Bands You Didn't Think Were Christian

altair1121altair1121 Opening Act
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
What are some bands that most people wouldn't think are Christian/composed of Christian members, but they actually are?

I heard these 2 today: Dream Theater(a few of the members, including the singer, are Christians), and Killswitch Engage. Wouldn't have guessed. ;)

Comments

  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Megadeth, Iron Maiden.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Gorgoroth.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited January 2009
    catholic... SLAYER
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Heloween, Blind Gaurdian, Linkin Park.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I don't see what is so surprising about bands with christian members. It is the biggest religion in the world, you're bound to have a lot of bands with christian members.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Yet when a member is Atheist or Satanist, the band is bound to lose thousands of fans.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    supernova1324;1789512 said:
    I don't see what is so surprising about bands with christian members. It is the biggest religion in the world, you're bound to have a lot of bands with christian members.
    Quoted for truth
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Oscar-Rio;1789497 said:
    catholic... SLAYER
    I remember hearing about that a while back. I lost alot of respect for Slayer that day.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    back_blows;1789721 said:
    I remember hearing about that a while back. I lost alot of respect for Slayer that day.
    For having a Christian vocalist? I mean, he doesn't write, so it's not like he's a hypocrite.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    instantdeath999;1789772 said:
    For having a Christian vocalist? I mean, he doesn't write, so it's not like he's a hypocrite.
    Well for one thing, Araya did write some of Slayer's songs, but it's still misrepresentation as far as I'm concerned.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited January 2009
    back_blows;1789721 said:
    I remember hearing about that a while back. I lost alot of respect for Slayer that day.
    it's only Araya who's catholic. I'm pretty sure Kerry King does not adhere to any religion.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    supernova1324;1789512 said:
    I don't see what is so surprising about bands with christian members. It is the biggest religion in the world, you're bound to have a lot of bands with christian members.
    really? I could swear Islam was the biggest...
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1789993 said:
    really? I could swear Islam was the biggest...
    http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

    On topic, Prince.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1790000 said:
    that's a pretty skewed grouping of variance of Christianity. They are very, very different from each other. Whatever.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Oscar-Rio;1790242 said:
    that's a pretty skewed grouping of variance of Christianity. They are very, very different from each other. Whatever.
    Well, it is of groups who concider themselves Christians, but as you said, whatever.
  • packerfan8675309packerfan8675309 Bladder of Steal
    edited January 2009
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1790000 said:
    Prince is a JW.

    And just for the record a band with "Christian" members doesn't necasarily make it a "Christian Band".

    Alice Cooper is a born again Christian but I wouldn't say his music is overtly Christian in the way that say Stryper is.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Oscar-Rio;1789497 said:
    catholic... SLAYER
    I knew it the ultimate path to metal. Something that boring must produce something awesome.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Oscar-Rio;1789946 said:
    it's only Araya who's catholic. I'm pretty sure Kerry King does not adhere to any religion.
    Kerry is Atheist, I believe.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    supernova1324;1789512 said:
    I don't see what is so surprising about bands with christian members. It is the biggest religion in the world, you're bound to have a lot of bands with christian members.
    I'm pretty sure that's Islam or Bhuddism.
    instantdeath999;1789519 said:
    Yet when a member is Atheist or Satanist, the band is bound to lose thousands of fans.
    It's a well known fact that Chrisitans are attracted to anything that has anything at all do to with good, wholesome, Christian values, and unattracted to anything that doesn't.

    The other day in class, when someone mentioned "good Christian home" I wanted to yell "WHAT THE **** MAKES IT BETTER THEN A NON-CHRISTIAN HOME?!"

    Hell, if someone made a Christian Devil, people'd buy it.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Quinarvy said:
    I'm pretty sure that's Islam or Bhuddism.
    Check my link earlier in the thread.
    AxlVanHagar;1790433 said:
    Prince is a JW.
    JW's are concidered Christians, Axl. At least the link said that JW's concider themselves that way.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Quinarvy;1790727 said:


    The other day in class, when someone mentioned "good Christian home" I wanted to yell "WHAT THE **** MAKES IT BETTER THEN A NON-CHRISTIAN HOME?!"

    Yeah, a religion attachment shouldn't exemplify that it better from any other good house that follows another religion.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    JukeBoxHero;1790798 said:
    Yeah, a religion attachment shouldn't exemplify that it better from any other good house that follows another religion.
    To make it better, it was during a speech on video game violence, and about how it doesn't make people crazy. The exact line was..."What if someone grew up in a good Christian home and played a violent video game, they wouldn't be gun crazy."

    I wanted to bring up that Pastors son who shot his parents for not letting him play GTAIV, but decided not too.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Quinarvy;1790822 said:
    To make it better, it was during a speech on video game violence, and about how it doesn't make people crazy. The exact line was..."What if someone grew up in a good Christian home and played a violent video game, they wouldn't be gun crazy."

    I wanted to bring up that Pastors son who shot his parents for not letting him play GTAIV, but decided not too.
    I think bringing that up might make his/her argument go down the toilet. I think it best when trying to debate(when I do that is) to rid myself of any bias to present a clear response on the question/situation.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1790754 said:
    Check my link earlier in the thread.



    JW's are concidered Christians, Axl. At least the link said that JW's concider themselves that way.
    Then how come they have their own bible and places of worship?
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1791593 said:
    Then how come they have their own bible and places of worship?
    Sects can have their own places of worship. Theres tons of baptist/roman catholic/etc. churchs for good comparison.
  • svartikinssvartikins Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    altair1121;1789444 said:
    Dream Theater(a few of the members, including the singer, are Christians)
    The other two are Jewish. (Random fact of the day.)

    It's really not surprising that some bands do have Christian members. Yes, with some bands it's kind of a WTF? moment, but you know.

    However, I really don't see why it matters. If I like the band, I'll listen to them regardless of what religion they are and whether or not I agree with said religion's beliefs.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    The only time that it's gonna affect me is if it is aggressive promotion of the religion. I don't mind some worship music, which can be beautiful, but stuff that goes out of it's way to convert or criticise others, that's ridiculous,
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    instantdeath999;1789519 said:
    Yet when a member is Atheist or Satanist, the band is bound to lose thousands of fans.
    And gain thousands in its wake. A lot of people still listen to tool.
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Oscar-Rio;1790242 said:
    that's a pretty skewed grouping of variance of Christianity. They are very, very different from each other. Whatever.
    Hinduism has at least as much variance as Christianity. Islam has major internal differences too. Christianity is just the one that you know the most about.
Sign In or Register to comment.