Protest Rock (Suggestions)

HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
After watching Tropic Thunder I realized something... I really, really dig Vietnam era protest rock, such as "Run Through the Jungle" and "For What It's Worth"... anything else you could suggest for me?

Comments

  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    Ohio by CSNY one of my favorite protest songs of all time and I agree protest songs do sound great (good example with For What It's Worth on your part) I think Hendrix had some protest songs, but can not remember any
  • MdrnDayWarriorMdrnDayWarrior Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Unknown Soldier by The Doors, and Five to One, but that one isn't a proven protest song, but it is damn good.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    MdrnDayWarrior;1719395 said:
    Unknown Soldier by The Doors, and Five to One, but that one isn't a proven protest song, but it is damn good.
    Forgot Unknown Soldier that is a good one
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    GIve Peace A Chance; Happy Xmas (War is Over) by Lennon.
    Fortunate Son by CCR
    Blowin' in the Wind; The Times They Are A-Changin' by Dylan
    War Pigs by Black Sabbath
    Eve of Destruction by Barry Mcguire
    Turn, Turn, Turn by The Byrds
    Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones
    Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix
    Peace Train by Cat Stevens
    Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane
    What's Goin' On by Marvin Gaye
    Where Have All the Flowers Gone? by Pete Seeger


    And, of course, the best anti-war song ever:

    War by Edwin Starr (WAR good god y'all, what is it good for? absolutely nothin'....say it again)
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    By the way, am I the only one who thought Run Through the Jungle was a Steppenwolf song rather than a CCR song?
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    HyeJinx1984;1720204 said:
    By the way, am I the only one who thought Run Through the Jungle was a Steppenwolf song rather than a CCR song?
    Bite your tongue! :)

    CCR rocks.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    cherokeesam;1720336 said:
    Bite your tongue! :)

    CCR rocks.
    Both bands rock I still think Ohio is one of the greatest protest songs and I did forget a lot on your list cherokeesam
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Heh, Tropic Thunder. I saw that yesterday.

    Anyway, besides Ohio, maybe "War Song" by Neil Young & Graham Nash?
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    cherokeesam;1720336 said:
    Bite your tongue! :)

    CCR rocks.
    They both rock! Did you just insinuate that referring to something as steppenwolf-like is an insult??? :eek::eek::eek::mad:

    Steppenwolf = Best Band ever (well, not really... but close)
  • RazputinRazputin Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Get Up Stand Up by Bob Marley. Pure awesome.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited December 2008
    Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come" (although soul, not rock) was a protest song.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    HyeJinx1984;1720924 said:
    They both rock! Did you just insinuate that referring to something as steppenwolf-like is an insult??? :eek::eek::eek::mad:

    Steppenwolf = Best Band ever (well, not really... but close)
    Certainly not insinuating that Steppenwolf is insulting at all.

    Just observing that it's blasphemy...BLASPHEMY, I tells ya -- to miscredit a CCR song to anybody else. :D

    And I'd also add "Who'll Stop the Rain?" to the list of CCR Vietnam protest songs.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    HyeJinx1984;1719316 said:
    After watching Tropic Thunder I realized something... I really, really dig Vietnam era protest rock, such as "Run Through the Jungle" and "For What It's Worth"... anything else you could suggest for me?
    If you want to get into modern protest, check out Valient Thorr. They write some great songs.
  • FredhiggFredhigg Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    HyeJinx1984;1720204 said:
    By the way, am I the only one who thought Run Through the Jungle was a Steppenwolf song rather than a CCR song?
    Yes I think you were.:)
  • dingdowdingdow Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    how about.......
    monster - stepping wolf
    the fish cheer - country joe and fish

    great songs counrty joe & fish played at woodstock

    sailorman
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Fizzeler;1719371 said:
    Ohio by CSNY one of my favorite protest songs of all time and I agree protest songs do sound great (good example with For What It's Worth on your part) I think Hendrix had some protest songs, but can not remember any
    Ain't Machine Gun a protest song?
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    cherokeesam;1719542 said:
    GIve Peace A Chance;
    I really don't see how this song could protest anything in any way.
    cherokeesam;1719542 said:

    Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix
    I guess that's my answer.
  • Tman311Tman311 Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    polishdog90;1723621 said:
    If you want to get into modern protest, check out Valient Thorr. They write some great songs.
    Amen to that, Valient Thorr is pretty sick. Their popular protest song is Exit Strategy, but the whole Legends of the World album is filled with protest songs.
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    dingdow;1723900 said:
    how about.......
    monster - stepping wolf
    the fish cheer - country joe and fish

    great songs counrty joe & fish played at woodstock

    sailorman
    I LOVE The Feel-Im-A-Fixin-To-Die-Rag! Long Live Country Joe!
    Oh, and also, not exactly 60's. but Rockin in the Free World
    Oh, and 60's related-Southern Man
  • blackfeltfedorablackfeltfedora Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    I've always been a fan of Maggie's Farm myself
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyp5we2ySDo

    Best protest song ever relating to the Troubles.
  • The-Hawk27The-Hawk27 Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Draft Resister by Steppenwolf
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Ohio by Neil Young is great, if it hasn't been mentioned.
  • 2stroke2stroke Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Sky Pilot-Eric Burdon and The Animals
    WAR-Edwin Starr
    Alice's Restaurant-Arlo Guthrie
Sign In or Register to comment.