Rockband Bandmate LED Modification

edited December 2008 in Rock Band
Of course I did. :)

I decided the housing was not rad enough so I enlarged the 8 holes in the base and put 5mm white LED's in.

I added a disc of reflective vinyl to the inside of the lid and now it glows like crazy when on.

I stashed all the wires, a battery and an on/off switch under the base.

It was hard to photograph but I think you get the idea.

Check it out:

http://www.postimage.org/PqzXH_9-38b04cd2bdda490f13a4d5dbeef91770.jpg
http://www.postimage.org/aVCCqaS-38b04cd2bdda490f13a4d5dbeef91770.jpg
http://www.postimage.org/aVCCnGJ-38b04cd2bdda490f13a4d5dbeef91770.jpg
http://www.postimage.org/aVCCiHr-38b04cd2bdda490f13a4d5dbeef91770.jpg
http://www.postimage.org/aVCCgci-38b04cd2bdda490f13a4d5dbeef91770.jpg

Now THATS a display suitable for a Rockstar. :)

Comments

• EvilMalletEvilMallet Opening Act
    edited December 2008
  • SnowFreak13SnowFreak13 Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Are you going to mod your first-born? Maybe give him some robotic arms or something?

Haha, just kidding, that looks awesome though!

You should put in different color LED's and set them on timers.
  • edited December 2008
    SnowFreak13;1691429 said:
    Are you going to mod your first-born? Maybe give him some robotic arms or something?

Haha, just kidding, that looks awesome though!

You should put in different color LED's and set them on timers.
    Thanks!

I considered some red LED's on the back half so it looked like Hellfire but in the end went for the Halo Effect.

Heheh, my kid is 11 and she is already taking things apart.
  • jgoshjgosh Super Star
    edited December 2008
  • karmajackkarmajack Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Ya know my immediate thought when you mentioned getting the Bandmate was "I wonder if he'll do something to it."
    Why not go one step further and add an mp3 player and small hidden speaker?
  • edited December 2008
    karmajack;1691590 said:
    Ya know my immediate thought when you mentioned getting the Bandmate was "I wonder if he'll do something to it."
    Why not go one step further and add an mp3 player and small hidden speaker?

And a little sound activated switch so when I set him on the speaker he rocks to the beat. :D
  • drag_racerdrag_racer Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    that really looks badass. If I ever buy one of the bandmates I might do something like that to it
  • BigBadBarryBigBadBarry Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Doc's next project is to make his Bandmate do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5jaD9GaiEs

**Link certified Rick Astley Free!
  • HMXmattitudeHMXmattitude Harmonix Developer
    edited December 2008
    That. Is. AWESOME.

I wish I knew how to do stuff and things.... *mope*
  • edited December 2008
    jgosh;1691585 said:
    That is amazing.
    Thanks jgosh
    drag_racer;1691683 said:
    that really looks badass. If I ever buy one of the bandmates I might do something like that to it
    Thanks, I am very happy with how it came out. I had everything laying around too since I had just got done wiring in LED's for a new Medicine cabinet. You can get great LED deals here: http://www.plasmaled.com/
    BigBadBarry;1691690 said:
    Doc's next project is to make his Bandmate do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5jaD9GaiEs
    **Link certified Rick Astley Free!
    I wonder how hot I would have to get it... ;)
    mattitude;1691700 said:
    That. Is. AWESOME.
    I wish I knew how to do stuff and things.... *mope*
    Thanks Matt, you know all you have to do is start, then its all downhill. :)

A "Kit" RC Car is a GREAT way to get the tinkering bug. "Ready To Run" takes out all the fun.

Just remember my secret mantras and you will always prevail...

"Never Try And Catch A Falling Soldering Iron"

AND

"Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey" :D
  • BTB1979BTB1979 Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    You are officially the most AWESOMEST person on these here forums!!! Seriously!
    Just wish I could order a bandmate to the "Great White North". That seems like a "mod" I could actually do! Lol...
  • sperinesperine Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    That is epic. I'm not very handy in the modding sense (tried modding my PS2 and broke it), but I thought about trying to do something simple in the next month or so. Maybe just doing something cool to my Xplorer or something.
  • Motley KeithMotley Keith Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Nice work Doc! :)

you're the kind of guy i'd like to have as my neighbour lol
  • gunnerxgunnerx Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    That's kickass. Now are you going to create your own set of drums? :D
  • MetallikMetallik Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Omg, Doc, wtf. You can mod everything you want, anyway you want it. You just need to have an idea on what to mod and how to mod it, and that's it, you do it in less than a day. That's amazing, I wish I had that light, it's soo cool :D.
  • edited December 2008
    BTB1979;1691984 said:
    You are officially the most AWESOMEST person on these here forums!!! Seriously!
    Just wish I could order a bandmate to the "Great White North". That seems like a "mod" I could actually do! Lol...
    You are too kind, but your appreciation of my efforts is very cool.
    sperine;1692053 said:
    That is epic. I'm not very handy in the modding sense (tried modding my PS2 and broke it), but I thought about trying to do something simple in the next month or so. Maybe just doing something cool to my Xplorer or something.
    Thanks. I was shocked when I showed it to my wife and she said: "Thats cool, now I want my character!"

Normally my initial project presentations to her get a lot of: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    and "Cant you leave ANYTHING stock"...
    Motley Keith;1692471 said:
    Nice work Doc! :)

you're the kind of guy i'd like to have as my neighbour lol
    Anyone that would have me as a neighbor must me a Skallywag.;) My kind of people. :) Thanks!
    gunnerx;1692508 said:
    That's kickass. Now are you going to create your own set of drums? :D
    Gracias!

Heh, I was actually but the display came out so nice I think I will hold off.

I was going to get one of these to go with it:

http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-196.html

Now instead I am going to get these Roto Toms and put them in the display tube if they fit well. The scale seems good.

http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-161.html
    Metallik;1692570 said:
    Omg, Doc, wtf. You can mod everything you want, anyway you want it. You just need to have an idea on what to mod and how to mod it, and that's it, you do it in less than a day. That's amazing, I wish I had that light, it's soo cool :D.
    Thanks man, some days I wish I could look at stuff without my brain bouncing off the rev limmiter trying to make something that is not broken, better.

Some mornings I walk out to the lab and se stuff like this and think I need to slow down..... nah... :D
  • ShoTTySLanKiNShoTTySLanKiN Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Thats awesome Doc! As I had said in a post you posted recently, have you come up with somekind of shield for where the dpad and xbox/ps buttons are so you dont hit them in a crazy drum session?
  • gunnerxgunnerx Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Wow, didn't realize they sold those mini drum sets! Too cool!
  • edited December 2008
    ShoTTySLanKiN;1692741 said:
    Thats awesome Doc! As I had said in a post you posted recently, have you come up with somekind of shield for where the dpad and xbox/ps buttons are so you dont hit them in a crazy drum session?
    Thanks. You mean you are whacking the center section of your drums where the "controls" are?

Hmm, I never considered that as an issue, and I have an idea...

Sorry if I missed your question before, I dont ignore anyone on purpose unless they earn it and I do not have you on my Persona Non Grata list so I assure you it was accidental.

If anyone has asked a question in a thread that gets lost you can always post quick questions in the comment box in my profile or I always accept friend requests, with the above exceptions, so you can always PM questions too.
  • edited December 2008
    gunnerx;1692772 said:
    Wow, didn't realize they sold those mini drum sets! Too cool!
    Heheh, yeah and I love desk toys.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Were you one of those kids who had to take apart their toys to see how they worked? :)

That's really cool, Doc. Now all you need is a mini-drum set for your figure and he'll be ready to throw the best concert toys have ever seen. Of course, it'll be like Toy Story. He drums when you're not around.
  • war_lordwar_lord Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    jeccaneko;1692819 said:

That's really cool, Doc. Now all you need is a mini-drum set for your figure and he'll be ready to throw the best concert toys have ever seen. Of course, it'll be like Toy Story. He drums when you're not around.
    Well, maybe at first... until he got the animatronics up and running!

lol Seriously though, that's an awesome display case Doc... actually all of the mods are pretty awesome. I may actually give this one a shot once I finally order a bandmate :D
  • batseabatsea Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Doc,

Love your mods, but sometimes I think you just might have a bit of too much time on your hands ;0)
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    batsea;1692953 said:
    Doc,

Love your mods, but sometimes I think you just might have a bit of too much time on your hands ;0)
    That's my question. Are you a stay at home Dad? Do you have your 11 year wiring LEDs like in a sweatshop? :)

The mods are impressive enough, but the volume is truly epic.

I mod a ton of crap for my reef tank but most of that doesn't involve electronics... I'd desperately like to learn some basics in that area so I can actually create some of the cool ideas I cook up. I can teach myself just about anything, but for the most part I don't know where to start so when I see a circuit board I just close stuff back up. Any ideas?

Now that I've just moved and finally have a work bench in my garage I'll be less likely to get looks with projects sprawled out on the kitchen table.
  • edited December 2008
    batsea;1692953 said:
    Doc,

If that were only the case, I would be a contented man.

Unfortunately something is always getting shoved aside to work on the item dejour.

Something is always half done and then priorities switch.

Something is always perfect until I realize that it is not.

If there were 48 hours in a day I would still go to bed each night feeling like something is undone.

Its a curse as much as a skill. Trust me. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb9By-lODgk
  • edited December 2008
    jeccaneko;1692819 said:
    Were you one of those kids who had to take apart their toys to see how they worked? :)

There was not a device in my childhood home that had a proper battery door or all the screws in it.

Look a couple posts back for the Mini drum link. :)
  • edited December 2008
    DMBillies;1693526 said:
    That's my question. Are you a stay at home Dad? Do you have your 11 year wiring LEDs like in a sweatshop? :)
    Heh, at 11, her projects are far more important than mine but she does like to help.

I am a semi-retired consultant and stay @ home dad.

I am lucky, I know I am lucky and I am thankful every day for the life I lead.

I have dug my ditches and punched clocks, but now its my time.

And time keeps on slipping away.....

In 100 years we will all be dust. If one of my devices or mods survies me then I have achieved every mans inner wish...

To be remembered...

Woah, I did not mean to get so philisophical.. often times I cant help it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQiJdf-ebIs
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Doc_SoCal;1693579 said:

I am a semi-retired consultant and stay @ home dad.
    I was being sarcastic when I said it but that's actually awesome. I'd love to be a stay at home dad... once I have kids and if I'm ever lucky enough to make enough money or have a significant other that does.

I'm quite sure it isn't all fun and games but I don't think there could be anything much more rewarding than raising your own kids instead of having to pay someone else to. Of course, I'm a developmental psychologist so I'm probably a little more fascinated by children than the majority of guys.
  • edited December 2008
    DMBillies;1693642 said:
    I was being sarcastic when I said it but that's actually awesome. I'd love to be a stay at home dad... once I have kids and if I'm ever lucky enough to make enough money or have a significant other that does.

I'm quite sure it isn't all fun and games but I don't think there could be anything much more rewarding than raising your own kids instead of having to pay someone else to. Of course, I'm a developmental psychologist so I'm probably a little more fascinated by children than the majority of guys.
    True story man.

I know every kid at my daughters school and they know me.

When I enter the class, I get a cheer of "ROCKBAND DAD" and it melts away anything I was worrying about on my way there.

I was a latch key kid who learned everything the hard way.

Now I struggle to guide without directing, to advise without lecturing, to talk to and not at.

I suppose this answers a lot of questions about my brand of patience eh?

Thanks Doctor. That felt good.

:)