the tracks from Painkiller are great, but one album of decency cannot stand against the drum onslaught Maiden brings every time they play.

Overall - Iron Maiden quite easily. Better songs, better lyrics, better talent...
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    XD A whole lot of "MY OPINION IS BETTER THAN URS" in this thread so far.

I haven't heard quite as much Priest as I have Maiden, but from what I've heard I like Maiden just a tid more.

But it's really so marginal that it's insignificant, so I say that if these two bands were to duel, neither would gain an advantage and they would end up destroying the entier planet, only to continue the epic confrontation on like, the moon or something.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    i definitely prefer judas priest, though i think "somewhere in time" (my favorite maiden album) is a VERY slightly better album than "painkiller" (my favorite priest album).
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I prefer Priest, I like how they manage to switch up their style over the years. Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, and Painkiller are all great albums that all sound incredibly different.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Maiden easily. As others have already stated I prefer the song writing especially lyrically in Maiden over Priest. Maiden just tended to write about subjects I gave a **** about, history, religion, social commentary etc whereas Priest typically wrote about leather, motorcycles, general rebelliousness etc. I enjoy both bands and own all albums from both but I take Maiden far more seriously than I do Priest. I feel Maiden is a better live band as well.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Maiden is wayyyyy too nerdy. Priest for being an amazing rock and roll band.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Maiden is more consistent for me, I love Judas Priest but Iron Maiden is just more memorable and have a much stronger catalog. Maiden are much better live to, I've seen em a couple of times and my ears are still ringing.
  • n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Black Sabbath.

Seriously though, this is almost impossible to decide. I like Judas Priest just a bit more for their consistency. (IMO, a few Iron Maiden albums have been forgettable at best). Also, while Maiden isn't quite so consistent to me, their best albums have been better thn Judas Priest's best albums.
  • Ratjar3Ratjar3 Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    I would go with Maiden. Both are real good bands, but Maiden songs are far more memorable than Priests.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Judas Priest. I blame my stepfather's influence on my metal tastes here. He liked Iron Maiden too, but he liked Judas Priest more. We had Priest songs playing in the house a lot when I was a kid.
  • lankyyankylankyyanky Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    maiden consistlently and priest at their best. painkiller is a better song than any maiden song, but most maiden songs are better than almost every other JP song. like metallica and megadeth in thrash metal, master of puppets is spectacular but megadeth is consistently better.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    Whoa, 19 to 19... I can break the tie...

The problem is, I don't know which I like better :(
  • JonBobDenverJonBobDenver Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Maiden, although I'm a Priest fan as well, Maiden outclasses them on most fronts.
  • movin_targetmovin_target Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Maiden is simply better to me IMO.