The Old Man Band (Players Over 30)

Comments

• Kev2380Kev2380 Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Anyone have any word on the new DLC for the Wii.
  • zarlorzarlor Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Nothing yet. It should show up in this thread: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122185 sometime today, I would think.
    edited February 2009
    I don't get why it takes them so long.... I'm hoping it's something other than stuff from the 70's. I like that stuff but I'm ready for some newer songs. I could take some No Doubt.
  • PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I'm hoping for Foo Fighters.
    No Doubt would be interesting to shake things up a bit.

Jagged Gorgeous Winter in a challenge?
    Ugh. That's not an auto-5 star. White Wedding is close to a 6 star if they do it by star count rating... but we'll have to see.
    I may not get the chance to fire up the Wii until tomorrow... how long does the challenge run for, do you know off hand?

OH! Exciting News! Pedal update. (ok... well... exciting for me).
    My pedal left Florida at 11:44pm on the 14th.
    Of course, it doesn't tell me how it left Florida (truck, plane, dolphin), but at least its on its way. Today is a holiday here with no mail service... so I'm hoping for it to arrive tomorrow.
    edited February 2009
    Kev2380;1968319 said:
    Hey Zarlor, I sent you about 5-6 invites last night, you never got them? I also sent GX3 some, he sent me ones too but for some reason I can't join his sessions.
    I think Mega (GX3) tends to invite, then drop his session, looking for an invite back if you are interested.
    More and more people seem to be doing that, because no one wants to pick the songs... but the problem is, if everyone keeps doing that, there is never a session to actually join.

Oh, and Z, I figured out what that other gold star was with Lockheed the other day: Live Forever by Oasis, and I Was Wrong by Social Distortion.
    edited February 2009
    Sorry for freakin blogging in this thread, but how many people do you all have in your friends lists?

I got caught up a bit in some of the craziness of the Rock Band Wii Discussion thread (which has more or less evolved into a chatroom), and added a whack of people that I have yet to ever play a single session with.
    I'm thinking I should favour the smaller "quality" friends list over the larger "quantity" friends list... and maybe do a purge of my pendings, and people I have never played with.

Do you all have a method at all for your friends lists?
    edited February 2009
    Pubknight;1968542 said:
    Sorry for freakin blogging in this thread, but how many people do you all have in your friends lists?

I got caught up a bit in some of the craziness of the Rock Band Wii Discussion thread (which has more or less evolved into a chatroom), and added a whack of people that I have yet to ever play a single session with.
    I'm thinking I should favour the smaller "quality" friends list over the larger "quantity" friends list... and maybe do a purge of my pendings, and people I have never played with.

Do you all have a method at all for your friends lists?

I did the same thing, when I first got RB2, I went to the forum and looked at the add me thread. I had a bunch of people as freinds but hardly ever caught up with them online. This group has been the most consistent. So I've removed everyone except for the people in this thread and a few select others.
    edited February 2009
    Pubknight;1968493 said:
    I think Mega (GX3) tends to invite, then drop his session, looking for an invite back if you are interested.
    More and more people seem to be doing that, because no one wants to pick the songs... but the problem is, if everyone keeps doing that, there is never a session to actually join.
    I got really pissed one time, because I ended a set with 2 other people I didn't know to join a session with GX3, lost 50,000fans, then I try to join and received, session is full or no longer in session. I was pretty irked. Took me awhile to find just 2 more people again.
  • megatronmegatron Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Pubknight;1968493 said:
    Yeah, I'm just sending an invite to see who's out there & what's available. Like PK said, I'm not a big fan of picking songs but I also have little kids and things happen where I have to get pulled away. I don't want the session to quit becasue I have to. Plus, I'm usaully playing solo guitar so my spot is easy to fill. I've started to be the leader a little more just because I get quite a few responses when I put out an invite & I've been able to get a full band together fairly quickly lately (see below).

As far as friends go, I probalbly have almost the same friends list from the current info form you do PK (25 or so total) I've played with probably 80% of the people there at one time or another, played with Lily Mu & a few others for the first time yesterday. My schedule is a little crazy so it's nice to have a big pond to fish from. I've found I usually have 4-8 friends on at any given time though who they are varies.
  • Candy442Candy442 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    We will be logged in on and off the entire day today...as homework, household chores, and etc dictate. I have today off..YAY.
    Brett and I only have you guys as our friends, so a very elite and choice wonderful list I must say!
    Hope to jam soon and I have no problem choosing the songs or being the leader since it's usually MY internet connection that fails...don't want to do that to your fan base guys...
    edited February 2009
    Kev2380;1968635 said:
    I got really pissed one time, because I ended a set with 2 other people I didn't know to join a session with GX3, lost 50,000fans, then I try to join and received, session is full or no longer in session. I was pretty irked. Took me awhile to find just 2 more people again.
    Kev, really sorry about that, I wish you would have sent me a PM or something & I would have stopped. So please don't quit a session if you see an invite from me, usually just means I'm available to play if anyones got a spot. I wish there was a better way to communicate, I'd say the % of invites I'm actually able to join is around 10% (either full or session is no longer available).

From now on, I'll stay in a session for a few minutes after I send out an invite. Again, sorry Kev, no hard feelings?
    edited February 2009
    I'll be on and off a bit today as well, but I plan to be on solid this evening. I'm kind of grabbing some information on the DLC songs I have and logging my scores and such so I can see where I need to improve the most, which means I'll be on but I may not respond to invites during the day.

PK, the battle is by score, not stars, no limits on level of play. I didn't see how long it was for but I think there is a place on the RB site that tells you about what battles are currently running and such so you can check them out when not on the game.

As for Friends, pretty much I have just everyone on this thread and my Sister's family (who are NEVER online these days, too many things like Soccer practice and such for her boys). I have probably 3 or 4 of the folks on the thread from early on who are all just pending (I think that includes the guy who originally started this thread!) I think the idea here as been to try and get some folks who don't care about levels and will try their hardest not to drop during a set unless due to a bad connection or it absolutely jsut can't be helped, which is why I also go back to the "matchmaking" screen after pretty much every set so folks can drop if they'd like without worrying about disrupting anything as well as to just see if anyone else is online to invite in. I don't do anything to really manage the list, though.

Candy, good luck on the ESL! I don't even want to think about looking at that monster on drums.
  • ryanco64ryanco64 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Young man posting in the Old Man Band section!!
    Nice to see people of your ages appreciating a good game. I know some people who don't play games at all...*coughRENTScough*.

Keep rocking dudes.
    edited February 2009
    Well, you young whipper-snapper, I been gamin' since the early days with things like Pong and the Atari and Intellivision. I even had a little computer called the Sinclair 2000 that had all of 2K of memory in it that I had to program my own games onto to play anything on it! Did I mention the walking 2 miles to school in the snow, and that it was uphill both ways? (The worst part of it, is that's also true, the last leg of my walk to and from high school were uphill and I lived in Littleton, Colorado at the time which is certainly a lot hillier than here in New Orleans.)
  • CherkovCherkov Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Same as Pub and Kev with the friends list. Added tons of people when I first got the game. I got a notebook full of friend codes, but this group is the one I play with the most. Never got around to really cleaning it up, but figured its nice to have a wide selection of friends to play with. My pending list needs to be gone through. That's for sure!

Hi ryanco64! Can't speak for the others on here, but I've been playing games since the I was at least 6. This is normal for me. My parents don't play either, but I found if you find a game that appeals to them, they are more likely to give it a shot. They wouldn't touch Grand Theft Auto, but get them a pinball game and they won't stop! My mom even likes to play Wii Sports with the grandkids on occassion. It's a riot!
    edited February 2009
    megatron;1968735 said:
    Kev, really sorry about that, I wish you would have sent me a PM or something & I would have stopped. So please don't quit a session if you see an invite from me, usually just means I'm available to play if anyones got a spot. I wish there was a better way to communicate, I'd say the % of invites I'm actually able to join is around 10% (either full or session is no longer available).

From now on, I'll stay in a session for a few minutes after I send out an invite. Again, sorry Kev, no hard feelings?
    No hard feelings at all, it's a gripe more about the game. I hate how there is no way to communicate other than sending someone a invite message. Did you guys post IM messenger tags? Or did we already go over this? My AIM one is k2e3v80, yahoo messenger is kfrank2380.
    edited February 2009
    zarlor;1968983 said:
    Well, you young whipper-snapper, I been gamin' since the early days with things like Pong and the Atari and Intellivision. I even had a little computer called the Sinclair 2000 that had all of 2K of memory in it that I had to program my own games onto to play anything on it! Did I mention the walking 2 miles to school in the snow, and that it was uphill both ways? (The worst part of it, is that's also true, the last leg of my walk to and from high school were uphill and I lived in Littleton, Colorado at the time which is certainly a lot hillier than here in New Orleans.)
    I gamed for almost the same ammount of time. I didn't have pong but did have the 2600 when it first came out. That was like the Wii today, adults were buying it for themselves not for kids. I've played coleco but never owned one, had a intellivision, NES, SNES, played Sega at a friends house enough that it was like I owned it. Playstation, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, Now the Wii. I can't imagine how much I've spent on this hobby. It has to be in the 50k range. Now I just have the Wii, I'm still waiting for them to release on VC the greatest football game of all time Tecmo Superbowl for the NES.

What was your favorite games? Rock band is probably the game I've enjoyed the most out of all the systems and games. That's tough to say remembering the sleep overs trying to beat the Legend of Zelda.
    edited February 2009
    Like everyone else, I've been playing games forever.
    Had the original Atari system.
    But I was more into the PC games post-school... actually played one called "Tribes" competitively. And odd little info tidbit - there was this semi e-famous thing involving World of Warcraft, with a video featuring a dude called Leeroy Jenkins. I was in the clan that made that video, Pals 4 Life.

But console wise, post-childhood the Wii has been it for me... and for me, Rock Band is the absolute peak of video game concept and execution. It's just about as perfect as it gets.

Yeah, some accommodations for in-game comms for Wii-users would have been nice... but maybe for RB3. Or for Wii2... which I shall call: WiiII
    edited February 2009
    Yep, my story is similar to the rest of you. Started on an Odyssey? basically a poor man's Atari. Got an NES & then a Genesis but I think we're leaving out that back then we also spent a lot of time in arcades. Most new games didn't come out on consoles until they were in the arcade for a few years and there was always HUGE drop off between the arcade & home version. Moved to PC gaming in '92 and hadn't even considered a console since until the Wii. I suspect a lot of the venom directed at the wii from Xbox & PS3 users is just a redirection of the heckling they've been taking from PC users for years (underpowered toy with various limitations). Never cared for that battle either but I know it exists.

Played most of what's come along but nothing's been as good as RB. NOTHING.
    edited February 2009
    That Leeroy Jenkins vid was hilarious! I've primarily been a PC gamer as well. I hadn't really bothered with a console until I'd tried my sister's Wii, but unfortunately the titles have been a bit thin. To be honest if RB2 had been available for the PC I would have gone that way in a heartbeat over playing it on the Wii.

As for the AIM thing, yeah we talked about that a bit. I don't really like using AIM, and besides I use the same screen for my PC and Wii (and all home theater stuff, really). So I'd have to keep flipping my projector over to check in, which doesn't take long, and I do it now to check email (if folks on this thread want it to communicate that way, just PM me). I could hook in a monitor, but I'd prefer not to. The easiest way for me would be to use something like TeamTalk, I even have my system set up as a server for that since I've used it occasionally with friends when playing on MMORPGS and such. That way we could just flat talk to each other if you really wanted. Folks who wanted to do that would just have to get a client at http://www.bearware.dk and I could provide details on connection and stuff through PMs. So if anyone wants to try that just let me know and I'll be happy to set my system up for it for you. (I don't have to be logged in myself for other folks to use it, so it's not a problem if folks want to use it when I'm not on, but they also have a public server in Denmark... so a slight bit of lag, but it's really not that bad and certainly accessible 24/7.)

Oh, on favorite games. I spent a hell of a lot of time on Pirates!, Sim City, Civilization and Dune II when those came out. But Red Baron 2 is one of my all time favorites, there just hasn't been a good WWI flight-sim/game like that ever since. Rock Band is also one of new all-time favorites. Lots of RPGs have been fun, particularly single-player versions, but probably one of the most enjoyable online MMORPGs I've played was really (and this will be dating me quite a bit) Dune MUSH. All text-based (and there are still several MUDs and MUSHes and such around, almost all free) but in some ways there was a depth to a lot of those that none of the big-name MMORPGs have never been able to match.
  • jepjr13jepjr13 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    I am the Coleco handheld football champ!!!!lol
    Same as Mega,I usually send out invites to let people know I'm available.I don't mind picking songs unless there's a singer involved then I feel he or she should pick them.Being a med. level guitarist,I'll jam with anyone who'll put up with me.I can do most of the low tiered songs on hard but I'd hate to fail out in a session just tryin to be better than I am.Plus a song sounds like crap if your less than 90%
    edited February 2009
    Pre-internet gaming = wasting hours on a game like Zelda just setting bombs at every location on every screen trying to find hidden items/entrances. How long did you get stuck on some of these games trying figure out the trigger to the next level or how to beat some chump like King Hippo?
    edited February 2009
    megatron;1969609 said:
    Pre-internet gaming = wasting hours on a game like Zelda just setting bombs at every location on every screen trying to find hidden items/entrances. How long did you get stuck on some of these games trying figure out the trigger to the next level or how to beat some chump like King Hippo?
    Oh I spent a crap load of hours on Zelda, never did beat it. I remember getting a bunch of nintendo games, then going back to the orignal Super Mario Bros after awhile and realizing it was an awesome game. I figured since it came with the console it must be crap. That is what's amazing about Nintendo, they some how did the same thing with Wii sports, after bored playing some of the games I go back to bowling, golf or boxing, and have fun when new friends try the Wii.

I never owned punch out but my friend had it, and he could never beat Tyson. Some how I could. But I could never beat Super macho man, so he'd play that level and I'd play the rest. I recently got Punch out for the console and I beat Super macho Man but then I played Mr Dream, I'm not sure if he's just a white tyson, but he kicked my ass. One punch and you're down.
  • Candy442Candy442 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Ah..the good ol Intellivision days,Coleco vision, Nintendo....the countless Gameboys , Sega ...and yes, my sons watched enviously when their mom could beat both games of Zelda with the original Link she started the game with! grin... Did anyone learn on the early IBM PC? I remember pong and playing Othello on my dad's 8088.

My boys think I am the coolest mom around being a parent that shares their love for video games. They had a hard time getting to play them with me around hogging it all the time. In fact "Hansel" is my son who lives in North Carolina with his wife "Kat"... they are official Friends of the Family band members now that they have RB2 for their Wii (They also play GHWT on the Wii). My other son "Xero" or sometimes he goes by "Vincent" (from FF days) plays an expert guitar and has entered Guitar Hero tournaments. He doesn't have a Wii, though. I think he is going to invest in a PS3

I have to say I am happy with the Wii for the interaction you get that the other systems don't have. Its fun and people of all ages, even my grandmother can play.

I am with you Z, I love PC gaming more than anything. I love RPGS. And darn if you didn't dash my imagination saying you lived in Colorado. I have this image of a smooth talking southern Louisiana bayou drawl when I "hear" you singing...oh well...sigh.

BTW, we are having internet issues again. Currently, Brett is shopping for his new character from the money I earned her drumming some of the world tour songs..wish I could just donate some of my earnings to those noobs...but....oh well.
    edited February 2009
    I won't dissappoint you too much, I was boarn and raised here in New Orleans, but my partens divorced when I was 8 and my Dad moved to Colorado. So I did a lot of going back and forth. So I really am Southern born and bred in that sense, but to be honest I don't have much of an accent (although linguists would say I have more of an homogonized accent). I do have a little bit of a New Orleans accent on certain words, though. Besides you can't really think of a southern drawl when you think of New Orleans (the city is pronounced kind of like you might pronounce N'awlins, although not really that badly and there are a few variants, or sometimes New Ohr-leah-uns but definitely not New Or-LEEns). This city was so heavily populated by Irish (well many nationalities, really, we were second largest immigration point in the United States behind New York, after all) longshormen. So that makes the New Orleans accents sound a lot more like a somewhat drawled New York (Brooklyn, I suppose) accent far more than the typical southern one. Of course there are pockets in the rest of South Louisiana where you get that Cajun accent, but it's not particularly common to hear that around here. The more typical southern accents don't start until you hit Mississippi or moving a bit further north in Louisiana, a bit of it in Baton Rouge (although the accents there tend not to be very strong) but the more north you go the more it becomes more typically southern. What can I say, Louisiana is an extremely (and, more often than not, oddly) diversified state.
  • jepjr13jepjr13 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    I don't think there's anything more cool than seeing my wife,5 year old son,6 year old daughter and me ripping through "Eye Of The Tiger" on a Sunday morning.definitely the best game I've played.
    edited February 2009
    So with the Nirvana pack coming out tomorrow... I dug up the original thread with the charts: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93062

I dunno... as a drummer... not a lot there.
    I like Nirvana... but these tracks are definitely the dimmer lights of the Nevermind album (imo).
    Might get "Breed".... everything else is a "meh".
    edit - on second look... maybe getting "Stay Away" as well.

What do you folks think?
    edited February 2009
    Well, let's see, we have...

Nirvana - Breed
    Nirvana - Lounge Act
    Nirvana - On a Plain
    Nirvana - Polly
    Nirvana - Something in the Way
    Nirvana - Stay Away
    Nirvana - Territorial Pissings

I'm a bit of a Nirvana junkie (it seems like I'm jsut a junkie for DLC these days) so I may have to get more than a few of those. I was going back over and singing Simple Man again today, too, and that really is such a great song. Just some nice little riffs on just every instrument and vocally it's just fantastic to get into, although I have to be careful about that. I tend to never get 100% on it because I get a little carried away and forget those little things that RB2 insists you hit, so I always seem to miss 1 phrase by the tiniest sliver (and it never seems to be the same phrase, either, go figure.) Well of to bed for me. I probably won't be on tomorrow, we're getting closer to Mardi Gras so plenty of folks and town and things to do and parades to show them and such.

Happy Carnival Season everyone!
  • ryanco64ryanco64 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Anyone of you guys online to play? ;)
    edited February 2009
    Pubknight;1971702 said:
    So with the Nirvana pack coming out tomorrow... I dug up the original thread with the charts: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93062

I dunno... as a drummer... not a lot there.
    I like Nirvana... but these tracks are definitely the dimmer lights of the Nevermind album (imo).
    Might get "Breed".... everything else is a "meh".
    edit - on second look... maybe getting "Stay Away" as well.

What do you folks think?

I'd have to say, I think a lot of these songs suck, where's Smells like teen Spirit, and Come as you are? I'm getting a little tired of HMX, touting they have awesome bands but then give the lamest songs by the bands, Activision is guilty of this as well. The Guitar Hero Aerosmith Track pack game only has about 3 good Aerosmith songs.