What's the best Yes album?

SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
edited April 2013 in History of Rock
I need to know. Please.

Comments

  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    That depends, I think the overall opinion of Yes is that Fragile is their best album while I be the one to disagree.
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Well, this is a thread for your opinion.

    I've been scoundering (should be a word) YouTube videos of them by some great user who posts a lot of their vids, and listened to Heart of the Sunrise from Yessongs. Needless to say, my mind was completely blown when I found out it was live, so I might get that album. Thoughts?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    1. Close to the Edge
    2. The Yes Album
    3. Fragile
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1777072 said:
    1. Close to the Edge
    2. The Yes Album
    3. Fragile
    What he said.

    Even though Close to the Edge only has three songs, it is still awesome.
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Meatwad555;1777131 said:
    What he said.

    Even though Close to the Edge only has three songs, it is still awesome.
    Oh wow, an 18 minute song followed by 18 minutes separated into 2 tracks. Sounds outstanding, I must have it.

    That's pretty much all the convincing I need.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    SputnikDX;1777198 said:
    Oh wow, an 18 minute song followed by 18 minutes separated into 2 tracks. Sounds outstanding, I must have it.

    That's pretty much all the convincing I need.
    It was great to see live too.

    Albums I would recommend:

    Close to the Edge
    The Yes Album
    Tales from Topographic Ocean
    Drama
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    JukeBoxHero;1777883 said:

    Tales from Topographic Ocean
    that would be (IMO) their 4th best album
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    1. Fragile
    2. Close To The Edge
    3. The YES Album

    Prog Epics FTW!!!!
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Just get Close to the Edge.
    One of my favorite prog albums.
  • dady5000dady5000 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Oh my, I just asked this question in my recent thread I just made haha.

    Now I have three albums to look into.
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    franticfish;1779570 said:
    Just get Close to the Edge.
    One of my favorite prog albums.
    I got Close to the Edge and Fragile.

    Roundabout I can't get out of my head. The rest of the songs need more listening.
    As for Close to the Edge, the actual song itself sits a little strangely with me. I absolutely love most of it, especially the "I get up, I get down" parts, but the "Down at the end, round by the corner" part just irks me. I may just need to put in more listening so it grows on me, but the whole tuning of the vocals at that part just seems off, not to mention that lyric just makes me cringe.

    Otherwise, I really like Yes, and I'll likely get Yessongs next.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    For most people, Fragile is a good starting point, but for you Close to the Edge sounds like it's the best choice.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Agreed with people who say The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    SputnikDX;1780610 said:
    I got Close to the Edge and Fragile.

    Roundabout I can't get out of my head. The rest of the songs need more listening.
    As for Close to the Edge, the actual song itself sits a little strangely with me. I absolutely love most of it, especially the "I get up, I get down" parts, but the "Down at the end, round by the corner" part just irks me. I may just need to put in more listening so it grows on me, but the whole tuning of the vocals at that part just seems off, not to mention that lyric just makes me cringe.

    Otherwise, I really like Yes, and I'll likely get Yessongs next.
    Eh lyrics have never been Yes' strong point(although I tend to enjoy them). How about And You and I/Siberian Khatru?
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    JukeBoxHero;1781285 said:
    Eh lyrics have never been Yes' strong point(although I tend to enjoy them). How about And You and I/Siberian Khatru?
    I need to listen to them some more. I listened to And You and I a lot on youtube, but didn't pay attention to it, but so far, no complaints. Siberian Khatru has a catchy intro, but I kinda just faded out of it. I listened to it the night I got it, at night, while sleeping, so yeah...
  • KurtCobain67KurtCobain67 Unsigned
    edited January 2009
  • RevivalBassistRevivalBassist Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Fragile is one of my fave as it was the first Yes album I heard. Over time I got every album and have listened all of them over and over.

    Best? I would say Close To the Edge pips Fragile. Both brilliant albums.

    No one has mentioned any later albums. I know most fans are critical over the late 80's and 90's stuff, but another Yes album I love is Key Studio.

    So, my top 5
    1. Close to the edge
    2. Fragile
    3. Key Studio
    4. The Yes album
    5. Big Generator
  • Byron13Byron13 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    In my opinion, The best Yes albums are (not in any particular order)

    1). Fragile
    2). The Yes album
    3) Close to the edge

    Yes also did A very interesting album entitled Drama. This album didn't have Jon Anderson on Vocals, but Trevor Horn (from the Buggles). It was a little different, with some very vibrant gutair work by Steve Howe.

    Give it a Listen.
  • Gryphon6Gryphon6 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Along with the main 3 (Fragile, Yes album, close to the edge), i also prefer Drama (a little darker than most of yes' material), Big Generator (even though still kind of commercial-sounding after 90125) and Tormato (despite that the band doesn't think much of the album).
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge. Golden trio right there.

    Of course, Going for the One is also great.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    I am a little weird when it comes to my Yes albums. See, when I was a youngman I would find albums with covers that would appeal to me and I would buy the albums, often based on nothing but the album cover.

    My first ever Yes album was Tormato. That was my very first Yes album and to me it is still my favorite. Most people hate it, though. I bought it in '79

    To be even weirder, my second favorite is Drama which came out in '80.

    Then I started checking back catalog...

    My personal Top albums are

    Tormato
    Drama
    Fragile
    90125
    The Yes Album
    Close to the Edge
    ...

    To this day, I still can not get into "Tales..."
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited August 2009
    RevivalBassist;2833702 said:
    Fragile is one of my fave as it was the first Yes album I heard. Over time I got every album and have listened all of them over and over.

    Best? I would say Close To the Edge pips Fragile. Both brilliant albums.

    No one has mentioned any later albums. I know most fans are critical over the late 80's and 90's stuff, but another Yes album I love is Key Studio.

    So, my top 5
    1. Close to the edge
    2. Fragile
    3. Key Studio
    4. The Yes album
    5. Big Generator
    Hey, why you bump the thread? Anyway I do enjoy later Yes I just haven't gotten any of the later stuff yet.

    Sayburr:I still don't see why people hate on Drama. Sure it didn't have Jon Anderson, but I would rank it very highly in the top five zone.(Great progressive rock going on there).
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited August 2009
    The Yes album is my favorite
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2009
    Sayburr;2853285 said:

    To this day, I still can not get into "Tales..."
    wow, a Sayburr sighting in HoR!!!


    and :( about Tales...
  • Lango32Lango32 Unsigned
    edited February 2011
    'Yessongs' may well be the best live album ever recorded. I own all the Yes albums and whilst I believe 'Close to the Edge' to be the best studio album 'Yessongs' might well prove to be the best overall representation of their work. Several of the tracks on 'Yessongs' are performed better live than on the original albums as they are looser and more penetrating with the atmosphere of the crowd adding an extra edge without distracting from the power of the performance (which live albums often do). So in answer to the original question I would say:
    1) Yessongs
    2) Close to the Edge
    3) The Yes Album
    4) Fragile
  • progmeisterprogmeister Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I can't believe that there's been a discussion about the best Yes album spanning three pages and there's not one single mention of 'Relayer'!!! Big generator - yes; Relayer - no. Eh?? Having said that, I'm not sure that 'Relayer' is my absolute favourite Yes album, but it's certainly in the top three or four. For my money 'The Yes album', 'Fragile', 'Close to the Edge' and 'Relayer' are all so close, it's probably pointless to try and choose between them.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited September 2012
  • progmeisterprogmeister Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Aye, probably. OK, you've twisted my arm -- 'Close to the edge' it is!
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    The Yes debut album is pretty fantastic for when it came out! Also check out music the band Chicago had going for them around the time of the first Yes album.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited September 2012
    I love Fragile, but I suppose that is their most "mainstream" album. Other than that, it really is a toss up between The Yes Album and Close to the Edge for me.
Sign In or Register to comment.