Best Power Trio?

ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
Self Explanatory. Who was the best power trio ever?
I say Cream. Eric Clapton is a guitar god, Ginger Baker was great, listen to Toad from wheels of fire. That all the proof I needed. And Jack Bruce could sing, play very good bass (IMO 3rd Best Bassist) and write there hits. After them Rush.

Comments

  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    ClassicRockFanatic23;1857476 said:
    Self Explanatory. Who was the best power trio ever?
    I say Cream. Eric Clapton is a guitar god, Ginger Baker was great, listen to Toad from wheels of fire. That all the proof I needed. And Jack Bruce could sing, play very good bass (IMO 3rd Best Bassist) and write there hits. After them Rush.
    I would place Cream very high however my top 5 would go:
    1. ELP
    2. SRV And Double Trouble
    3. Cream
    4. Rush
    5. Genesis
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Bratmobile, the Melvins and Jawbreaker come to mind. I don't much go for the blues-rock power trio.
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Once again, haven't heard of any of those bands....
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    ClassicRockFanatic23;1857504 said:
    Once again, haven't heard of any of those bands....
    You've at least heard of the Melvins?! You said you liked Grunge!
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1857510 said:
    You've at least heard of the Melvins?! You said you liked Grunge!
    lol
    Quote Of The Day
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Ive heard of them, but honestly could not name one song by them. Im mostly in to the mainstream grunge. Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam especially.
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    ClassicRockFanatic23;1857504 said:
    Once again, haven't heard of any of those bands....
    Okay....not knowing SOME of those bands I might be able to understand....but not knowing RUSH!?! Go buy Permanent Waves and get yourself acquainted STAT!

    WOOPSIE EDIT: Didn't see you were talking about that other guy's post, or that you were OP. Sorry.
  • MdrnDayWarriorMdrnDayWarrior Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Nirvana and Rush come to mind.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    ClassicRockFanatic23;1857522 said:
    Ive heard of them, but honestly could not name one song by them. Im mostly in to the mainstream grunge. Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam especially.
    This is one of those 'get the pills to calm down' situations. Oh, the rants I've had about Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam make me bite carpets.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    ELP
    /thread



    other notables:
    Jimi Hendrix Experience/Band of Gypsys
    Cream
    Atomic Rooster
    King Crimson (once was a trio)
    Triumvirat
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Squaretriangles;1857529 said:
    Okay....not knowing SOME of those bands I might be able to understand....but not knowing RUSH!?! Go buy Permanent Waves and get yourself acquainted STAT!
    I know Rush! I saw them this summer up at SPAC..
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Squaretriangles;1857529 said:
    Okay....not knowing SOME of those bands I might be able to understand....but not knowing RUSH!?! Go buy Permanent Waves and get yourself acquainted STAT!
    He was talking about the bands Lolicat mentioned.
    Edit: ninja'd on that part.


    And for a three-piece band, The Police.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1857538 said:
    ELP
    /thread



    other notables:
    Jimi Hendrix Experience/Band of Gypsys
    Cream
    Atomic Rooster
    King Crimson (once was a trio)
    Triumvirat
    already 2 ELPs no surprise their :D
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Fizzeler;1857549 said:
    already 2 ELPs no surprise their :D

    Man I feel stupid. Ive heard of ELP, heard there really good, yet never heard one of there songs. What would you suggest I listen to?
  • blackfeltfedorablackfeltfedora Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    When I think "power trio" the immediate mental image is Rush.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    ClassicRockFanatic23;1857554 said:
    Man I feel stupid. Ive heard of ELP, heard there really good, yet never heard one of there songs. What would you suggest I listen to?
    Karn Evil9, the whole Tarkus album and I personally liked their Self-Titled album as well
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    ClassicRockFanatic23;1857554 said:
    Man I feel stupid. Ive heard of ELP, heard there really good, yet never heard one of there songs. What would you suggest I listen to?
    the entire discography from the self titled to Works Vol. 2
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1857588 said:
    the entire discography from the self titled to Works Vol. 2
    Coming from the #1 ELP fanboy on the forums lol :D
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    Fizzeler;1857594 said:
    Coming from the #1 ELP fanboy on the forums lol :D
    THE POWER OF CARL COMPELS YOU!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn9fkAGwJcM
    (double click video to watch)
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    hehehe.. what I would suggest for the Who...

    wow...that guy is great......hmm...I wish I hadn't spent all my Christmas money on Alice in Chains, Hendrix, Cream and Allman Brothers....
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1857601 said:
    THE POWER OF CARL COMPELS YOU!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn9fkAGwJcM
    (double click video to watch)
    lol good one ;)
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    1) Rush
    2) The Police
    3) Nirvana
    4) Cream
    5) ELP
    Honorable mention: Everclear (yeah, I like 'em....so sue me. I just dig their sound and Alex's voice.)
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Sleater-Kinney. Oh my God, I feel like an ass for not saying them already.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited January 2009
    -Electric Wizard
    -Rush
    -Sleep
    -YOB
    -Cream
    -Melvins
    -Nirvana
    -BORIS
    -Burning Witch
    -Muse
    -Wolfmother
    -Back Door Slam
    -Motorhead

    Some of my favorites.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1857726 said:
    -Electric Wizard
    Have Electric Wizard not used four members on their past few records? I thought it was only the first that had three.
  • skiddzmarkskiddzmark Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1857535 said:
    This is one of those 'get the pills to calm down' situations. Oh, the rants I've had about Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam make me bite carpets.
    i've argued many times over the genre listing of pearl jam.
    im a fan. the vocalist is one of the best of the 90's.
    they're not grunge, just became populer during the time it went mainstream

    to the discusion i say cream for the influence
    but nirvana or rush as my favorits
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Cream springs to mind immediately, followed by the Melvins and Motorhead. I feel Blue Cheer are also worth mentioning
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Stray Cats, The Jam, Nirvana, The Police, ZZ Top, Portishead, Grand Funk Railroad, Big Black, Sublime, Rush, Green Day, Dinosaur Jr, Motörhead, and Hüsker Dü.

    This is all just off the top of my head, though.
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Has to be cream. Rush, ZZ top, and the police are good to.
  • limelight_rushlimelight_rush Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Most Succesfull power trios were

    Genesis: (Collins, Banks, Rutherford)
    The Police: (Sting, Summers, Copeland)
    Rush: (Lee, Lifeson, Peart)

    The Best has to be Genesis, the have influenced a lot of bands and among these 3 they have one of the best prog rock song ever (Mama)
Sign In or Register to comment.