Seriously....

ElegyElegy Road Warrior
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
So I was waiting around at State Debate today for awards to be handed out (Member of the #5 team of Kansas, btw, haha), and I ended up getting into an argument with a couple of my team mates when I was told to tell a lie.

I said I don't like the Beatles.

Now, I know some of you here remember my infamous "In my opinion the Beatles suck" moment. and I'd like to apologize for that, and also, I had realized that for quite sometime, I just didn't connect with the music, and also disliked inherently perfect things, haha. Moving on though, I essentially came out of the Beatles closet, and they called me a hypocrite.

Why? Because they said I bashed on the Beatles alot.

The moments they cited were:

When an idiot called the killers ***, and I asked what music he listened to, and it was the Beatles (more on this later). For the sake of arguing, and because I didn't appreciate him insulting my favorite band. I said that they were overrated and Lennon was the only one that ever truly stood for something (Harrison and Bangledesh escaped me atm, and I don't remember hearing anything about Paul or Ringo)...

other incident, was apparently, when I was talking about how scene kids only like the beatles because it was hip, they thought, again, I was bashing on them.

So anyway, we argued about that for some time, then moved on to how mainstream pop is generally musically bad, which they didn't understand AT ALL.

Moving on, they wanted to know a band I considered "good" (apparently I have some pretty high standards...which isn't really true at all..) and I said the Who. one girl, who's an idiot, and annoying as hell, but somehow people still like her, said "what's your favorite song?"

me: baba O'riley

no response, but moving on, they asked me what they did for music.

Seriously?

So I went over their influences on punk, and showmanship, and the first real concept album (IMO), and they have no clue what I'm talking about. I catch a kid behind us out of the corner of my eye, listening intently, shaking his head at them, and I just turn and shake mine.

he's like "yeah dude...Pete freaking Townshend...he started it all". and I was happy that at least someone understood where I was coming from.

/rant

seriously though. am I a music elitist? or am i justified in at least KNOWING what's considered good, and knowing at least a bit about what I write...none of my friends really understand it...my second best friend (I have three, haha) listens to it, but it's a lot of power pop. which I'm FINE with people listening to, they just can't say it's God's gift to music...

anyway...yeah...

Comments

• Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited January 2009
    One of the requirements for being an elitist is loving the Beatles, so no.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Elegy;1863599 said:
    So I was waiting around at State Debate today for awards to be handed out (Member of the #5 team of Kansas, btw, haha), and I ended up getting into an argument with a couple of my team mates when I was told to tell a lie.

I said I don't like the Beatles.

Now, I know some of you here remember my infamous "In my opinion the Beatles suck" moment. and I'd like to apologize for that, and also, I had realized that for quite sometime, I just didn't connect with the music, and also disliked inherently perfect things, haha. Moving on though, I essentially came out of the Beatles closet, and they called me a hypocrite.

Why? Because they said I bashed on the Beatles alot.

The moments they cited were:

When an idiot called the killers ***, and I asked what music he listened to, and it was the Beatles (more on this later). For the sake of arguing, and because I didn't appreciate him insulting my favorite band. I said that they were overrated and Lennon was the only one that ever truly stood for something (Harrison and Bangledesh escaped me atm, and I don't remember hearing anything about Paul or Ringo)...

other incident, was apparently, when I was talking about how scene kids only like the beatles because it was hip, they thought, again, I was bashing on them.

So anyway, we argued about that for some time, then moved on to how mainstream pop is generally musically bad, which they didn't understand AT ALL.

Moving on, they wanted to know a band I considered "good" (apparently I have some pretty high standards...which isn't really true at all..) and I said the Who. one girl, who's an idiot, and annoying as hell, but somehow people still like her, said "what's your favorite song?"

me: baba O'riley

no response, but moving on, they asked me what they did for music.

Seriously?

So I went over their influences on punk, and showmanship, and the first real concept album (IMO), and they have no clue what I'm talking about. I catch a kid behind us out of the corner of my eye, listening intently, shaking his head at them, and I just turn and shake mine.

he's like "yeah dude...Pete freaking Townshend...he started it all". and I was happy that at least someone understood where I was coming from.

/rant

seriously though. am I a music elitist? or am i justified in at least KNOWING what's considered good, and knowing at least a bit about what I write...none of my friends really understand it...my second best friend (I have three, haha) listens to it, but it's a lot of power pop. which I'm FINE with people listening to, they just can't say it's God's gift to music...

anyway...yeah...
    In no way are you a music elitist. I respectfully disagree with your opinion of The Beatles, but that's your opinion, and I'm fine with that. Honestly, to like The Beatles, and deny any influence The Who had, is downright ignorant if you ask me, and shows you knew what you were talking about, while the others did not.

Just for future reference, Paul McCartney wrote some songs advocating British withdrawal from North Ireland, and Ringo opposes the continuation of the British monarchy.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    This thread is now about tacos

Discuss
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I'd call you both idiots for having the argument in the first place, but that's just me. Haha.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    clashcityrocker10;1863677 said:
    In no way are you a music elitist. I respectfully disagree with your opinion of The Beatles, but that's your opinion, and I'm fine with that. Honestly, to like The Beatles, and deny any influence The Who had, is downright ignorant if you ask me, and shows you knew what you were talking about, while the others did not.

Just for future reference, Paul McCartney wrote some songs advocating British withdrawal from North Ireland, and Ringo opposes the continuation of the British monarchy.

I detest that song from McCartney, because he wrote and released it without even checking up on his facts.
  • theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1863684 said:
    This thread is now about tacos

Discuss
    Dude! I love freakin' tacos!
    edited January 2009
    I like tacos with Sour Cream

mmmmm sour cream (drools)
  • ElegyElegy Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    clashcityrocker10;1863677 said:

Thanks.

And to Julio: I LIKE the Beatles know, beginning to understand and lover them, haha. And thanks for the Paul and Ringo facts.

Lolicat: Yeah, I know they're not the most talented band, but their that one band that I can pretty much listen to any song and love it.

I don't think I'll ever tire of Sam's Town, or their music in general.
    edited January 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1863689 said:
    I'd call you both idiots for having the argument in the first place, but that's just me. Haha.
    yeah. I shouldn't have continued with it, but I'm pretty argumentative, and IDK, it sort of feels good knowing at least that I know I'm right...and lol, the argument ended when one guy said (in response to me saying that the scene kids probably couldn't even name on song off of The White Album, Sgt. Pepper's, or Revolver...), he said "Yeah, well they just don't care..."

and I was just like..."THANK YOU for proving my point" and left.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1863804 said:
    I like tacos with Sour Cream

mmmmm sour cream (drools)
    Sour cream is delicious, but I rarely eat it on tacos. Does everyone like hard or soft shells? I like the soft shells better.
    edited January 2009
    clashcityrocker10;1863864 said:
    Sour cream is delicious, but I rarely eat it on tacos. Does everyone like hard or soft shells? I like the soft shells better.
    thread = JACKED. But I'm fine with it. I just needed to get that rant off my chest.

Soft shells > Hard shells.
    edited January 2009
    (is dead)
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Tacos>>>>>>>The Beatles.
    edited January 2009
    tacos are teh awesomeness

i like hard shells
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Tacos fail. Nachos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dog**** >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tacos.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1864224 said:
    Tacos fail. Nachos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dog**** >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tacos.
    You bastard, you insulted the holy tacos!
    edited January 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1864224 said:
    tacos>you
    edited January 2009
    So if I get this right:

Tacos>Nachos>WhiffleBallTony>The Beatles>Dog****
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1864507 said:
    So if I get this right:

Tacos>Nachos>a21schizoidman>WhiffleBallTony>The Beatles>Dog****>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nickelback>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>green day
    fixed
    edited January 2009
    ^Fail.
    Green Day are 66x the band Nickelback will ever be.
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1864523 said:
    ^Fail.
    Green Day are 66x the band Nickelback will ever be.
    yeah right, green day sucks ass dude, get over it

nickelback at least has a few catchy songs that dont make me want to gouge my eardrums out
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Pfft... IT's obviously

Frank Zappa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hungryfreak>Indian food>Tacos>a21schizoidman=Whiffleballtony>>>nachos>>>>>>>>>>dog****>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nickelback=Green Day
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Kenny is better than all of them.
    edited January 2009
    Ok, so, according to this thread:

Kenny>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Frank Zappa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HungryFreak>Indian Food>Tacos>a21=Tony>>>>>nachos>>>>The Beatles>>>>>>>>dog****>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nickelback=Green Day
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Kenny>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Frank Zappa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HungryFreak>India n Food>Tacos>a21=Tony>>>>>nachos>>>>The Beatles>>>>>>>>dog****>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nickelback= Green Day>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jonas Brothers= Soulja Boy
    edited January 2009
    Jonas Brothers at least don't just say "YOU" over and over, so Jonas Brothers>Soljah Boy.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1863614 said:
    The Killers are pretty much mainstream post-punk revival. Hating the Beatles is justifiable if you don't like the music though.
    ;)
    edited January 2009
    Gowienczyk;1864874 said:
    ;)
    stop it! quit derailing! this is about tacos!!

lol
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    JukeBoxHero;1864341 said:
    You bastard, you insulted the holy tacos!
    Holy tacos my ass. It's stupid like hell. You can't eat it, it keeps breaking.
    /thread

Oh and about the thread's minor subject, I don't think we should expect others to even know about The Who. If they don't care about rock, well it's their choice. It's just... less fun to discuss with those people about music.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1864539 said:
    yeah right, green day sucks ass dude, get over it

nickelback at least has a few catchy songs that dont make me want to gouge my eardrums out
    Listen to the American Idiot album on repeat and you'll end up liking it. You'll just never admit it.