The Old Man Band (Players Over 30)

Billy_PilgrimBilly_Pilgrim Unsigned
edited August 2013 in Nintendo Wii
Any one else playing Rock Band 2 on the Wii that's around 30 or so? If so, let's start the Old Man Band (sorry, youngins!). I play all instruments on hard/expert, but generally drum. I'd rather play for fun than any sort of competition. Want in? Just drop me a PM and let's get to rocking.

Alternatively, view this post for a comprehensive list of friend codes:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2168398&postcount=590

Comments

• zarlorzarlor Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    I'm back from vacation, so I'll add Misguided Girl in and maybe get on tonight. I should be on tomorrow if nothing else.

As for techniques for playing on hard, the big one I've heard used most is to slide the hand down so your normal position is with your pinkie on orange, and whenever green pops us get used to moving just your index finger out to hit it. I know some folks try the opposite and stay with index on green in the usual position for medium and then train their pinkie to just move out to orange, but that's probably a lot harder for most folks.

I've also heard, particularly for folks going to expert, that they will do something like use C-Clamps to hold the quitar down on a table, even going to the point of using their elbow to strum so they can use the fingers of both hands on the buttons (I think this is only used mainly in sections with a lot of HO/POs (Hammer-ons/Pull-Offs). I've never tried it. So far I've been working on the pinkie technique myself, but I'm nowhere near getting it down. I've mostly ended up sliding my hand between the two positions, but that works very poorly on some songs. I may try the thumb thing, though. It wouldn't work with a Guitar Hero controller, but it could work with with the Rock Band ones... hmmm..
  • MisguidedGirlMisguidedGirl Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Zarlor, I've tried to make the move to hard many times. So far, I haven't been very successful. Re-training my brain so it associates my index finger with red & so forth is going to take some time. I tried stretching my pinky, but my hands are too small. :mad: For me, it's going to be about remembering two separate hand positions. One for the green, red, etc. postion & one for the red, yellow, etc position.

Pubknight, you did good playing hard on bass last nite. You didn't even get booed out. I would've brought you back if you had though. :D

I had a lot of fun playing online last nite. Although many of the songs we played, I had heard but never sang. I'm sure that was obvious with a few of my scores. :eek: I think I only got one percentage that was out of the 90's though & it was a song I'd never heard before. Thanks for the game guys.

I think I've added everyone who has posted their FC's in this thread. If I've overlooked anyone, feel free to pm me.:D
  • PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    MisguidedGirl;1788373 said:
    Although many of the songs we played, I had heard but never sang. I'm sure that was obvious with a few of my scores. :eek:
    I thought you did a great job.

I've been looking for folks all day to play with (have the house to myself), but it's been tough finding folks.
  • AKWanbliAKWanbli Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    46 years young here! Just started playing abot 6 months ago.....always wanted to play the drums but too busy and in my younger years, in my mothers immoral words...(you can play any instrument you want except for THE DRUMS)

Went out and purchased a Roland HD elec drum set just before the holidays.....Lov'in RB2 and my new drums ever since!!

Lookin forward to playing with you all!

AKWanbli
    FC: 157557527787
    edited January 2009
    Pub, we might be on later. We have to play in a GHWT tourney first though. If my hubby plays, he'll sing. Do you usually prefer guitar, bass, or drums?

AKWanbli, I'll get you added! :)
  • AKWanbliAKWanbli Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    edited January 2009
    MisguidedGirl;1788805 said:
    Pub, we might be on later. We have to play in a GHWT tourney first though. If my hubby plays, he'll sing. Do you usually prefer guitar, bass, or drums?

AKWanbli, I'll get you added! :)
    Drums is my preference, but if someone else is doing it, no biggy... I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing.
    Plus, there are a lot of times I just can't play drums, because of the noise factor in the house... so a lot of times I'll log on with just the guitar just to mess around a bit. (which is why I generally stick to medium on the guitar/bass... I have no real interest in getting much better at it... any 'practicing' I do is to get better on drums).

I'm not around tonight unfortunately, we're out for dinner... that's why I was trying to get my rock band fix in basically all day.

I'm sure we'll link up again soon though.

And AKWanbli, I'll add you next time I fire up the console =)
  • LockheedLockheed Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Where'd my- people-- go---?
    edited January 2009
    I'll probably be on today/tonight. I need a vacation from my vacation so I have no plans on doing anything other than relaxing with some DVDs or Rock Band 2 today. :)
  • Kev2380Kev2380 Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    I'll probably be on too, before the football games start. I changed my profile so now it shows as Kev2380. My band name is Ocotillo.
    edited January 2009
    I might be on today until 3:45 (central time).
    edited January 2009
    Any of you folks going to be on this evening (Jan 13th)?
    I'll likely be on from around 6pm - 10pm Eastern time. I'll have the drums out since wifey is out with work folks tonight.

If anyones around, interested in helping me blow through some challenges?
  • CherkovCherkov Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Pubknight;1800275 said:
    Any of you folks going to be on this evening (Jan 13th)?
    I'll likely be on from around 6pm - 10pm Eastern time. I'll have the drums out since wifey is out with work folks tonight.

If anyones around, interested in helping me blow through some challenges?
    I'll be on after 8pm est. I can handle guitar or bass.
    edited January 2009
    Count me in. I should be on after 6pm CST until whenever (although I usually hit the sack around 10pm CST.) My preference is for vocals, but I'll do whatever you need. Just send me an invite if you see me on!
    edited January 2009
    Good playing with you tnoight, PubKnight. I know we completely missed each other on Overdrive on "Living on a Prayer" but the optimal Overdrive path on that one is a bit odd and it's a bit tight on the vocals side for when you can do it. Sorry if that seemed a little frustrating when I hit OD just as soon as I got it the first few times and then held onto it later. Some songs just work that way. ;)

I still need to get better on "Alive" by Pearl Jam. That sucker has quite a few little improvisations on the vocal line that I still need to get down. Great work on the drums, man! If you need me for challenges or tours or whatever and you see me on, just send that invite (hopefully I'll see it a little sooner next time. ;))
    edited January 2009
    zarlor;1803720 said:
    Good playing with you tnoight, PubKnight. I know we completely missed each other on Overdrive on "Living on a Prayer" but the optimal Overdrive path on that one is a bit odd and it's a bit tight on the vocals side for when you can do it. Sorry if that seemed a little frustrating when I hit OD just as soon as I got it the first few times and then held onto it later. Some songs just work that way. ;)

I still need to get better on "Alive" by Pearl Jam. That sucker has quite a few little improvisations on the vocal line that I still need to get down. Great work on the drums, man! If you need me for challenges or tours or whatever and you see me on, just send that invite (hopefully I'll see it a little sooner next time. ;))
    That was great, thanks so much for knocking those out with me.
    I have a tendency after a challenge or a tour venue to go back to the Practice Space, so if a person wants to go, they can go guilt-free.
    I'm glad you stuck around though... unbelievable job on vocals.

On the overdrive thing, no worries... that was my first time playing with just a vocalist, and I have NO idea on vocals... so I don't know where your overdrive paths are, when you can trigger them, etc.
    Plus, if I look up at your bar, I'll for sure lose my place.
    So I was basically going with: if you trigger, I'll trigger as soon as I can. Unless I am full, then I'll trigger to avoid wasting any.

I thought we did ok though.
    I only recently graduated to hard drums, so a couple of those were sight reads for hard for me, like Pinball Wizard... I'm sure you could tell.

For everyone in the thread, what is your folks take on the DLC, are you planning on gettting any/some/most?

I picked up the 20 free songs, and I believe 18/30 paid songs.
    I'm probably going to get a bit more selective as the back catalogue is released... but it will depend on what's there.
    edited January 2009
    I expect to pick up the freebies, then probably just songs I like from then on. I didn't even check today to see that there we had DLC now! Sweet!

Vocals is a bit of a toughie on the overdrive front. You're more limited than any other instrument on when you can hit it, but at the same time you probably have a little extra freedom to let your eyes wander to all the other parts and see if anyone is getting full and such. So in some ways either the vocalist or the drummer has to be the one to cue everyone else to kick off OD, it seems to me. I try to watch drummers when they go into the freeform section to see if they are hitting anything there (so if you play around without intending to go into OD you might fool me into going into OD anyway). Sometimes the only opportunity to OD on vocals will be in concert with when the drums are in freeform, but it will be too late once the drummer actually hits that green pad to do it. So if I see drumming happening in the freeform I take that as a cue from the drummer that they are going to hit it. Although at least drummers do have a moment to see what others are doing during those freeform sections if they aren't going to hit OD (or want to check around before doing so) so there is a little freedom on that side, I suppose.

I also think that OD for the vocals is not very noticeable at all. It just kind of flashes a bit on the outer lines, not like the other parts where you get that golden section on your highway that really stand out to everyone. Golden sections for vocalists means that is when you can hit your overdrive, not that you are in it. So I normally try to cue off of other folks for when to go. Some songs, though, you're just stuck. That Red Hot Chili Peppers one, for example, has only 2 spots you can really hit OD and that's it. So not much room to join up with the rest of the band on that one, unless they know where the vocalist is going to hit it.

Not that any of that REALLY matters, as long as it's fun!

Oh as for going to the practice space, that's not a bad idea. I actually thought you were going back there to see if anyone else was on to send them an invite. It's otherwise hard to tell that other folks might be on. (I didn't even see your first invite while I was trying to improve my scores on some of the band challenges until I took a break to check.)
    edited January 2009
    I think something might be wrong with my friends list, I looked for you guys online last night but didn't see you on. I think something is screwed with my band info in general. I had unlocked everything, and I wanted to change my main name from Hoodlum to Kev2380, so you'd know who I was. I totally screwed myself. I unlinked after deleting the band data, now I can't link up to the server anymore. I don't know if that's effecting my friends list too, have you guys seen me online?
  • CherkovCherkov Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    @Kev2380: You are still on my friend list as Hoodlum. I could try deleting you then putting your friend code in again to see what happens. What do you think?

As far as the DLC goes, I was pleasantly surprised to see it come online last night. I just ordered a Kingston 2 gig SD card from Newegg for $4.50 with free shipping. Probably should have got more than one, but we'll see how much can be loaded on this one first. Right now, I don't have the cash to be buying a ton of new songs, so I'll stick with the freebies for now and pick and choose favorites as I go.
    edited January 2009
    Kev2380;1805277 said:
    I think something might be wrong with my friends list, I looked for you guys online last night but didn't see you on. I think something is screwed with my band info in general. I had unlocked everything, and I wanted to change my main name from Hoodlum to Kev2380, so you'd know who I was. I totally screwed myself. I unlinked after deleting the band data, now I can't link up to the server anymore. I don't know if that's effecting my friends list too, have you guys seen me online?
    You are still in my list as Hoodlum as well.
    And I haven't seen you online at all.
    I was on from about 7:30 - 10pm est last night, and checked a couple of times.
    edited January 2009
    Cherkov;1805717 said:
    @Kev2380: You are still on my friend list as Hoodlum. I could try deleting you then putting your friend code in again to see what happens. What do you think?

As far as the DLC goes, I was pleasantly surprised to see it come online last night. I just ordered a Kingston 2 gig SD card from Newegg for $4.50 with free shipping. Probably should have got more than one, but we'll see how much can be loaded on this one first. Right now, I don't have the cash to be buying a ton of new songs, so I'll stick with the freebies for now and pick and choose favorites as I go.
    Yeah try deleting me from you friends list then adding me again. I deleted the hoodlum info off my Wii. So far on the new stuff, I've downloaded most of the free songs and bought Snow and Call Me.
    edited January 2009
    I didn't see you on last night, either. I've removed you as a friend, then added the FC back in. So now my pending list shows "Lockheed" "DM" and... "Hoodlum"... hmmm... well you can try to add mine back in on your list and see if it comes through at least. Or maybe you'll need to change it back. Or maybe you'll just need to get Harmonix Tech Support involved and see if they can help out on the best way to fix it up.

As for DLC, I just got a bunch of them, I'm almost embarrased to say. (I mean 2 bucks for songs I probably already paid for several times in the past and that I can't put on my MP3 player.) But, at any rate, I've probably got plenty of extra song to play around with if other folks have the same ones. Chances are pretty good, though. I still can't believe I just spent over $30 just for those... ;)
    edited January 2009
    Oh, I should mention here, if any of you folks see me online Saturday night... don't invite me... for your own good.

We're having a poker night here with some other couples we hang out with, and they will be bringing their kids over.
    The kids will likely be playing on the Wii, and will likely be playing Rock Band.
    They are great kids... just not very talented plastic musicians =)
    edited January 2009
    When I changed my data, my friend code changed as well.
    FC-1103-1301-1383
    edited January 2009
    Looks like that worked with the new FC. So hopefully I'll be on tomorrow night some and probably Sunday so if you want to knowck out some challenges, or tours or one of those Battle of the Bands, just send me an invite and I'll be happy to hook up and go!
    edited January 2009
    Kev2380;1812277 said:
    When I changed my data, my friend code changed as well.
    FC-1103-1301-1383
    I'll delete the old one and re-add you tonight.
    edited January 2009
    Hey, PubKnight, not sure if this is useful to you, but I did run across these:

http://rockband.yajags.com/drumstats/ for drum paths and
    http://rockband.yajags.com/pathstats/ for band paths, but that last is a bit hard to decipher for me, anyway.
    edited January 2009
    Thanks, I've seen the drumstats one before... I'm not quite 100% with my understanding of it though.
    And yeah, that band path thing... so very very far over my head.
    edited January 2009
    It was fun playing with you guys, pubknight did you leave on purpose? Or did you get too much lag and got disconnected. Zarlor, I don't how you can play those songs on expert. Good Job! I couldn't play long, my wife is having contractions while I was playing. We're waiting for them to get close enough so we can go to the hospital.
    edited January 2009
    Sorry on that last set, Kev. That was getting a bit frustrating for me trying to figure out when I shoudl OD. I think I need to really just try to generaly follow the vocalist OD paths, because all to often if I miss them I might get trapped with spots where I can't go. Plus on a few songs I started doing that and just missed a couple of crucial spots (I missed on the the OD phrases I needed to hit in Alive and on Down With the Sickness, love that song, I tried to squeeze kicking in that lost OD too much and I missed getting it off. Grrr.... For those who don't know what squeeze means, on the vocal line it's when you have that golden OD section and you try to wait until the very last second to activate it to get the most time you can out of it. At any rate, there were just a ton of songs I was getting 99% on because of just barely missing 1 phrase in the song. I hate when that happens and it probably just makes me keep missing 100% on other songs I know through sheer frustration. ;) Ah well. Good jam anyway!

No problem for the play length. Babies take priority! Here's wishing you a healthy delivery!