The Old Man Band (Players Over 30)

Comments

• megatronmegatron Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Z, couldn't help but be impressed with the platinum mic symbol. I assume that's the reward for completing the ESL? Does anyone know how that works? Is it platinum for xpert, gold for hard, etc?
  • zarlorzarlor Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I apparently got it finishing the ESL2, but I didn't know there were different colors. I did do it on Expert though, so maybe there are other colors and I just didn't realize is.

5ivewire, I have problems using that controller trying to play it like a traditional bass as well, I think the Guitar Hero: World Tour controller works better for that. But PK mentioned to me the following mod: http://www.bytearts.com/strummer/index.html

I'm thinking I will order it for one of my controllers and see if it fixes some of those missed strums, although taht won't help the occasional miss on the fret buttons, where I find I have to be a little more careful about appling pressure directly back on the button. It seems if you have some side pressure going it doesn't always contact all the way down, or "click" in. The hardest part I find is having played some bass as well that I catch myself at times anticipating the note by holding up the strum bar (since the real thing only makes the noise when you let go of the dtring, not when you pull it up!) I have to remind myself that ALL notes should be plucked quickly and that rectifies that problem normally... well on the GH:WT guitar, anyway. This RB2 one just doesn't seem to handle finger-plucking well at all, so I just revert to, essentially, thinking of thumb slapping it instead. Meaning I seem to do better playing it like the regular guitar. But doig it the bass way just feels SOOO much more right! If I order that mod I'll let you know how it works out.

And as a side note, here's tomorrow's DLC for the Wii:

Blondie - Hanging on the Telephone
    All American Rejects - Dirty Little Secret
    Boston - Hitch A Ride
    Boston - Peace Of Mind
    Boston - Smokin'
    Boston - Something About You

I'll probably get everything but the Blondie song. It's just not one of her better songs, IMHO.
  • 5ivewire5ivewire Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    i'm excited about the "p-bass" controller when it becomes available. it would feel somewhat more natural to use/play. . . . . or so they say. . . . .
  • Kev2380Kev2380 Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Nice job doing the ESL Zarlor, how long did it take you?
    edited February 2009
    It took about 6 hours, I think. You can't stop the setlist to save for later, like you can with Challenges, but I would pause it after sets in songs and such to get water and take breaks as needed.

Ennis,

Sorry about that setlist with Ace of Spades as the last song. I was flipping back and forth between Hard & Expert on there and kind of waiting before I chose so I could get you to take a look at the setlist for that set just in case there was a song like that in there. Still, we might ahve gotten through it. I was trying a couple of different things on the save stuff and I think that if you hold off on the save as long as you can it makes no difference to how high up that green bar pops up. So I think that in a section where I can hold off saving you until the last second it would have meant more time for you to recover and maybe get back in. I did try to hit one section before you failed when I got it so you would be able to get through it without failing out, but the next section I didn't hold off on the save like I think I should have and I think that stopped us from being able to finish the song out. I've heard it's just horrendous on Hard drums to make it though that song (and Painkiller, I've heard is a nightmare as well.)

5ivewire & Candy, I was feeling really out of sync, especially at first, on when you guys wanted to kick in Overdrive. What is your strategy on that? It looked like you guys were trying at least to make sure everyone was at least half, but I couldn't tell if you were wanting to try to hold until someone was full, or if you were trying to key off of me or something. I think I got lost a little because I usually try to key off the drummer and I figured since drummers seem to, in a sense, lose points (and play time! Well sort of..) on those fill sections until they kick into overdrive that I usually see when they are at half and maybe try to see if they have a fill section coming up and if they do I kind of assumed they would just kick it in. It's worked pretty well when I've tried that method with PK before. But adding in the Bass/Guitar it looks like it shouldn't hurt to make sure that they are at least at half as well. Or were you guys looking more to go to full or something (which can sometimes be pretty advantageous for the bass/guitar or vocal line, but not always, it just depends on the note/phrase density you'll be playing while in OD, I think?)

Not that it matters much, mind you, I was just curious. It's pretty cool when we got those synced up sections and I figured if I knew what you guys were doing I could work on matching it up better.

Oh, and thanks for picking I.V. on that setlist you made up at the beginning. I haven't really played with it much, so I'm still not that good with it, but I really like the vocals on it and it's a pretty good range for me, too. I'm starting to like that song more and more.
    edited February 2009
    I just realized something. Bassists and guitarists have an easy way of saying they would like to switch out instruments, they just flip between bass and guitar on teh difficulty selection screen. But what about vocalists and drummers, or even guitarists that just want to switch out? I was thinking maybe if in the "waiting Room (or whatever you call it where you see and select your characters) we should just flip between several characters to say "hey I'd like to switch out" and see if anyone else flips characters with you to show they would be amenible to doing that?

Then again I'm probably getting way to complicated with all this. ;)
  • PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Well folks, wanted to give you all a bit of a heads up.
    I'm going to try to play tonight for a bit if I can, but after tonight, I'm out of commission for a while (at least with drums).
    Having a hip surgery done, so I don't know when I'll be able to sit at a drum stool next.
    Going to try to use the downtime to move to hard bass... but if you see me around over the next little while, I'm likely just cruising on medium bass or guitar.
    (there is also a good chance I'll be heavily medicated... so feel free to choose the Grateful Dead)
  • 5ivewire5ivewire Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    i was a little "out of sync" again last nite again-started getting frustrated. :mad:

Good luck on your surgery Pub

i was thinking that since the wii doesnt have the communication options like the the xbox360, maybe if everyone wanted to "connect" via yahoo messenger or something, we could send info back & forth that way?
  • ennis1437ennis1437 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Good luck with the surgery pubknight, I hope all goes well. I am going to try and get on sometime around 5 or 6 E.S.T Maybe we can get a full band going on. Do most of you like doing the tour or challenges in aother peioples bands or quick play just thought I would through that one out there.
    edited February 2009
    I'm up for most anything. Tours, challenges and battles are all fun. I don't like quickplay as much, though.

As for using some kind of IM, that's not so easy for me, my "monitor" (well, 116" screen, really) is shared between my computer and my Wii, so I have to flip between them. I could set up another little monitor, but I'd prefer not to and although a good bit of the security issues with messaging have been fixed, I still prefer to avoid it. I do have Team Talk (http://www.bearware.dk, I like it for several reasons including that the server version is free, unlike Team Speak or that other one folks always use which I forget the name of right now, and it allows you to control the volume of other folks on the channel individually.) I can set it up as a server on my system or we can use the public server in Denmark. Plus you don't have to type anything with it (although I would highly reccomend in this scenario that folks use the Push To Talk feature rather than leaving the mic open or set to audio activate.) I know that's not an option for PubKnight, since his computer is too far away from his Wii, but that would leave him out from using something like Yahoo Messenger as well. Besides, he'd just be whining about all that hip pain anyway. ;) (Seriously, though, good luck with the surgery!)

I sometimes do try to flip over between sets just to check email real quick, so that's another possibility. Whoever wants to try that I'll PM you my email address (kind of stupid to say since a quick Google search would probably reveal it in 2-seconds flat. ;)).
  • Candy442Candy442 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Zarlor,

We really do not have any sort of timing when it comes to overdrive. I have been reading so much on what is good, that I tend to watch the singer since they seem to have the least amount of windows to go into overdrive. I have gone from hitting it every time with the drums to now waiting for the singer, if there is one... so...I would watch your meter, then pass up the overdrive only to see you activated it..so then I had to wait for my next window...lol. It was funny, so I just said, "what the heck" and did whatever.
    so that is why we were all out of sync last night..smile. It doesnt really matter to me when we are doing the world tour anymore, but I need to get more familiar during battles so that we can all get the most points when points matter.

By the way, I am glad you liked the I.V. choice, I love that song too...but I have to tell you, I searched many cities for Rob the Prez o Dent...lol..just kidding! If we could talk during the game like on those "other" systems....then you would probably do more laughing than singing..grin. I was tempted to get you to chuckle by hesitating on both your favorite songs...grin.

Your suggestions certainly would help! I like to get everyone 'full' before going into over drive, personally...

Abigail is my younger son's girlfriend and she is starting to learn...so Brett, me, and her all switch to allow her to find her favorite instruments...smile

I also wondered what you thought of Brett's pajama outfit last night...lol?
    edited February 2009
    Well, you inspired me to start switching outfits since every time I see your toon you've got something new on, so expect a little more variety. ;) I thought maybe Brett was getting ready for a Harry Potter convention the other night, though.

I must admit that I know you mentioned liking vocals and if there are three of you over there, maybe it would be better off if I just jumped in on guitar instead when I get an invite from you guys. Obviously I enjoy doing the vocals, but I've got all these other controllers here not just for friends to play, after all! So I don't mind swapping off. I guess if you want to work on top scores for the Battles, though, then it might be useful for me to switch out at those times, depending on how you feel about singing the songs in the battle.

As for OD... there's a couple of ways we could try it. If you're looking for score I don't think it's all that advantageous for a drummer to hold off for more than maybe 3 or 4 fill sections. If the vocalist is in or coming to a Tapping section (especially a long one) then it may also be worthwhile to kick it in just so you can fill back up by the time the vocalist comes out of the taps. But syncing drumsa nd vocals becomes a question since a lot of songs have longer intros and holding for the singer to even get to a half bar might not be good then, either.

So many variables! What PK and I were doing was trying to keep an eye on each other's bars and start to anticipate. On the vocals line the vocalist is often going to want to hold off on kicking in OD until the very last second to squeeze out more phrases (and thus more points) on the end if they can. And all too often drum fills and those sections where a vocalist can kick will coincide, so the rule that PK and I were using was that, I think, the drummer wouldn't hold for more than maybe 4 or 5 fills and watch to see if the vocalist can get enough energy to go by then. If not or if a tapping sections is coming up then he'd just kick off on his next fill. But if it looked like I would be at half or more and he saw a spot I could activate and he had a fill section, then we'd both look for that and kick off then. Basically, though, I would just look for the drummer to be at half, then look if I can see a fill section coming on drums and that would be my cue to kick it off. Sometimes if I have a 3/4 for full bar, though, I might kick off early if I think it's in a section where I can sustain the OD long enough for when the drummer goes in the near future.

The other option we thought of, especially with a full band, would be to just have the vocalist and the drummer completely ignore each other. Then either have the guitar and bass key on the drummer OR have the guitarist only key on the drummer and the bassist key on the vocalist. But I think in no case should anybody hold off to the point where they would be getting more energy than their bar could hold, if you can help it. The reason for going separate is that, as you've noticed, vocals can be a bit tricky on when you can and can't go into overdrive. But there is definitely a path of when to kick off overdrive in the song that should give you the optimal amount of points, at least for the vocal section. (I have a cheat sheet for that so I can remember where those are.. as long as I don't lose count in the song, anyway, which I have been known to do.) The problem is not being sure how well those paths will match up, if at all, with other sections in the band (like if a vocalist is singing solo without the other instruments playing during that part of the song then the other members kicking off OD at that time means only the vocalist gets the benefit as they won't be getting the multipliers on their notes... because they don't have any.)

But when all is said and done, I was looking at some of the scores on the leaderboard the other day (mainly just viewing bands on my Friends list) and right now I think "Friends of the Family" is doing pretty darned well scoring-wise, so you may well have some better strategies than I do on that already.

If you want to play around with it sometime, though, let me know.

As for communications, is your computer near your Wii? Maybe we can do voice communications if you prefer., as I mentioned in a post above. I personally prefer Team Talk, but if someone else is providing a hosting server it's easy enough to get the TeamSpeak or Ventrillo (I rememebered the name of the other one) client.

As for laughing... I do plenty of that. I always talk to the screen. I saw Brett hestitate on a song flipping between Hard and Expert and I was telling him the whole time to just "Do it." And then clucking like a chicken when he just picked Hard. >:)
    edited February 2009
    Get well soon Pub! I have not seen you on our friends list yet. I do have my FC posted on my signature. Now that you will be playing Bass, we will be happy to include you in when you are up to it. Well, even if you arent...lol, it won't matter to us!. Sometimes it just helps to ease the pain to concentrate on something else.

We will look for you soon and if I come across a "hip" friendly drum stool I will pass the link on..smile.

Zarlor,

I will have to cheat sheet the vocals since I have a hard time knowing when you can go into overdrive from a remote location. Is there a trick to knowing that?

I was laughing so hard I couldn't see through the tears when Brett was caught in his "magic user" pajamas...he was showing Abby the outfit and we were laughing at that, then she wanted to try the drums, she and Brett were going to play one with me trying to recuperate from my laughing spell...then they got the invite from you. Brett was really having a hard time deciding whether he should change before he accepted. Abby and I talked him into just staying in them...LOL. He was laughing too!.

I am glad you talk and laugh at the screen...we do too! And believe me, I always encourage Brett to choose the harder difficulty. He is so worried he will fail and cause everyone to be upset.
    Brett can play the real Bass instrument fantastic (he's also very good on the six string guitar)! Plus he is a perfectionist when it comes to his music playing. I do not really play the drums...not yet at least..smile. But Brett is very good and playing the RB2 bass is nothing like the real deal. Still, he doesn't want to let anyone down.

Also, the song we zapped out of yesterday...Brett was playing the drums and the batteries died on the set. He shut everything down to replace them, so sorry about the exit. If we ever just disconnect suddenly, it's due to a power failure, internet loss, or batteries dying. We would never just unplug for no reason!

see you soon!
    edited February 2009
    I figured there was a problem somewhere, and nothing deliberate. Of course when it comes to failures, that's part of the reason for this thread, IMHO. The folks here are pretty much agreeing to only deliberately disconnecting between sets whenever possible and to otherwise just be happy with any level of play folks are trying even, or perhaps especially, when they fail! It can be just as fun doing saves and hitting overdrives to prevent failure as you go through a song as it is to try to get perfect, so there should be no worries there. I think you never really get better until you start pushing yourself, so sometimes taking the risk can be worth it, I think.

As for vocal cheat sheets, here are a couple of links to a shorthand method (and paths) some other folks have been using for RB2 songs and DLC songs. They are not as useful if you are not concentrating on strictly vocals, although the AT notations (After Taps) can sometime help if you keep count of where the tapping sections are sometimes. It may be useful, though, as a way to annotate how many energy phrases their are between things like taps or long open sections... hmmm... I may have to work on something like that for the band stuff...

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14707&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=f732dbee0f4f7f0da38910e7fb33d5a4
    http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17397&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

There are also some decent tips and such in other threads on that site for vocal technique and even links to vids of other vocalists "FCing" songs and such. Although I think the most important technique isn't really covered there very well, which is breath control. Since RB often makes you sing primary and secondary vocal parts grabbing breaths quickly and efficiently can sometimes make all the difference, I find.
    edited February 2009
    Good luck with the surgery Pub, I'm going to try to be on tonight. Not sure for how long.
    edited February 2009
    Zarlor, I need to show my wife this, she thinks I'm obsessed with the game, after reading your posts, she'll think it's just a casual hobby compared to you. =)

BTW, did you download all of the Boston DLC, I was really tempted to get More Than A Feeling and Peace of Mind, I have a hard time buying something that's on RB1, which I currently own.
    edited February 2009
    Yes PK, also hoping here that everything goes excellent with your surgery & rehab.

Kev, I hear ya on the re-buying RB1/Track Pack stuff, but 've given up the ghost on the TP. I don't think that disc is going to see the light of day at our house again ($30 flush). I'll be on tonight after Lost (10 pm est), hope we can hook up for a jam tonight
    edited February 2009
    Let Me know if any of you get Peace Of mind. I wanted to get it but after last weeks fiasco. I am going to wait and confirm that it downloads and plays correctly. If you have not heard just check out the thread "Wii DLC Corrupt". Harmonix says the problem is solved but for those of us who bought dlc between 10 and 5 est we all have either a song we did not purchase or corrupted files. In my case I purchased Gimme three steps and got some oasis song.
    edited February 2009
    megatron;1912706 said:
    Yes PK, also hoping here that everything goes excellent with your surgery & rehab.

Kev, I hear ya on the re-buying RB1/Track Pack stuff, but 've given up the ghost on the TP. I don't think that disc is going to see the light of day at our house again ($30 flush). I'll be on tonight after Lost (10 pm est), hope we can hook up for a jam tonight
    You are so right about the track pack. I think I really only bought it for More than a feeling, it has some other decent songs on their, but I can't remember what they are. That shows you how much I play it. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get Peace of Mind and More than a Feeling tonight. Hope to see you guys on.:D
    edited February 2009
    got most of the Boston dlc last night (including PoM) and everything was fine but i only played it with guitar. I'll should be on tonight at some point (after Lost and possibly a round of golf so it could be late), I'll send you an invite when I can jam.
    edited February 2009
    Well, when it comes to some of these songs I've probably bought them not just on RB1 or the Track Packs, but on vinyl, tape and CD as well. So I feel the pain on those. (And as for obsession, *I* didn't write those threads, I just happened to do a quick Google and it came up with those.) Still, when all is said and done, I bought all of the Boston songs. What can I say, I had a lot of good times in the early 80s to more than a few of those tunes.

As for the DLC issues, I never ran into any issues on any of my downloads, even those last week. I may or may not be on tonight. It just depends on how long it takes me to do some other things I'm working on tonight. Tomorrow is an early day, if at all, and Friday is pretty much a no-go for me. But Saturday is a probable and Sunday is usually pretty open for me.
    edited February 2009
    I should be home all day Friday I should be off and on on the wii througout the day and Friday night if anybody wants to jam look me up.
    edited February 2009
    Heya folks,

Back home from the hospital.
    Things went much better than even I had hoped.
    To the point that I think I can still play drums.
    Of course there is absolutely no way I can test that theory with my wife babysitting me over the next couple of days... but I should be able to test things out by Monday or so.
    edited February 2009
    Glad to hear it, PK! Although I think you really need to get your wife addicted to RB2 so she'll want to play as well. ;)
    edited February 2009
    welcome back PK, great news...what about sending your wife shopping? Z, I've tried and tried to get my wife to play, no dice, some people just don't get it. in her defense, she's never been a gamer (other than Ms Pac Man). My experience has been that people that don't sing (even if it's just in the car or wherever) aren't real keen on the whole plastic instrument genre. I notice them when we have parties, they never sing and aren't really into playing guitar or drums either, it's just what everyone else is doing. They just don't have the music inside needing to get out. It makes me sad.
    edited February 2009
    I think you are right Megatron...if the people don't have the music in them from the get go, they won't find any entertainment in the game. Although, have the wives even tried it? I have been a video game participator since my sons bugged me for them in the eighties..smile. Maybe having sons helped, I don't know. I just love to have fun and will try anything. I hope the wives try it! or maybe we can start the "wives band" and see what happens? I am up for it if they want to try!

I will be around for anyone to invite tonight, tomorrow on and off all day, early and late Saturday, and half of Sunday...just add me and let me know your code if you are new here.

Very glad to hear all went well for you PK! hope we can get some songs done when you feel up to it, although I play the drums and if I see your invite I will switch to something else.

:)
    edited February 2009
    she plays at parties & with me on occasion, she's a med/hard guitarist but won't sing. i have a few other friends that refuse to sing as well and they generally poo poo the whole thing. they also try their best to hustle us into a poker game asap. meanwhile, nobody has more fun than when they're singing, especially if they actually can sing. i mostly play guitar but enjoy singing songs i know, you gotta get into it & "own the stage".
    edited February 2009
    I won't be on tonight (I'm off in just a minute to choir practice), but yeah singing is a blast for me. Sometimes I get a bit carried away and screw up when I shouldn't, but oh well. It's just a blast to do. Although some of the guitar solos are just like when I air guitar the darned things, like in GH:WT on Crazy Train... it's a royal pain even just on Medium, but it is a blast. I'll kick in overdrive on some of those songs left and right because I just start jammin' and don't bother worrying about where the controller is positioned!

Ok, that was probably too much information... I think I'll go now...
    edited February 2009
    megatron;1918716 said:
    welcome back PK, great news...what about sending your wife shopping? Z, I've tried and tried to get my wife to play, no dice, some people just don't get it. in her defense, she's never been a gamer (other than Ms Pac Man). My experience has been that people that don't sing (even if it's just in the car or wherever) aren't real keen on the whole plastic instrument genre. I notice them when we have parties, they never sing and aren't really into playing guitar or drums either, it's just what everyone else is doing. They just don't have the music inside needing to get out. It makes me sad.
    My wife always says she doesn't want to play , but it only takes sitting her down and playing one song for her to want to play more. It's just getting to that point that's rough. She likes playing the drums and singing. With the new baby she's pre-occupied.
    edited February 2009
    My wife just isn't much of a music person.
    Every once in a while she'll join in, but she just isn't into music at all really.
    I created her a little avatar, and she likes changing the outfits. The most success I've had getting her to play is when she realized she needed to play to get money to buy new outfits.
    Scary how close that mirrors real life.

Tested the hip out a bit today.
    Still a bit too early for drums.
    Going to try it out again in a few days.