The Progressive Thread

Comments

  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    Oscar-Rio;1947327 said:
    I'm not a real big prog guy, but i really enjoy this stuff

    Stolen Babies

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpxesBrb8Ag
    thanks for sharing that, good tune, ill have to look more into them, i like avant garde stuff
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Hey schizoid, are those 60 prog bands placed by ranking? Like, is number 1 the best?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    SputnikDX;1957425 said:
    Hey schizoid, are those 60 prog bands placed by ranking? Like, is number 1 the best?
    Number 1 is the one most needed to hear before you die


    i tried to put them in order by favorites, how good they were, how experimental, how popular, how influential, and other things all combined
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Why do people get all butt hurt when Rush and Pink Floyd are labeled as prog? They made progressive music, so what's the big deal? Yes both have made music that wasn't progressive, but so has Genesis. The fact is both bands took a lot of progressive elements with them throughout their careers. A lot of people consider them to be prog, just as they consider radiohead, Gabriel, etc. to be prog. So deal with it.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    Jhail83;1959026 said:
    Why do people get all butt hurt when Rush and Pink Floyd are labeled as prog? They made progressive music, so what's the big deal? Yes both have made music that wasn't progressive, but so has Genesis. The fact is both bands took a lot of progressive elements with them throughout their careers. A lot of people consider them to be prog, just as they consider radiohead, Gabriel, etc. to be prog. So deal with it.
    same reason people get upset when any band is thrown into the wrong genres, it makes it hard to recommend bands to people when the bands are put into genres they don't belong in

    so, because someone like Jerry Lee Lewis once made a country album, he is a country musician? NO!, he is rock and roll
  • OggihOggih Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    What genre would you guys put Pink Floyd (post-Syd) in? Classic rock? :/
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Oggih;1961645 said:
    What genre would you guys put Pink Floyd (post-Syd) in? Classic rock? :/
    Space Rock
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Oggih;1961645 said:
    What genre would you guys put Pink Floyd (post-Syd) in? Classic rock? :/
    I have and probably will always consider Pink Floyd to be Psychedelic Rock.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Hey I am trying to compile a list of greatest Prog. Artists on any instruments so far I have
    Ian Anderson - Best Flutist
    Need some more from the community I will post it when it is done
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    Ray Thomas > Ian Anderson, lol
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    a21schizoidman;1966619 said:
    Ray Thomas > Ian Anderson, lol
    Defending Ian Anderson is this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdz_G1VGJ4c

    However I actually agree Ray Thomas has seniority and correct me on this one if I am wrong he did influence Anderson so I guess Ray wins

    Current list
    Ray Thomas - Best Flautist
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    Fizzeler;1966633 said:
    Defending Ian Anderson is this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdz_G1VGJ4c

    However I actually agree Ray Thomas has seniority and correct me on this one if I am wrong he did influence Anderson so I guess Ray wins

    Current list
    Ray Thomas - Best Flautist
    Ray Thomas has more control IMO


    Anderson goes over the top too much
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Gonna go out on a limb here and argue that Peter Hammill is the best Progressive Vocalist. Opinion, sure, but it could be fact. I think argumentatively, finding the best vocalist will be hard, but Steve Howe could easily be the best guitarist.

    On a more personal note, got Octopus by Gentle Giant the other day. The whole album is just :eek::eek::eek: and I've listened to it almost religiously 5 times in a row. River is my least favorite song, with Raconteur, Troubadour being my favorite. Oh, and the whole album is WAAAY too short, not even hitting 35 minutes.

    Regardless, I mega-suggest it to any prog fan who doesn't some reason already have it. (like I did)
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Got another album, Operation: Mindcrime. Highly suggested by Schizoid in his list of prog bands.

    My opinions: Fabulous album from start to finish. It's an hour long, but that hour zings by in like 20 minutes. The album, for the most part, is seamless. Songs often lead from one to the next with not even a second to break, giving the album an incredible flow.
    However, it's progity(?) isn't as high as most of the bands on that list. It's prog, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't feel like it at first.

    Regardless, I highly recommend it.

    Double post but who cares, right?
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    SputnikDX;1993933 said:
    Got another album, Operation: Mindcrime. Highly suggested by Schizoid in his list of prog bands.

    My opinions: Fabulous album from start to finish. It's an hour long, but that hour zings by in like 20 minutes. The album, for the most part, is seamless. Songs often lead from one to the next with not even a second to break, giving the album an incredible flow.
    However, it's progity(?) isn't as high as most of the bands on that list. It's prog, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't feel like it at first.

    Regardless, I highly recommend it.

    Double post but who cares, right?
    If you are looking for some good Prog. Metal my top album suggestions would be:
    Dream Theater - Images And Words
    Ayreon - The Human Equation
    Coheed And Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
    Opeth - Damnation (If you do not like death metal pick this album up, I do not which is why I am recommending it)

    If you are looking for some good classic Prog. my top album suggestions would be:
    Emerson, Lake, And Palmer - Tarkus or Brain Salad Surgery
    The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Past
    YES - Fragile, Close To The Edge, or The YES Album
    King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
  • Tono_FyrTono_Fyr Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    That Coheed album's all right, but it really drops off at the 8th song or so.

    My definition of prog tends to be kinda loose. Any band that advances their music, trying new things that distinguish albums from one another, I would call Progressive. If you've done a concept album, you probably also fall under "Progressive". Then there's the old school prog sound with moog synths and the rock organ. There's also odd time signatures and tempo changes and such. Songs regularly going over 10 minutes are another symptom.

    I've seen a number of people go '"But rush was only prog for four albums!!!111", and to you i say, for many people, they were one of the original prog bands, because they kind of were. If you ask the average person without as rigid definition of prog as some of you guys here, they would probably call them progressive. And by nature, Prog does not have a stark definition. You can be a progressive power metal band with black metal tendancies, for instance.

    To me, prog is more of something that a band IS rather than a strictly defined genre.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Tono_Fyr;1994083 said:
    That Coheed album's all right, but it really drops off at the 8th song or so.

    My definition of prog tends to be kinda loose. Any band that advances their music, trying new things that distinguish albums from one another, I would call Progressive. If you've done a concept album, you probably also fall under "Progressive". Then there's the old school prog sound with moog synths and the rock organ. There's also odd time signatures and tempo changes and such. Songs regularly going over 10 minutes are another symptom.

    I've seen a number of people go '"But rush was only prog for four albums!!!111", and to you i say, for many people, they were one of the original prog bands, because they kind of were. If you ask the average person without as rigid definition of prog as some of you guys here, they would probably call them progressive. And by nature, Prog does not have a stark definition. You can be a progressive power metal band with black metal tendancies, for instance.

    To me, prog is more of something that a band IS rather than a strictly defined genre.
    Search this forum there is a Prog. definition in a thread as to Rush they released their first album in 1974 while most Prog. bands released their first album in the late 60s so no they were not one of the original Prog. bands
  • Tono_FyrTono_Fyr Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Fizzeler;1994096 said:
    Search this forum there is a Prog. definition in a thread as to Rush they released their first album in 1974 while most Prog. bands released their first album in the late 60s so no they were not one of the original Prog. bands
    You just made me roll my eyes. Most prog rock bands released thier debuts in 1969, but Prog's hayday was the 1970s. Any band that came across as prog from that time period was a part of the early prog movement. The fact that the band formed a few years later means very little in the scheme of decades past. Rush also has had a lasting effect on prog rock bands up to today, such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Nevermore, as just a few examples.

    Furthermore, if you ask a prog musician to name off early prog bands, they'll go down the laundrylist of something like this; Yes, Rush, Genesis, King Crimson, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Etc.

    And ****, the first ELP album came out in the seventies. Does that make them 'not early prog'?

    And this makes me laugh every time. I love both musicians featured, but steven smokes mikeal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2InJpqo_bw
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Tono_Fyr;1994131 said:
    You just made me roll my eyes. Most prog rock bands released thier debuts in 1969, but Prog's hayday was the 1970s. Any band that came across as prog from that time period was a part of the early prog movement. The fact that the band formed a few years later means very little in the scheme of decades past. Rush also has had a lasting effect on prog rock bands up to today, such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Nevermore, as just a few examples.

    And ****, the first ELP album came out in the seventies. Does that make them 'not early prog'?
    Rush's first Prog. album which is 2112 was released in 1976 after the early Prog. Bands so no Rush is not early Prog. ELPs first album was in the early 70s so yes they are early Prog. in other words

    Early Prog.
    Late 60s to Early 70s
  • Tono_FyrTono_Fyr Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Fizzeler;1994137 said:
    Rush's first Prog. album which is 2112 was released in 1976 after the early Prog. Bands so no Rush is not early Prog. ELPs first album was in the early 70s so yes they are early Prog. in other words

    Early Prog.
    Late 60s to Early 70s
    Early prog: 70s, period. 1969 is barely what I'd call the "late sixties"(and if I'm not mistaken, there weren't really any prog records before1969, but I may be wrong) rather than just the early seventies.

    And in the scheme of 1970s to 2009, yes, Rush IS early prog, because of the way perception of time works. They weren't the earliest (which is not what I'm arguing at all, by the way), but they were part of the movement earlier than many bands, and in the eye of the public, that 5 years means relatively little. Early 30 years ago is within that decade, just as early 100 years ago is within a 30 year period.

    My backspace button is acting up, and I have to go to work soon, so I'm just going to leave it at this for now.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2009
    Tono_Fyr;1994191 said:
    Early prog: 70s, period. 1969 is barely what I'd call the "late sixties"(and if I'm not mistaken, there weren't really any prog records before 1969, but I may be wrong) rather than just the early seventies.
    Procul Harum, The Nice, Moody Blues, etc. all prove this wrong.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    And Zappa. Don't forget him.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1994460 said:
    And Zappa. Don't forget him.
    / The Mothers of Invention
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    the argument that took place here earlier made my head hurt so much with so many wrong facts and misinformed claims that i am not going to go through with correcting all them

    i facepalmed so many times, my arm hurts...
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    I have a question who here thinks Aqualung is a concept album even though Anderson has denied it?

    I do not
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    The only songs that tie together are the first two and it's only by a reuse of the Aqualung character in a different context.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1996699 said:
    The only songs that tie together are the first two and it's only by a reuse of the Aqualung character in a different context.
    That is why I do not think it is a concept album, but still critics of the album ask the question

    Also, what is your favorite original Prog. band? (Directed at everyone not just you Hungryfreak although I think I know your answer ;))

    Mine would be Moody Blues :)
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Giles Giles and Fripp would be mine.
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I'm still milling my way through all the bands, but VDGG I think is the most excellent band of the few I've listened to.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    Burn Out My Eyes is my new fav. Nektar song
Sign In or Register to comment.