The Old Man Band (Players Over 30)

Comments

• 5ivewire5ivewire Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    i started out naming the band "Friends of P" (based on a song title by "the Rentals" + 1st initial of my last name is P). I deleted, restarted my info on the game/website a few different times - so when i went to play online tour, it said the band name was already taken, so i updated it to be called "Friends of the Family" for no special reason. i had started another band/character named after my website, but deleted them, just in case HMX may think it was against "the rules" of advertising or something.
  • megatronmegatron Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Hope you're ready for some rush Z, you're going to need all your platinum vocal skills! You can take a break during YYZ.

Tom Sawyer (Original Version)
    Red Barchetta
    YYZ
    Limelight (Original Version)
    The Camera Eye
    Witch Hunt
    Vital Signs

Our band "Rents" is short for parents. My wife set it up when we first played RB1 with our friends. It was originally "The Rents" but that was already taken in RB2.

Also, I may be alone on this but how come in all the discussions on what bands/acts are missing from RB, Elvis is never included. I'm not a big Elvis (much more of a Beatles) fan but you can't deny the historical significance. Plus, they'd be fun as hell to sing.
  • PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    ok... I can definitely play drums again... as long as my wife isn't around to see it =)
    I need to take a quick 5 min break about every 30-45 minutes, just to get up and stretch... but it's going surprisingly well.
    Fortunately my significant other is going away on Wednesday for work and not coming back until Saturday... so I will be looking to make up for lost time.

And yes, I will be getting all the Rush songs.
    All I need now is a bit more of The Who, and the Foo Fighters... and I will be perfectly content until Pearl Jam's "Ten" comes out.
    I hope to hells highway that by that time (March) they have the Wii on the same new release schedule as the other consoles.
  • zarlorzarlor Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Rush! Sweeeeeetttness!!!!!

As for Elvis... it seems they went for more Rock associated with the '70s (more than a few are from the '60s, but get associated more with the '70s, like Pinball Wizard or any of Black Sabbath) moreso than the earlier rock of the '50s or '60s (although GH:WT definitely runs more forays into the '60s, but aiming for the harder rock of The Doors and Jimmi Hendrix, it seems. In that context I think that Elvis doesn't really fit in as much. But it sounded like once HMX goes through more of the modern rock collection that they wanted to branch out eventually, possibly even including Country and such, so early Rock may well fit into that as well. Another possibility might be what is available in seperated tracks. It was pretty standard to record seperate tracks for each instrument starting in the late '60, I think, but I though the practice in the '50 was still more to record as an ensemble. So maybe getting isolated tracks for earlier stuff is just harder to get whcih means more work or even "covering" at least parts of the tunes. I know one of the big complaints with GH especially has been some of their use of covers instead of getting the real artists.
    edited February 2009
    zarlor;1937155 said:
    I know one of the big complaints with GH especially has been some of their use of covers instead of getting the real artists.
    I didn't even consider "Gimmie All Your Lovin" becasue of that last week.

I think everyone does some form of an Elvis impersonation, me I prefer old/fat Elvis, so I just was thinking it's strange I've never heard his name come up. I'd love to see more Doors or Zeppelin (but with Plant getting over at the Grammy's last night that timeframe probably just got pushed back again) but Elvis still has a huge fan base, I would think his fans would make a push.

Speaking of band-centric titles, I recently looked up the set list for GH: Metallica and I guess I need an explination...Ace of Spades, again? Is there a law that it has to be in every rhythm game ever made? What is this, its 4th appearance? Can we get something else from the Motorhead catalog?
  • ennis1437ennis1437 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    YEEEES!!! RUSH!!! I am getting without a doubt YYZ and of coarse Tom Sawyer. Looking forward to rocking some new dlc with you guys!! Sorry about the quick set disconnect the other day PK, Zarlor got booted off and We could not get back on. I had Family just pop in.
  • jepjr13jepjr13 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    What's happening? I play solid med Guitar/bass I'm usually on after 8pm EST.
    just message me if you add me
    edited February 2009
    jepjr13 - what's your 'in-game' name?
    I find I've got so many people in my friends list now that I've lost track of who is who.
    I'm trying to figure out if I've added you or not already.
    edited February 2009
    Hrm.
    well... this is kind of a good news/bad news/good news situation.

Good news #1: I've overcome my last two hard song obstacles: Battery and Panic Attack.
    I kept trying Panic Attack and was getting frustrated, so I took a shot at Battery and just about 5 starred it.
    Went back to Panic Attack and passed it.
    So that makes Panic Attack and Ace of Spades 3 star passes.
    Everything else is 4 star + on hard.

Bad news: broke my bass pedal in the process.
    So for the time being I have it reinforced on top and bottom with hard plastic putty knives... and lots of duct tape.
    Not sure how it will work, but hopefully it will make do as a temporary solution until good news #2 comes through

Good news #2: Used this as an excuse to order a Rock Pedal. Hopefully should get here within the next few days.

So I'm going to test out ghetto pedal and see how it performs.
    Maybe tackle ESL2 on hard drums tomorrow.

If anyone is around Wed/Thurs/Fri night, I would love to play... especially with a full band.
    Would be great to put up a big number on the That's Life band challenge.
    edited February 2009
    PK, I'll be around. I have to stop playing Tiger Woods for a while, I'm 99% sure I've developed tendonitus in my elbow from playing too much over the last few days, true story. You can't do that with an xbox/ps3!
    edited February 2009
    ok, just finished ESL2 on hard drums.
    going to take a bit of a break, but then I'll be back at it.

wow... that is a freakin endurance test.
    Would have like to have done a bit better stars wise... but my concentration just went to crap around the 60 song mark.
    Failed Shoulder to the Plow three times, and I had never failed it before.
    I failed Panic Attack twice in a row, at 98% complete... and really thought I was going to cry.
    Failed Pump it Up when I lost a drumstick across the room during the outro.

Ironically, passed Visions the first time.
    And I was tracking my scores using that database thing I've linked in this thread before... and set 31 personal best individual scores.

ok... enough of me using this thread as a blog.

I'm going to have a beer, relax for a minute, and dive back in.
    edited February 2009
    I just got the BiteArts strum fix today (http://www.bytearts.com/strummer/index.html) thanks to advice from PubKnight. It's making a WORLD of difference for me. I'm much happier doing guitar/bass now. I may even be able to start working on the move to hard! (Or maybe not...) But at least when playing with Friends of the Family I can pick up guitar so you guys can get everyone over there up and running when I free up the vocals.

As for Tiger Woods, I just haven't been playing it lately, but yeah that's the nicest thing about the Wii are games like that. It sucks for such small memory, not-so-hot graphics, smaller processor, etc., but nobody else is working out motion controls, so they are the only game in town on that front, and when games utilize it right it hugely improves the whole gameplay experience. Plus it makes for a great party gaming machine when all is said and done.

If anyone was missing me, I've been a bit busy, but I should be on some tonight, but then I probably won't be on again until Sunday. The closer we get to Mardi Gras the less you'll likely see of me, too.
    edited February 2009
    Pubknight;1947586 said:
    [snip]
    Failed Pump it Up when I lost a drumstick across the room during the outro.

:D I do that all the time! That's probably why I'm lucky to even play anything on Medium drums.:eek:
    edited February 2009
    yeah,Pubknight got you as a friend...screen name is Jammer
    edited February 2009
    zarlor;1947611 said:
    As for Tiger Woods, I just haven't been playing it lately, but yeah that's the nicest thing about the Wii are games like that. It sucks for such small memory, not-so-hot graphics, smaller processor, etc., but nobody else is working out motion controls, so they are the only game in town on that front, and when games utilize it right it hugely improves the whole gameplay experience. Plus it makes for a great party gaming machine when all is said and done.
    The wii controls still allow for alot of human errors. Chip shots are very touch & go. There's only so much challenge you can put into a bar/percentage swing simulator. After a while, everyones crushing 340 yard drives & shooting -18/round.
    edited February 2009
    Z, don't know if you're going to look here or not.
    What I would suggest is we use your band, Electro Hogs, and try that same battle of the bands.
    Adding a guitarist/bassist, we should be able to put up a bit number.

Jammer, Mega... are you guys around... like... now?
    edited February 2009
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the session jepjr13.
    Sorry I had to bail... I'm just bagged after that endless setlist thing.
    screwing up all over the place.

I'll be back around tomorrow night for sure.
    I don't think Z is around tomorrow, but it would be great if we could assemble a full band for the That's Life battle of the bands before it runs out.
    edited February 2009
    same bat time,same bat channel?
    edited February 2009
    Yeah... probably even earlier... so I can play online with other folks longer.
    edited February 2009
    Oops, I fogot to check my emails. Oh well. Jammer, sorry I missed you. I got your invite as I was finishing up a song, but by the time I tried to join you'd already gone on. Sounds like I missed both you AND PubKnight. :( I sent an invite to let you know I was back available, but I guess you guys were already on a set. At least I got to show off the "knight" outfit for Candy and 5ivewire. ;) Expect more, especially with Mardi Gras around the corner! Too bad it's hard to get a decent looking Purple and Green on a lot of those outfits, at least Gold usually looks fine.

As for tomorrow, I have choir practice, but I can try to get on between, say, 4:30-6:30 CST. I mgith be able to get in a little earlier and stay a little later, but that's about the best I can do for tomorrow. Other then that I likely won't be on again until Sunday (although it's usually pretty quiet on Sundays, although if last Saturday night was any indication it's mighty lively around here then! Too bad I'll miss it.)
  • ennis1437ennis1437 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Jammer, I will add you my screen name is v and Friend code is 1231 9780 1922. I play hard/ expert drums. and pretty solid medium guitar
  • Candy442Candy442 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    wow...we got to the very end of the five song set and our internet went out!!! I am so afraid to even try the ESL because of that! Sorry about that Z! nothing more frustrating than that. We have a couple of calls in to the company about the problem, hope it can be fixed. I was surprised I was doing so well on Hard "Trees". No guts no glory, right? oh well
    Don't give up on us guys!
    edited February 2009
    No worries, it happens. As for the ESL2, I would never do it with an online group anyway. If you want to do it just do it locally. Even with a rock solid connection I wouldn't do that thing online.
    edited February 2009
    Candy442;1912201 said:
    Get well soon Pub! I have not seen you on our friends list yet. I do have my FC posted on my signature. Now that you will be playing Bass, we will be happy to include you in when you are up to it. Well, even if you arent...lol, it won't matter to us!. Sometimes it just helps to ease the pain to concentrate on something else.
    Hi Candy,
    I'm sorry, I thought I had added you ages ago.
    I tried to enter you just now with the FC from your sig: 2477 5185 1681
    But it's telling me it's invalid.
    Is that the right code? Or am I just mildly stupid with respect to inputting it? (my disclaimer is I am on some pretty sweet painkillers at the moment)
    I'll try it again right now.
    edited February 2009
    Thopse are the numbers I have for them on my friend's listing. You may be entering wrong, unless you really do already have it in? Their name on the friends list is Xero.
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I'm freaking stupid (I'm going to blame the painkillers)
    I already had her in there... the post I quoted was from a long time ago.
    Apparently if you have someone in your friends list and try to re-add them, it doesn't give you a handy message like, "That person is already in your friends list"... it tells you "That friend code is invalid". That's So Helpful!

You done for the night Z?
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I'm off to choir practice. Thanks for the gig all! I MIGHT be able to fit in an hour tomorrow to try that battle again, but that's about it. After that I probably won't be on until Sunday.
    edited February 2009
    Seriously... with a full band, we will kill that Battle.
    *just* about had the full band tonight, but bostondrummer had to bail.
    edited February 2009
    Candy, when you guys are online (Xero is you, right), what gaps are typically in your band?
    I know you're a drummer as well... but in order to play together, I could switch out drums for bass. I'm not great on bass... just testing the waters with Hard... but medium wise I'm always in that 95-99% range.