History of Rock Holiday Thread.

sg327sg327 Road Warrior
edited December 2008 in History of Rock
This is the time of year I like to dig out all my old favorite Christmas songs (obviously) and reflect back over things that have happened during the year.

I thought it might be fun to start a thread and pick out some of the highlights you've had this year here on the HoR forum and maybe some of your favorite threads you've ran across and posted in....or maybe just have a few favorite posters you've never really communicated with and just want to wish 'em a Happy Holiday and send a friend request. (I've got a few of those).

You can even mention your favorite Christmas song and post a vid if you'd like to.

I'll start it off....

My favorite Christmas song...."Little Drummer Boy"- David Bowie and Bing Crosby

The song title, mashup and puzzle/game threads are always a lot of fun and I've certainly spent quite a bit of time in some of those.

The concert stories and "your musical history" threads have had some real gems posted in there. I've enjoyed reading through those and have found some people since I've signed up that keep me coming back just to read what they have to say.

I may come back later with some others so I can keep it short but those are a few that stand out for me. Happy Holidays everyone!!

Comments

• Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Top 5 Overrated/Underrated is the failiest thread ever.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    i didn't start posting here until fairly recently, but it's by far my favorite part of the forums.

my highlight probably has to be any thread where users have been exposed to new music, or even music they previously thought they didn't dig and turned out to anyhow.

the blog was awesome while it was going.
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited December 2008
    I do allot of lurking in this thread, mainly. Most of all i like the Album Review thread, because you can find out allot about someone through there musical tastes there. Although most of the ones i do are completely biased, and subjective to the maximum. It is a chance to at least check out something you might not know you liked.
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    afterstasis;1716407 said:
    i didn't start posting here until fairly recently, but it's by far my favorite part of the forums.

my highlight probably has to be any thread where users have been exposed to new music, or even music they previously thought they didn't dig and turned out to anyhow.

the blog was awesome while it was going.
    There's quite a few guys (and gals) here on the forums that definitely know what they're talking about when it comes to music and it amazes me sometimes by what they have to say.

The blog is one of my highlights from this year too. I don't know how much more I can contribute but I'm one of the guilty parties when it comes to at least not getting in there and listening and leaving comments. (I'll work on that when the holidays are over and things slow down a bit :().
    benson111;1716439 said:
    I do allot of lurking in this thread, mainly. Most of all i like the Album Review thread, because you can find out allot about someone through there musical tastes there. Although most of the ones i do are completely biased, and subjective to the maximum. It is a chance to at least check out something you might not know you liked.
    There's a few people on here that I make a point of looking for their posts to see what they have to say and have kind of devoloped an image in my head as far as what they look like, taste in music, etc.

I was reading through a thread yesterday and would never have guessed that's what their first names were (haha).
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Since I've joined, the HoR forums has been the most organized, insightful part of the overall Rock band forums. I really do enjoy reading everything people say on here.

Favorite threads would have to be the "stupidest things you have heard from others (music-related)" thread, as well as the threads where forum members learn about new music from each other. The game threads are also pretty fun.

A lot of the regular posters on the HoR forums are pretty cool, but afterstasis really stands out. He is one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to music that I've ever seen, in addition to having a wide range of taste in music and being really helpful to people looking to discover music.

My favorite Christmas song would probably be "Father Christmas" by The Kinks.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited December 2008
    Happy Birthday Jimmy Buffett!!!

(yes, his birthday is Dec. 25)
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Gotta soft spot in my heart for Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys Christmas album is actually really good. I also like Lennon's "And so this is Christmas." We're listening to some Brian Setzer right now and I dig it -- he does seem a little full of himself sometimes, though.

Mostly though I go for the standards. My favorite carol to sing is Oh Holy Night. And we usually do a sing along Messiah every year -- but we had conflicts this year and missed it :(:(
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    OldFogey;1717569 said:
    Gotta soft spot in my heart for Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys Christmas album is actually really good. I also like Lennon's "And so this is Christmas." We're listening to some Brian Setzer right now and I dig it -- he does seem a little full of himself sometimes, though.

Mostly though I go for the standards. My favorite carol to sing is Oh Holy Night. And we usually do a sing along Messiah every year -- but we had conflicts this year and missed it :(:(
    I've only had RB2 for a couple weeks and had forgotten that it had freestyle mode. I loaded up the PS3 with about 90 songs and discovered that "This Cat's On a Hot Tin Roof" and "Jump Jive an' Wail" are a blast to play.