The Old Man Band (Players Over 30)

Comments

• megatronmegatron Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Is Visions incredibly easy on Vocals?
    After multiple attempts to pass Visions first on guitar then on bass (hard & expert) I decided to try vocals just so I could unlock it on quickplay & not lose 76K fans each time I failed. So, I try it on hard, first time I've ever seen the words, & 100% FC! So, just to experiment I try expert & 100% GS FC! I was totally shocked, it's the only time I've ever sung in a non-band situation & I usually have to sing on med. So, I guess I'm just assuming since Visions is a "talker" it's just real easy as long as you can read.

PK, good to hear your doing better, I'll be on throughout the weekend on guitar/bass. I'd say go expert especially when on-line so you can get saved on difficult sections. That will make you better, faster. hopefully we can jam (that goes for everyone else too!)
  • zarlorzarlor Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Megatron, that's what I've been saying! All of the talkies are extremely easy for a non-singer. You don't have to say the words or anything, just make noise or make up the words however you want, as long as you are making sounds as the words scroll by, you're good to go. And if you hit the OD in the rights spots (and since most of the talkies kind of limit you on when you can hit it anyway you'll usually hit it in the rights spots) you should be able to GS them with no problems. So Visions, Give it Aways (although the first phrase has something special you have to do, see below, and the last phrase is actually sung, but neither of those should affect your ability to GS the song) and So Watc'ha Want are all very, very easy to do vocals on. Same is true for that DLC song, Prequel to the Sequel.

Now some songs have talkie sections that are also that easy (like Rob the Prez-O-Dent) but have enough singing to make them difficult anyway, or more often you have songs that have certain talkie sections that require a lot more precise way of fully activating it. Like the very first phrase of Give It Away there are two sounds they want you to make ("Oh and Ohh") that if you just make any sound there will NOT fully activate that phrase. On those you have to add a raspiness to your voice to make them work. Same is partially true for a couple of falling slide sections in Painkiller. Other songs need some other effect to the sound but I don't know all of them yet or exactly what they need (the first energy phrase in Blondie's One Thing or Another is one of those, the "git cha"s I just can't nail, but on Psycho Killer there are these "Fa, Fa" sections where I've figured out that a lot of F sound is what they are looking for to get those to work best.)

But, at any rate, songs that are almost entirely "talky" usually need no tricks. Just any noise will let you nail them to the wall. They really are just that easy (and you'll notice that most of them have no dot ratings at all for vocals).
    edited February 2009
    It's just so much harder than any other song on guitar (for me), best i've done is x-84% and then to GS Vocals 1st time (and I don't think my timing was good at all) kinda blew my mind. I just assumed it was going to be as-difficult.
    edited February 2009
    Nope. Vocals are as easy as pie on that. Feel free to sleep though it and just snore your way to those gold stars. ;)

And, I JUST got Rob The Prez-O-Dent. Finally finished all the darned songs getting a GS on them. Whew. That songs is a real *****. With Dylan I have to think singing sharper than what I'm hearing to nail what RB wants me to sing, whereas I finally figured out that on Rob the Prez-O-Dent I have to sing flatter than what I'm hearing. It's so annoying to, in essence, not be able to mimic the singer you're trying to sing like (since most songs DO work better when mimicking the singer, except in a few cases where a singer might scoop up to or slide out of a particular note and RB expects you to hit it on and hold that same note, whihc mikes both of those songs particularly difficult since they both do a lot of that as well as the oddball notes they sing with oddball vocal qualities on top.)
    edited February 2009
    Hey, Kev and PK, how did things look on your side for that first session we did today? Kive picked a 3 song set of all DLC tunes in World Tour and I went to the Loading screen after selecting difficulty only to get stuck on that loading screen. I got an invite after a bit (I'm assuming that was from Kev) but I couldn't get out of the loading screen without restarting my Wii. Very strange and I've had it happen once before, but only with Kev. What did you guys see happen?
  • PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Mine froze up for a long time... I'm thinking like 3-4 minutes... just as I was about to shut the Wii off, it 'un-froze', but you guys were both gone. I assumed you both rebooted.
  • Kev2380Kev2380 Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    zarlor;1995387 said:
    Hey, Kev and PK, how did things look on your side for that first session we did today? Kive picked a 3 song set of all DLC tunes in World Tour and I went to the Loading screen after selecting difficulty only to get stuck on that loading screen. I got an invite after a bit (I'm assuming that was from Kev) but I couldn't get out of the loading screen without restarting my Wii. Very strange and I've had it happen once before, but only with Kev. What did you guys see happen?
    Zarlor, I had that same exact problem you had, I think it has something to do with the song Move Along, it happened before when I tried to play that song with you or another person I can't remember. For some reason that song keeps freezing the game at the loading screen. I had to restart my Wii as well. It was really annoying, I was hoping you guys weren't going to bail. I wouldn't have blamed you. Poor Pub was dropped from the first set to pick up Zarlor, then we had the freeze problem, then I had to leave after only playing one set.
    edited February 2009
    Issues crop up, it's just to be expected. You just try to work through them and move on. We had Move Along in the set we did wehn I got back on, although at a different venuw. And I didn't think it was the first song you picked, but still good to know that if we run into that problem I probably just need to rebbot the Wii and we can get back going again.

BTW, I started a new band, Sazerac Ball (named after the first cocktail created right here in New Orleans, the Sazerac, and since that name by itself was already taken I added Ball on there because, being Carnival time right now I though the name might fit well with another tradition here, Mardi Gras Balls.) At any rate, I've got it specifically for doing multi-player stuff with folks, so if people really don't want to pick songs and such and feel like I'm a leech for making them do it all the time ;) then we can always do my band instead. So there. :p
  • HamsterRiotHamsterRiot Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    The man & I play nearly every night (8pm PST) ... beats the heck out of trying to find something to watch on cable.

Me: vocals hard/expert
    Him: bass/guitar hard.expert (depends on the song)

Anyone can add us .. just drop me a line with your FC so we can add you too!
    edited February 2009
    I'll add you for sure HamsterRiot, though that is a bit later than I am typically on (I'm an east coaster).
    But be sure to fire off megatron a message... he usually plays later as well.
    (you'll find him in this thread)
    edited February 2009
    Kev2380;1995956 said:
    I was hoping you guys weren't going to bail. I wouldn't have blamed you. Poor Pub was dropped from the first set to pick up Zarlor, then we had the freeze problem, then I had to leave after only playing one set.
    No worries... I am never in much of a hurry if I'm playing... and I realize our console of choice when combined with the Internet... well.. let's just say it can sometimes have some issues.
    As long as it looks like there is something happening, I'm very patient.
    If we're in the matchmaking screen for like 15 minutes, and there is no sign of life... then I might bail... but otherwise I'll hang out until it all gets pulled together.
    edited February 2009
    I'll add you too, HamsterRiot, but I tend to do vocals myself as well (as well as being on Central Time and going to bed around the time you say you get on), but I can always switch out to something else if I need to. I probably don't play guitar or drums as much as I really should if I ever expect to get any better at them.
    edited February 2009
    I added you HamsterRiot
    edited February 2009
    Candy,

If you want to do that Battle again, I'm game! I screwed up in a TON of spots there on songs that I just shouldn't be screwing up lioke that on. I couldn't even get tapping right for some reason. Definitely not at my best today, but I'd like another shot at improving that score, that's for sure!
    edited February 2009
    Hey Z, nice set. Not a bad showing the BotB for 2 people (that's a personal best on Lazy Eye). Gotta take a 15 min break, fret hand is on strike & refuses to cooperate any longer. I'll send another invite when I get back, hope your still around.

update: done for the night
    edited February 2009
    Sorry, but it's getting a bit late for me and I've been on and off all day, so time to give the ole vocal chords a rest! I nailed most of those songs about as well as can be expected, I think. Pinball Wizard's last vocal phrase I'm just too inconsistent on and there are a couple of phrases I can't consistently get on Let There Be Rock. The rest I should get 100% on every time. I think we could have gotten a lot better if we could figure out the right pace to try and sync up for OD, but how you even fit in hitting OD at all (let alone realizing when the imposible to see vocalist does it!) with all those notes flying fast and furious is just beyond me. It's mind-boggling watching Guitar on Expert. You're lucky I didn't get mezmerized watching you and lose my spot. ;) Still, several of those songs do have longer instrumental intros, or just longer sections where the vocalist won't be ready to go into OD for a bit (Everlong in particular is like that, I'll wait for a 3/4 full bar then skip 1 activation window before I ever kick off the first OD.) So on some of those it seems you'd be better off kicking on yours well before I ever do so you can have time to pick some more up by the time I kick mine in.

Still, figuring out what is going on with vocals when on an instrument seems to me to be extremely hard. It's easier to try and listen for the whoosh or maybe the crowd roar more than trying to glance up, it seems to me. At least when the drums do it that hold golden highway thing kind of stands out at the side of your vision. The vocal kick just sucks compared to that. BTW, have you tried hooking up your drum pedal to your guitar yet? I find it a little less disruptive to my playing to just use the pedal to kick into overdrive instead of tilting the guitar or trying to hit that button. (I always seem to hit it accidently when I don't want to, but if I try to I'm pretty much guaranteed to miss a strum, and that's just on Medium!)

Ah, well. I should be on tomorrow and I'd love to try that battle again with a full band sometime.
  • Candy442Candy442 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Z, thanks for the offer. You came around at the right time. I had my son's GF here *Abigail*. Siegfried is my son on the Guitar. He only plays when he is at my other son's home in NC...lol. So, there was some shifting due to only having a guitar at each of the homes. Abby tried BAss, I did the drums although my older son can do those as well as hard/expert guitar. Brett was off at a real concert in Indiana yesterday leaving me to play RB2 and do my homework ..

you are on! I thought you did very good for us, lets try it again today if you are available after noon EST.
    edited February 2009
    You got it. I've got a new outfit for you, as usual. ;)
  • hexxmanhexxman Banned
    edited February 2009
    hiya im 38 and a med-to hard guitarist.y wife pays drums, mostly easy but she is learnin medium. lol anyway ill have to get my info up here . ill post later. thanks
    edited February 2009
    Welcome, hexxman. Post your code when you check back in here and I'll be happy to add you, as I'm sure many others here will be as well.

Candy, you must have hated my outfit to punish me with Rob the Prez-O-Dent like that! Fear not, I changed it out now to the final one for now, something a little more traditional that might go well for Mardi Gras tomorrow. After that I think jeans and t-shirt are in order. Although maybe that Beast of Burden will have to come out for St. Patty's day or something. ;)
    edited February 2009
    The rest of the U.S. may not care all that much, but it's a pretty big deal around here, so...

Happy Mardi Gras, ya'll!
    edited February 2009
    Happy Mardis Gras, Z.
    Stay out of trouble... or, if you can't stay out of trouble... make it the good kind of trouble.

And hey, were you aware of this promo (http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124452? If I were you I would look into assembling a live team in your area... you're one of the top vocalists in the game... that has to give you a big score advantage over most people right off the get-go.

On other notes, anyone around and planning on playing Thurs/Fri night?
    I haven't had much of a chance to play with any other people this week... going a little loonie "playing with myself"... so to speak.
    edited February 2009
    Yeah Z, have a great time, keep an eye out & beware of the Cops camera crew! I live just outside Afghanist..I mean Detroit so I'm not real familar with the concept of walking around and having a good time in a big City.
    edited February 2009
    Actually I'm just taking this as a day off. I don't normally had into the French Quarter around this time of year, it's too much of a zoo (although it's occasionally fun to go watch all the tourists and get in a little filming of all the action, or if friends are in town bringing them down to catch the craziness there.) Otherwise I'm well paraded out by now, so just having a day off will be my way of celebrating. Besides for locals Mardi Gras isn't all about what you see on Cops and such (which is all in the French Quarter), but a whole city affair with parades (which it should be noted have been going on since mid-January) and plenty of family-friendly activities (so those of you with kids have no need to avoid coming down thinking it's all about girls showing off their endowments or anything. ;) Of course if you enjoy that, obviously we can accommodate. :cool:)

Still, this year I'm just hangin' out. As for Thurs/Fri, as usual I have choir practice on Thursday, and I probably won't be on Friday night either. Sorry. :( But if you're on during the day today at all, I should be around. As for that promotion... I don't think so. I've done some performance before (choir, obviously, plays, a musical or two), but I don't think I'd really do all that well under pressure and public karaoke isn't really my thing. Not to mention, depending on the song, the things you do vocally for a top score aren't necessarily all that great for a performance anyway.
    edited February 2009
    I'm not sure I'd want the grand prize of opening for the B-52's, that could be embarrassing (look at that old fool with his plastic guitar).
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, really. Then again I'm pretty sure all the members of the B-52s are older than me (although not by much :eek:).
  • Beach KittyBeach Kitty Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    are women allowed in?

368 010 871 460
    edited February 2009
    Absolutely! We're quite non-discriminatory on that front. I'll add you to my friends list now, so feel free to send an invite whenever.
  • Beach KittyBeach Kitty Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    wow. thanks zarlor. how appropriate i meet a famous musician on fat tuesday. everytime i post a high score by the next time i turn on rb there you are with the much higher one

so i'd love to get my butt kicked in a duel is what i am saying :)

capt anastacia
  • ennis1437ennis1437 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Everytime I log onto the forums it makes me want to fire up the wii and start playing! Well I am off drums for a few days I have been playing a lot of expert and played for several hours a couple days ago and my ankle muscles that I did not even know I had got really sore! Hey Pk thanks for the advice on panic attack there are a lot of repeating patterns, but there are A LOT of them got all the way to the outro the 4th time I tried playing and failed at 98% ouch! Happy Mardi Gras also Z!! A lot of My family is there enjoying all the parades and the going ons. Candy I have added you A while ago I did not relize that 5ivewire is your husband and I sent him my FC . I have you as xero is that you? any way my fc is 123197801922. I will put it in my signature when I figure out how to do it. Anyway Looking forward to playing again in the next few days, although it will be scarce for me cause next week is bike week in daytona and I will be doing some ridding at watching some racing! later rockers! V