Doom!

schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
I'd like some album suggestions for:

the Obsessed
Saint Vitus
Goatsnake
the Hidden Hand
Weedeater
Electric Wizard
Spirit Caravan
Place of Skulls

and doom-y band's that are teh similar.

Comments

  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Agalloch is my favorite.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    schmeankman;1795005 said:
    I'd like some album suggestions for:

    the Obsessed
    Saint Vitus
    Goatsnake (Flower of Disease)
    the Hidden Hand
    Weedeater (...And Justice for Y'all, God Luck and Good Speed)
    Electric Wizard
    Spirit Caravan
    Place of Skulls

    and doom-y band's that are teh similar.
    My suggestions?

    Bongzilla (Amerijuanican, Gateway)
    Candlemass (King of the Grey Islands)
    Eyehategod (Dopesick)
    Fudge Tunnel (Hate Songs in E Minor, Creep Diets)
    Iron Monkey (Iron Monkey, Our Problem)
    Orange Goblin (Big Black, Coup De Grace)
    Pagan Altar (Lords of Hypocrisy)
    16 (Bridges to Burn)
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    the Obsessed (Lunar Womb)
    Saint Vitus (Hallow's Victim or Born Too Late)
    Electric Wizard (Come My Fanatics...)
    Spirit Caravan (Jug Fulla Sun)

    Check out Sleep, Om, and Earth.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    My personal favourite Vitus album is V. Goatsnake sort of suck.
    Electric Wizard's best is probably Dopethrone...
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Sheavy are pretty awesome. They're so much like early Sabbath its unbelievable, even the vocalist sounds like Ozzy.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u-yWUfLWEcA
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ljthA3c4AQ4

    Their un-traditional in a doom sense seeing as their not as 'thick sounding' as say
    Electric Wizard but If you're a fan of Early Sabbath you're bound to like them.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Electric Wizard is Sludge, so it's bound to sound thicker.

    Witchcraft also sound like Pentagram/Sabbath.

    Also, I think 'Doom' deserves a medal, for the fact that everything associated with the term tends to be awesome: Dr Doom, MF Doom, Doom Metal, Doom the game, Doom the crust punk band.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I would never in my life consider Electric Wizard sludge. If you want sludge try Acid Bath to see the stark difference. Yes sludge is an offshoot of doom metal but sludge metal is almost uniquely American and very different.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I can see that argument, actually, but I've always heard them discussed in reference to the genre, and I feel they're closer to sludge than doom, or god forbid, 'stoner doom'.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1797778 said:
    I can see that argument, actually, but I've always heard them discussed in reference to the genre, and I feel they're closer to sludge than doom, or god forbid, 'stoner doom'.
    Thats all just nitpickin and ****. Electric Wizard uses clean vocals. You cant have a death metal band with clean vocals and you cant have a sludge band without abrasive vocals.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    The vocals aren't altogether clean on Dopethrone, and that's the only album I've heard in any depth.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Bout as clean as Ozzy Osbourne. To the OP: WhiffleBallTony would be your best bet. He's definately more scholarly with doom bands than I am. I do know Electric Wizard is his favorite band and he likes a few others like The Sword. Should shoot him a mail.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure the guy runs his voice through some distortion box on that album. I'd need to go check though.

    Also, the Sword suck, they're hardly Doom at all.. Warhorse, Reverend Bizarre, Pentagram are fantastic doom. Witchfinder General are ok...
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1797854 said:
    I'm pretty sure the guy runs his voice through some distortion box on that album. I'd need to go check though.

    Also, the Sword suck, they're hardly Doom at all.. Warhorse, Reverend Bizarre, Pentagram are fantastic doom. Witchfinder General are ok...
    Whats not doom about The Sword? I mean seriously.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    They've always struck me more as a trad. Heavy/Hard Rock band. Given, I've only heard the first album, but it wasn't doom.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1797914 said:
    They've always struck me more as a trad. Heavy/Hard Rock band. Given, I've only heard the first album, but it wasn't doom.
    I got The Sword's first album. It is typical doom up and down. Considering doom metal is the first subgenre of heavy metal and follows the direct footsteps of Black Sabbath, they are doing it to the T.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    But Sabbath aren't Doom Metal, they just laid certain foundations for it. The Sword are just another weak throwback band imo. I'll give their second album a listen when I get to see my friend, he has it.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1797962 said:
    But Sabbath aren't Doom Metal, they just laid certain foundations for it. The Sword are just another weak throwback band imo. I'll give their second album a listen when I get to see my friend, he has it.
    Thanks for reaffirming what I just said. Doesnt matter what your opinion on them as a "weak throwback" is or not, they are doom metal and you still havent identified how they are not a typical doom metal band at all. Id be surprised if you even listen to any doom metal at all if you are going to go around saying whats good and whats not, or better yet, whats doom metal and whats just "plain heavy metal".

    Not that it particularly matters but Im trying to key off the OP in the right direction.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1797914 said:
    They've always struck me more as a trad. Heavy/Hard Rock band. Given, I've only heard the first album, but it wasn't doom.
    Yeah, it was doom. =/
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Onslaught_fei;1797985 said:
    Thanks for reaffirming what I just said. Doesnt matter what your opinion on them as a "weak throwback" is or not, they are doom metal and you still havent identified how they are not a typical doom metal band at all. Id be surprised if you even listen to any doom metal at all if you are going to go around saying whats good and whats not, or better yet, whats doom metal and whats just "plain heavy metal".

    Not that it particularly matters but Im trying to key off the OP in the right direction.
    I stated that they sound like a weak throwback, more like Black Sabbath than an actual doom band, and stated that although Sabbath influenced Doom, they were not Doom. However, you can think whatever you want...
    As for whether I listen to Doom or not, I've always prefered Funeral Doom and Drone over any other subgenre of metal bar Black.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Onslaught_fei;1797830 said:
    Bout as clean as Ozzy Osbourne. To the OP: WhiffleBallTony would be your best bet. He's definately more scholarly with doom bands than I am. I do know Electric Wizard is his favorite band and he likes a few others like The Sword. Should shoot him a mail.
    Hehe. Yes.

    Mkay, I listen to quite a bit of doom considering how new I am to metal. Here are some of my album/band suggestions (with subgenres is parentheses):

    Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics... (stoner doom)
    YOB - The Unreal Never Lived (just heavy as **** doom)
    Burning Witch - Cripple Lucifer (drone doom)
    Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood (sludge/post metal)
    Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus (traditional doom)
    Witchfinder General - Death Penalty (traditional doom)
    Earth - Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version (the first ever drone album)
    Bongzilla - Amerijuanican (stoner doom)
    BORIS - Smile (an amalgamation of stuff)
    Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (epic doom metal/traditional doom)
    Funeral - Tragedies (funeral doom)
    High on Fire - Death is this Communion (sludge metal/stoner doom)
    Melvins - Bullhead (sludge metal)
    Om - Conference of the Birds (stoner doom/psychedelic/experimental metal)
    Pentagram - Day of Reckoning (traditional doom)

    And, no doom collection is complete without...

    Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain (stoner doom)
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Alright well.. thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll get around to all of them soon. Currently I'm listening to Acid King's "III"..
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited January 2009
    schmeankman;1799307 said:
    Alright well.. thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll get around to all of them soon. Currently I'm listening to Acid King's "III"..
    Make sure you listen to some Sleep. Start with holy mountain and then Dopesmoker.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    I also think Black Sabbath: The Earache Tribute - Masters of Misery is a good sludge/doom tribute/comp record.
  • FleshofJesuFleshofJesu Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    not true doom but here is some bands:

    thou
    samothrace
    asunder
    trees
    thergothon
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    i got my mitts on the new megasus album today and it's really damn good. "red lottery" is definitely the most straightforward doom on here, but the whole thing should be enjoyed by most open-minded metalheads.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    They released their album? I'm going to need to check it out. I'm a fan of both Megasus songs that have been in the GH/RB games. I dug "Red Lottery" before I even got into metal and doom metal in particular.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1987215 said:
    They released their album? I'm going to need to check it out. I'm a fan of both Megasus songs that have been in the GH/RB games. I dug "Red Lottery" before I even got into metal and doom metal in particular.
    holla'
    http://www.last.fm/music/Megasus/Megasus
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Ah, thank ye, kind sir!
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2009
    16 also released their new album this year.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited February 2009
    Onslaught_fei;1795024 said:
    Agalloch is my favorite.
    they're not doom metal. not by any means

    Hour of 13 is my current favourite doom metal
Sign In or Register to comment.