The Old Man Band (Players Over 30)

Comments

• PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I ended up picking up 3 (blame boredom... if I'm off work due to the hip much longer, I'm going to lose my mind)

Picked up Breed, On a Plain, and Stay Away... as the others don't offer much drum wise.
    As a positive, at least on Hard, Stay Away is an absolute gift as a devil horn drum song (it's really not that tough).

Nevermind was an important album for me growing up, and I do have to admit that playing the songs is pretty cool. Not as cool as playing the Boston songs.... but up there.

My only problem with judging dlc is I'm so limited... I can't 'rate' anything besides the drums (just not good enough). But those three songs, drums-wise are fun enough... and auto-pilot easy 5 stars on hard drums.
  • jepjr13jepjr13 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    picked up Breed and Territorial Pissings(love that tune)..."grunge"is just fine with me . Alice in Chains "Dirt" ,and Pearl Jam's entire catalog would make me happy
  • megatronmegatron Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Nirvana never did much for me (even though they were front & center during my formative HS & early college years). Like a few songs, Dive in particular but I'll probably use this week as an excuse to get some of the Track Pack 1 stuff I've been holding off on. I'll give 'em all spin & if a few catch my ear who knows. I don't buy into the Cobain "troubled artist" hype (sorry, you don't become a rock star by accident & most of what I've read into Nirvana history is that he was very clear to what he wanted them to be & controlled almost every aspect of their image, much more so than most bands do), and Love (by extension) is a waste.
  • zarlorzarlor Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    I got all of it. My "formative" years were a bit lean on the music I really liked (although I do like a rather eclectic mix) but the big stuff then was Madonna and Michael Jackson and everything was all Pop and New Wave and then a lot more R&B (Whitney Houston and such) and Hip Hip were making the scene, not really my thing. I was grooving on Ozzy's new stuff at the time and discovering a lot of Sabbath from the '70s. The big hits on the metal and rock side seemed more often to involve the "hair" bands, like Ratt, Poison, Bon Jovi and such, all OK but not what I really wanted (although my secret shame there had to be Twisted Sister for some reason, I love the crap out of "Come Out and Play" I think it was called, starting with a line from that '80s gang movie "The Warriors". Don't ask me why I like it, I just do.)

Of course in the background the punk scene was merging more rock and metal sounds in and overall rock was picking up an edgier sound until the emergence of groups like Nirvana start shoving "Adult Alternative" into the mainstream and there my musical niche started to really burst out. Even some of the obscure songs off of "Nevermind" I think are just awesome. Hell, Polly has to be one of my favorite songs on that album, so visual, visceral, sardonic and just great stuff, IMHO. The lyrics and music just fit so sarcastically together, so very Gen X, just so cynical in a way. I just love it.

These days I'll take ANYTHING by System of a Down (who have to be one of my all time favorite bands, although there's really only one song on Serj's solo album that I really like at all, and it's not the one they gave us for DLC, go figure.) Disturbed is awesome as is Drowning Pool. Give me "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" already!

Overall I do agree that it would be nicer to see some of the great songs from many of the bands they've put into their DLC, like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on this album. Ah well, I'm sure licensing rights play into it all somewhere as well probably limiting what songs HMX can and can't put into DLC.
  • Kev2380Kev2380 Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Anyone have Motely's Crews Saints of L.A., Move Along, All the Small Things by Blink? I picked those up last night, wouldn't mind playing with someone else that has them.
    edited February 2009
    Kev2380;1977860 said:
    Anyone have Motely's Crews Saints of L.A., Move Along, All the Small Things by Blink? I picked those up last night, wouldn't mind playing with someone else that has them.
    I have:
    Move Along and
    All The Small Things.
    no Saints of LA though, sorry.

I've got 50 dlc total, which includes... like... 14-15 of the 20 free (deleted a few of them). I'm not sure how much dlc we have to choose from in total now, but I think this week is the first week I haven't grabbed at least the majority (got 3/7).

Though the rumour is next week... at least next week's back catalogue stuff... is going to be another full album, this time from the Cars.
    (There is some guy in the Rock Band forums that claims he can hack the servers and sees what is uploaded before it goes live. He's successfully predicted both Boston and Nirvana).
    So if it is The Cars, I won't be getting that next week. (Something about Rick Ocasek's voice just reallly irritates me)
    edited February 2009
    I like the Cars, I'll get You might think I'm crazy, I thought the whole back log was supposed to be up by the end of this month.
    edited February 2009
    I had read the new releases would start syncing up across all consoles "in February"... but always went on the assumption the back catalog is going to take a while.

Mind you, the way its going, I'm not going to hold my breath on the new releases.
    All I want is for the new releases to sync up in time for the Pearl Jam "Ten" release.
    edited February 2009
    I also0 have Move Along and All The Small Things, but not Saints of LA. I currently have 55 DLC, which includes around 15 of the 20 free DLC. SO I'm pretty well loaded for bear on a lot of the DLC content so far. I like the Cars, too, so count me in for a good bit of that. I'd definitely be up for some Pearl Jam, too, and would lik eto see some kind of "catch up" at that point. Even if it isn't that all of the backlog is done so much as tossing some bones of the new stuff in with the backlog they are working on.
    edited February 2009
    Kev2380;1978621 said:
    I like the Cars, I'll get You might think I'm crazy, I thought the whole back log was supposed to be up by the end of this month.
    haha, just realized You might think isn't even included in the Cars pack. I guess I'll have to settle for let the good times roll, and my best friends girl.
  • Rsunset327Rsunset327 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    I'll play. I'm 31 with 4 kids and a money hungry leech, I mean wife :D
  • Candy442Candy442 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Hey Kev,

we were having connection problems AGAIN with our internet, just now able to get back on to let you know that is why we were exchanging invites last night.

Hope to be able to get a solid internet soon so we won't be losing the connection. I was on long enough to do a good score in the Winter Drums, but just shy of Pandora's Boxers. Who's band is that?
    edited February 2009
    Welcome, RSunset. I'll likely be on tonight so I'll add you then.
    edited February 2009
    zarlor;1982888 said:
    Welcome, RSunset. I'll likely be on tonight so I'll add you then.
    Sorry about last night, I royally stunk it up. I've beaten snow on hard before. I couldn't get into a good rythm last night. I was having a hard time with songs I've five stared before. I can't believe I lost a million fans by not getting 4stars on blink. I was so mad when I failed on snow.:mad::mad::mad: I got cocky because before I went online with you I beat some songs I never had before on hard. Finally finished all the songs on the tour. I cheated though, for battery and pain killer, I didn your noise vocal thing you talked about to get threw the songs. Still only got 3 stars on pain killer. lol I guess I'm just a medium guy all around. I can live with that. :D
    edited February 2009
    Rsunset327;1982425 said:
    I'll play. I'm 31 with 4 kids and a money hungry leech, I mean wife :D
    I'll add you also, what time do you play? I've got 3 kids that keep me on the shelf until 10 est or so. Unfortunately for me, that's a little later than the rest of the crew around here. Also, what is your weapon of choice?
    edited February 2009
    Kev2380;1982903 said:
    Sorry about last night, I royally stunk it up. I've beaten snow on hard before. I couldn't get into a good rythm last night. I was having a hard time with songs I've five stared before. I can't believe I lost a million fans by not getting 4stars on blink. I was so mad when I failed on snow.:mad::mad::mad: I got cocky because before I went online with you I beat some songs I never had before on hard. Finally finished all the songs on the tour. I cheated though, for battery and pain killer, I didn your noise vocal thing you talked about to get threw the songs. Still only got 3 stars on pain killer. lol I guess I'm just a medium guy all around. I can live with that. :D
    No issues. It happens. I was more worried about all the pickup members that they may get frustrated and quit. No wories foer me, though.

BTW, what did you mean by "I didn your noise vocal thing you talked about to get threw the songs"? If you mean where I was talking about gold-starring songs on vocals, that was strictly, and I do mean strictly, for "talkie" songs, like Testify, Visions and that Beastie Boys song (I try to purge everything Beastie Boys from my memory, so sorry about not remembering the name there.) In those songs it doesn't require you to sing anything. I'm REALLY surprised you were able to even get 3 stars out of something like Painkiller that way, even on Medium or Easy. Even the "talkie" sections of something like Painkiller requires you to try to mimic, to some extent, what the singer is doing there and so sometimes they can be more easily missed than you'd expect. But pure, all-"talk" songs, yeah, you can just make whatever noises you want and as long as you kick in OD in pretty much the right spots you should be able to Gold Star those puppies. Battery or Painkiller, though... definitely not the songs I was talking about. ;)
    edited February 2009
    Hey zarlor, I never meant you cheated. I was just saying that's what I did to pass those two songs, actually got 4 stars on battery and 3 on pain killer on hard.

BTW, do you have the thread for the guy who is predicting what DLC comes next?
    edited February 2009
    Sorry, i wasn't talking about cheating anything, only trying to decribe how, essentially, easy the talkie songs are. So I was trying to figure out what you meant by saying you just made noise on something like Painkiller and Battery and still passed them. I'd guess you had to hit some good notes in there somewhere! ;)

As for the predictions thread, you got me. PK was the one who mentioned that.
    edited February 2009
    FINALLY! I Gold Starred Tangled Up in Blue (I sure as heck didn't FC that piece of garbage, but at least I got the gold stars I was trying for.) That leaves one last annoying song to do that on... Rob the Prez-O-Dent. How I despise that song....

Still, getting Dylan's junk is mighty good news that I just had to share (although I'm sure nobody is really all that interested. ;))

Oh and as a side note that might be interesting to folks, it looks like PK was right. All the new DLC will be from The Cars:

Good Times Roll
    My Best Friend's Girl
    In In Touch With Your World
    Don't Cha Stop
    You're All I've Got Tonight
    Bye Bye Love
    Moving In Stereo
    All Mixed Up
    edited February 2009
    Heya folks,
    Checking in, I've been a bit scarce lately working on this whole hip recovery thing.
    Rsunset327, I'll add you in as well.

Status wise, I'm very excited... I got my new bass pedal this week!
    It's taking a bit of adjustment (mainly for tweaking its setup) but its definitely an improvement.
    I'm working my way through expert drums, tier by tier on sight reads.
    Going well... though my typical hard score still exceeds my expert score, mainly due to more "stuff" in expert that can break combos.

I figure after I get through the initial sight-read pass and start playing everything on expert, that will get better. Realistically, I suppose it has taken me over a month to get where I am on Hard, so it should take about that same time to get to a comparable spot on Expert as well.

After I've gone through the expert "just pass everything first" stage, and I feel comfortable enough, I'll take to playing Expert online. Right now I'm still on the "hard" online stage, and Expert offline.

Has everyone been playing much?

The Cars DLC will be a big pass for me... just have never been a fan... unless there are a couple of songs that all of you folks will be picking up... then I will pick those up as well just so we have a bit of a consistent 'stable' of songs to choose from.

And Kev, that guy that made the prediction, his user name is: CaitSith2.
    I'm going to start searching his posts, or keeping an eye out for any of his predictions, as he seems to have some sort of inside knowledge/server hack ability to accurately predict the upcoming DLC. (he's nailed 3 consecutive weeks now... which is way more than coincidence as far as I'm concerned). He says that the dlc is up on the server 2 weeks in advance, and he has some way of 'seeing' it.
    I haven't seen an upcoming dlc prediction from him yet.

And Z, congrats on Tangled... that's great.
    edited February 2009
    Is Visions incredibly easy on Vocals?
    After multiple attempts to pass Visions first on guitar then on bass (hard & expert) I decided to try vocals just so I could unlock it on quickplay & not lose 76K fans each time I failed. So, I try it on hard, first time I've ever seen the words, & 100% FC! So, just to experiment I try expert & 100% GS FC! I was totally shocked, it's the only time I've ever sung in a non-band situation & I usually have to sing on med. So, I guess I'm just assuming since Visions is a "talker" it's just real easy as long as you can read.

PK, good to hear your doing better, I'll be on throughout the weekend on guitar/bass. I'd say go expert especially when on-line so you can get saved on difficult sections. That will make you better, faster. hopefully we can jam (that goes for everyone else too!)
    edited February 2009
    Megatron, that's what I've been saying! All of the talkies are extremely easy for a non-singer. You don't have to say the words or anything, just make noise or make up the words however you want, as long as you are making sounds as the words scroll by, you're good to go. And if you hit the OD in the rights spots (and since most of the talkies kind of limit you on when you can hit it anyway you'll usually hit it in the rights spots) you should be able to GS them with no problems. So Visions, Give it Aways (although the first phrase has something special you have to do, see below, and the last phrase is actually sung, but neither of those should affect your ability to GS the song) and So Watc'ha Want are all very, very easy to do vocals on. Same is true for that DLC song, Prequel to the Sequel.

Now some songs have talkie sections that are also that easy (like Rob the Prez-O-Dent) but have enough singing to make them difficult anyway, or more often you have songs that have certain talkie sections that require a lot more precise way of fully activating it. Like the very first phrase of Give It Away there are two sounds they want you to make ("Oh and Ohh") that if you just make any sound there will NOT fully activate that phrase. On those you have to add a raspiness to your voice to make them work. Same is partially true for a couple of falling slide sections in Painkiller. Other songs need some other effect to the sound but I don't know all of them yet or exactly what they need (the first energy phrase in Blondie's One Thing or Another is one of those, the "git cha"s I just can't nail, but on Psycho Killer there are these "Fa, Fa" sections where I've figured out that a lot of F sound is what they are looking for to get those to work best.)

But, at any rate, songs that are almost entirely "talky" usually need no tricks. Just any noise will let you nail them to the wall. They really are just that easy (and you'll notice that most of them have no dot ratings at all for vocals).
    edited February 2009
    It's just so much harder than any other song on guitar (for me), best i've done is x-84% and then to GS Vocals 1st time (and I don't think my timing was good at all) kinda blew my mind. I just assumed it was going to be as-difficult.
    edited February 2009
    Nope. Vocals are as easy as pie on that. Feel free to sleep though it and just snore your way to those gold stars. ;)

And, I JUST got Rob The Prez-O-Dent. Finally finished all the darned songs getting a GS on them. Whew. That songs is a real *****. With Dylan I have to think singing sharper than what I'm hearing to nail what RB wants me to sing, whereas I finally figured out that on Rob the Prez-O-Dent I have to sing flatter than what I'm hearing. It's so annoying to, in essence, not be able to mimic the singer you're trying to sing like (since most songs DO work better when mimicking the singer, except in a few cases where a singer might scoop up to or slide out of a particular note and RB expects you to hit it on and hold that same note, whihc mikes both of those songs particularly difficult since they both do a lot of that as well as the oddball notes they sing with oddball vocal qualities on top.)
    edited February 2009
    Hey, Kev and PK, how did things look on your side for that first session we did today? Kive picked a 3 song set of all DLC tunes in World Tour and I went to the Loading screen after selecting difficulty only to get stuck on that loading screen. I got an invite after a bit (I'm assuming that was from Kev) but I couldn't get out of the loading screen without restarting my Wii. Very strange and I've had it happen once before, but only with Kev. What did you guys see happen?
    edited February 2009
    Mine froze up for a long time... I'm thinking like 3-4 minutes... just as I was about to shut the Wii off, it 'un-froze', but you guys were both gone. I assumed you both rebooted.
    edited February 2009
    zarlor;1995387 said:
    Hey, Kev and PK, how did things look on your side for that first session we did today? Kive picked a 3 song set of all DLC tunes in World Tour and I went to the Loading screen after selecting difficulty only to get stuck on that loading screen. I got an invite after a bit (I'm assuming that was from Kev) but I couldn't get out of the loading screen without restarting my Wii. Very strange and I've had it happen once before, but only with Kev. What did you guys see happen?
    Zarlor, I had that same exact problem you had, I think it has something to do with the song Move Along, it happened before when I tried to play that song with you or another person I can't remember. For some reason that song keeps freezing the game at the loading screen. I had to restart my Wii as well. It was really annoying, I was hoping you guys weren't going to bail. I wouldn't have blamed you. Poor Pub was dropped from the first set to pick up Zarlor, then we had the freeze problem, then I had to leave after only playing one set.
    edited February 2009
    Issues crop up, it's just to be expected. You just try to work through them and move on. We had Move Along in the set we did wehn I got back on, although at a different venuw. And I didn't think it was the first song you picked, but still good to know that if we run into that problem I probably just need to rebbot the Wii and we can get back going again.

BTW, I started a new band, Sazerac Ball (named after the first cocktail created right here in New Orleans, the Sazerac, and since that name by itself was already taken I added Ball on there because, being Carnival time right now I though the name might fit well with another tradition here, Mardi Gras Balls.) At any rate, I've got it specifically for doing multi-player stuff with folks, so if people really don't want to pick songs and such and feel like I'm a leech for making them do it all the time ;) then we can always do my band instead. So there. :p
  • HamsterRiotHamsterRiot Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    The man & I play nearly every night (8pm PST) ... beats the heck out of trying to find something to watch on cable.

Me: vocals hard/expert
    Him: bass/guitar hard.expert (depends on the song)

Anyone can add us .. just drop me a line with your FC so we can add you too!
    edited February 2009
    I'll add you for sure HamsterRiot, though that is a bit later than I am typically on (I'm an east coaster).
    But be sure to fire off megatron a message... he usually plays later as well.
    (you'll find him in this thread)