The Old Man Band (Players Over 30)

Comments

• Kev2380Kev2380 Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Hi Sue,

Usually the playing begins around 6-7PM EST. I doubt I'll be on tonight, but maybe some of the others will be. Have fun.
  • megatronmegatron Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like an epic jam session, the crowd was still going crazy when the second act hit the stage at 11. Tried to get my stuff done to accept PK & Z's invites but didn't want to join until I knew I was free and clear, unfortunately you guys were out by then. Please keep sending the invites, I usually turn RB on once the kids are off the wii so it's ready to go when I am (& to add dlc before I play). Thanks for the invites M & 5string, E-Pro is one of the easier songs I struggle mightily with, crazy that you each picked that as the opener (sorry for my performance which stunk but I will master it eventually).

Kev, the AC/DC pack is awesome (and I'm not a big AC/DC fan, can't get past the schoolboy outfit). If you don't have it I highly recommend it. All the songs are challenging but still fun to play with tons of energy (being live tracks doesn't hurt either). Thunderstruck's opening is very challenging, I have to use a clip to hold down the green just to get through it on expert.

Got Lost tonight but will try to get on after, let me know or send me an invite if you're going to be on (10:30 ish est)
    edited January 2009
    Hey Sue, I'll add you when I get on later. Know what you mean about overdrive getting in the way, more times than not I lose my streak when kick it in.

As far as difficulty goes, I cool with whatever anyone wants to play. No big deal if you fail, I'm not in it for the fans/points, just to have a good time. All the better if we're challenging ourselves, the points will come as we all get better (except for Z's vocals, sounds like he's maxed out there).
  • zarlorzarlor Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Oh I still have plenty of songs I could do better on. Consistency isn't always there on some of them. I've done pretty good on Tangled Up In Blue before, for example (and I think I'm even in the Top 10 on Shakler's Revenge, go figure) but I can't consistently keep it above 95%. A few of the free DLC songs I just haven't heard enough to keep it in the 90th percentile and none of them am I familiar enough with to get 100% on.

PubKnight and I were discussing ways to try and coordinate Overdrive, since both Vocals and Drums are limited on when they can kick it in, but that's about the extent of point hunting I've done. I'd just like to figure out a good rule of thumb and so far I think just trying to watch for when drums are at half-full is the time to try and kick it in if I can. We've been thinking that another option might be for the vocalist just to stick to the optimum vocal path and generally ignore the drums on taht front, but taht the guitar would kick when the drums do and the bassist would kick when the vocalist does. Don't know. Just some thoughts, but when all is said and done as long as its fun who really cares.

As for what I like... Some of the DLC freebies are pretty good, but I'm not really all that comfortable with any of them. Any of the pay DLC stuff I have I got because I really enjoy, though, although Perfect Drug is nasty on Vocals, they actually set pitches to stuff that Trent Reznor is whispering for crying out loud! (I've thought of getting Snow and maybe ...And Justice For All, but I'm still on the fence for getting those, but know that I know you've got Snow, Kev, I may get that one.)

Of the regular songs I guess I don't like Alabama Getaway (never been a Grateful Dead fan), Tangled Up In Blue, Shacker's Revenge, Peace Sells, Rob the Prez-o-Dent, Visions (I like the driving drum beat and guitars of Death Metal, but the non-existant vocals are downright annoying) and I despise anything by the Beastie Boys (but at least they are mind-numbingly easy,so I can live with it, plus I just change the "lyrics", if you can call them that, to exclaim how much I despise the Beastie Boys. ;)) Most everyting else I'm at least OK with (not so hot on how I do with E-Pro, but I kinda like the song anyway), but most of the song selection pretty much rocks in my book.

Megatron, on the invites, I didn't want to keep sending them thinking you might get annoyed with any more. But now that I know you are cool with it I'll just send them at occasional intervals. I figured when you were ready you'd send one in return and we'd hook up in your band and go that way. My voice was a bit fried from doing the ESL2 on Monday, though, and I was a bit tired to I bugged out a bit early yesterday.

As for times, Suebee, I think we talked about that in PMs. Sounds like you are mostly on later than I am, but I like to be outta the house by 6:30 am, so I've got a fairly early bedtime (but at least I get off work pretty early, too!) So on any given weekday I might be on as early as 3:30pm CT until as late as 10:00pm CT. Though probably not on Thursdays or Fridays (although I may be on this Friday anyway). And tonight I'm booked as well. Saturdays are varied on when and if I can be on. Sundays I'll usually be on in the evenings, but I may be on during the day at times as well.

Don't forget if you send an invite but don't get a quick response that it may be because I'm with someone in a set of songs (or I may have even missed seeing it.) So don't worry about sending other invites to me every now and again.

You also mentioned 5iveWire, but he hasn't posted an FC here, has he? If so I can add him in, might give us more chances to get a full band going on occasion, after all.
  • ennis1437ennis1437 Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    For those of you who did not know when you added me to your friends list my online name is v3. Great duel pubknight! I sent you a pm . I look forward to playing some more later tonight. Maybe there will be enough of us to get a full band going!
    edited January 2009
    ennis1437;1886808 said:
    For those of you who did not know when you added me to your friends list my online name is v3. Great duel pubknight! I sent you a pm . I look forward to playing some more later tonight. Maybe there will be enough of us to get a full band going!
    Ennis, I tried to invite you a couple times last night. I never saw you come into the match making place.
  • PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    ennis1437;1886808 said:
    Yeah, you caught me a bit offguard switching to Expert.
    I've never really score dueled before... it's kind of different.

I'll be on tonight for sure.
    edited January 2009
    I apreciate the invite Kev , But That was not me last night my kids where playing. So If I do not answer that usually means that the wife or kids are playing rock band.
    edited January 2009
    Ah. I sent a few invites to you as well earlier in the afternoon, but I just figured you were already busy or had another pick-up band going or something. I've been trying a bit to get on a little earlier to catch you since you mentioned that as a pretty decent time. I'm sure we'll get it sometime.
    edited January 2009
    I'm still going to play for a bit tonight... nice games Z and Kev.
    I just need a bit of a break (Teenage Riot wipes me out).

I'll be back in 30 mins or so.

A bit of a general thought though, since I think we all have each other added now... regardless or whomevers band we are playing in at the time... we should get in the habit of going back to the lobby periodically to see if anyone else is around that we can invite.

And maybe if you get an invite, but you are in a set... when you get out of your set, fire an invite back as a signal you are available again.

I dunno... just brainstorming... what do you folks think?
    It would be great to play with a true full band... I think so far I've only done it like twice since I got the game.
    edited January 2009
    I've done the full band thing, but only on pickup bands and usually I got a lot of disconnects that way. Not so much fun. Although I've done full band with friends over playing locally, which is always fun. Full band with you guys would probably be a blast!

As for dropping back the the lobby, I think that's always a good idea. Even if it's just the leader dropping back, doing a quick check for anyone else being on and then right back down into another set. I also thought dropping to the Rock Shop to say you needed a short break worked pretty well, too. Good visual cue, I think (although when I did it, PubKnight, you disconnected for a bit and I wasn't sure if that was deliberate or not.)

Not sure how to signal, as a non-leader, you got an invite from someone as a reminder to the leader to check who else might be on. It happened the other day when I was doing a set with PubKnight and Kev sent an invite, but of course he must have sent the invite to PK as well because one the set was done he pull Kev into the band so it worked fine. The other thing is if you see someone on AND they'd previously added you to their band, you can always just try to directly connect to the band and you're good to go when the back up from their set (which I forgot to do today when I saw PK on and sent and invite, when I probably should have just tried to join "Free Beer Tomorrow" instead.
    edited January 2009
    If I'm going to be gone for a bit longer than a short break... like gone for 10-15 minutes... I'll disconnect so whomever I'm playing with isn't sitting around waiting for me.

I know a lot of us don't have a ton of time to play all the time... so if you only had an hour or two, you wouldn't necessarily want to sit around for 15 minutes waiting on someone who's away from the game.

I like the Rock Shop 'code' for taking a break... that works pretty well.
    edited January 2009
    Hey Pub, Good times playing with you last night. Sorry I sucked so bad trying to play on hard. 85% on some of the songs. Sheesh. I need to practice bad. I guess I'm not the best person if you're trying to rack up points.
    edited January 2009
    I don't care about points in the context of how we were playing last night.
    Not. At. All.
    You did fine. You are much better on hard bass/guitar than I am. (Z has seen me try hard guitar/bass at the end of a long session when it was too late for me to be playing drums.... let's just say it wasn't pretty... *cough* loss of 2 million fans *cough*)

Z and I talk about points just for kicks n giggles... and for some general strategies for any BotB stuff. And because he and I have played together reasonably often now (I've played more online with him than everyone else combined)... so trying to improve our scores when we play is a way to tell if we are doing better or not.

I'm thinking I need to push myself a bit more and go from hard to expert... but I'm really torn over the whole thing.
    edited January 2009
    I hear ya, I have enough fun on hard, I doubt I'll ever ben on expert.
    edited January 2009
    Hey PubKnight, you just missed out. Right after you logged I hooked up with Cherkov for a set and then Kev popped in. We played in my band, mainly because I wasn''t sure if Kev and Cherkov had each other in as friends or not, yet. (And Cherkov, sorry about the inviting you in and then kickin you out part, I was trying to suggest that we play in your band instead of mine, was all.) So we just worked on some of my band challenges.

It looks like working on overdrive with two guitar controllers running it's best for the vocalist, in general, to just stick to the optimal vocal path, I think. It seemed to work out pretty good overall (except when I missed a window or got lost or on something like Lump which has annoying hard to activate windows.) For a bit there I though Kev had my vocal cheat sheet in front of him since he was often activiating right as or even a tad before I did (or even a useful amount earlier if he had more energy built up.) Sometimes, though, I think you guys didn't trust me to go off if you 3/4 full before you next OD bars popped up, but sometimes that worked out pretty well. Not to mention when vocals are coming to a tapping section it seems like it's better for the guitarists to kick into overdrive and just pick up more energy by the time the taps are done. Those were my observations anyway. (Oh, and most often if I'm at a full energy bar and didn't hit the very next activation, I probably missed my activation. Some windows are just harder to activate than others and only in a few instances do you fill to full and then activate one or two windows later. Just in case you might be wondering about that.) Lots of fun, though, guys! Thanks for the session!

And megatron and I kept missing each other. Sorry dude, I eded up catching your invite inevitably when I was in the first or second song of a 4 song set. I guess after the first invite I should have gone into Tour mode and done just 1 song at a time so I could have backed up quicker to catch you. Ah well, maybe next time.
    edited January 2009
    It was fun playing last night zarlor, I'm not sure what you mean by the OD thing. I was hoping to keep a 100% streak up on medium. I had about 5 sons in a row but couldn't nail the last one.

Megatron, I'm having issues with your friend code, I keep getting a message saying it's invalid.
    edited January 2009
    Kev2380;1895790 said:
    It was fun playing last night zarlor, I'm not sure what you mean by the OD thing. I was hoping to keep a 100% streak up on medium. I had about 5 sons in a row but couldn't nail the last one.

Megatron, I'm having issues with your friend code, I keep getting a message saying it's invalid.
    I did have the wrong code in my original sig, but it's working now. Sorry about that. Probably gonna be on again around 10ish tonight, I'll send invites when I can jam!!!
    edited January 2009
    I got the same invalid on megtron's invite as well, but I think that happens if he drops back out to a non-online section or at least out of the Tour or wherever he sent the invite from.

As for the OD thing. What strategy were you using for when to kick off your Overdrive mode?

EDIT: megatron I thought Kev meant an invalid request from your invite, but rereading it you might be right about just having the old FC. I was getting some invalid requests, but I think that was just because we kept missing each others invites.
    edited January 2009
    yeah, sometimes I just send out the invites to give a shout. I'll play anything so I don't care to be the band leader so I bounce around quite a bit. I only put a band together if I see a couple of different friends that are basically only linked by my FC. If I join and then quit right away that's what I'm doing & hopefully you'll probably an invite from me fairly quickly that I've found others to fill out the band.

I tried to join a few times last night but you didn't have any openings, just one of those days
    edited January 2009
    I just realized, you were probably playing a guitar, right? Both Kev and Cherkov were on guitar already, so that was probably why you couldn't get in. It never tells me that you tried, though. That figures. Oh well. Maybe next time.
  • CherkovCherkov Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    It was great playing with you guys last night. Much better rocking with a group of people! Overdrive for me is just whenever I get full or someone else activates. Sometimes I will save it if I notice someone is struggling with a difficult song and needs saving. It's easier to do as a guitarist.
  • Candy442Candy442 Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Hi there group, I am an "old lady"...smile. I sent Zarlor my friend code to invite when you need a drummer or singer? I am a solid medium level drummer with trying to get better than 94 percent on the Hard level. I can also sing on Hard level with pretty good results.

Look forward to playing!;)
    edited February 2009
    Hi Candy442,
    Welcome to the Rock Band geriatrics wing (kidding).
    Why don't you post your friend code here so we can all add you.

On a personal note, I know no one cares, but I needed to share this somewhere... and when I tell my wife this sort of stuff, she just gives me one of those confused kind of looks:
    - Just passed Visions on hard drums.

Now, only Battery and Panic attack left.
    I'm figuring next to visions, with a couple of practice runs through them, they should be cake.
    edited February 2009
    Congrats, PK!

Candy442, I kinda agree with PK on just posting your FC. The nice thing about the FCs is that they are nothing like email or anything. Just giving it out doesn't all of a sudden mean you start getting invites from who knows where or that anyone will be able to figure out how to hack your Wii from it or anything. If someone add your FC on their Friends list then all that happens is that you would go onto their pending list. It wouldn't notify you or do anything at all to let you know someone added you to their Friends list or anything. In essence the only way the FC is useful is if you both exchanged FCs beforehand so that both you and the remote Wii put them in, then you'll show up on each other's Friends lists. So it's not like you run the danger of spam emails or anything by posting it. And even if something like that were possible all you'd have to do is rename your RB2 game (ask Kev for the details if you ever need them) and it apparently generates a whole new FC for you and all your old friends will only see your old, defunct name on their list. Up to you, of course, but thankfully it's nothing like posting your email or something.
    edited February 2009
    hey guys anybody plan on playing tonight or in the morning I will be home tomorrow between 10 and 3 est. And tonight as well not really in to the supperbowl
    edited February 2009
    Pubknight;1900224 said:

Now, only Battery and Panic attack left.
    I'm figuring next to visions, with a couple of practice runs through them, they should be cake.
    Yeah, ok, I lied.
    Panic Attack is brutal.
    Good song... but brutal tough.
    edited February 2009
    I'll be on shortly. Not much of a Superbowl guy myself, either. Well, maybe if the Saints were playing and I guess if the Cards could get in we might have some hope... well within the next 70 years, anyway.
    edited February 2009
    Dang, Ennis, Master Exploder? Just whip that one out on me why don't you. ;) That's one oof those songs that takes listening through a couple of times before I do it, and even then I don't always remember where to change my ocave to get it all the time. My problem is that JB is eseentially a first Tenor, whereas I am a second Tenor. I've got a few more notes on the bottom end than he has, but he has about as many above... well, that's not completely true, I can sometimes get up into that whistle register, but not without grabbing an extra breath in there, I just lose far more air than JB does in the real thing. It usually takes me a couple of run-thorughs to catch my stride on it and switch registers (and catch breath) at the right times. Tought song and you were wailing at it on Expert. Very nice, as was Chop Suey. (I love that song anyway, so taht helps.) Now if I could just hit the OD at the right times and remember that Everlong has all those darned early activations that are such a pain to get....
    edited February 2009
    Sorry ,Z I only had time for one set and I figured I would really give you the full on vocal test! Sorry for tanking on that Steally Dan song Man I don't know why I had such a hard time with that, whew thanks for the help. That first Zildgian mystery setlist was not really my cup of tea. So I am glad we got to do some make your own setlist stuff, man If you and I could practice just a little more I believe we can gold star Carrry on Wayward son. That was the highest duo score I have ever had and I missed several sections at the end because I started looking at the score , that is a really cool vocal showcase for you. Well done! I accedintelly deleted you from my friends list so I sent another request.