Rock Band 3 Setlist - As Balanced as Possible

obsoleteshockobsoleteshock Road Warrior
I think I've finally put together my Ultimate Rock Band 3 Setlist. I took great pains to try to balance it well, even outside of my areas of expertise/enjoyment. What do you guys think? I'm open to changing just a few of these if there are glaring omissions or neglected genres/decades.

Rock Band 3 Setlist

Alternative(12):
Beds are Burning-Midnight Oil 1980's
It's the End of the World-REM 1980's
Walk This World-Heather Nova 1990's
Stars-Hum 1990's
1979-Smashing Pumpkins 1990's
Soundtrack to Mary-Soul Coughing 1990's
Paranoid Android-Radiohead 1990's
Plowed-Sponge 1990's
Volcano Girls-Veruca Salt 1990's
Take Me Out-Franz Ferdinand 2000's
Sometimes Wanna Die-Joydrop 2000's
Pork and Beans-Weezer 2000's

Classic Rock(10):
Like a Rolling Stone-Bob Dylan 1960's
Good Vibrations-The Beach Boys 1960's
All Day and All of the Night-The Kinks 1960's
Sympathy for the Devil-The Rolling Stones 1960's
Substitute-The Who 1960's
Hush-Deep Purple 1970's
Gold Dust Woman-Fleetwood Mac 1970's
Magic Carpet Ride-Steppenwolf 1970's
Under Pressure-David Bowie & Queen 1980's
Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits 1980's

Dance(1):
Rush-Big Audio Dynamite 1980's

Garage Rock(2):
I Wanna Be Your Dog-The Stooges 1970's
Hate to Say I Told You So-The Hives 2000's

Goth(3):
Love Will Tear Us Apart-Joy Division 1980's
Scarecrow-Siouxsie and the Banshees 1980's
Love Song-The Cure 1980's

Grunge(4):
I Stay Away-Alice in Chains 1990's
Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana 1990's
Fell on Black Days-Soundgarden 1990's
Creep-Stone Temple Pilots 1990's

Indie(6):
Yolla Yolla-Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros 1990's
Divorce Song-Liz Phair 1990's
Cut Your Hair-Pavement 1990's
Intervention-Arcade Fire 2000's
Sex on Fire-Kings of Leon 2000's
Gold Lion-Yeah Yeah Yeahs 2000's

Industrial(2):
Head Like a Hole-Nine Inch Nails 1990's
Save Yourself-Stabbing Westward 1990's

Metal(12):
Rainbow in the Dark-Dio 1980's
Symphony of Destruction-Megadeth 1980's
Master of Puppets-Metallica 1980's
Clean My Wounds-Corrosion of Conformity 1990's
Edgecrusher-Fear Factory 1990's
Old-Machine Head 1990's
The Beautiful People-Marilyn Manson 1990's
Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck-Prong 1990's
Ratamahatta-Sepultura 1990's
I'm With Stupid-Static-X 1990's
Ghost of Perdition-Opeth 2000's
Wretch-Protest the Hero 2000's

New Wave(3):
Watching the Detectives-Elvis Costello 1970's
Whip It-Devo 1980's
Once in a Lifetime-Talking Heads 1980's

Pop Rock(5):
Jessie's Girl-Rick Springfield 1980's
Jenny (867-5309)-Tommy Tutone 1980's
Connection-Elastica 1990's
New -No Doubt 1990's
Halfway Home-TV on the Radio 2000's

Post Punk(3):
Where is My Mind?-The Pixies 1980's
Bastards of Young-The Replacements 1980's
One-Armed Scissor-At the Drive-In 2000's

Prog(2):
Tuesday Afternoon-Moody Blues 1970's
Owner of a Lonely Heart-Yes 1980's

Punk(9):
What Do I Get?-The Buzzcocks 1970's
Tommy Gun-The Clash 1970's
TV Party-Black Flag 1980's
Die Die My Darling-The Misfits 1980's
Sick Bed of Chculainn-The Pouges 1980's
The KKK Took My Baby Away-The Ramones 1980's
Time Bomb-Rancid 1990's
New Noise-Refused 1990's
Drunken Lullabies-Flogging Molly 2000's

Rock(7):
Born to Run-Bruce Springsteen 1980's
Photograph-Def Leppard 1980's
Don't Stand So Close to Me-The Police 1980's
Banditos -The Refreshments 1990's
Party Hard-Andrew WK 2000's
Starlight-Muse 2000's
No One Knows-Queens of the Stone Age 2000's

Ska(3):
A Message to You Rudy-The Specials 1970's
Someday I Suppose-Mighty Mighty Bosstones 1990's
Sell Out-Reel Big Fish 1990's

*Edit* - Re-labeled and simplified genre system and replaced a few songs to further balance the setlist.

Comments

• FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    All I say is switch The Police song to Every Breath You Take, The Moody Blues song to Knights In White Satin, and Magic Carpet Ride is a Steppenwolf song otherwise great setlist
    edited December 2008
    Also, and this is not necessary switch The Police genre to New Wave because a majority of their music was New Wave in the 80s
  • jrcronlakersjrcronlakers Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Fizzeler;1721181 said:
    All I say is switch The Police song to Every Breath You Take, The Moody Blues song to Knights In White Satin, and Magic Carpet Ride is a Steppenwolf song otherwise great setlist
    Dude no way Don't Stand So Close is an awesome song. If I remember correctly Sting wrote that song as a base from when he was a teacher and it was the experience of his young students coming on to him or something. So Indiana Jones.
    Any Moody Blues is a welcome. There are other songs from them that would work but this is not my list so I dare not ask for changes. Now if original poster wants requests for future DLC then I will put in my two cents.
  • obsoleteshockobsoleteshock Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    jrcronlakers;1721202 said:
    Dude no way Don't Stand So Close is an awesome song. If I remember correctly Sting wrote that song as a base from when he was a teacher and it was the experience of his young students coming on to him or something. So Indiana Jones.
    Any Moody Blues is a welcome. There are other songs from them that would work but this is not my list so I dare not ask for changes. Now if original poster wants requests for future DLC then I will put in my two cents.
    That's not a bad idea. If you'd like to throw in DLC 3-packs for any of the bands on here we haven't heard from yet, that would be fun.

Also, I changed Magic Carpet Ride. I don't know why I always had that one mixed up. It's even better now that Ted Nugent wasn't involved!
    edited December 2008
    jrcronlakers;1721202 said:
    Agreed on The Police issue the main change is just the Steppenwolf thing that is all I am saying and as for Moody Blues I would love them as DLC as well
    edited December 2008
    obsoleteshock;1721208 said:
    That's not a bad idea. If you'd like to throw in DLC 3-packs for any of the bands on here we haven't heard from yet, that would be fun.

Also, I changed Magic Carpet Ride. I don't know why I always had that one mixed up. It's even better now that Ted Nugent wasn't involved!
    Ok I'll throw in one
    Classic Rock Pack 2:
    Every Breath You Take - The Police
    Knights In White Satin - Moody Blues
    Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
    that would be a great pack to go along with this setlist IMO also, put a classic punk pack on the side with The Ramones, The Clash, and The Stooges although I do not know enough songs by those bands to add any
    edited December 2008
    Fizzeler;1721220 said:
    Ok I'll throw in one
    Classic Rock Pack 2:
    that would be a great pack to go along with this setlist IMO also, put a classic punk pack on the side with The Ramones, The Clash, and The Stooges although I do not know enough songs by those bands to add any
    Well, I'm pretty much saving all Clash songs from London Calling for a potential album download. I also hold out a more distant hope that we'll get their debut album someday, so I'll draw from their other albums/singles for their song.

Punk Pack 02:
    1. The Clash - Bankrobber
    2. The Ramones - Bonzo Goes to Bitburg
    3. The Buzzcocks - Orgasm Addict

The lyrics might cause trouble on the third one, so I'll throw in an alternate:

3. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Carcass
    edited December 2008
    obsoleteshock;1721239 said:
    Well, I'm pretty much saving all Clash songs from London Calling for a potential album download. I also hold out a more distant hope that we'll get their debut album someday, so I'll draw from their other albums for their song.

Punk Pack 02:
    1. The Clash - Bankrobber
    2. The Ramones - Bonzo Goes to Bitburg
    3. The Buzzcocks - Orgasm Addict

The lyrics might cause trouble on the third one, so I'll throw in an alternate:

3. Carcass - Siouxsie and the Banshees
    I will trust you on punk because I know almost nothing about punk and assume you and TheClashTheClashTheClashTheClash know way more about punk than me and know the great punk songs, but when it comes to classic Prog. I think I know a good amount
    edited December 2008
    Fizzeler;1721220 said:
    Ok I'll throw in one
    Classic Rock Pack 2:
    Also, I would DEFINITELY buy that Classic Rock Pack 02. Good job. Though it just goes to show how funny it is that such different music falls under the umbrella of "Classic Rock." The hair bands are starting to land there now, and it's only a matter of time before the early 90's grunge bands start getting classified as "classic rock," too.
    edited December 2008
    obsoleteshock;1721290 said:
    Also, I would DEFINITELY buy that Classic Rock Pack 02. Good job. Though it just goes to show how funny it is that such different music falls under the umbrella of "Classic Rock." The hair bands are starting to land there now, and it's only a matter of time before the early 90's grunge bands start getting classified as "classic rock," too.
    Yes makes me feel backwards that I listen to these bands and I am only 16 and makes my parents feel old(er)
  • a7xforlifea7xforlife Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    pretty good, but some more modern metal and 80's metal and a lot less Alternative/Pop would be great. there were like 30 alternative songs and like 5 metal
    edited December 2008
    a7xforlife;1721347 said:
    pretty good, but some more modern metal and 80's metal and a lot less Alternative/Pop would be great. there were like 30 alternative songs and like 5 metal
    Yes because RB needs so much more metal:rolleyes:
  • a7xforlifea7xforlife Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    THAT RB needs more metal. on DLC i think we're about even on metal
    edited December 2008
    a7xforlife;1721355 said:
    THAT RB needs more metal. on DLC i think we're about even on metal
    I think we are fine on metal for awhile off and on disc
  • bood-boybood-boy Headliner
    edited December 2008
    snap for finger snap your neck by prong

wow.... amazing choice.
    edited December 2008
    Have to add great choice on Under Pressure for classic rock
    edited December 2008
    a7xforlife;1721347 said:
    I put in 10 metal songs/84 total songs for a total of 12% metal, which is way more than new wave, grunge, indie, industrial, ska, prog, goth or post punk. I even have the same number of metal songs as punk songs, which is my favorite genre (the restraint was to keep things balanced). There are only 12 alternative songs, for the record.

That's a higher percentage of metal than Rock Band 1 and about tied with the metal-heavy Rock Band 2. Isn't that about enough/fair? I will take suggesions for 00's metal, however, since I haven't followed the genre since the 90's.
    edited December 2008
    bood-boy;1721376 said:
    snap for finger snap your neck by prong

wow.... amazing choice.
    I was hoping someone would like that one. That's easily one of my favorite metal songs.
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited December 2008
    A lot of good picks. I noticed we share some songs, too. There are some songs I would hate to play (Marilyn Manson), but overall nice job. My one complaint is you could have sorted them in alphabetical order or by decade or genre.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    Nice list. It would be a lot easier on the eyes if it was divided into genres or decades, IMO.
    edited December 2008
    instantdeath999;1722079 said:
    Nice list. It would be a lot easier on the eyes if it was divided into genres or decades, IMO.
    I'll fix it later this evening. Do you guys like grouping by genre the best? I'll probably do genre, followed by decade.
    edited December 2008
    My personal favorite is decade, but I'm sure most people prefer genre.
    edited December 2008
    instantdeath999;1722114 said:
    My personal favorite is decade, but I'm sure most people prefer genre.
    Yeah, it's much easier to get genre balance than decade balance, so I'll probably go with genre, but then I'll do a subsort by decade. I think I might go over the list with a fine-toothed comb and see if I had any major omissions. If so, I might take out a Clash-related song or two (Carbon/Silicon, Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros, Big Audio Dynamite) since I'd love them, but they aren't very realistic.
    edited December 2008
    If you really want to balance it perfectly, you can even add tiers. I'm sure the hardest part of making the setlist is perfectly balancing them out to each tier.
  • Mister-ZMister-Z Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    I like it, though saddening that there's a lack of jazz fusion / blues / bluegrass in it. Very nice job trying to keep the balance in genres, and would be fantastic to balance it through decades as well; keeping it balance in both major fields.
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited December 2008
    instantdeath999;1722170 said:
    If you really want to balance it perfectly, you can even add tiers. I'm sure the hardest part of making the setlist is perfectly balancing them out to each tier.
    I'm gonna try my best to put tiers on my setlist as well.
  • edited December 2008
    Pretty good. I think our lists share about 12 or 13 songs and I can say that you and me are the only ones who have the Mescaleros in our RB3 setlists
  • MdrnDayWarriorMdrnDayWarrior Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    I would put a different Specials song in instead of Message to You Rudy. Maybe Stupid Marriage or Little Bitch?
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Paranoid Android was 1998. Hence 90's.
  • The_Little_BusterThe_Little_Buster Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    The list is decent but for some reason it feels like its lacking, like its missing that extra oomph to it that made the first 2 games awesome. These song choices definitely feel like HMX picks but it could use some bigger song choices to make it more exciting.