Most Over Rated Album Ever

DeadPhoenix223DeadPhoenix223 Road Warrior
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
i think it would have to be Master of Puppets. Everybody talks about how great it is, and it really isn't, but that's just my opinion, dont get mad at me if you love it...

Comments

• hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited January 2009
    "Now That's What I Call Music" Volume 1.

/thread.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    hawkofva;1862886 said:
    "Now That's What I Call Music" Volume 1.

/thread.
    I enjoy the older editions, if only for camp value.

Overated albums? Nevermind, it's the weakest of Nirvana's albums in my opinion.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1862966 said:
    N B 4 Zeppelin.
    IV is pretty good actually, everything else is overrated from an AOR point of view as they were inconsistent.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    ^Presence and Coda get no praise at all, though.
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1862980 said:
    ^Presence and Coda get no praise at all, though.
    O yea, I wasn't really counting them, I was refering to the others that do get undue praise.
  • HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1862942 said:
    I enjoy the older editions, if only for camp value.

Overated albums? Nevermind, it's the weakest of Nirvana's albums in my opinion.
    I love Nevermind. However, I think the reason that Nevermind is put on the top of "greatest albums of all time" lists instead of something like In Utero (which is, IMO, better musically) has more to do with the fact that Nevermind had such a huge cultural impact than anything.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Overrated is the most overrated word ever
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited January 2009
    DeadPhoenix223 said:
    Most Over Rated Album Ever
    None...not one single album is overrated. Opinions vary. You either like an album, dislike an album, or indifferent to an album.

Starting threads like these should be ban worthy.
    edited January 2009
    Hamsterhitman;1863315 said:
    I love Nevermind. However, I think the reason that Nevermind is put on the top of "greatest albums of all time" lists instead of something like In Utero (which is, IMO, better musically) has more to do with the fact that Nevermind had such a huge cultural impact than anything.
    Exactly. In Utero is vastly superior musically, but people ignore that.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Overrated? What does that mean?
    edited January 2009
    The most boring posts in these sorts of threads are the smart-arsed 'lol overrated is a dumm wurd/nothin iz ovurrated' posts.

Overrated means has far too much unjustifiable hype around it, generally pertaining to the 'public', although the definition of 'public' changes depending on the band's genre, because you can't rate Death Metal by the same public as Electro or Hip Hop.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1863502 said:
    The most boring posts in these sorts of threads are the smart-arsed 'lol overrated is a dumm wurd/nothin iz ovurrated' posts.

Overrated means has far too much unjustifiable hype around it, generally pertaining to the 'public', although the definition of 'public' changes depending on the band's genre, because you can't rate Death Metal by the same public as Electro or Hip Hop.
    omg the electro nerdz i hang out w/ haevn't herd of mai favrite deth mettle band tehy r so underr8ed!!!!
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1863502 said:

Except that it is justifiable, because the people that hype it enjoy the music.
    edited January 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1863535 said:
    Except that it is justifiable, because the people that hype it enjoy the music.
    Nothing is justifiable when kids run around screaming that Metallica are Gods and that their new album is the best ever. Seriously, overrated is not a dumb term because people are generally prone to hyperbole, and overrate things even to themselves.
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1863576 said:
    Nothing is justifiable when kids run around screaming that Metallica are Gods and that their new album is the best ever. Seriously, overrated is not a dumb term because people are generally prone to hyperbole, and overrate things even to themselves.
    They like the album a lot. Is that such a problem?

Yes, they probably haven't heard enough other music to make a completely accurate judgment on how much they enjoy the album, but has anyone? There's infinite music in the world, no one has heard it all.
    edited January 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1863608 said:
    They like the album a lot. Is that such a problem?

Yes, they probably haven't heard enough other music to make a completely accurate judgment on how much they enjoy the album, but has anyone? There's infinite music in the world, no one has heard it all.
    If I read one book by, say, Stephen King, and enjoy, then go out and give it a review saying that it has 'redefined literature, is the most important book anyone will ever read in their life', that is hyperbolic, and i am overrating it. Hyperbole, overstatement, it's overrating, whether or not you know better. One must be more refined with their appraisal of things, hence why we read multiple reviews, and never trust one source.
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1863628 said:
    If I read one book by, say, Stephen King, and enjoy, then go out and give it a review saying that it has 'redefined literature, is the most important book anyone will ever read in their life', that is hyperbolic, and i am overrating it. Hyperbole, overstatement, it's overrating, whether or not you know better. One must be more refined with their appraisal of things, hence why we read multiple reviews, and never trust one source.
    I'd call you a fool, but I wouldn't call the book overrated.
    edited January 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1863658 said:
    I'd call you a fool, but I wouldn't call the book overrated.
    I say that the critic was overrating the book, and if the public went along wit the critic, I'd say that it was overrated. Just as a badly written book can become popular within the right parameters, so can badly performed music become overrated. It doesn't matter whether it is someone's opinion is that the band is good, there are certain things that if we look at, you can recognise poor musicianship, production, lacklustre performances. Those things are free of arbritary 'it's my opinion' defences.
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1863679 said:
    I say that the critic was overrating the book, and if the public went along wit the critic, I'd say that it was overrated. Just as a badly written book can become popular within the right parameters, so can badly performed music become overrated. It doesn't matter whether it is someone's opinion is that the band is good, there are certain things that if we look at, you can recognise poor musicianship, production, lacklustre performances. Those things are free of arbritary 'it's my opinion' defences.
    I can see where you're coming from, but I don't really know how to voice what I mean in a coherent way (I've struggled making these posts not be a bunch of random sentences). Clearly we disagree, so let's just stop arguing before we kill each other.
    edited January 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1863732 said:
    I can see where you're coming from, but I don't really know how to voice what I mean in a coherent way (I've struggled making these posts not be a bunch of random sentences). Clearly we disagree, so let's just stop arguing before we kill each other.
    I can dig it.
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Kid A by Radiohead
    The Bends by Radiohead
    Ok Computer by Radiohead(good, just not godlike like everyone makes it out to be)
    Viva La Vida by Coldplay
    edited January 2009
    onidragon;1872761 said:
    Kid A by Radiohead
    The Bends by Radiohead
    Ok Computer by Radiohead(good, just not godlike like everyone makes it out to be)
    Viva La Vida by Coldplay
    I agree on the Radiohead, because I really never got Radiohead. I think they're ok, but not fantastic. The Coldplay album just received favourable reviews, however, it's not like it's raved about. I even liked the first single, it was a good protest song.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    onidragon;1872761 said:
    Kid A by Radiohead
    The Bends by Radiohead
    Viva La Vida by Coldplay
    >.<

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited January 2009
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1872765 said:
    I agree on the Radiohead, because I really never got Radiohead. I think they're ok, but not fantastic. The Coldplay album just received favourable reviews, however, it's not like it's raved about. I even liked the first single, it was a good protest song.
    Viva la Vida was voted as being better than Nevermind and The Battle of Los Angeles on another forum I frequent. Now say to my avatar that Viva La Vida's not overrated with a straight smiley face.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    onidragon;1872870 said:
    Viva la Vida was voted as being better than Nevermind and The Battle of Los Angeles on another forum I frequent. Now say to my avatar that Viva La Vida's not overrated with a straight smiley face.
    I did it.

I like Viva la Vida more than Nevermind and The Battle of Los Angeles, it's just more my thing.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols.
  • warthogdbwarthogdb Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    "Overrated" arguments are valid. There have been enough "Best of" polls, charts, and lists in the media for years to the point that some of the praise that artists/songs/albums receive is just regurgitated hype that people at large take for granted without actually knowing enough about the subject to have a valid opinion. Some of those accolades may be more warranted than others.

I think that Sgt Peppers is not as good as Rubber Soul, Revolver, or Abbey Road but it routinely is listed as the greatest album ever.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Sgt. Peppers
    Led Zep 4
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Hotel California