An attempt at a balanced Setlist

Robby_RathboneRobby_Rathbone Rising Star
edited March 2009 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Okay. I tried my best at a balanced setlist in both content, playability, and difficulty. Please let me know what you think.

WARM-UP SONGS
Twist of Cain - Danzig (Heavy Metal 80's)
Walking with a Ghost - Tegan and Sara (Pop Rock 00's)
Linger - The Cranberries (Rock 90's)
Party Hard - Andrew W.K. (Hard Rock 00's)
The Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim (Big Beat/Rock 90's)
Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana (Grunge 90's)
Pork and Beans - Weezer (Alternative 00's)
Keep Your Hands to Yourself - Georgia Satellites (Southern Rock 80's)
Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!) - Garbage (Pop Rock 00's)
Far Behind - Candlebox (Post-Grunge 90's)
Pepper - Butthole Surfers (Alternative 90's)
Vindicated - Dashboard Confessional (Alternative 00's)
(You Gotta) Fight for You Right - Beastie Boys (Rapcore 80's)

APPRENTICE SONGS
Roadhouse Blues - Doors (Rock 70's)
House of the Rising Sun - Animals (Rock 60's)
Wonderboy - Tenacious D (Rock 00's)
Heart of Glass - Blondie (New Wave 80's)
Angry Chair - Alice In Chains (Grunge 90's)
Old Time Rock and Roll - Bob Seger (Rock 70's)
Surfin' USA - Beach Boys (Surf Rock 60's)
Shine - Collective Soul (Alternative 90's)
I Believe in a Thing Called Love - The Darkness (Glam 00's)
Change (In the House of Flies) - Deftones (Alternative 90's)
I Alone - Live (Alternative 90's)
Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane (Rock 60's)
London Calling - The Clash (Punk 70's)

SOLID SONGS
Drift Away - Dobie Gray (Rock 70's)
You Give Love A Bad Name - Bon Jovi (Glam 80's)
Cumbersome - Seven Mary Three (Post-Grunge 90's)
Can't Stop - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Alternative 00's)
Magic Man - Heart (Hard Rock 70's)
Bring Me to Life - Evanescence (Hard Rock 00's)
Beast of Burden - The Rolling Stones (Rock 70's)
Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty (Rock 80's)
Pinhead - Ramones (Punk 70's)
Rain - The Cult (Rock 80's)
The Hanging Garden - The Cure (Goth Rock 80's)
Centerfold - J. Geils Band (Rock 70's)
Deuce - Kiss (Rock 70's)

MODERATE SONGS
White Room - Cream (Rock 60's)
Buick MacKane - T. Rex (Glam 70's)
Girls, Girls, Girls - Motley Crue (Glam 80's)
The Impression That I Get - Mighty Mighty Bosstones (Ska 90's)
No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age (Hard Rock 00's)
Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin (Hard Rock 60's)
March of Mephisto - Kamelot (Symphonic Metal 00's)
Creeping In - SOJA (Reggae 00's)
Out All Night - The Pietasters (Ska 90's)
Daughter - Pearl Jam (Grunge 90's)
Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen (Rock 70's)
Fire Woman - Bad Company (Rock 70's)
Atomic Garden - Bad Religion (Punk Rock 90's)

CHALLENGING SONGS
Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix (Hard Rock 60's)
Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie (Glam 70's)
Nightrain - Guns 'N' Roses (Hard Rock 80's)
Surprise! You're Dead! - Faith No More (Heavy Metal 80's)
Rain Wizard - Black Stone Cherry (Hard Rock 00's)
Wynona's Big Brown Beaver - Primus (Alternative Funk 90's)
Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf (Rock 60's)
Outshined - Soundgarden (Grunge 90's)
The Pot - Tool (Hard Rock 00's)
Electric Funeral - Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal 70's)
Gravemakers & Gunslingers - Coheed and Cambria (New Prog 00's)
The Siren - Nightwish (Prog Metal 00's)
Keep Away - Godsmack (Hard Rock 00's)

NIGHTMARE SONGS

Rocker - AC/DC (Hard Rock 70's)
Buy Anyway - Blues Traveler (Blues-Rock 90's)
Spot the Psycho - Cornbugs (Alternative Metal 90's)
Under a Glass Moon - Dream Theater (Prog Metal 90's)
Rose of Sharyn - Killswitch Engaged (Metalcore 00's)
Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin (Hard Rock 60's)
Inertiatic Esp - Mars Volta (New Prog 00's)
Nitro (Youth Energy) - Offspring (Punk Rock 90's)
Ghost Riders in the Sky - Outlaws (Southern Rock 80's)
Mr. Crowley - Ozzy Osbourne (Heavy Metal 80's)
Mezmer - Pinkly Smooth (Alternative Metal 00's)
Spirit of the Radio - Rush (Prog Rock 80's)
Motor City Madhouse - Ted Nugent (Hard Rock 70's)

IMPOSSIBLE SONGS
Whipping Post - The Allman Brothers (Blues Rock 60's)
Metalingus - Alter Bridge (Hard Rock 00's)
Brainstorm - Arctic Monkeys (Indie Rock 00's)
Shut Off the Light - Betty Davis (Funk 70's)
Bat Country - Avenged Sevenfold (Hard Rock 00's)
Controlled by Hatred - Suicidal Tendencies (Thrash Metal 80's)
My Sweet Shadow - In Flames (Melodic Death Metal 00's)
Die With Your Boots On - Iron Maiden (Heavy Metal 80's)
Abigail - King Diamond (Black Metal 80's)
Washington Is Next! - Megadeth (Thrash Metal 00's)
Dig - Mudvayne (Alternative Metal 00's)
Black Betty - Ram Jam (Southern Rock 70's)
Killing Fields - Slayer (Thrash Metal 90's)

Well...there you have it. Please leave comments. If you are not sure what a song is and do not feel like looking it up, I can post it for you.

Thanks.

Comments

• overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    A "balanced setlist" without a single Indie Rock song...?
  • Robby_RathboneRobby_Rathbone Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Actually...there is one...technically two if you count Tegan and Sara.
  • Icarus599Icarus599 Banned
    edited January 2009
    I more or less like it. Fairly good selection of songs, fairly varied and interesting.

One thing that caught me was "The Siren". I don't think I've ever seen anyone request that specific song, would be ... interesting on vocals.
    edited January 2009
    Icarus599;1786250 said:
    I more or less like it. Fairly good selection of songs, fairly varied and interesting.

One thing that caught me was "The Siren". I don't think I've ever seen anyone request that specific song, would be ... interesting on vocals.
    Thanks for the reply...yes I thought an interesting choice as well...although maybe there are better songs to select from. Still, good to see Nightwish represented I think.
  • Draw_First_BloodDraw_First_Blood Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Isn't Closer on DLC?

+1 on Slayer, King Diamond, Danzig, Allman Brothers, and Suicidal Tendencies choices

-1 on Pantera(very very very very very repetitive and one of those songs that I'm sick of seeing little kids try to play on guitar because A7X covered it), Black Sabbath (that IS my favorite song by them, but it'd be incredibly boring), Megadeth(even on United Abominations its not the best song. But still don't go any further than Countdown to Extinction), The Doors (do-dodo-dodo-dodedede, and repeat for 3 minutes), Motley Crue (Look at their first album, Girls Girls Girls was a sign they were getting poppy), and Weezer (The band is alright, but don't choose Pork and Beans for the sake of 00 songs) choices.

This is still an above-decent list, so good job. The problem with being completely balanced is that there will only be a few songs for each person, which is why I've always liked the Guitar Hero 1, 2, and even 3 songs the most instead of Rock Band songs because most of it was hard rock in one way or another, instead of mixing it up with every common genre. I'd still have fun because it's balanced so there's always something I like, but I still have to suffer through most of it, and I'll end up just playing the same 5 on-disc songs over and over
    edited January 2009
    Draw_First_Blood;1786599 said:
    Isn't Closer on DLC?

+1 on Slayer, King Diamond, Danzig, Allman Brothers, and Suicidal Tendencies choices

-1 on Pantera(very very very very very repetitive and one of those songs that I'm sick of seeing little kids try to play on guitar because A7X covered it), Black Sabbath (that IS my favorite song by them, but it'd be incredibly boring), Megadeth(even on United Abominations its not the best song. But still don't go any further than Countdown to Extinction), The Doors (do-dodo-dodo-dodedede, and repeat for 3 minutes), Motley Crue (Look at their first album, Girls Girls Girls was a sign they were getting poppy), and Weezer (The band is alright, but don't choose Pork and Beans for the sake of 00 songs) choices.

This is still an above-decent list, so good job. The problem with being completely balanced is that there will only be a few songs for each person, which is why I've always liked the Guitar Hero 1, 2, and even 3 songs the most instead of Rock Band songs because most of it was hard rock in one way or another, instead of mixing it up with every common genre. I'd still have fun because it's balanced so there's always something I like, but I still have to suffer through most of it, and I'll end up just playing the same 5 on-disc songs over and over
    Thanks. I agree with almost everything you said...a couple things.

Walk...just a metal classic, which is why I chose it. There isn't a song on this earth that makes me want to punch someone in the face as much as Walk does. Anyways, just a personal choice of mine.

I have to disagree with you with Washington is Next! As a longtime Megadeth fan I must say that this is one of their more technical and difficult songs from a guitar perspective and I wanted a song that was a sure thing Impossible song for guitar, bass, and drums and I think this fills that void.

Everything else you said I agree with. Although, I must say that sometime Rock Band has surprised with bands that I never thought I'd like (like Modest Mouse for instance) and then I get more into those bands. Anyways, thanks again for the post.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    HAHA~ You're putting Octavarium on your list? Seriously?
    You really think someone who isn't a Dream Theater fan is going to want to play a 24 minute song?

Also~ seriously, one Indie song?
    edited January 2009
    jayou521;1786673 said:
    You really think someone who isn't a Dream Theater fan is going to want to play a 24 minute song?

Also~ seriously, one Indie song?
    Shoot...I actually forgot it was that long. I only have a partial copy on my IPOD. Thanks for that...now I'll have to find something else. Maybe Pull Me Under.

I will restate that I have 2 indie songs ;), sorry, didn't really think it qualified as its only genre really...I just thought indie sort of rolled in with everything else. I mean it has an alternative or pop type sound usually, so probably why I didn't think about it. I apologize to all you indie fans out there.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Robby_Rathbone;1786706 said:
    Shoot...I actually forgot it was that long. I only have a partial copy on my IPOD. Thanks for that...now I'll have to find something else. Maybe Pull Me Under.

I will restate that I have 2 indie songs ;), sorry, didn't really think it qualified as its only genre really...I just thought indie sort of rolled in with everything else. I mean it has an alternative or pop type sound usually, so probably why I didn't think about it. I apologize to all you indie fans out there.
    No problem~ but I think there are better Dream Theater songs off of Images and Words to choose from.
    edited January 2009
    jayou521;1786734 said:
    No problem~ but I think there are better Dream Theater songs off of Images and Words to choose from.
    Thanks and will do...
  • deevineh8treddeevineh8tred Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    in flames=win.

i think an older song would be better for the tier you put them in. i love my sweet shadow, but the guitar is pretty basic, if i had to choose an in flames song for the impossible songs tier then i would go with something like december flower.
  • Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I think a few difficulties may be mixed up (Tom Petty should not be that far down and ziggy stardust should not be that high) but its not bad.

Terrible choice of Maiden song though..... A good song but theres just so many that would make a much better one. Aces High. Hallowed Be Thy Name. Can I play with Madness, 2 Minutes to Midnight, ect

a handfull of things do come to mind. 1st of all, theres too many bands that they WONT get (Petty, Zep, Pantera, Maiden, a few more) 2ndly, while you chose alot fo well known bands, you really didnt choose very many well known songs to the public (ex Nighttrain over Paradise City or Rocker over Hells Bells or something)
  • Teh_JakesterTeh_Jakester Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Robby_Rathbone;1785696 said:
    Walk - Pantera (Groove Metal 90's)
    Erg. Walk would be terrible for the guitarist. It's three notes, repeated for until a solo that isn't particularly interesting. ANY other Pantera song would be more fun for everyone, actually. Domination, Five Minutes Alone, Cemetary Gates and Cowboys from Hell are prominent examples.
    Bobman32x;1787994 said:
    (ex Nighttrain over Paradise City or Rocker over Hells Bells or something)
    Those were two of his best choices for God's sake. Listen to the songs before complaining.
    edited January 2009
    Teh_Jakester;1788028 said:

Those were two of his best choices for God's sake. Listen to the songs before complaining.
    Thanks, I know there are a few choices (like Walk...see earlier in the thread) that are just personal choices. Plus, after having listened to different bands talk about playing Walk in their sets just out of respect to Pantera, I feel like Rock Band could do the same to honor them. I know it's repetitive, but it to me...its a classic metal song.
    edited January 2009
    Bobman32x;1787994 said:
    (ex Nighttrain over Paradise City or Rocker over Hells Bells or something)
    Well...no offense but Nighttrain to me is a way better song in general and a WAY better song for Rock Band. Also, Hells Bells is in the AC/DC Track Pack...so people are already playing it.

But thank you for the honest feedback. I also went back and listened to Runnin' Down a Dream again, and the only thing hard in that song would be the guitar. Everything else would be fairly easy, hence why it's rated so low.
    edited January 2009
    Robby_Rathbone;1788141 said:
    Thanks, I know there are a few choices (like Walk...see earlier in the thread) that are just personal choices. Plus, after having listened to different bands talk about playing Walk in their sets just out of respect to Pantera, I feel like Rock Band could do the same to honor them. I know it's repetitive, but it to me...its a classic metal song.
    The repetitiveness of it would make it only work as DLC, to fans of the band/song. More people who don't like Pantera would accept other songs as an on-disc song. You can make a DLC pack with it in it.
    The whole point of DLC is to include popular songs only half the world wants to play, and the other half loathes, and to introduce less-popular music, too.
    edited January 2009
    Teh_Jakester;1788169 said:
    The repetitiveness of it would make it only work as DLC, to fans of the band/song. More people who don't like Pantera would accept other songs as an on-disc song. You can make a DLC pack with it in it.
    The whole point of DLC is to include popular songs only half the world wants to play, and the other half loathes, and to introduce less-popular music, too.
    Good point...I have a couple of songs in mind to replace it that are in the same difficulty category.
    edited January 2009
    There...swapped Walk for Surprise! You're Dead! Since they are similar difficulties and genres.
    edited January 2009
    I just realised that you're putting Glam Rock and Glam Metal as the same genre. There really should be some kind of distinction, but that's just nit-picking.
    As is this!: Mr. Crowley doesn't have any playable instruments for the first fifty seconds and they aren't exactly interesting until the solos. And the vocals are kind of... lifeless... with odd lyrics. Can't believe I missed that! I must be off today.
    edited January 2009
    Teh_Jakester;1788252 said:
    I just realised that you're putting Glam Rock and Glam Metal as the same genre. There really should be some kind of distinction, but that's just nit-picking.
    As is this!: Mr. Crowley doesn't have any playable instruments for the first fifty seconds and they aren't exactly interesting until the solos. And the vocals are kind of... lifeless... with odd lyrics. Can't believe I missed that! I must be off today.
    Solos are pretty tough in that one. Again, I'm sure you're saying that its a DLC song. We have songs on disc with at least 30 seconds of just keyboard, so I didn't think it'd be that big of deal.

Can I please ask which songs you DO like :D...so that I can take a better look at which ones I should keep and which ones should probably go, especially since this setlist will continue to change with the feedback I receive.
    edited January 2009
    Um, okay:
    Robby_Rathbone;1785696 said:
    OHeart Shaped Box - Nirvana (Grunge 90's)
    Angry Chair - Alice In Chains (Grunge 90's)
    You Give Love A Bad Name - Bon Jovi (Glam 80's)
    Can't Stop - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Alternative 00's)
    Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty (Rock 80's)
    White Room - Cream (Rock 60's)
    Girls, Girls, Girls - Motley Crue (Glam 80's)
    No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age (Hard Rock 00's)
    Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen (Rock 70's)
    Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix (Hard Rock 60's)
    Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie (Glam 70's)
    Nightrain - Guns 'N' Roses (Hard Rock 80's)
    Electric Funeral - Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal 70's)
    Rocker - AC/DC (Hard Rock 70's)
    Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin (Hard Rock 60's)
    Whipping Post - The Allman Brothers (Blues Rock 60's)
    Die With Your Boots On - Iron Maiden (Heavy Metal 80's)
    Black Betty - Ram Jam (Southern Rock 70's)
    There are others that I kind of like, and most of the others (that I've heard), whether I like them or not, would be fun enough.
    edited January 2009
    Teh_Jakester;1788334 said:
    Um, okay:

There are others that I kind of like, and most of the others (that I've heard), whether I like them or not, would be fun enough.
    Thank you very much. I appreciate that. Anyone else have some feedback?
  • supersonic1414supersonic1414 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Lot of good stuff on there...Not bad
    edited January 2009
    supersonic1414;1788383 said:
    Lot of good stuff on there...Not bad
    Anything you absolutely don't want?
  • sitbooboositsitbooboosit Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Not bad at all, Gravemakers and Gunslingers would be sick on guitar.
  • StewieStewie Stewie Star
    edited January 2009
    Pretty good list. You really know your Classic Rock.
    edited January 2009
    Stewie;1793424 said:
    Pretty good list. You really know your Classic Rock.
    Hey thanks...in my opinion, it is classic rock that should drive a set-list because it was songs then that influence music of today.
  • ajABEajABE Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    jayou521;1786673 said:
    I'd be the most estatic person on the planet if I could play that song in RB.
    edited January 2009
    As someone stated earlier...Closer is already available as DLC so I replaced it with March of Mephisto by Kamelot.
  • norsendenorsende Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    With a quick glance it looked really balanced and 'realistic', that it could actually be a nice setlist of a music game. I don't understand why people are crying so much (OMG WHY U INCLUDE DAT SONG LUL I HATE IT SO REMOVE). Stupid.