Best Dream Theater album?

ACDCGAMERACDCGAMER Opening Act
edited February 2011 in History of Rock
Well, after viewing a poll that asked what people thought of Metallica's St. Anger album, I was wondering... which Dream Theater album do you think is their best one? I personally think that it's Awake, but I also think that practically all of their albums are awesome as well. Anyways, what do you guys think?

Comments

• ZenweaponryZenweaponry Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to say either Scenes or Octavarium. Oh, and Panic Attack is one of my underplayed songs off of it.
  • narcosynthesisnarcosynthesis Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    One of my favorite songs by these guts is space dye vest...but it just wont work in rock band what with it being mostly piano...oh well. favorite album? thats tough. I'd have to go with either Train of Thought (stream of conciousness is amazing) or Octivarium just because all of the songs on it are good.
  • narcosynthesisnarcosynthesis Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Prog-rock-rules;1724361 said:
    A Change of Seasons would also make good DLC

haha except for the fact it's like 23 minutes long...
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Ultimatum;1819340 said:
    I think When Dream And Day Unite is the least mediocre. Even though it's Rush worship, at least it doesn't have a a LaBrie ego trip for half the album.
    MdrnDayWarrior;1823378 said:
    I choose When Dream and Day Unite because it is the only full DT album I can stand.
    Like LaBrie much? :rolleyes:
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    He's a lousy vocalist and he ruined the subsequent DT albums with way too many ballads. The ballads always appeared right when the album started to kick up to speed too.
    edited January 2009
    I think he's really awesome. I've always had a thing for high-pitched vocals.
  • Hess1275Hess1275 Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    I don't know how I missed this thread when it was started. I LOVE DT. I have seen them countless times. One of the benefits of living in NY. My buddy from Schenectady even got called onstage to play drums at a show at Madison Square Garden. I think Octavarium is my personal favorite, but my 5 year old son goes nuts for Scenes. He loves to go to bed listening to it.
    Now Dream Theater is a band that deserves an album on Rock Band. Now wouldn't that be nice....
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Is this a trick question?
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Squaretriangles;1882550 said:
    I think he's really awesome. I've always had a thing for high-pitched vocals.
    He blew out his voice at a young age, that's just downright bad technique.
  • MisterMayhemMisterMayhem Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Since we're on the subject of DT albums how about a spin on things? Anyone into their Liquid Tension Experiment material? Personally, it's the same as DT without the vocals (for those who can't stand 'em lol!)
  • BallisticgoatBallisticgoat Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    i only have octavarium, and have only heard a few songs not from that album. so i guess i can only count that as my favorite but hopefully i can get more albums. but every song ive heard from them i like so i dont know
  • ShacklersRevengeShacklersRevenge Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    I would say their Greatest hits.
  • Pizza7Pizza7 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I like SFAM, I&W, and Awake the most. I HATED Octavarium and Train of Thought.

And I agree on LaBrie being intolerable on several songs.
  • Vampire-JekyllVampire-Jekyll Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    I'm not going to vote on this for the simple fact that I don't know enough about Dream Theater. I have the album Awake and 6:00 is just epic on drums... but then again they have one of the most talented drummers on the planet.
  • B. ViciousB. Vicious Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    i really enjoy their heavier songs such as panic attack, this dying soul and constant motion, as well as songs such as forsaken and under a glass moon, are their any other songs similar to those that i haven't heard yet?
  • Wrathchild67Wrathchild67 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    There is no all of the above! With DT it is entirely what mood I am in, if I am looking for more harder and driving stuff it is ToT or SC, but for more melodic and progressive it is IaW or Awake. Sorry but SFAM ended up boring me after a while. Love the concept and the album initially, but it didn't stand the test of time like Operation:Mindcrime has. I know I am in the minority on that based on poll results but oh well,
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Falling Into Infinity is an amazing album, to hell with you for mocking it. >O
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I learned of DT from Rock Band and like Tool, they slowly crept into being one of my favorite bands.

Dream Theater is blowin' my mind right now! :)
    edited February 2009
    B. Vicious;1940292 said:
    i really enjoy their heavier songs such as panic attack, this dying soul and constant motion, as well as songs such as forsaken and under a glass moon, are their any other songs similar to those that i haven't heard yet?
    Try "The Glass Prison" off of Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance.
  • asianforce5asianforce5 Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    My their best was probably scenes but my favorite would have to be train of thought

and AC/DC can kiss my ass
  • a7xforlifea7xforlife Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    such a difficult decision!!!! I chose Systematic Chaos... because In The Presence Of Enemies is my favorite of all their epics, and it has a good balance of kick ass metal and slower more melodic songs. But every DT album (besides When Dream And Day Unite (I HATE their first singer) and Falling Into Infinity (cept 1 or 2 tracks)) is amazing.
  • JoshuaB81285JoshuaB81285 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Gotta go with "Octavarium"...that album is just amazing.
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    JoshuaB81285;2135094 said:
    Gotta go with "Octavarium"...that album is just amazing.
    Probably their best release with Jordan Rudess as their keyboardist.

And the obvious answer here is Images and Words, of course. =P
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    No question, Images And Words is DT's best album, closely followed by Awake and Train Of Thought.
  • NubnutNubnut Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    Images and Words here completely and utterly.

I have to say that this poll is very backwards from the poll on the Mike Portnoy forums/ Dream Theater official forums (where you find all the underground prog addicts) Over there it was.

1. Scenes From a Memory
    2. Images and Words
    3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
    4.Awake
    5. Train of Thought
    6. Falling Into Infinity
    7. Octavarium
    8. Systematic Chaos
    9. When Dream and Day Unite

I wonder why Octavarium is so high over here? (I know over at the MP side, Octavarium is generally considered their best song ever, but I Walk Beside You, The Answer Lies Within and Never Enough are considered amongst their worst).
  • xboxpro57xboxpro57 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Most definitely Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory. If you actually sit an listen to each part, each scene, it is incredible. An amazing story, in the form of an almost-musical, with crazy musical talent. The album is just amazing. The way they transition between vocals of Victoria to Nicholas to the two brothers. It blows my mind. If you listen to the entire album word for word, then finally get to Scene 9: Finally Free, it is almost too much to take. I used to LOVE Octavarium, and I consider it a close second. Same with Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but this album is honestly just a masterpiece.
  • Jerome85Jerome85 Banned
    edited November 2009
    haven't found a dream theater album i could listen to without falling asleep
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    That "lol" next to Falling Into Infinity really pisses me off. It's definitely one of their better albums and I hate how everybody snuffs When Dream And Day Unite. Two albums that don't get enough credit in Dream Theater's discography.
  • 40FootWolf40FootWolf Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Awake is simultaneously their least ostentatious, most theatrical and most well-written album, so I voted that one.
  • Wiiman95Wiiman95 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    These are my favorite in order. Most of you probably disagree.

10. Falling Into Infinty
    9. When Dream and Day Unite
    8. Systematic Chaos
    7. Awake
    6. Train of Thought
    5. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
    4. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
    3. Octavarium
    2. Images and Words
    1. Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memo