Am I The Only Person That Feels...

UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
That Black by Pearl Jam is sort of lacking? There's way too many "oohs" and other nonsense near the end, it just feels like there could have been so much more potential for the songwriting in the ending and whenever I listen to it, I feel like it needs something more.

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    I always thought Pearl Jam were always missing something as a band, always found them a bit mediocre, personally.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Gowienczyk;1864923 said:
    I always thought Pearl Jam were always missing something as a band, always found them a bit mediocre, personally.
    I agree also nice sig I like Funkadelic, modest mouse, and smashing pumpkins
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    zeldazeppelin;1864969 said:
    I agree also nice sig I like Funkadelic, modest mouse, and smashing pumpkins
    :)
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Gowienczyk;1864983 said:
    :)
    yeah modest mouse is my favorite band behind X-Japan and smashing pumpkins in my top 10 bands
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    I agree there are a tad many, but I think it is a strong track overall.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    it does drag a tad towards the end, but it's always been my favorite song from that album (though that isn't saying a whole lot because i'm not a big fan).
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1865303 said:
    it does drag a tad towards the end, but it's always been my favorite song from that album (though that isn't saying a whole lot because i'm not a big fan).
    QFT. Except that I am a pretty big Pearl Jam fan.

It does drag a bit, but I still love the song.

...Actually, scratch the QFT, Once is probably my favorite song from the album. But I still love Black.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited January 2009
    They are much better when acoustics take center-stage, like Elderly Woman.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    I just don't like how Eddie Vedder would rather yell syllables for a minute or two rather than write a few more lyrics.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Ultimatum;1864835 said:
    That Black by Pearl Jam is sort of lacking? There's way too many "oohs" and other nonsense near the end, it just feels like there could have been so much more potential for the songwriting in the ending and whenever I listen to it, I feel like it needs something more.
    Nope. I never got the real appeal of the song either. I remember so many people going on and on about how incredible Black was so I wanted to give it a listen. I found it rather meh. It's not horrible but I really didn't see what all the fuss was.
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, Ive never liked Black that much. Like Elderly Women and Yellow Ledbetter a lot more.
  • harbingerofdoomharbingerofdoom Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1865303 said:
    ^^ this

10 is the only album i really like, and black is the best off that album. the ending doesnt really bother me and its not quite as annoying as the live version which seems to drag on for about 13 years....
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I guess I'll go against the grain and say that I like it.
    I always thought of Vedder kind of coming apart emotionally at the end and being unable to verbalize whatever it is he's feeling. The whole song to me feels like a progression from a simple statement of longing and love to a cry of outrage and sorrow.
    Maybe I'm reading too far into it, and maybe others (including Eddie Vedder) have a completely different interpretation, but I think one of the strength's of PJ's music is its ability to be interpreted several different ways depending on the listener.

But still, I wouldn't call it the greatest PJ song, nor would I say it's the best song on that album.
  • harbingerofdoomharbingerofdoom Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    thedoorsdk;1866652 said:

But still, I wouldn't call it the greatest PJ song, nor would I say it's the best song on that album.
    i cant say that there is a best when it comes to them. on the whole, i dont really like them.. even flow, alive and black are pretty much the only songs of theirs that i do like. i cant explain why i like even flow, i just do. alive, its the lyrics that got me and black, well.... lets just say it probably has more to do with what was going on the first time i heard it than the song itself.