Best Dream Theater album?

ACDCGAMERACDCGAMER Opening Act
edited February 2011 in History of Rock
Well, after viewing a poll that asked what people thought of Metallica's St. Anger album, I was wondering... which Dream Theater album do you think is their best one? I personally think that it's Awake, but I also think that practically all of their albums are awesome as well. Anyways, what do you guys think?

Comments

• Prog-rock-rulesProg-rock-rules Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    I am (as you can tell by my name) a huge prog-head..

SFAM for me!
  • comptonstcomptonst Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Thier best album was Scenes from a memory, but my favorite album is Train of Thought.

And since were on the topic, I would like to see the following DT songs make it to DLC:

As I Am
    This Dying Soul
    Pull Me Under
    Learning to Live
    Take Away My Pain
    Its Raining (In New York City) or whatever the song is called
  • XE0392-041723XE0392-041723 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    The consensus seems to be Metropolis Pt. 2, but I personally feel Octavarium, from an artistic and musical standpoint, by far, is easily their deepest and most monumental work of art yet. The unbelievable amount of symbolism layered into it as well as the overall message of the album continually blows me away.

Oh, and comptonst, that last song's called Trail of Tears and it's off of Falling into Infinity.
  • Prog-rock-rulesProg-rock-rules Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    A Change of Seasons would also make good DLC
  • Tono_FyrTono_Fyr Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    The only one it's NOT as far as I'm concerned is Octavarium (Panic Attack was actually the only song I liked on the album when I got it a couple of years ago, I was REALLY disappointed).

As for the rest... Uh... it's a toss up on Scenes, Awake, and Images and Words.
  • Lone BulldogsLone Bulldogs Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I got a question on Dream Theater. I saw Mike Portnoy on That Metal Show on VH1 and he called the band Heavy Metal not Progressive Rock. In fact he said it in a way that made me think he didn't want to be considered prog rock. What qualifies as prog rock? Anyone else see this?
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    I didn't see it~ interesting though. I like them more as a Prog metal band personally.

As for their best~ Scenes from a Memory~ favorite is Images and Words
  • big_d123big_d123 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    gotta be six degrees of inner turbulence, the glass prison is epic
  • ACDCGAMERACDCGAMER Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Wow, these different responses prove that it's complicated as to which album is Dream Theater's best. I hope the majority that chose Octavarium didn't choose it because one of its songs is in Rock Band 2... :(
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    I think When Dream And Day Unite is the least mediocre. Even though it's Rush worship, at least it doesn't have a a LaBrie ego trip for half the album.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I chose Scenes from a Memory, but it's a close call...
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I say Octavarium. It kicks ass all the way through. Listen to the title track. It's amazingly epic.
  • metalhead27metalhead27 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Lone Bulldogs;1731458 said:
    I got a question on Dream Theater. I saw Mike Portnoy on That Metal Show on VH1 and he called the band Heavy Metal not Progressive Rock. In fact he said it in a way that made me think he didn't want to be considered prog rock. What qualifies as prog rock? Anyone else see this?
    I didn't see the show, but Portnoy is definitely a metal head that puts a lot of focus on the power of the music they create. Can't imagines he looks down on prog-rock like you implied though. I remember in an interview saying how they were the weird kids in college who had Metallica and Iron Maiden posters next to Yes and Genesis. I think their influence are pretty even between prog and metal, although if I had to pick one I would say DT is more of a metal band than prog. I think prog snobs would criticize DT for not being "truly" progressive. I'm more of a metal head myself than prog expert so I like like DT's metal-prog mixture a lot.

IMO Scenes is DT's best work. My favorite depends on my mood.
  • MdrnDayWarriorMdrnDayWarrior Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    I choose When Dream and Day Unite because it is the only full DT album I can stand.
  • ThHunterTGMThHunterTGM Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Metropolis Pt. 2, hands down, far and away.

It's my favorite album. Ever.
  • ZenweaponryZenweaponry Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to say either Scenes or Octavarium. Oh, and Panic Attack is one of my underplayed songs off of it.
  • narcosynthesisnarcosynthesis Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    One of my favorite songs by these guts is space dye vest...but it just wont work in rock band what with it being mostly piano...oh well. favorite album? thats tough. I'd have to go with either Train of Thought (stream of conciousness is amazing) or Octivarium just because all of the songs on it are good.
  • narcosynthesisnarcosynthesis Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Prog-rock-rules;1724361 said:
    A Change of Seasons would also make good DLC

haha except for the fact it's like 23 minutes long...
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Ultimatum;1819340 said:
    I think When Dream And Day Unite is the least mediocre. Even though it's Rush worship, at least it doesn't have a a LaBrie ego trip for half the album.
    MdrnDayWarrior;1823378 said:
    I choose When Dream and Day Unite because it is the only full DT album I can stand.
    Like LaBrie much? :rolleyes:
    edited January 2009
    He's a lousy vocalist and he ruined the subsequent DT albums with way too many ballads. The ballads always appeared right when the album started to kick up to speed too.
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I think he's really awesome. I've always had a thing for high-pitched vocals.
  • Hess1275Hess1275 Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    I don't know how I missed this thread when it was started. I LOVE DT. I have seen them countless times. One of the benefits of living in NY. My buddy from Schenectady even got called onstage to play drums at a show at Madison Square Garden. I think Octavarium is my personal favorite, but my 5 year old son goes nuts for Scenes. He loves to go to bed listening to it.
    Now Dream Theater is a band that deserves an album on Rock Band. Now wouldn't that be nice....
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Is this a trick question?
    edited January 2009
    Squaretriangles;1882550 said:
    I think he's really awesome. I've always had a thing for high-pitched vocals.
    He blew out his voice at a young age, that's just downright bad technique.
  • MisterMayhemMisterMayhem Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Since we're on the subject of DT albums how about a spin on things? Anyone into their Liquid Tension Experiment material? Personally, it's the same as DT without the vocals (for those who can't stand 'em lol!)
  • BallisticgoatBallisticgoat Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    i only have octavarium, and have only heard a few songs not from that album. so i guess i can only count that as my favorite but hopefully i can get more albums. but every song ive heard from them i like so i dont know
  • ShacklersRevengeShacklersRevenge Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    I would say their Greatest hits.
  • Pizza7Pizza7 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I like SFAM, I&W, and Awake the most. I HATED Octavarium and Train of Thought.

And I agree on LaBrie being intolerable on several songs.
  • Vampire-JekyllVampire-Jekyll Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    I'm not going to vote on this for the simple fact that I don't know enough about Dream Theater. I have the album Awake and 6:00 is just epic on drums... but then again they have one of the most talented drummers on the planet.
  • B. ViciousB. Vicious Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    i really enjoy their heavier songs such as panic attack, this dying soul and constant motion, as well as songs such as forsaken and under a glass moon, are their any other songs similar to those that i haven't heard yet?