The Progressive Thread

Comments

  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2098409 said:
    I haven't heard much but I aim to change that. I like Asia, but it's surprising as a whole how poppy they are.
    Poppy = Yes
    Good = Yes (They were good, but could have been much better IMO)
    Mainstream = Yes
    Still Touring = Yes
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler, what of Asia's material have you heard?
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2098432 said:
    Fizzeler, what of Asia's material have you heard?
    Mostly their 80s stuff like I said good, but could have been better
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2098452 said:
    Mostly their 80s stuff like I said good, but could have been better
    Listen to their stuff with John Payne and Geoff Downes. Aqua was the first album with this lineup. It's nothing like the 80's stuff.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2098504 said:
    Listen to their stuff with John Payne and Geoff Downes. Aqua was the first album with this lineup. It's nothing like the 80's stuff.
    Okay I will I just thought after their 80s stuff they are pretty good, but have the potential to be much better

    Happy they got some radio play though brought some Prog. back into the radio :)
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    So at the moment I'm listening to Tiles and I'm really enjoying it. I picked up the first pressing of Presents of Mind a while back and I'm just now getting around to listening to it.
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Well this is some good news.

    I got a call from the music store this morning. One of the employees found the discs to the Yes Keys to Ascension II album I put on hold a month ago. I'll be sure to pick it up at the end of the week. :D
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2101120 said:
    Well this is some good news.

    I got a call from the music store this morning. One of the employees found the discs to the Yes Keys to Ascension II album I put on hold a month ago. I'll be sure to pick it up at the end of the week. :D
    Yes = Epic Win
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I bought it whilst out in town today, so I have both of the Keys to Ascension albums. One step closer to having the entire catalogue!

    Next rare album target: Keystudio.

    I'm listening to Magnification right now. I think the Yes fans who are all '70's YES IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS LOLOLOL' should step out of their comfort zone for a few minutes and listen to this album. The full-sized symphony really makes the difference.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2102612 said:
    I bought it whilst out in town today, so I have both of the Keys to Ascension albums. One step closer to having the entire catalogue!

    Next rare album target: Keystudio.

    I'm listening to Magnification right now. I think the Yes fans who are all '70's YES IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS LOLOLOL' should step out of their comfort zone for a few minutes and listen to this album. The full-sized symphony really makes the difference.
    Agreed coming from the one of the Yes fan boys of the forums (Starguard is up there, but he is almost never on and debating whether or not JukeBoxHero fits) besides everyone knows Magnification is good because it is when Yes returned to their old Prog. style

    Although by far my favorite Yes album is The Yes Album
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I'm probably going to sound a bit cliche here, but my personal favourite is Tales from Topographic Oceans.

    Though, the more guitar-driven Talk was pretty good as well in my opinion.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2102652 said:
    I'm probably going to sound a bit cliche here, but my personal favourite is Tales from Topographic Oceans.

    Though, the more guitar-driven Talk was pretty good as well in my opinion.
    Tales is pretty good, but still like I said I am a fan boy I like all of their discography, but The Yes Album is definitely number 1 all tracks on that album are awesome :D
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    At current, the only studio albums from Yes that I'm missing are 90125, Big Generator, and The Ladder.

    I have a couple live albums to track down, but that's about it. Then I can say I have Yes's entire catalogue.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2102687 said:
    At current, the only studio albums from Yes that I'm missing are 90125, Big Generator, and The Ladder.

    I have a couple live albums to track down, but that's about it. Then I can say I have Yes's entire catalogue.

    For Yes fans 90125 is :(

    For pop and the media 90125 is :)

    The album gained them more fans while disappointing the fans they already have bad for Prog. good for Pop also, got more radio stations to play songs from other Yes albums and really solidified them as a band that brought Prog. to the mainstream. I still hear them play Yes on my classic rock station :)
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2102710 said:
    For Yes fans 90125 is :(

    For pop and the media 90125 is :)

    The album gained them more fans while disappointing the fans they already have bad for Prog. good for Pop also, got more radio stations to play songs from other Yes albums and really solidified them as a band that brought Prog. to the mainstream. I still hear them play Yes on my classic rock station :)
    I can't find it in me to dislike this song...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4fp01Veb-A&feature=channel_page
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2102732 said:
    I can't find it in me to dislike this song...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4fp01Veb-A&feature=channel_page
    We both know that Chris Squire is one of the best bassists ever ;)

    Like I said fan boys like the entire discography or can at least find a couple tracks they like from each album
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    Yes, like many 70s bands don't catch my attention.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2102775 said:
    Yes, like many 70s bands don't catch my attention.
    :(

    Why not?
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2102780 said:
    :(

    Why not?
    Guitar Tone as I stated before:
    This is coming from a production elitist, but I never liked 'classic rock' bands as a whole (only in tiny bursts) due to the guitar tone, the production of the records and watnot. They knew how to arrange tracks, sure. But nothing really came into taste for the most part, so I moved on from it.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2102790 said:
    Guitar Tone as I stated before:
    Okay I understand

    What about Transatlantic?
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2102796 said:
    Okay I understand

    What about Transatlantic?
    Never struck me as too interesting.
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Om nom Transatlantic. I have both albums.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2102810 said:
    Om nom Transatlantic. I have both albums.
    To bad they did not last long I love All Of The Above great song
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    That's because Neal Morse left and decided to make his music more personal and Christian-themed.

    I really want to get his latest album, to be honest.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2102839 said:
    That's because Neal Morse left and decided to make his music more personal and Christian-themed.

    I really want to get his latest album, to be honest.
    Also, Portney returned to Dream Theater still we can always hope they will re-unite again some day like most Supergroups eventually do :)
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Speaking of Portnoy, I wish Fates Warning would find another drummer sometime soon. Mark Zonder left after FWX and Mike Portnoy has been sitting in for touring. That and Ray Alder is working with Redemption. Fates Warning is a mess and I really wanna hear another album. T_T
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2102687 said:
    At current, the only studio albums from Yes that I'm missing are 90125, Big Generator, and The Ladder.

    I have a couple live albums to track down, but that's about it. Then I can say I have Yes's entire catalogue.
    I have Big Generator on vinyl
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    a21schizoidman;2104324 said:
    I have Big Generator on vinyl
    I have 90125 and The Yes Album.

    What does Big Generator sound like exactly?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    KingProgdor;2104887 said:
    I have 90125 and The Yes Album.

    What does Big Generator sound like exactly?
    Yes playing good pop rock
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
Sign In or Register to comment.