History of Rock for Jan 25

AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
Jan 25

1956 - RCA Records released the first single from their new signing, Elvis Presley, coupling Heartbreak Hotel with I Was The One

1964 - Producer Phil Spector appeared on the panel of the BBC's Juke Box Jury which gave its verdict on new releases.

1973 - Always a fearful flyer David Bowie departs aboard the Queen Elizabeth II on a 100 day World Tour that opens in the US.

1976 - Bob Dylan hosts Night of The Hurricane II at the Houston Astrodome in support of boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter who is still in prison after 9 years of protesting his innocence. At the show were Bob Dyaln and his Rolling Thunderers, Issac Hayes, Stevie Wonder, Ringo Starr, Stephen Stills and Carlos Santana. Stills and Santana fought an instrumental duel on an extended version of Black Queen. Due to short notice and growing doubts about Carter's innocence only 30,000 of the expected 60,000 fans showed up. That coupled with the high costs of putting on the show only $10,000 was raised for Carter and that was a direct donation from the owners of The Astrodome.

1980 - Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, Acts II & III manage to hit #53 in the US and #75 in the UK

1984 - Yoko Ono made a $375,000 donation to Liverpool's old people's home Strawberry Fields, the institution that inspired the song.

1986 - The Dire Straits uptempo The Walk of Life hits #7 in the US.

1986 - Despite being from an album nearly 2 years old My Hometown from Born In The USA gets Bruce Springsteen a #6 hit in the US

1991 - Nikki Sixx and wife Brandi’s first child is born and named Gunner Nicholas Sixx. He measures fifty two centimeters long.

1991 - Paul McCartney records an acoustic before a small audience for MTV Unplugged. The show will premiere in April.

2003 - Alice Cooper performs at Birds Nest, Westworld, Scottsdale, AZ in a low key show without the stage set playing a selection of classics and covers.

Set List

No More Mr Nice Guy
Brown Sugar(Stones Cover)
Billion $ Babies
Is It My Body
Poison
Back In The USSR(Beatles Cover)
Welcome to my Nightmare
Go To Hell
My Generation(Who cover)
Elected
Cold Ethyl
Department Of Youth
Be My Lover
Lost in America
Honky Tonk Woman(Stones Cover)
Under My Wheels
Schools out
(encore)
Only Women Bleed
Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting(Elton John Cover)

Comments