$100 Gift Card + iTunes = What to Buy?

WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
edited December 2008 in History of Rock
So, I've got $100 worth of iTunes gift cards to spend on iTunes. I don't really know exactly what I should get. I want some more obscure stuff that I won't be able to find elsewhere (in torrents...). I want to add to my collection of thrash/death/black metal primarily.

I figured you guys could help. Any ideas?

Comments

  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    i've been meaning to tell you about jex thoth, so maybe listen to a few samples (http://www.myspace.com/totemdoom) and then see if itunes has anything.

    it's got a few old friends who used to play in a psychedelic folk band called wooden wand & the vanishing voice...
    jex thoth was originally called totem, but changed their name and got a lot better (and more unusual, by doom standards).
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited December 2008
    afterstasis;1717266 said:
    i've been meaning to tell you about jex thoth, so maybe listen to a few samples (http://www.myspace.com/totemdoom) and then see if itunes has anything.

    it's got a few old friends who used to play in a psychedelic folk band called wooden wand & the vanishing voice...
    jex thoth was originally called totem, but changed their name and got a lot better (and more unusual, by doom standards).
    I like it. There's one album up on iTunes. I think I'll get it.
  • bmcorrierbmcorrier Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Skeletonwitch. You will enjoy, I promise.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited December 2008
    bmcorrier;1717275 said:
    Skeletonwitch. You will enjoy, I promise.
    I like that, too. Keep 'em coming.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Depends on the type you're looking for. If you like Skeletonwitch, I'll also recommend Toxic holocaust, on the thrash side.

    The rest is tough since a lot of the stuff I want to recommend isn't on iTunes, haha.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    a few black metal albums from this year that i think you'd really dig...

    woe - a spell for the death of man - http://www.last.fm/label/Subvert+All+Media
    trancelike void - destroying something beautiful - http://www.myspace.com/trancelikevoid
    lascowiec - asgard mysteries - http://www.realmusic.ru/lascowiec

    sorry if any of these aren't on itunes. i've never been on their web-site, so i have no clue what kind of a selection is available there.

    feel free to let me know if there's anything else you need.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Hungryfreak;1717315 said:
    Depends on the type you're looking for. If you like Skeletonwitch, I'll also recommend Toxic holocaust, on the thrash side.

    The rest is tough since a lot of the stuff I want to recommend isn't on iTunes, haha.
    Yeah, that's an issue haha. I've heard of Toxic Holocaust, also. They opened for GWAR at the show that I wanted to see (but my damn parents wouldn't let me). I think they're on Relapse, too, right?

    I'll go check 'em out. I bet I can find a torrent.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited December 2008
    afterstasis;1717323 said:
    a few black metal albums from this year that i think you'd really dig...

    woe - a spell for the death of man - http://www.last.fm/label/Subvert+All+Media
    trancelike void - destroying something beautiful - http://www.myspace.com/trancelikevoid
    lascowiec - asgard mysteries - http://www.realmusic.ru/lascowiec

    sorry if any of these aren't on itunes. i've never been on their web-site, so i have no clue what kind of a selection is available there.

    feel free to let me know if there's anything else you need.
    Yeah, none of those are on iTunes. I'll go see if I can find any torrents, though.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited December 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1717325 said:
    Yeah, that's an issue haha. I've heard of Toxic Holocaust, also. They opened for GWAR at the show that I wanted to see (but my damn parents wouldn't let me). I think they're on Relapse, too, right?

    I'll go check 'em out. I bet I can find a torrent.
    Yeah, they're on Relapse. An Overdose of Death... is among my favorite albums of '08. Also, speaking of Relapse, if you're into sludge metal (which I imagine you are) check out Baroness. Get The Red Album (that is if you like their sound). I would check them out first, but they're pretty kickass.

    Off of iTunes, along the lines of sludge/doom, I still recommend you get Kongh's album (if you haven't already). Also, Omega Massif has some pretty good sludge stuff. Geisterstadt's a pretty damn good album.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;1717328 said:
    Yeah, none of those are on iTunes. I'll go see if I can find any torrents, though.
    ah, bummer... if you can't find 'em they're readily available via soulseek via a crunk-ass'ed user who happens to have the same username that i use here! (just PM me on there and i'll add you to my friendlist and make more recommendations)
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Hungryfreak;1717348 said:
    Yeah, they're on Relapse. An Overdose of Death... is among my favorite albums of '08. Also, speaking of Relapse, if you're into sludge metal (which I imagine you are) check out Baroness. Get The Red Album (that is if you like their sound). I would check them out first, but they're pretty kickass.

    Off of iTunes, along the lines of sludge/doom, I still recommend you get Kongh's album (if you haven't already). Also, Omega Massif has some pretty good sludge stuff. Geisterstadt's a pretty damn good album.
    I've heard of Baroness but still haven't checked them out. I'll get something soon, but I have to leave to go to New York right now. Keep the recommendations coming, I can add stuff when I get back.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Definitely not a metal by any means, but I really like the band A Gun That Shoots Knives and I couldn't find any torrents of them. They are sort of a pop/rock band, but they are very unique and go across a wide variety of genres.
    www.myspace.com/agunthatshootsknives

    And I don't know if you like hip hop at all, but the band Medium Troy is great. They mix hip hop, reggae, rock, and a bunch of other genres to create some of the greatest hip hop I've heard. They remind me of sublime if sublime had been more focused on hiphop instead of reggae/punk.
    www.myspace.com/mediumtroy

    These are probably the 2 smallest bands I know of that are on itunes. They both are from the Northwest region (where I live) and haven't toured much yet.
Sign In or Register to comment.