PS3 Guitar Compatibility; Strum bars

HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
edited November 2007 in Announcements
Hey all,

We've been working really hard this past week discussing the big issues, and have an update for all of you.

PS3 Guitar Compatibility:

Many of you have contacted us about the PS3 edition of Rock Band--from issues with guitar compatibility to frustration that stand-alone guitars and drums for Rock Band have not yet hit stores. Please know that these issues have our full attention. We are listening and we read everything that is posted here on our forums. We are committed to providing the best play experience possible and working hard to ensure that we solve these problems as soon as possible. We promise to keep you updated and, in the meantime, we thank you for your patience.

Rock Band Guitars:

Many of you have contacted us regarding your guitar controllers. As sometimes happens when new products first go into manufacturing, we discovered an imperfection with the strum bar in an early production run of guitars that were shipped at launch. We want to inform you that we have since identified and fixed the issue in all subsequent production runs of the guitars. If you are experiencing a problem with your guitar or any of your other Rock Band instruments, simply visit the customer support website (http://support.ea.com/rockband) and we will send a replacement immediately. Harmonix is dedicated to creating 100% customer satisfaction and to those of you who've encountered any hardware issues, we are sorry for the hassle.

I know many of you have questions about other issues that weren't covered here. Be patient, we are aware of the issues, and are working on plans to deal with your concerns.

Thanks again!

Comments

• EastwoodEastwood Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    Thanks John, anything official means a lot.
  • keyratkeyrat Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    keepin' the hope alive for the ps3 :D
  • jedbeetlejedbeetle Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    thank you for responding. it would be wonderful if a patch or system update brought us ps3 users full guitar compatibility across ps consoles and titles. not having to buy a new peripheral on top of the rb package would be a boon.
  • impiriusimpirius Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the update; it's great to hear that you guys are listening. Please keep us posted on the Les Paul compatibility issue!
  • botnicbotnic Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    I just want to join the crowd and thank you guys for caring! I think that most of us were scared that you guys would just ignore us and this issue, essentially saying "oops". Even though you didn't exactly promise this issue would be resolved, I'm grateful you guys are looking into it!
  • MixPlusMixPlus Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    HMXJohnlok;153861 said:

As sometimes happens when new products first go into manufacturing, we discovered an imperfection with the strum bar in an early production run of guitars that were shipped at launch. We want to inform you that we have since identified and fixed the issue in all subsequent production runs of the guitars. If you are experiencing a problem with your guitar or any of your other Rock Band instruments, simply visit the customer support website (http://support.ea.com/rockband) and we will send a replacement immediately.
    John - to avoid having every guitar produced to date sent back on warranty for fear of being part of the defective manufacturing run is there any way to tell if you have the "old" one or the "new" one? I for one just bought RB - question is, old run or new run?

Also, can you be more specifc as to the "issue" found? Strum bar response? Trigger issue? Construction? Durabilitiy? All of the above? Something else?

Thanks in advance!
  • TheVoiceOfReasonTheVoiceOfReason Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    SoulScreme;153954 said:
    This is a nice change of pace. I really appreciate the communication and hope that it continues to come at a steady pace. Being left in the dark for a full week on what I consider missing features was making me unhappy. So long as I know it's being worked on and progress is being made, I'm happy. Les Paul on PS3 would be a nice Christmas present. Hint, hint.
    I agree that the communication is appreciated and key to keeping the anxiety of your customers down. A lot of people felt really cheated by some aspects of the initial release and I think statements like these will hold people over for a while. Just knowing that you are looking into ways to solve it (regardless of whos fault it is) is a good thing! Thanks!
  • DamagedDamaged Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    HMXJohnlok;153861 said:
    Please know that these issues have our full attention. We are listening and we read everything that is posted here on our forums.

We promise to keep you updated and, in the meantime, we thank you for your patience.
    Awesome John, and thanks for posting this.
  • Nate FinchNate Finch Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    MixPlus;154154 said:
    John - to avoid having every guitar produced to date sent back on warranty for fear of being part of the defective manufacturing run is there any way to tell if you have the "old" one or the "new" one? I for one just bought RB - question is, old run or new run?
    You should never return anything because you're afraid it might possibly break someday (at least for nonessential things like game controllers). If it ain't broke, please don't cost Harmonix or the rest of us money by returning it for absolutely no reason. If it breaks, return it then. Until then, be happy it's working and that you have such a great game to play.

There's no way they got a new production run into stores only a week after initial release, when the problems only became apparent some days into that week. You have an "old" one, just like everyone else. If it's not broken, don't worry about it. It's not like we're talking about an airplane engine here. If it breaks, you'll just have to play something else for 2 days while they airmail you a new one.
  • lynx44lynx44 Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Nate Finch;154280 said:
    You should never return anything because you're afraid it might possibly break someday (at least for nonessential things like game controllers). If it ain't broke, please don't cost Harmonix or the rest of us money by returning it for absolutely no reason. [...] If it breaks, you'll just have to play something else for 2 days while they airmail you a new one.
    I agree, except the problem is that the warranty is only 60 days (I believe), and if my guitar breaks due to this same issue after 60 days, then I have something to be concerned about. Will the warranty be extended for this issue on these guitars? I'm not too concerned, just curious and I'm sure others would like to know.

I'd also like to thank Harmonix for the response. It sounds like you guys are making a solid effort to address the PS3 Les Paul issue. Feedback from you guys is really important and will help curb people's frustration.
  • DesaevioDesaevio Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    Better late than never. Thanks for the update and good(ish?) news. Most of us are aware HMX isn't simply swimming in their Scrooge McDuck sized vault of moneys while we stand pathetically in front of our TVs, strumming futilely and pouting like a puppy left out in the rain.
  • BathTubBathTub Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    So it reads the same, what is the difference between this post and the one sean posted a little earlier?
  • Ryder35Ryder35 Rising Star
    edited November 2007
    HMXJohnlok;153861 said:

If you are experiencing a problem with your guitar or any of your other Rock Band instruments, simply visit the customer support website (http://support.ea.com/rockband) and we will send a replacement immediately. Harmonix is dedicated to creating 100% customer satisfaction and to those of you who've encountered any hardware issues, we are sorry for the hassle.

Thanks again!
    You will not hav 100% satisfaction unless you can offer to do something for those of us impatient enough to import the game to the UK and elsewhere. Just because we imported the game does not mean we should have to put up with products with design problems. Still good to hear things are being done.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    MixPlus;154154 said:

Also, can you be more specifc as to the "issue" found? Strum bar response? Trigger issue? Construction? Durabilitiy? All of the above? Something else?

Thanks in advance!

Harmonix, this really needs to be answered...for our sake and yours. :)
  • AdamBomb629AdamBomb629 Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    geo2n2;154439 said:
    Harmonix, this really needs to be answered...for our sake and yours. :)
    I really don't think they'll tell us specifically what's wrong... kind of like how Microsoft won't say what's causing the red lights.

EDIT: By the way, does the strum bar issue that JohnLok is saying is resolved apply to both PS3 and 360 controllers?
  • MF-PO'dMF-PO'd Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    This, combined with Red Octane's "looking into it" statement is welcomed news. I can only hope progress is being made behind the scenes...
  • DesiredFXDesiredFX Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
    lynx44;154340 said:
    I agree, except the problem is that the warranty is only 60 days (I believe), and if my guitar breaks due to this same issue after 60 days, then I have something to be concerned about.
    If your guitar is going to break from this particular defect, it will happen fairly quickly. Many people reported failures within three hours of opening the box. In my case it took about twelve.

I also appreciate the attention Harmonix is paying this issue, and I've got to say the sooner the individual instruments are released, the better: barring the strum-bar difficulties, this is the very best guitar controller I've used, and I can't wait to get my hands on another.

As for the PS3 Les Paul compatibility, the heck with it. The controller was barely compatible with the game it was created for.
    edited November 2007
    DesiredFX;154499 said:
    As for the PS3 Les Paul compatibility, the heck with it. The controller was barely compatible with the game it was created for.
    Speak for yourself. Mine works just fine, and I'd really like to use it in Rock Band since there's nothing else for me available.
  • glacier985glacier985 Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    I''m glad to hear something, even if its not really what I wanted to hear. If Harmonix can't get the Les Paul to work on PS3 Rockbands, why not just let us use are PS2 SG's. They can even sell an "Official" Rockband PS2 to USB adapter. I would buy it, I have two SG's that I could use and would use.
    edited November 2007
    MF-PO'd;154525 said:
    Speak for yourself. Mine works just fine, and I'd really like to use it in Rock Band since there's nothing else for me available.
    I thought I was speaking for myself.

The PS3 Les Paul is functional, but I've never had more issues with lag/calibration with any controller, and I had two of the Red Octane wireless controllers for my PS2.

Now, if it's a problem with the software (which wouldn't surprise me), then I'll happily use the Les Paul.

Truth is, the only reason I bought GH3 was because I understood the two to be compatible. I always preferred the Strat, but I wanted to be in a situation where four of us could play RB out of the box.
  • lynx44lynx44 Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    DesiredFX;154499 said:
    If your guitar is going to break from this particular defect, it will happen fairly quickly. Many people reported failures within three hours of opening the box. In my case it took about twelve.
    Thats probably true, but unless we know what exactly the defect is, its hard to determine for sure if nearly all guitars will break in a short period of time. I'm basically in agreement with you, I'm just not 100% convinced yet.

-Matt
  • rwthibrwthib Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    While not a solution for third party, it's nice to hear a "We Care" and "We are doing something".
  • AdamWillAdamWill Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    as I've been harsh on this in other threads, just wanted to say for the record, this is a much better response and as good as RO's. Thanks for the bs-free, sensible response, HMX.
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited November 2007
  • MaximusDMMaximusDM Opening Act
    edited November 2007
    So wait; You are admitting the guitars you initially shipped out were defective?
    Is there any way I can return my version of the guitar for the newer improved model though I have yet to have a problem with it besides my frets going haywire for about 30 seconds in a song. Or do i need to make sure there is a malfunction before I return it, I don't want to have problems with it down the line only to have it break out of warranty.

Same goes with the drums as well. My pedal is about to break in half soon; I see the stress marks and cracking. Can I get my new pedal/drums under warranty now, or do I need for it to break for me to get my new stuff.

it is nice to be so blunt and honest. But what happens to me when I am sitting with this defective equipment down the road. Will you extend the warranty on the initial batch going by serial number or what? I am in panic mode Harmonix, as I'm sure you are too with all these equipment complaints. Just tell me what to do!
    edited November 2007
    lynx44;154642 said:
    Thats probably true, but unless we know what exactly the defect is, its hard to determine for sure if nearly all guitars will break in a short period of time. I'm basically in agreement with you, I'm just not 100% convinced yet.

-Matt
    I've heard of a few people cracking open their guitars and making one of two mods that fixes this. One has to do with sliding in a piece of cardboard to provide better support for the contacts, the other has to do with tightening a couple of screws.

If that's really all there is to it, I would think it's likely--though still not enough to convince you 100%--that the failures will come quickly if they're going to happen at all.
  • MixPlusMixPlus Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    DesiredFX;154731 said:
    I've heard of a few people cracking open their guitars and making one of two mods that fixes this. One has to do with sliding in a piece of cardboard to provide better support for the contacts, the other has to do with tightening a couple of screws.

If that's really all there is to it, I would think it's likely--though still not enough to convince you 100%--that the failures will come quickly if they're going to happen at all.
    With all due respect I am not cracking open anything nor am I going to rig the guitar to do what Harmonix told me it would do under normal usage. :mad:

At the end of the day Harmonix publishes a 60 day warranty and has now said essentially all our guitars are defective due to a failure in the production line. This is a problem for me because I don't think I will put 12 hours of play time on it before the 60 days is up - in other words I don't have the time for marathon playing to see if it will break "quickly".

Therefore, it seems to me if the guitar was in fact defective when it shipped (which they are saying) then either A) our warranty should be extended indefintely specific to this problem in the event this "issue" causes a failure in the future OR B) my guitar should be immediately recalled and replaced with one that has the fix. I personally don't really care which option they choose - just so long as I am covered in the event the thing fails due to a known defect in production.

By the way, same goes for the drum pads and kick drum pedals. Guaranteed there is an "announcement" coming on those as well. :eek:

The rest of the rhetoric is all B.S. IMHO...Wake up Harmonix. This is a business...do the right thing... :)
    edited November 2007
    DesiredFX;154586 said:
    I thought I was speaking for myself.

The PS3 Les Paul is functional, but I've never had more issues with lag/calibration with any controller, and I had two of the Red Octane wireless controllers for my PS2.

Now, if it's a problem with the software (which wouldn't surprise me), then I'll happily use the Les Paul.

Truth is, the only reason I bought GH3 was because I understood the two to be compatible. I always preferred the Strat, but I wanted to be in a situation where four of us could play RB out of the box.
    Fair enough. :) I just wanted to clarify that because I think you're in the minority, especially among Les Paul owners. It's still probably worthwhile for them to fix it, and then you could at least try it in Rock Band to see if it still has issues for you.
  • vipenessvipeness Unsigned
    edited November 2007
    HMXJohnlok;153861 said:
    Hey all,

We've been working really hard this past week discussing the big issues, and have an update for all of you.

PS3 Guitar Compatibility:

Many of you have contacted us about the PS3 edition of Rock Band--from issues with guitar compatibility to frustration that stand-alone guitars and drums for Rock Band have not yet hit stores. Please know that these issues have our full attention. We are listening and we read everything that is posted here on our forums. We are committed to providing the best play experience possible and working hard to ensure that we solve these problems as soon as possible. We promise to keep you updated and, in the meantime, we thank you for your patience.

Rock Band Guitars:

Many of you have contacted us regarding your guitar controllers. As sometimes happens when new products first go into manufacturing, we discovered an imperfection with the strum bar in an early production run of guitars that were shipped at launch. We want to inform you that we have since identified and fixed the issue in all subsequent production runs of the guitars. If you are experiencing a problem with your guitar or any of your other Rock Band instruments, simply visit the customer support website (http://support.ea.com/rockband) and we will send a replacement immediately. Harmonix is dedicated to creating 100% customer satisfaction and to those of you who've encountered any hardware issues, we are sorry for the hassle.

I know many of you have questions about other issues that weren't covered here. Be patient, we are aware of the issues, and are working on plans to deal with your concerns.

Thanks again!
    really sorry to hear that about the ps3 guitars not working right... the x360, both gh2 and gh3 wireless works great. im still waiting to send in my guitar which is not working anymore.
    edited November 2007
    MixPlus;154830 said:
    With all due respect I am not cracking open anything nor am I going to rig the guitar to do what Harmonix told me it would do under normal usage. :mad:
    Poor phrasing on my part. I was trying to say that people had done it and that what they discovered while doing it seemed to indicate that you would either get a quick failure, or no failure at all. I have not cracked my own controller open, nor would I suggest that anyone else do the same.
This discussion has been closed.