The Old Man Band (Players Over 30)

Comments

• Candy442Candy442 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Get well soon Pub! I have not seen you on our friends list yet. I do have my FC posted on my signature. Now that you will be playing Bass, we will be happy to include you in when you are up to it. Well, even if you arent...lol, it won't matter to us!. Sometimes it just helps to ease the pain to concentrate on something else.

We will look for you soon and if I come across a "hip" friendly drum stool I will pass the link on..smile.

Zarlor,

I will have to cheat sheet the vocals since I have a hard time knowing when you can go into overdrive from a remote location. Is there a trick to knowing that?

I was laughing so hard I couldn't see through the tears when Brett was caught in his "magic user" pajamas...he was showing Abby the outfit and we were laughing at that, then she wanted to try the drums, she and Brett were going to play one with me trying to recuperate from my laughing spell...then they got the invite from you. Brett was really having a hard time deciding whether he should change before he accepted. Abby and I talked him into just staying in them...LOL. He was laughing too!.

I am glad you talk and laugh at the screen...we do too! And believe me, I always encourage Brett to choose the harder difficulty. He is so worried he will fail and cause everyone to be upset.
    Brett can play the real Bass instrument fantastic (he's also very good on the six string guitar)! Plus he is a perfectionist when it comes to his music playing. I do not really play the drums...not yet at least..smile. But Brett is very good and playing the RB2 bass is nothing like the real deal. Still, he doesn't want to let anyone down.

Also, the song we zapped out of yesterday...Brett was playing the drums and the batteries died on the set. He shut everything down to replace them, so sorry about the exit. If we ever just disconnect suddenly, it's due to a power failure, internet loss, or batteries dying. We would never just unplug for no reason!

see you soon!
  • zarlorzarlor Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    I figured there was a problem somewhere, and nothing deliberate. Of course when it comes to failures, that's part of the reason for this thread, IMHO. The folks here are pretty much agreeing to only deliberately disconnecting between sets whenever possible and to otherwise just be happy with any level of play folks are trying even, or perhaps especially, when they fail! It can be just as fun doing saves and hitting overdrives to prevent failure as you go through a song as it is to try to get perfect, so there should be no worries there. I think you never really get better until you start pushing yourself, so sometimes taking the risk can be worth it, I think.

As for vocal cheat sheets, here are a couple of links to a shorthand method (and paths) some other folks have been using for RB2 songs and DLC songs. They are not as useful if you are not concentrating on strictly vocals, although the AT notations (After Taps) can sometime help if you keep count of where the tapping sections are sometimes. It may be useful, though, as a way to annotate how many energy phrases their are between things like taps or long open sections... hmmm... I may have to work on something like that for the band stuff...

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14707&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=f732dbee0f4f7f0da38910e7fb33d5a4
    http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17397&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

There are also some decent tips and such in other threads on that site for vocal technique and even links to vids of other vocalists "FCing" songs and such. Although I think the most important technique isn't really covered there very well, which is breath control. Since RB often makes you sing primary and secondary vocal parts grabbing breaths quickly and efficiently can sometimes make all the difference, I find.
  • Kev2380Kev2380 Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Good luck with the surgery Pub, I'm going to try to be on tonight. Not sure for how long.
    edited February 2009
    Zarlor, I need to show my wife this, she thinks I'm obsessed with the game, after reading your posts, she'll think it's just a casual hobby compared to you. =)

BTW, did you download all of the Boston DLC, I was really tempted to get More Than A Feeling and Peace of Mind, I have a hard time buying something that's on RB1, which I currently own.
  • megatronmegatron Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Yes PK, also hoping here that everything goes excellent with your surgery & rehab.

Kev, I hear ya on the re-buying RB1/Track Pack stuff, but 've given up the ghost on the TP. I don't think that disc is going to see the light of day at our house again ($30 flush). I'll be on tonight after Lost (10 pm est), hope we can hook up for a jam tonight
  • ennis1437ennis1437 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Let Me know if any of you get Peace Of mind. I wanted to get it but after last weeks fiasco. I am going to wait and confirm that it downloads and plays correctly. If you have not heard just check out the thread "Wii DLC Corrupt". Harmonix says the problem is solved but for those of us who bought dlc between 10 and 5 est we all have either a song we did not purchase or corrupted files. In my case I purchased Gimme three steps and got some oasis song.
    edited February 2009
    megatron;1912706 said:
    Yes PK, also hoping here that everything goes excellent with your surgery & rehab.

Kev, I hear ya on the re-buying RB1/Track Pack stuff, but 've given up the ghost on the TP. I don't think that disc is going to see the light of day at our house again ($30 flush). I'll be on tonight after Lost (10 pm est), hope we can hook up for a jam tonight
    You are so right about the track pack. I think I really only bought it for More than a feeling, it has some other decent songs on their, but I can't remember what they are. That shows you how much I play it. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get Peace of Mind and More than a Feeling tonight. Hope to see you guys on.:D
    edited February 2009
    got most of the Boston dlc last night (including PoM) and everything was fine but i only played it with guitar. I'll should be on tonight at some point (after Lost and possibly a round of golf so it could be late), I'll send you an invite when I can jam.
    edited February 2009
    Well, when it comes to some of these songs I've probably bought them not just on RB1 or the Track Packs, but on vinyl, tape and CD as well. So I feel the pain on those. (And as for obsession, *I* didn't write those threads, I just happened to do a quick Google and it came up with those.) Still, when all is said and done, I bought all of the Boston songs. What can I say, I had a lot of good times in the early 80s to more than a few of those tunes.

As for the DLC issues, I never ran into any issues on any of my downloads, even those last week. I may or may not be on tonight. It just depends on how long it takes me to do some other things I'm working on tonight. Tomorrow is an early day, if at all, and Friday is pretty much a no-go for me. But Saturday is a probable and Sunday is usually pretty open for me.
    edited February 2009
    I should be home all day Friday I should be off and on on the wii througout the day and Friday night if anybody wants to jam look me up.
  • PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Heya folks,

Back home from the hospital.
    Things went much better than even I had hoped.
    To the point that I think I can still play drums.
    Of course there is absolutely no way I can test that theory with my wife babysitting me over the next couple of days... but I should be able to test things out by Monday or so.
    edited February 2009
    Glad to hear it, PK! Although I think you really need to get your wife addicted to RB2 so she'll want to play as well. ;)
    edited February 2009
    welcome back PK, great news...what about sending your wife shopping? Z, I've tried and tried to get my wife to play, no dice, some people just don't get it. in her defense, she's never been a gamer (other than Ms Pac Man). My experience has been that people that don't sing (even if it's just in the car or wherever) aren't real keen on the whole plastic instrument genre. I notice them when we have parties, they never sing and aren't really into playing guitar or drums either, it's just what everyone else is doing. They just don't have the music inside needing to get out. It makes me sad.
    edited February 2009
    I think you are right Megatron...if the people don't have the music in them from the get go, they won't find any entertainment in the game. Although, have the wives even tried it? I have been a video game participator since my sons bugged me for them in the eighties..smile. Maybe having sons helped, I don't know. I just love to have fun and will try anything. I hope the wives try it! or maybe we can start the "wives band" and see what happens? I am up for it if they want to try!

I will be around for anyone to invite tonight, tomorrow on and off all day, early and late Saturday, and half of Sunday...just add me and let me know your code if you are new here.

Very glad to hear all went well for you PK! hope we can get some songs done when you feel up to it, although I play the drums and if I see your invite I will switch to something else.

:)
    edited February 2009
    she plays at parties & with me on occasion, she's a med/hard guitarist but won't sing. i have a few other friends that refuse to sing as well and they generally poo poo the whole thing. they also try their best to hustle us into a poker game asap. meanwhile, nobody has more fun than when they're singing, especially if they actually can sing. i mostly play guitar but enjoy singing songs i know, you gotta get into it & "own the stage".
    edited February 2009
    I won't be on tonight (I'm off in just a minute to choir practice), but yeah singing is a blast for me. Sometimes I get a bit carried away and screw up when I shouldn't, but oh well. It's just a blast to do. Although some of the guitar solos are just like when I air guitar the darned things, like in GH:WT on Crazy Train... it's a royal pain even just on Medium, but it is a blast. I'll kick in overdrive on some of those songs left and right because I just start jammin' and don't bother worrying about where the controller is positioned!

Ok, that was probably too much information... I think I'll go now...
    edited February 2009
    megatron;1918716 said:
    welcome back PK, great news...what about sending your wife shopping? Z, I've tried and tried to get my wife to play, no dice, some people just don't get it. in her defense, she's never been a gamer (other than Ms Pac Man). My experience has been that people that don't sing (even if it's just in the car or wherever) aren't real keen on the whole plastic instrument genre. I notice them when we have parties, they never sing and aren't really into playing guitar or drums either, it's just what everyone else is doing. They just don't have the music inside needing to get out. It makes me sad.
    My wife always says she doesn't want to play , but it only takes sitting her down and playing one song for her to want to play more. It's just getting to that point that's rough. She likes playing the drums and singing. With the new baby she's pre-occupied.
    edited February 2009
    My wife just isn't much of a music person.
    Every once in a while she'll join in, but she just isn't into music at all really.
    I created her a little avatar, and she likes changing the outfits. The most success I've had getting her to play is when she realized she needed to play to get money to buy new outfits.
    Scary how close that mirrors real life.

Tested the hip out a bit today.
    Still a bit too early for drums.
    Going to try it out again in a few days.
    edited February 2009
    I need a break for dinner, and my guitar controller is acting up pretty badly again (I have that replacement stummer on order!) So I was doing very terribly, sorry about that guys. :( I did need to get off the mic for a bit, though, anyway so it was still a nice change of pace. Thanks for putting up with me there.

BTW, this was the first time I had seen the vocals in band mode when the vocalist was not someone in the room with me. OMG! It's almost impossible to tell when they kick OD and, worse, you can't even see where the spots are when they can kick it off, so there are ZERO clues you can go on. It seems to me everyone just needs to key off of the drums, when all is said and done (unless you're in the same room as the vocalist, maybe). Trying to see what the heck is going on there is just terrible.

BTW, sorry if it seemed like I was kicking OD a little early on some of those, but I have a theory that it's better to kick off OD if you are full and you see an energy streak coming up, than it is to hold it and waste the streak adding up for you. Was that screwing anyone up when I did that?

Oh, and nice costumes. ;) I see that, considering the time of the year, I'm going to have to go full out Mardi Gras on you guys!
    edited February 2009
    No, you didnt hold anyone up. I had Brett singing over here so I could help him kick in to overdrive and yes, it is very hard to tell when the vocals can do OD when they arent in the room with you. I think the words of the song turn yellow when it can be done, so I watch for that...maybe that isnt true, but it seems to correlate when it is time for the vocals to use OD. Of course, with some songs its just enough for me to watch what I have to play on the drums..grin! So I wait til my peripheral vision picks up the flashing bars and follow suit the best I can.

I was just watching Pub kick in the OD today...lol...that is when I wasn't distracted..ahem!

And Vixen is sure a cutie!

smile...was so much fun! thank you for the jam and we are breaking for dinner too.

LOVED the deer outfit Zarlor!! We should have played TREES when you had that on..lol.

:D
    edited February 2009
    I thought the yellow phrases on vocals was just for the energy phrases, where the vocalist can get energy with an Awesome result on the phrase. But maybe you're right. I wish it showed the normal highway view like it does for the vocalist.

As for Vixen, I have 3 female characters for the band because, frankly, I enjoy seeing cute women playing in my band. ;) I usually pick them when not doing vocals.
    edited February 2009
    That was a lot of fun.
    Hope you folks didn't mind my band name... that's a newly created "just messing around for kicks" band I'm using while I'm recovering from surgery.

As for the vocalist kicking OD... there is kind of a "lightning" sound I listen for when it's just Z and I playing... that tells me he triggered OD and I don't have to look up at the multiplier. If I take my eyes off my note chart, I tend to miss stuff.

Sorry I had to go... I can only do short bursts right now (just can't sit for that long)... but I was really enjoying that while it lasted.
  • sanjuro23sanjuro23 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Hello all. I've been wanting to hook up with people in this group for some time but my account on this site went crazy and I've been locked out for a month. Also I needed to finish unlocking all the songs. Anyhow, I hope to be online about 9pm Pacific time if someone wants to play. I'm a noob to playing the Wii online as a caveat.
    edited February 2009
    Being new isn't a problem, sanjuro23, I'll add you in tomorrow on my friends list.

Everyone else... wow, there was a full house tonight! I was getting invites almost constantly. Thanks all! And megatron, that was quite a group you had going there for a bit, everyone running on expert! Pretty cool. Of course the very first set would have to have Tangled Up in Blue (one of the most annoying songs on the setlist for me) and Mountain Song (which I'm so frustratingly inconsistent on). Sorry I had to run right after that set.

PK mentioned a new band name and that got me to wondering. What band(s) does everyone here have? And, more importantly, why'd you pick that name?

I guess I'll kick it off, I have but one band set up, Electro Hog. The name comes from the fact that fairly recently a bought an all-electric maxi-scooter (really, a step-though design motorcycle). So the folks at the office started telling me I needed to get a tatted up and get some kind of gang emroidery on my leather jacket. And thus the name Electro Hog as a name for that gang was born. Once I got RB2 & GH:WT and such, I thought it would work pretty good as a band name while I was at it and that, as they say, is that.

What about the rest of you?
    edited February 2009
    I have "Free Beer Tomorrow" - which I guess is my 'main' band. It's from the old joke neon signs you may have seen in bars in the past.

My other band that I just started is "Eric's Tile Dysfunction". I started it up to get a fresh slate of challenges, etc, to learn hard bass while I'm recovering post-surgery and can't sit at the drum set.

So the idea was basically that Free Beer Tomorrow would be my hard drums band, and Eric's Tile Dysfunction would be my hard bass band. When I move to expert drums, I'll probably make a new band for that. That's a habit I got from the Solo career in RB1.
    I had one band for drums, one for guitar/bass, one for vocals, and one for a 'full' band.
    edited February 2009
    Well My bands name "Artsy Fartsy" is kind of a joke that me and my wife came up with when we started rock band 2. It kind of goes back to an inside college joke that is only funny to the both of us. As for game play there where a bunch of people on I was sending out invites like the mailman delivering christmas presents on the 24th! When I did get an invite I could never get in the practice room fast enough I guess. But I will keep trying. Megatron I hope you did not get annoyed with my constant invites but Zarlor said you where in a full expert band and with out a drummer so i was trying to get in on that also. I know I told you already Z, but that get up you had on was awesome! Man You sure commanded attention on stage with that thing on!!!
  • sanjuro23sanjuro23 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    My band is GOP, which is a band I played guitar for in college. I made characters for my old bandmates.
    edited February 2009
    Brett picked Friends of the Family, I guess for lack of a better title at the last minute..smile.

I am sure I will come up with something cool for the "girl" band...

Megatron, we were going back and forth with the invites tonight, sorry about that. Brett and I was switching off on singing and drums tonight.
    edited February 2009
    PK, you didn't explain where the name "Eric's Tile Dysfunction" comes from, though. Some friends of mine said that if they ever had a band they would just name it "Free Beer", that way all of their signs would say "Free beer at *wherever* tonight!" Figuring they'd get more people into the place, even if they were pissed that it was just a band name and not actually free beer. ;)
    edited February 2009
    Eric's Tile Dysfunction is something that struck me as humourous whilst on prescription painkillers.
    Eric's Tile = Erectile.
    And the name combined with the logo of the bikini clad girl on the phallic rocket, struck me as hilarious.
    I also thought it was a good name for an "old man band" based group