The Progressive Thread

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited January 2012 in History of Rock
This is a thread to discuss progressive rock/metal/death metal, symphonic metal, jazz, and jazz

It is also a place for recommendations, and to help guide people through the genre.

I decided to make this after getting several requests to recommend people prog and jazz after my lists went up in the last few days

Also check out the 60 Progressive Bands to Listen to Before You Die
RULES:
1) This thread must stay away from the common misconceptions of the genre (Rush, Pink Floyd, just because its a concept album/uses odd time signatures, it must be prog, Phil Collins is prog, 90125 is prog, etc.)
2) This thread should venture more into the lesser known bands, away from Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, etc., and especially to bands outside the US and UK!
3) NO FIGHTING/BICKERING/ELITISM!
This is a place for discussion, arrogance and fighting will not be allowed, as it is on the rest of the forums, but here too, we cannot allow people to down each other and their tastes, you want to argue about music? go to the Randomly Crap Out Your Opinions Thread, but not here
4) Use the blog/videos/lastfm/other sources of media whenever necessary!! In order to spread the genre, we must provide tunage to allow people to listen.

and remember, have fun! this isn't a religion, its a community!

For more prog, check out the blog:
Progressive Rock
Progressive Metal

Comments

• HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I've been meaning to check out Van der Graaf Generator for a while now... Last.fm's been throwing recommendations for them in my face for the past couple weeks, haha. Where's a good album to start for them?

Also, has anyone else besides me and Gowie checked out Amaseffer? A pretty damn good Jewish progressive metal band. Very theatrical in their music to the point where it almost sounds like you're listening to a movie, haha.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    Hungryfreak;1848025 said:
    I've been meaning to check out Van der Graaf Generator for a while now... Last.fm's been throwing recommendations for them in my face for the past couple weeks, haha. Where's a good album to start for them?

Also, has anyone else besides me and Gowie checked out Amaseffer? A pretty damn good Jewish progressive metal band. Very theatrical in their music to the point where it almost sounds like you're listening to a movie, haha.
    im sure i wont be the only one to say this but, Pawn Hearts, but I also enjoy The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other and Aerosol Grey Machine

i will check them out!
    edited January 2009
    Thank you! I think I'll look up Pawn Hearts first, definitely, before branching off onto others.

(going to sleep now since its 2:15AM, haha)
    edited January 2009
    Hungryfreak;1848036 said:
    Thank you! I think I'll look up Pawn Hearts first, definitely, before branching off onto others.

(going to sleep now since its 2:15AM, haha)
    im listening to Amaseffer as we speak, lol
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    I like progressive music but I'm more keen on the math rock, post-rock, experimental rock, post-hardcore and "nu-prog" more than the traditional sets, technical progressive metal, jazz fusion and watnot.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    cool. i actually though about starting a RIO/zeuhl thread since prog is pretty popular around these parts, yet i never hear about those two splinters.
    edited January 2009
    I've only vaguely heard of zeuhl. I can't remember what it is, but, if I'm not mistaken, Magma is a zeuhl band, right?
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1848206 said:
    cool. i actually though about starting a RIO/zeuhl thread since prog is pretty popular around these parts, yet i never hear about those two splinters.
    RIO is definitely deserving of its own thread!!

for zeuhl, i can't say much, ive just started moving into French prog in the last 3 or 4 months, so I don't have a ton of knowledge about it....yet
    edited January 2009
    yep, magma's considered the zeuhl grandpappies, though my favorites in the movement are japan's ruins and the UK's guapo.
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Wait...what?

Rush=/=Progressive Rock?

Since when?
    edited January 2009
    Some of Rush's music is progressive rock, but not all of it. They have a lot of hard rock in their discography as well.
    edited January 2009
    Well, I'll respectfully disagree with that one.

And post this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZKLySZeHe0

Best damn Progressive Folk/Power Metal band I ever done heard.

Actually, the ONLY Progressive Folk/Power Metal band I ever done heard.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    KingProgdor;1849238 said:
    Well, I'll respectfully disagree with that one.

And post this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZKLySZeHe0

Best damn Progressive Folk/Power Metal band I ever done heard.

Actually, the ONLY Progressive Folk/Power Metal band I ever done heard.
    Maybe I have to be a drunk viking, but that was just awful.
    edited January 2009
    Soror_YZBL;1849389 said:
    Maybe I have to be a drunk viking, but that was just awful.
    Nah.
  • limelight_rushlimelight_rush Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Top 5 Prog rock bands ever.

1) Pink Floyd
    2) Genesis
    3) Supertramp
    4) Horslips
    5) Yes
    edited January 2009
    KingProgdor;1849215 said:
    Wait...what?

Rush=/=Progressive Rock?

Since when?
    rush had played progressive rock, but can not be considered a progressive rock band due to only having a select number of albums that are actually prog

same goes for Pink Floyd
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1849530 said:
    rush had played progressive rock, but can not be considered a progressive rock band due to only having a select number of albums that are actually prog

same goes for Pink Floyd
    I wouldn't even say Pink Floyd has ever made a prog rock album. They're much more of a space rock band.
    edited January 2009
    Soror_YZBL;1849568 said:
    I wouldn't even say Pink Floyd has ever made a prog rock album. They're much more of a space rock band.
    agreed somewhat, that is def. where i would place many of their albums, but i could def. put Meddle and Animals in there as prog, and even Piper
  • theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I have come here as a young grasshopper, hopping along my way to learn the ways of this music thee call "prog" that owns peoples faces so much the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame try to not put Prog bands in the Hall of Fame because it brings bad memories of too much ownage...
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Anyone here like Renaissance? I love Kings and Queens.
    edited January 2009
    DarkSide247;1850276 said:
    yep, good stuff.

this thread has caused me to jam the zeuhl radio station on last.fm for the past few hours.
    aside from getting the horrid metalcore band who ganked zao's name twice i've had good luck... i was also pretty surprised to see that people have tagged bands like hella and lightning bolt as zeuhl.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Soror_YZBL;1849568 said:
    Is space rock a real term? I always considered them psychadelic, its not like psychadelic is very closely related to progressive. Regardless its good music.
    edited January 2009
    DarkSide247;1850276 said:
    me me me!!

female fronted prog is so hard to find, but oh so good
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1851323 said:
    me me me!!

female fronted prog is so hard to find, but oh so good
    Yeah, I wish I could find more, I only know Magenta, Renaissance, and Karnataka.
    edited January 2009
    JukeBoxHero;1851374 said:
    Yeah, I wish I could find more, I only know Magenta, Renaissance, and Karnataka.
    Curved Air dude!
    and the United States of America (not the presidents, this is a 60s group)
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1851403 said:
    Curved Air dude!
    both are good, particularly the latter!

i just happen to be listening to news from babel, and think they deserve more attention from henry cow fans.
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1851429 said:
    both are good, particularly the latter!
    id argue Curved Air should've been bigger, and (IMO, yes just an opinion, i of course respect yours dude) is better, lol
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1851403 said:
    Curved Air dude!
    Oh sweet, I've heard of Curved Air but I didn't know it was female fronted. I can't wait for this Moonspell album to end so I can look into their music more.

I also got to say, for being(Moonspell) "Portuguese Black Metal" I prefer Burzum. :( Some nice bass grooves are being used though.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Whoever gave this one star...

Anyway, I'll be watching this thread. I'd like to find some new prog bands.
  • ZenweaponryZenweaponry Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Anyone here like Into Eternity? I recently discovered them and strangely my favorite thing about the band is the vocalist. I find this rather uncommon in deathprog.