Best Band Comback of 2008 & Who Needs to Come Back *POLL*

RAWKBANDMANRAWKBANDMAN Unsigned
edited December 2008 in History of Rock
Best Comeback: AC/DC-Black Ice (DLC for Album?)
Worst Comback: "Guns N' Roses" AKA Axl Rose-Chinese Democracy

Who Needs to Comeback: Led Zeppelin

Comments

• AnarchyintheUKAnarchyintheUK Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I do believe that Zeppelin are planning to tour again in the next few years but without Robert Plant upfront, so they're looking for a new singer and will be using a new name. So you might get your wish. Not sure what this has to do with Rock Band though.
  • Icyjoe14Icyjoe14 Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Best job sucking up to the press about a crap comeback cd-AC/DC
    Most epic rock album this decade-Guns N Roses
  • skiddzmarkskiddzmark Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    id prefer if led dident make a comeback
    touring, ok
    new album, tho, is not on my most wanted list
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    For christ's sake, both of those comebacks sucked. Black Ice was the exact same as all their other albums, and Guns'N'Roses was too radically different that it blew hardcore.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Black Ice wasn't horrible but it wasn't special.

There is nothing Guns N Roses about Chinese Democracy. The disc is better used as a frisbee.
  • n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    The usual ac/dc hate I see. Their cd was pretty good (hence the avatar). I liked Guns n' Roses (Axl Rose) new cd, but it isn't GnR. On the needs to comeback side though, Led Zeppelin? I love Zep, but I would hate to see them release a cd in the modern world of music. No matter how good a cd is, it'll be bashed, or so it would seem to me. I would love a Zeppelin cd, but would prefer some more Van Halen myself.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    n4sc4r;1697638 said:
    The usual ac/dc hate I see. Their cd was pretty good (hence the avatar). I liked Guns n' Roses (Axl Rose) new cd, but it isn't GnR. On the needs to comeback side though, Led Zeppelin? I love Zep, but I would hate to see them release a cd in the modern world of music. No matter how good a cd is, it'll be bashed, or so it would seem to me. I would love a Zeppelin cd, but would prefer some more Van Halen myself.
    What's wrong with hating them for who they are? Once you've heard a couple of their songs, you've heard them all. They lack a component called "originality."
  • grimface1987grimface1987 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    So basically AC/DC are no good becuase the new album was the same, and Guns n Roses are no good because their new album was different? Ok...
  • TopazDolphinTopazDolphin Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Dunno if it would be considered a comeback, but Coldplay's album was a big surprise.

I would love Christine McVie to return to Fleetwood Mac, but that won't happen. Talking Heads should reunite... but that won't happen... *is sad*
  • xX_Sandman_XxxX_Sandman_Xx Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Guns N Roses by far!!!
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    Although I didn't like Chinese Democracy, at least Axl took a chance and created something different. Black Ice follows the same generic formulaic drivel AC/DC has pumped out for the last 20 odd years.
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    back_blows;1698189 said:
    Black Ice follows the same generic formulaic drivel AC/DC has pumped out for the last 20 odd years.
    And I wouldn't have it any other way:D

If Zeppelin puts out a new album, I'd rather they did it with no singer than "not"-Plant. Like, an instrumental album with just Jimmy, John-Paul, and Jason. That might actually be pretty cool.
    And if they tour, just let the crowd sing it all. We know the words.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I'd say the best comeback was Axl Rose with Chinese Democracy.
    Maybe it's not what people consider GnR, but regardless, it's a fantastic rock record.
    AC/DC was more of the same, too polished and clean. Better than anything since For Those About to Rock, but that's not saying a whole lot.
    Death Magnetic was laughable. I'd rather they make another St. Anger than see them make a tired attempt at recapturing their glory days.
    Not sure who else made a 'comeback.' Maybe Judas Priest with Nostradamus? I think Angel of Retribution came out in '01, maybe? Or was it '04? I can't be bothered to look it up. Either way, Nostradamus was decent, if not bloated.
  • idiotecidiotec Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    The AC/DC album is just embarrassing. You throw out essentially the same album you released 20 years ago and sell it exclusively through Walmart. Lame!

The Guns n Roses album I can at least respect for creativity, although I don't particularly enjoy it.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited December 2008
    The new album by The Cure was a pretty decent comeback record. Definately not as good as their other work, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Well, I hate what I've heard of the new Guns 'n Roses album, but I've always hated GnR, so I can't blame that on the comeback, If anything, I hate the new stuff slightly less, whereas Metallica's and AC/DC's new albums didn't change my opinion of the bands either way. Based on that, I guess I'd have to say GnR had the best comeback.

As for who needs to comeback, the first band to come to mind is the original Sabbath lineup.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Worst comeback this year: none. I didn't see any old band attempt and fail.

Best comeback: Metallica with Death Magnetic. It is the closest Metallica has come to their thrash sound in decades and is a pretty solid album. The worst thing about it is the production.

Who needs to come back: Ringo, Paul, Julian, and Dhani need to join up before it's too late.
  • kdolph32kdolph32 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Chinese democracy. The best rock album in the decade by far. Incredible songs and diversity. Awesome guitar work.:)
  • n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    supernova1324;1697650 said:
    What's wrong with hating them for who they are? Once you've heard a couple of their songs, you've heard them all. They lack a component called "originality."
    Honestly, I agree with you. I wasn't expressing anger against those bashing the band, I was just noticing the usual theme of people hating them. The fact that they don't change their sound just means that you either love them or hate them. I just love the raw sound, and you appear to dislike it. At least they didn't try to change and do horrible (Sorry Metallica).

Now, about Metallica. I absolutely loved Death Magnetic. It is awesome to see them make such a thrilling comeback. I would give that album the comeback of the year award.

Also supernova, your avatar is awesome. Dave Grohl is complete win. I believe they should make Chuck Norris jokes about him. He seems to show up everywhere. As a matter of fact, I saw his name on the heavy metal Christmas album they are advertising on VH1 Classic. Can't wait to play the 3 new Foo Fighters songs on Rock band tuesday!
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited December 2008
    TopazDolphin;1698042 said:
    Dunno if it would be considered a comeback, but Coldplay's album was a big surprise.

I would love Christine McVie to return to Fleetwood Mac, but that won't happen. Talking Heads should reunite... but that won't happen... *is sad*
    Too bad they stole all their songs.

Snap!
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited December 2008
    Talking Heads need to reunite