Power metal

zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
edited July 2011 in History of Rock
This thread is just for power metal or any heavy music with keyboard

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    I'm probably the biggest fan of second/third wave power metal that I know of. :D
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    I see so what are your top bands because power metal is my favorite sub-genre of music
    edited January 2009
    I guess the first to come to mind are:

Axenstar
    Dionysus
    Firewind
    Helstar
    Mystic Prophecy
    edited January 2009
    dang my top 5 are
    1.X-Japan
    2.nighwish
    3. sabaton
    4.Helstar
    5. Rhapsody
  • CommanderDuffCommanderDuff Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Nothing beats Virgin Steele. NOTHING!
    edited January 2009
    CommanderDuff;1880693 said:
    Nothing beats Virgin Steele. NOTHING!
    ok if you say so =p
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Virgin Steele bore me. I'm partial to a little Jag Panzer though.
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1881038 said:
    Virgin Steele bore me. I'm partial to a little Jag Panzer though.
    i agree virgin Steele is boring,very boring and jag panzer is good
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I'm somewhat of a fan of power metal, the ones I listen to primarily are Helloween and Blind Guardian but I don't mind listening to other groups and I enjoy them as well.
    edited January 2009
    JukeBoxHero;1882041 said:
    I'm somewhat of a fan of power metal, the ones I listen to primarily are Helloween and Blind Guardian but I don't mind listening to other groups and I enjoy them as well.
    Its my favorite type of music
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Huge Jag Panzer fan myself. I have too many power metal LPs and albums to mention but to dip my 2 cents into the pool some of my all time favorites are Dream Evil, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Luca Turilli, Gamma Ray, HolyHell, Stratovarius, Primal Fear, Angra and my personal favorite... Manowar!
    edited January 2009
    Onslaught_fei;1886088 said:
    Huge Jag Panzer fan myself. I have too many power metal LPs and albums to mention but to dip my 2 cents into the pool some of my all time favorites are Dream Evil, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Luca Turilli, Gamma Ray, HolyHell, Stratovarius, Primal Fear, Angra and my personal favorite... Manowar!
    I like a few of the bands you mentioned
  • itachiweasel92itachiweasel92 Unsigned
    edited June 2011
    mystic prophecy are great needs the whole of regressus on rock band or even rock band mystic prophecy be good
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited June 2011
    Bumps galore lately.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited July 2011
    Ah Power Metal. A sub-genre filled to the brim with great bands, though that can be said with many Metal sub-genres in general.
    edited July 2011
    Why would some necro a thread I made in 09 ?
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited July 2011
    I'm a bigger fan of the US style than the European style, but I'm a huge fan nonetheless. It's really cool finding those hidden gems like Cauldron Born, Sacred Oath, and Titan Force to name a few. Last year's Crystal Viper album is a vast improvement over their 2009 release and I found quite a bit of enjoyment out of the new Hibria.
    edited July 2011
    I'm still a huge fan of power metal and this crosses all styles of it at this point. I can appreciate traditional acts like Helstar, Virgin Steele and similar bands.. but truthfully, I've always and still appreciate melodic power metal like Dark Moor for instance a LOT more than aforementioned bands. There's just something about melodic and symphonic bands when they are done right.

Favorite power metal band at current is progressive/power act Wuthering Heights.
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited July 2011
    Would anyone consider Blackguard as Extreme Power Metal? Because they're considered power metal when I search for them on Rock Band 3 on the RBN. They're one band I like, I also like Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Angra, Rhapsody (of Fire), Firewind, Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce and others.
    edited July 2011
    MegaIronDragonDeth;4452852 said:
    Would anyone consider Blackguard as Extreme Power Metal?

No, the band is Melodic Death Metal.

Edit: To add something, I forgot to mention in my last post that I'm becoming a bigger fan of Progressive Power Metal bands like Anubis Gate, my favorite at the moment.
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited July 2011
    LegendofRock3021;4452853 said:
    No, the band is Melodic Death Metal.

In my opinion, they are Melodic Death Metal as you said but with elements of power metal and folk. They could also be considered Extreme Power Metal since they have songs that are sort of like power metal with extreme metal elements too like the vocals and stuff.
    edited July 2011
    MegaIronDragonDeth;4452857 said:
    In my opinion, they are Melodic Death Metal as you said but with elements of power metal and folk.
    Folk Metal yes, you're confusing the Symphonic Metal you hear with Power Metal.
    MegaIronDragonDeth;4452857 said:
    They could also be considered Extreme Power Metal since they have songs that are sort of like power metal with extreme metal elements too like the vocals and stuff.
    They can't be since they don't have any Power Metal elements, it's Symphonic Metal which I said above. Similar to Children of Bodom in respect that they're Melodic Death Metal that often gets mistaken for Power Metal even though they're not.
    edited July 2011
    They can't be since they don't have any Power Metal elements, it's Symphonic Metal which I said above. Similar to Children of Bodom in respect that they're Melodic Death Metal that often gets mistaken for Power Metal even though they're not.
    Children of Bodom does have power metal influences though, which is completely unavoidable.
    edited July 2011
    Gowienczyk;4452939 said:
    Children of Bodom does have power metal influences though, which is completely unavoidable.

I agree with that, the influence is there for sure.
    edited July 2011
    Hell, in some cases; it was far more than an influence; especially on songs like Towards Dead End.