Shades of Genesis thread

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
With a request from the Community and the somewhat success of the Shades of Fleetwood Mac thread, these will be done every week, this week its: GENESIS! (future will be RHCP and AC/DC)

Genesis went through two generations between the progressive era with Peter Gabriel and the pop-rock era with Phil Collins

let's hear everyone's favs!

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    I prefer Collins-era.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    The more I listen to Genesis, the more Hackett appeals to me. His guitar riffs are very innovative and original. They're never on the easy side but they blend very well with the other instruments.

Rutherford is also good, especially considering that he plays multiple instruments.

I believe Collins was great at drums (not that his voice is bad but...). I especially like his drum work on Dancing with the Moonlight Knight.

Gabriel had a decent voice (not especially good at the time), but what makes him so special is his presence live. One word: Flower. Lol.

No need to specify that I prefer their first era, lol.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Peter Gabriel's voice is all about what it conveys, and with that said, his voice is phenomenal. He didn't have a great range, but dammit, you could feel EVERY little feeling he was trying to express.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    i also like both eras, but i think gabriel totally trounces collins.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    I like Gabriel because my favorite album by them is The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, but I also, like a great amount of material from the Collins era
    These would be my favorites from the Collins Era:
    The entire Duke album
    Entire Abacab album as well
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I like both eras of singers. For those who don't remember, Phil was the drummer and back up singer through most of the Peter singing era, so it's kinda lame to seperate or say Phil wasn't part of the "prog" era of Genesis.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    Sargehalo51;1784350 said:
    I like both eras of singers. For those who don't remember, Phil was the drummer and back up singer through most of the Peter singing era, so it's kinda lame to seperate or say Phil wasn't part of the "prog" era of Genesis.
    we arent saying that Collins wasn't part of the prog era, by saying gabriel and collins era we are differentiating who was leading the band at the time
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, and then after Phil left we just disown Genesis.
    edited January 2009
    Sargehalo51;1784350 said:
    Yeah, of course, I think it's just more simple to use the singer's name .
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1785039 said:
    we arent saying that Collins wasn't part of the prog era, by saying gabriel and collins era we are differentiating who was leading the band at the time
    Got it...sorry for the mis-understanding on my part.
    edited January 2009
    Sargehalo51;1786556 said:
    Got it...sorry for the mis-understanding on my part.
    its cool dude, no worries:D
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I love both eras of Genesis equally. Am I the only person who likes Peter Gabriel's solo career better than Genesis (regardless of frontman), though?
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Runesmith;1786601 said:
    I love both eras of Genesis equally. Am I the only person who likes Peter Gabriel's solo career better than Genesis (regardless of frontman), though?
    I know Old Fogey does:
    Me: I find it funny that Peter Gabriel was more famous without Genesis, and vice versa

Fogey: Ah, but Peter Gabriel was BETTER without Genesis. Is the converse true?
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Runesmith;1786601 said:
    If schiz doesn't mind it might be kind of interesting to talk about solo careers too. I've got 1 or 2 Peter Gabriel c.d.'s....off the top of my head "Solsbury Hill" ranks at the top of the list as one of my favorite songs from him.

I bought the GTR c.d. for "When the Heart Rules the Mind" (Steve Hackett)

I don't remember buying anything from Mike & the Mechanics unless it's something that's on a comp. c.d. (Mike Rutherford).

I've got quite a few Phil Collins c.d.'s (I won't mention my favorites :p).
    edited January 2009
    sg327;1786787 said:
    If schiz doesn't mind it might be kind of interesting to talk about solo careers too. I've got 1 or 2 Peter Gabriel c.d.'s....off the top of my head "Solsbury Hill" ranks at the top of the list as one of my favorite songs from him.

I bought the GTR c.d. for "When the Heart Rules the Mind" (Steve Hackett)

I don't remember buying anything from Mike & the Mechanics unless it's something that's on a comp. c.d. (Mike Rutherford).

I've got quite a few Phil Collins c.d.'s (I won't mention my favorites :p).
    nope, I don't mind that's what the thread is for :D
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1786817 said:
    nope, I don't mind that's what the thread is for :D
    I knew you wouldn't :D.
    edited January 2009
    I would personally be happy to get DLC of Genesis of any era, Peter solo, and Phil solo.

I think playing "I Don't Care Anymore" on drums would be simply awsome (since I am now thinking of Phil solo).
    edited January 2009
    Sargehalo51;1787002 said:
    I would personally be happy to get DLC of Genesis of any era, Peter solo, and Phil solo.

I think playing "I Don't Care Anymore" on drums would be simply awsome (since I am now thinking of Phil solo).
    though I like Phil solo, I don't see why everyone wants "In the Air Tonight"
    on the radio they interviewed Phil and he said the drumming was so boring that he had to program a drum machine to do it because no drummer could play that monotone beat throughout the song
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1787010 said:
    on the radio they interviewed Phil and he said the drumming was so boring that he had to program a drum machine to do it because no drummer could play that monotone beat throughout the song
    I agree with you on that one. There are so many better songs to drum between Genesis and Phil.
    edited January 2009
    Sargehalo51;1787209 said:
    I agree with you on that one. There are so many better songs to drum between Genesis and Phil.
    agreed

maybe I Missed Again, Take Me Home, or Don't Lose My Number for Phil solo

Red Rain, Salisbury Hill, or Steam for Gabriel solo

I Can't Dance, Just A Job, or Land of Confusion for pop-Genesis

and Supper's Ready, Dancing With the Moonlit Knight, or The Knife for prog-Genesis

make a good pack
    edited January 2009
    Abacab is really a awesome album, its nothing great artistically or anything. But its entertaining. :)
    edited January 2009
    Gowienczyk;1787243 said:
    Abacab is really a awesome album, its nothing great artistically or anything. But its entertaining. :)
    agreed
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1787248 said:
    agreed
    From my experience the album gets a lot of bad face for some reason.
    edited January 2009
    Gowienczyk;1787259 said:
    From my experience the album gets a lot of bad face for some reason.
    because it isnt as catchy as Invisible Touch and isn't as artsy as Lamb Lies Down on Broadway :p
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1787267 said:
    because it isnt as catchy as Invisible Touch and isn't as artsy as Lamb Lies Down on Broadway :p
    :rolleyes:
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1787010 said:
    Drummers are annoying with that. Some songs require boring druming. You can't have a ballade with a YYZ druming or whatever (unless you want to be very original).

But I agree, In the Air Tonight would be boring in Rock Band. lol.
    edited January 2009
    Insane3;1788439 said:
    Drummers are annoying with that. Some songs require boring druming. You can't have a ballade with a YYZ druming or whatever (unless you want to be very original).

But I agree, In the Air Tonight would be boring in Rock Band. lol.
    oh yeah, i like songs with boring drumming sometimes, b/c as u said, sometimes its necessary, but tons of people always tell me that its his best drum song and whatnot, and, well, its terribly boring for drumming, lol