Most Chilling Moments?

altair1121altair1121 Opening Act
edited December 2008 in History of Rock
I always love it when a song gives me the chills - when a part is so powerful or meaningful that it just give you goosebumps. So my question is, what are some of the songs that you get chills during?

One of mine is in Alter Bridge's "Open Your Eyes," right before the guitar solo. (starting around 2:20, and pretty much to the end of the song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFYKZjLD_S4

And also, the end of Wizards in Winter by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. :)

Comments

• supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Pretty much any song with powerful lyrics about war will give me chills.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZfGa5t4e8
    a silver mt zion - 13 angels standing guard 'round the side of your bed

this entire album is the definition of "chilling", but this song is practically guaranteed to unnerve me and remind me how devastated music can make me feel.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited December 2008
    Anything from Agalloch.

Edit: Do I have my size changing back? Wat?
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    afterstasis;1705770 said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZfGa5t4e8
    a silver mt zion - 13 angels standing guard 'round the side of your bed

this entire album is the definition of "chilling", but this song is practically guaranteed to unnerve me and remind me how devastated music can make me feel.
    whoa. Any recommendations for similar bands/albums? That was great.
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    polishdog90;1705864 said:
    whoa. Any recommendations for similar bands/albums? That was great.
    I recommend you check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor, especially their album "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven". Also, try Mogwai.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    DarkSide247;1705932 said:
    I recommend you check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor, especially their album "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven". Also, try Mogwai.
    Haha I didn't realize it was "post-rock". I already have most of GYBE and Mogwai's work. I guess I'll check out more of Mt. Zions music then.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    polishdog90;1705945 said:
    Haha I didn't realize it was "post-rock". I already have most of GYBE and Mogwai's work. I guess I'll check out more of Mt. Zions music then.
    yeah, a silver mt zion is folks from GYBE... also check out...
    set fire to flames, dirty three, rachel's, the pax cecilia, and max richter for more classical + post-rock goodness.
  • dariom94dariom94 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Just about any song with choral vocals or I could just listen to Stairway..that song never fails to give me the chills.
  • JohnTheDrummerJohnTheDrummer Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Watching an Immortal video is pretty chilling.. HA.Ha.hA....

Okay, seriously, I think the song that always makes me shiver is "Would?" by Alice In Chains, mainly at the part where Layne goes "INTO THE FLOOD AGAAAIN!" that part is just AMAZING.
  • DampizDampiz Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Honestly, the only song that has ever given my chills, is no other than Madonna's "Frozen".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6SDMCLN5oM

The video is also my favorite music video of all time, nothing compares to it's simplicity and beauty.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Tough question. I'll try and cut my list down to a Top 8...

1. Elton John's vocals in Levon. I just can't limit it to a particular phrase or word; his singing is in top-form throughout the entire song.
    2. The abrupt introductory guitar riff in The Bangles' cover of S&G's Hazy Shade of Winter.
    3. The twangy guitar solo in The Pretenders' Kid.
    4. The horns toward the end of The Cure's Close To Me.
    5. Danny Elfman's little rant ("Hey there Johnny, boy, I hope you fry!") at the end of Oingo Boingo's Only A Lad.
    6. The first few notes in the guitar solo for Roxy Music's Virginia Plain.
    7. The ending guitar solo in Dinosaur Jr.'s Feel The Pain.
    8. The hammered-on notes (at least that's how they are charted in RB) in Moonage Daydream's solo. Mick Ronson was able to milk a lifetime's worth of emotion from a single note.
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Runesmith;1706596 said:
    Tough question. I'll try and cut my list down to a Top 8...

1. Elton John's vocals in Levon. I just can't limit it to a particular phrase or word; his singing is in top-form throughout the entire song.
    Wow...good call.

This one's not in the "rock" category but fits along those lines. The first time I heard "Try A Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding I pictured somebody just belting it out and giving the song everything they had. For me it was one of those "smack you in the face the first time you heard it songs".
  • SilverChrisSilverChris Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Here's a couple of mine...

The Day That Never Comes - METALLICA
    (The Beginning Guitars are awesome)

The Unforgiven I & II - METALLICA
    (The opening Horns kick start both these great songs)

Sweet Child O' Mine - GUNS N ROSES
    (Again, the openings are my weakness)

Master of Puppets - METALLICA
    (Comes in like a lightning bolt and rides like a rollercoaster)

Runnin' Down A Dream
    - TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS
    (Awesome song, I have a feelin' some Band will remake this song later on down the road maybe a Metal or Hard Rock Band...would be sweet)

Just a Few...
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    The solo on powerslave, the intro to evil has no boundaries, the solo on rock bottom, and the end of helpless are my 3 favorite parts of any songs.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I find the beginning of the eponymous Black Sabbath song chilling, the rain and bells then that fat dark riff then 'What is this...' really send chills down my spine also Roger Daltrey's singing in 'Love Reign O'er Me' is pretty emotional that gives me chills too.
  • spongemonkey95spongemonkey95 Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Great Gig in the Sky. Just saw the Australian Pink Floyd show, and seeing it live definitely made me realize how powerful the song is.
  • Gr4veM1ndGr4veM1nd Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    [QUOTE=SilverChris;1706992]

Master of Puppets - METALLICA
    (Comes in like a lightning bolt and rides like a rollercoaster)

I get the same feeling with "Ride the Lightning."

On that note, I like how "Battery" and "Fight Fire With Fire" start. You're expecting a sappy ballad, then all of a sudden your chair is pushed back by the sheer sonic onslaught that attacks your ears, it's awesome! It actually took me by suprise when I first heard "Fight Fire With Fire."
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    "Master of Puppets" by Metallica: It's incredibly effective how the descending chromatic riff in the intro sets up for the constant back and forth motions of climbing in the verses, reaching the an epic swelling peak with the first part of the chorus, and the frantic slide, slipping back down during the remainder of the chorus.

"Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath: Brilliantly atmospheric, from opening ambient noises of the bells and rain being joined by the iconic tritone riff, to the verses, where the rumbling bass and toms perfectly complement, to those last unexpected notes.

"Naked Burn" by Mastodon: The harsh, biting guitar tone of the main riff helps to brilliantly imply the sensation of freezing water burning your skin and filling your lungs, and I can't help but get goosebumps every time it reaches the refrain of wailing voices crying out, "Save yourself, don't wait on me."
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited December 2008
    In Black by Pearl Jam Eddie Vedder's all like "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life I know you'll be a star, in somebody elses sky" and then when he screams "Why!" like three times. I thought that was really powerful moment in music.
  • edited December 2008
    Uhmm not many songs do give me chills, except for one....

Where did you sleep last night? (Nirvana cover of a song that has no definitive author, but Kurt Cobain gives credit to Lead Belly) around the end of the song when Kurt practically screams the lyrics, gives me chills.
  • ElegyElegy Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    The bridge in All These Things That I Have Done by the Killers
  • DayZIfUDoDayZIfUDo Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    The first time I heard Evanescence in "Bring Me To Life" pretty much gave me the chills ... Michale Graves "Butchershop" about the WM3 is pretty trippy as well. I'm not sure if it's the actual song, knowing the history of the song, the imagery in the video or a little of everything, but it is a wicked song and definitely sends some chills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsH08cPfDfs

DayZ
  • MovieFreak921MovieFreak921 Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    "Nights In White Satin" By The Moody Blues is really a beautiful song and gives me chills every time I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8
  • DasKonstructDasKonstruct Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Warlock by Skinny Puppy at the end when he builds up and starts screaming hurting. Gets me every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFOioskN3pI
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I'm probably alone on this one, but "Everlong" by Foo Fighters has always had a pretty strong effect on me. It's a combination of both the lyrics and Dave Grohl's delivery of said vocals that do it for me.

The guitar solo in "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago is also a really good one for me.

"Babe I'm Gonna' Leave You" by Led Zeppelin also gives me chills. I can't accurately describe the part because I don't know enough about the technicality of guitar playing, but it's a section of chords played on the acoustic guitar after, I believe the first verse ending with the line "Leave you when the summer comes along."
  • Gargoyle2500Gargoyle2500 Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    I have to vote for Paper Cuts by Nirvana (Some of the vocals sound like a chalk board, In a really creepy way) And lots of what Nirvana were playing live in 1988, When they were known as Ted Ed Fred.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    Good call on "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" by Nirvana.

Also Kurt's Unplugged version of All Apologies. That song/video will forever be his epitaph.

Eddie Vedder's face in the Jeremy video. Creepy-chilly. "Jeremy spoke in class today" --- one of the most chilling lines in rock history.

Roger Waters singing "Mother do ya think they'll try to break my balls?....oooooh ah, mother should I build a wall?"

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot. That whole frickin' song is the most haunting, chilling thing I've ever heard.
  • Glenmat1cGlenmat1c Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    Pink Floyd delivers the chill almost every song. The whole Dark Side of the moon album!
  • skyjumperskyjumper Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    It's VERY far from rock but I was watching a BASE jumping video called Continuum once. (I am a skydiver and used to want to BASE jump). "Silence" by Delerium and accompanied by Sarah Mclaughlin (I know what you are thinking, but it is NOTHING liker her typical music.) accompanies a very beautifull and very chilling scene of a memorial jump made for a guy who died while filming the video. It is an absolutely breathtaking memorial for someone, and now... when I hear the song, I get chills down my spine.

Kid Rock's "Bawitawaba", and "Higher" by Creed are on my video of my first skydive, and also gives me chills when I hear them.