Need Help Fixing A Guitar Controller

xenocide38xenocide38 Opening Act
edited December 2008 in Rock Band
So I moved out of my dorm today and found an Xplorer Guitar Controller for the 360 in the trash. On the off chance that it worked, I took it home with me....

Well it works but it can only upstrum, I figured maybe someone on here would know a simple fix for this. Sure it's fine as a bass guitar but I'd like to be able to downstrum too. All the buttons work fine and it's still in great condition, just this one flaw. Oh and in case it matters, the D-pad only goes up too. It doesn't go down.

Any and all help is appreciated since I'm not much of the modding/fixing type.

But super happy I found a free guitar :)

Comments

• iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited December 2008
    Well, if you wanted to only downstrum, you could open it and flip the leads from the strumbar. It sounds like the up part of the circuit is fine, but the down part is broken on the PCB. This could be a short somewhere, a broken wire, a messed up solder, or any number of things. I don't have much experience with Xplorers, so I don't know what would be the most common problem to look for.

A slightly more in-depth solution would be to wire both sides of the strumbar to the upstrum wires going to the PCB. So basically, the game would recognize you as always upstrumming, even though you'd be strumming up and down. If you need more details, I can see what I can do.
  • xenocide38xenocide38 Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    thanks I'll open it up and hopefully get it working
  • ArmeniusLODArmeniusLOD Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    You can buy a ByteArts strummer to replace the faulty switches and it will work great. It costs $20 with free shipping in the continental U.S. It only took three days to get mine.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited December 2008
    ArmeniusLOD;1695025 said:
    You can buy a ByteArts strummer to replace the faulty switches and it will work great. It costs $20 with free shipping in the continental U.S. It only took three days to get mine.
    I would've suspected his strumbar, except he said his D-pad only goes up too. This makes me think it's actually the PCB that has gone bad.
  • angel2167882angel2167882 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Play lefty mode hahaha!

Seriously, I would have suspected the downstrum microswitch to be gone (they cost 10¢ and super easy to replace) but like others said, if the D-pad does'nt goes down either, it's probably the PCB logic or a cold weld somewhere that cause the problem and would be too hard to fix IMO.

What you could do thus is open the guitar and put the upstrum microswitch on the downstrum side (still connected to the upstrum circuit) so at least you will be able to downstrum right-handed. You can also "merge" (splice) both microswitch wiring to the upstrum circuit so you'll be able to strum up and down using the "up" logic circuit.

If you are at colleage, ask a buddy in electronics to help you but with minimum knowledge, you should be able to see for yourself.