Album review - How To.

benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
edited December 2010 in History of Rock
How to format an Album Review.

Hey guys Chris here, I have been seeing alot more interest in the Album review section here lately. Great thing too!
What i was wondering is if we could come up with a format that we could all adhear to.

I believe that HMXHenry's format seems to be the most apealing format.

( I.E. )
Band -
Album -
Label -
Genre -

Thoughts/Opinions -

Track Listing - ( With links to a player, other than You Tube, Some type of External player we could all agree on maybe. )
schmeankman;1775494 said:
I suggest the additon of Henry's famous album art attachment photo as part of the formula?
Remember this is just an idea. You are completely welcome to do your album reviews however you see fit. I only thought about this as a way to keep things from falling into " The songz on dis albumz are de guud, you should listinz ".

Mostly to be more informative, and to show what you really think about the Album that you are reviewing.

Any thoughts?

Chris.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    I like it! And not just because it refers to the crude structure I applied to past reviews, but because I think it's a good stepping stone to crafting a good review with substance. This is no set of rules, and any additional suggestions are more than welcome.
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited January 2009
    schmeankman;1775403 said:
    The external player should me last.fm.
    Sounds Great!
    Perhaps you could P.M. or even post a way to List the songs in full format, i would be all for it, i am a nOOb to last.fm, and haven't found a way to list full tracks, without them being of the 30 second variety.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited January 2009
    benson111;1775443 said:
    Sounds Great!
    Perhaps you could P.M. or even post a way to List the songs in full format, i would be all for it, i am a nOOb to last.fm, and haven't found a way to list full tracks, without them being of the 30 second variety.
    Well, that's where the catch is at, sir.

Depending on the artist there may be full tracks, no songs up for free listen, or all just 30 second clips.

So it would be great for albums with full albums with full tracks but I guess there should be something else for those who don't have those up.

Nevor mind.
    edited January 2009
    schmeankman;1775467 said:
    Well, that's where the catch is at, sir.

Depending on the artist there may be full tracks, no songs up for free listen, or all just 30 second clips.

So it would be great for albums with full albums with full tracks but I guess there should be something else for those who don't have those up.

Nevor mind.
    Still 30 second clips would give people an impression of the Album/Songs at least.

Still a great idea though! ;)
    edited January 2009
    benson111;1775477 said:
    Still 30 second clips would give people an impression of the Album/Songs at least.

Still a great idea though! ;)
    Much obliged and stuff.

May I suggest the additon of Henry's famous album art attachment photo as part of the formula?
    edited January 2009
    schmeankman;1775494 said:
    Much obliged and stuff.

May I suggest the additon of Henry's famous album art attachment photo as part of the formula?
    Indeed. I will add that to the Orig Post!
    With Credits to boot.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Include writing credits and run time, as well as RIAA certification.
    edited January 2009
    timmay9;1775523 said:
    Include writing credits and run time, as well as RIAA certification.
    This is everyones thread, and that sounds like a great idea too! :D
  • nashphx13znashphx13z Super Star
    edited January 2009
    edited January 2009
    nashphx13z;1776179 said:
    Nice idea, benson! :D
    Thanks Nash!! Now get over to that Ozzy site and POST, I said post dangnabit!!
    edited January 2009
    benson111;1776190 said:
    Thanks Nash!! Now get over to that Ozzy site and POST, I said post dangnabit!!
    I think I just will. :D
    edited January 2009
    schmeankman;1776401 said:
    I think I just will. :D
    I saw what you did thar! ;)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited January 2009
    I like using lala.com. You get one listen through on any album they have for free.
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited January 2009
    benson111;1775326 said:
    Track Listing - ( With links to a player, other than You Tube, Some type of External player we could all agree on maybe. )
    you most likely can use www.tinyurl.com for the youtube videos. that way it doesn't embed them.

like this - Hollywood Undead - Undead
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Nice. Well done Benson.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited January 2009
    playlist.com seems the proper player
    edited January 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1797790 said:
    Nice. Well done Benson.
    Thanks. There have been many great ideas included in this thread, i just think it is something we could all agree on to make it easier to focus on our feelings for what it is we are reviewing.

Once again, thank you for the positive feedback guys!

Chris.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    how abstract do you dudes and dudettes feel that a review can be without becoming unhelpful and obnoxious?
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1813301 said:
    how abstract do you dudes and dudettes feel that a review can be without becoming unhelpful and obnoxious?
    As abstract as you want it to be. Even abstract is educational. ;)
  • n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I just had a small idea. Perhaps from here on people could post a poll asking the reader what they would give the album, on a scale of 1-10. This way, it could be seen how the reviewers rating compares to that of others.
    edited January 2009
    n4sc4r;1816943 said:
    I just had a small idea. Perhaps from here on people could post a poll asking the reader what they would give the album, on a scale of 1-10. This way, it could be seen how the reviewers rating compares to that of others.
    Good idea.

I try to respond in there review and tell how i feel about the album. The only drawback i see to that, is that some will skew this by only voting poorly based on there like/dislike of the band in question.

Still a good idea though. ;)
    edited January 2009
    You Spelled Label wrong!!

lol
    edited February 2009
    so, you're not going to fix it. ok
    edited February 2009
    BuRn7 CaK3;1904197 said:
    so, you're not going to fix it. ok
    :rolleyes:

Happy now ? ADD..... Life and me are not perfect. I sure hope you think you are. :)
    edited February 2009
    Noone is perfect... anyone who thinks they are, are living a lie.

And no, i'm not perfect, but i am happier that it is spelled correctly, and sad yet, because it seems that i am the only person who noticed it was spelled incorrectly.
    edited February 2009
    BuRn7 CaK3;1909036 said:
    Noone is perfect... anyone who thinks they are, are living a lie.

And no, i'm not perfect, but i am happier that it is spelled correctly, and sad yet, because it seems that i am the only person who noticed it was spelled incorrectly.
    Some people just dont care as much as you do. ;)
    edited February 2009
    benson111;1909048 said:
    Some people just dont care as much as you do. ;)
    I guess not... lol :D
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited February 2009
    benson111;1775326 said:
    How to format an Album Review.

Hey guys Chris here, I have been seeing alot more interest in the Album review section here lately. Great thing too!
    What i was wondering is if we could come up with a format that we could all adhear to.

I believe that HMXHenry's format seems to be the most apealing format.

( I.E. )
    Band -
    Album -
    Label -
    Genre -

Thoughts/Opinions -

Remember this is just an idea. You are completely welcome to do your album reviews however you see fit. I only thought about this as a way to keep things from falling into " The songz on dis albumz are de guud, you should listinz ".

Mostly to be more informative, and to show what you really think about the Album that you are reviewing.

Any thoughts?

Chris.
    Sorry but what is I.E.?
    edited February 2009
    Bub;1920039 said:
    Sorry but what is I.E.?
    Dn't ask why it's abbreviated like that... but it means "That Is"
    edited February 2009
    Bub;1920039 said:
    Sorry but what is I.E.?
    "That is (to say)", "in other words", or sometimes "in this case", depending on the context. Never equivalent to exempli gratia (e.g.), although frequently so used.

Id est, i.e., "that is", is commonly abbreviated "i.e."; in this usage it is sometimes followed by a comma, depending on style (American English and British English respectively).